City of Edinburgh Council Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh4 June 2018
The City of Edinburgh council offers flexible working patterns, good pension scheme, staff benefits and annual leave entitlement, in house training courses.
Good career to begin in council
Housing officer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh14 October 2018
I have enjoyed a long service in the council, I feel theres been a great many changes over the years which eventually can lead to staff feeling a bit demoralised and needing a change but overall it’s a very good place to work and gives a lot of work experience that would benefit those wanting to move into different work further in their career.
Pros
Too many changes
Cons
Good holidays/wage, lovely colleagues
I really loved this job!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  School13 September 2018
- No day was ever the same!
- I worked beside amazing people who had so many talents and shared them with me
- Very supportive management
- Everyone worked as a team
- The pay was insulting for the skillset the staff had
- Most enjoyable part of the job - you never knew what would happen next - each day was different!
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
Poor pay
Fun place to work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh29 October 2018
The is a good place to work.the most enjoyable part of working for the council is the fact u know u have help to keep a building clean and tidy and sa
Pros
Overtime
city of joke council
Social Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh23 July 2018
split shift, learn nothing new same old , different day, line management ok higher management are a joke, actually turning up in the morning, helping others with day to day tasks
Pros
nothing
Cons
split shifte
Professional environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh6 August 2018
There is a lot of opportunity to grow and expand your experience at City of Edinburgh Council, all you need to do is show your willingness to learn and be flexible!
Pros
Inclusive
agency contract
Contact Call Agent (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh26 June 2018
answering calls for housing repairs
adhering to computer generated figures
liaising with planners
arranging appointments
advising maintenance managers
Pros
Cons
extremely boring
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Waverley Court, Edinburgh2 August 2017
Enjoyed the freedom of investigating and solving problems. Contact and interaction with colleagues at all levels. Felt appreciated and valued member of staff.
Pros
Valued member of staff
Cons
salary is very low
Mixed bag
Scottish Welfare Fund Officer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT23 June 2015
Great premises at Waverley and some perks but very low salary. Not much flexibility in role. Some odd cultural practices. Overly heavy handed needlessly at times and management inflexible. Worked for two other local authorities and this was sadly the worst. Chief exec lovely lady though. Was here 2 years.
Pros
environment
Cons
Hr
Challenging and extremely interesting
Community Education Worker (Former Employee) –  Variety17 October 2017
The job involved working with a range of people from children to adults in a variety of settings from hostels, schools, community centres, churches and residential settings including international work.
Much of the work demanded you being self motivated and involved seeing pieces of work completed from education packs, issue based work like anti-bullying, addiction and HIV/AIDS.
Also the residential work involved living in different locations with children and adults and international work in Belarus, Italy, Canada, Denmark, Germany which gave you an insight into different facilities, cultures, travel and organisational skills.
It was extremely interesting as well as challenging but offered such a variety of work and personal experience and insight into human nature.
Pros
Variety of people
Cons
long periods of work
Good job run by monkeys
Waste And Cleansing Driver Crew Leader Agency (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh28 January 2018
Not a bad job bit dirty but the laughs are good management haven't got a clue would never work there again always trying to keep you to your time when the job is complete also
enjoyable workplace
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  City of Edinburgh27 February 2018
Loved my job withing the council, unfortunately budget cuts made me leave my post before redeployment was enforced, I would go back to work for this employer.
Environmental Officer
Environmental Officer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh30 July 2016
Great Company to work for, great benefits, great pay and also great wirk environment. I would recommend working for them, as I had no issue and great training.
Good
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh30 September 2015
Working with the council has many great benefits, the pay is good, good annual leave and good pension. You get treated good however for me personally it's not challenging enough.
O
Social Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh20 July 2016
Perfect company to work for
I have enjoyed working for them for four years
You receive years pay rise alongside a well paid salary
Excellent local team
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh City, City of Edinburgh9 April 2017
Worked in a team where staff support was particularly high with in the team but very poor between senior management and the team. Never came across as their concern or their role. Very clearly moved to a corporate management style of "do what you are told and do not challenge senior managers authority or decisions". Felt very much like it was constantly moving more to a them and us situation. No real connection with staff teams and no real recognition from senior managers that this was the case. Blame culture and atmosphere of fear also seemed to be much more prevalent and on the increase.
Pros
Supportive team environment
Cons
Constantly asked to do more with less becoming overly pressured
Lovely Team but poor pay
School Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh7 January 2018
Love the work but it actually costs me to go to work with childcare etc. The entry pay is very poor and was not made clear to me at the interview. I am now having to look elsewhere.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Poor pay
If your face fits you'll do fine, if it doesn't you could well be looking at a nervous breakdown.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  JGHS13 September 2013
After a morning of watching one's it's off to the staffroom. It is the highlight of my day. Good chat with good friends. After break, is back to watching one's back again until lunchtime. Everyone seems to do their own thing. It is back to watching one's back again until one decide it is safe to go home.

I am sure I must have learned something at some point, however, I know I have forgotten for far more than I have ever learnt.

As I mentioned, your co-workers are diverse bunch. You will find plenty of people that you will get along with. You're quite likely to make very good friends if you're up for it.

The hardest part of the job is resisting the pool the dark side if it gets a grip of you. If it doesn't, you're lucky, you will probably never even know it exists. I pray you will see your employment out in blissful ignorance.

The most enjoyable part of the job is going home.
Pros
The friend you'll make.
Cons
Weak management and internal politics.
Review
Social Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh13 September 2017
the city of Edinburgh council is a fair place to work the staff are excellent at there jobs and work long hours doing a very demanding job for there community
worked as consultant
Remedy Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Scotland16 October 2017
worked well with the staff , who all seemed very able and willing to learn. I provided Remedy training to 30 staff and vendors.
I additionally went to provide consultancy for the Remedy product.
The client was trying to understand the capabilities and features that were no longer supported in the new product.
Pros
good environment
Cons
A little silo'ed