City of York Council Employee Reviews

Bullying from the top down
Administrator (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire11 February 2019
Bulling goes on and if they don’t get what they want or you don’t agree you are restructured out of a job.

More work and less money to save money

The louder type of person you are the better you get on
Pros
Able to work from home
Cons
Lot of bullying
Opertive (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire26 July 2018
It is a good place to work was happy in my roll for years it helped me alot. over the last couple of years things changed and staff morale was low.

Unfortunately i had to leave due to childcare that the council couldnt approve it took months for a answer and was a managers decision even tho other staff members do so.

The pension,hoildays and sick pay are geat benifits.
But they expect more work out of you with no thanks or rewards and the office staff get a wage rise for this and big brother is watching you on your travels.

I learnt alot working there and gained some great experience and found that the grass is geener on the other side.
Pros
Pension
Cons
More jobs for no extra pay
Manual operative (Current Employee) –  Hazel court30 April 2018
Good company to work for just not enough hours I have worked there for four and a half years wanting to change my hours good early starts and finishes but not enough pay
Local Council Customer Service role
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  York City Centre, North Yorkshire26 April 2018
A good employer overall, the role was stressful and very fast paced (literally non stop at times), but employees were well supported and the staff mainly friendly. Not all departments integrated or cooperated with one another as well as they should have done which made work harder for us as first point of contact.
Pros
Well paid for the role, friendly team
Cons
Stressful and frustrating at times
Supportive and productive environment
Housing Development Manager (Former Employee) –  York18 February 2018
Great colleagues and management but usual local government issue of trying to achieve too much with too few resources. Very challenging but very rewarding and great learning experience.
Pros
great pension
Cons
too much work-not enough funding
Fun
bin man (Former Employee) –  York14 January 2018
Really good place to work for if you like traveling and working long hours it’s definatly worth it if you get the hours in.... good bunch of guys to work with
Coyc
Income Officer (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire19 November 2017
Good place to work - met some nice people. Learnt many aspects of a business especially around finance. Dealt with customers everyday most difficult and vunerable and as such learnt a lot
Fun Place to work
Leisure Assistance (Lifeguard) (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire12 October 2017
It was a fun place to work with great work colleagues, on day to day i would be in charge of the cleanliness of the centre and the health and safety of the customers and if needed the First Aid to customers along with Accident Report forms
Pros
Plenty of Fitness
Cons
Warm and muggy working conditions
Very organised
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  York28 September 2017
You got a list of things what needed cleaning and usually a set time to do it in so I learned good time management, and to look for minor details of what I was doing, and I had to work around a lot of different people so I learned good customer cervices skills.
Pros
great boss
Cons
can be long hors
Communications Officer - Temporary (Current Employee) –  York19 September 2017
The people are friendly, it has a good work life balance and you get to know quite a lot of people who do all sorts of different roles throughout the city.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Somewhat restrictive in what you can do as it's public sector
Friendly and professional
English Language Assistant (Former Employee) –  York3 September 2017
I was made to feel part of the family. They had a professional operation, and a team of committed and knowledgeable teachers and tutors. I think they would have helped me a lot in my professional development.
Pros
Meaningful work
Cons
Minimal hours are available, usually
review
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire10 July 2017
Working for the City of York was great experience and I was able to learn a number of things whilst there. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting like-minded individuals.
Pros
staff, holidays
Cons
N/a
I worked for City of York Council (Asset & Configuration Management Assistant)
Asset & Configuration Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire4 May 2017
Great support by management during my time on contract, particularly my line manager. Made to feel part of the team.

I learnt some fantastic new skill to further my career will miss working for City of York Council. If the opportunity to work here again i will definitely return to City of York Council.
Pros
Working from home, flexible shifts
Cons
Short term contracts if temping
Good working base, supporting staff
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haxby, North Yorkshire7 April 2017
Very typical nursing home of the elderly, in my option it needed a lot of updating bring to the home into the recent criteria of the standard of living, the staff were pleasant enough.
Traditional Council in a great City
Manager (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 April 2017
Traditional Council in a great City means that you get the benefits of stability, work/life balance etc but little reward or recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Flexi leave, paretnal leave etc
Cons
Salary progression
Varied, busy and energizing
Business Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire30 January 2017
Each day is varied, busy and mainly independent working across the Council, liaising with various departments and colleagues when necessary.
Having large office based experience, working for the Council is just another avenue of an office environment.
The management are extremely friendly, helpful and co-operative and everyone works in teams, sharing knowledge and skills across the range of services provided.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when everything comes together across the different departments within the time frame, everyone is content and a job well done.
Pros
Currently temporary contract
Cons
Flexible
Enjoyed my role as cleaner. The different types of roles.
School cleaner (Former Employee) –  Schools23 January 2017
Many different jobs to do. Working indoors and outdoors. Cleaning as part of a team. Sorting deliveries to main store cupboards. cleaning of toilets and sinks, filling soap dispensers and toilet roll holders. Cleaning (hoovering, cleaning tables and sinks) tidying classrooms. Outside I was cleaning windows picking litter up and emptying of the outside bins. Deep cleaned during holidays.
Pros
Split shifts
Ok
Executive PA (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire20 December 2016
OK to work here. Quite a nice office environment and lots of lovely people.

Hot desking situation is a problem though - staff don't have allocated seats/desks.
Life guard and fitness instructor
Duty Manager, Leisure Assistant and Gym Instructor (Former Employee) –  York10 November 2016
Terrible, never got paid correctly, no chance of promotion as they Management freely admitted that they were more interested in filling in job vacencies then developing staff. Any issues raised were replied by being told to leave if you didn't like the job. I was threatened with disceplinery action after being signed off work for two weeks with depression.
Pros
Cons
everything
Professional environment.
Taxi Licensing Officer (Former Employee) –  York City25 October 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for the Building Society (however, it was a long time ago). I especially enjoyed meeting new people and the management team were very supportive and helpful.
Pros
Professional work colleagues.
Cons
Limited promotion opportunites.