City University London

City University London Employee Reviews

United Kingdom33 reviews
I had a good time working there as people are very friendly and easy workplace culture, which is always nice! My manger is great, colleges is great! The environment is also great.
If you’re from a ethnic minority background and don’t mind being verbally assaulted, racist comments made towards you and your religion, being picked on for not being part of a group, enjoy every move being watched or you’re simply able to sell your soul then look no further! Join the racist intolerant bigotry university!
Working for City was an enjoyable expierence. I felt supported by my mangement and my co workers were lovely. If I had a problem with my work there was a wealth of expierence amongst the team to solve it.
Wonderful place to work (part-time) as the scheme allows you to work around your academic work obligations. Typical shift differ between 4-8 hours and the job allows you to work on your communicative and networking skills while advocating for the university.
I was glad to be a part of the financial team at City, as the people working there are great and the support from the colleagues was just incredible!
Amazing environment, great administration great colleagues and minds. definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a career in academia and research, very good.
I learned a lot about university life, the staff and the many different departments and the work processes.

I enjoyed working with and got on very well with colleagues at all levels. There was an excellent work ethos. I enjoyed working with a lively, fun bunch of people and the managers were all so helpful and understanding.

I would have loved to have continued working at the university, but i was only in a temp position. A permanent role there would have been fantastic.
Pros
Enjoyed the work and great lively colleagues
Cons
awkward journey from home, but not really a concern
La tipica giornata lavorativa iniziava alle 9 della mattina e terminava alle 19 della sera (in base alla mole di lavoro da portare a termine l'orario si poteva anche protrarre). Vi era una pausa pranzo di 1 ora, con piccole pause caffè annesse.
Le competenze acquisite sono differenti:

- sviluppo e validazione di un modello numerico per predire il rumore aerodinamico

- pianificazione di una campagna computazionale

- gestione di una ingente mole di dati (>1Tb)

- gestione di un codice in-house parallelo (SUSA) ai volumi finiti scritto in Fortran ed eseguito su cluster (HPC).

All'interno della struttura vi erano diverse aree che permettavano un corretto svolgimento dell'attività lavorativa come punti ristoro (con una varietà notevole di cibo), aree relax, bar, laboratorio informatico dotato di un numero notevole di postazioni munite di pc individuali con accesso privato, wi-fi libero, possibilità di lavorare anche fino ale 24.

La parte più difficile è stata sicuramente quella di rispettare le scadenze nei tempi prestabiliti, e con le esigenze del caso. Al contrario la parte più piacevola è stata intefracciarmi con persone di nazionalità differente, rispettarele le loro abitudini e conoscere anche la loro cultura, discutere insieme anche di eventuali dubbi dal punto di vista lavorativo.
I worked at City University and it was actually in the HR Department. After few years I can say that it is that place where you can perfectly fit if you don't have ambition at all and if you like to be told what to do. There is no place for that extra mile, within HR and within the University. I could describe it as an "old style" place where rules are already set up and it is very difficult to change any concept. There is no space to change processes or to make them more adaptable to other's needs, which means that your department might not adapt to new challenges or new ideas you bring to the department. If you are lucky and your line manager is flexible, you might find it easier, but the probability is quite low. Also, there is a very little place for development and it takes a long time.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Very transactional and repetitive - lack of development
Was the worst place i work soo stressful at all times the management was all over the place but the workers was like a second family It was hard to get the materials I needed to do the job.
Pros
The staff was great
Cons
The management was awful
I have been working in City, University of London as a Visiting Lecturer since 2010 and as a research associate since 2015. City has a good working environment with its friendly environment and good facilities.
The most enjoyable aspect of this job was that I got to work within a school and gain invaluable experience. I developed my organisational and time-management skills.
Pros
Transport is included within the pay
Cons
No cons
Only because of cuts to education sector i havent continue working here. it was a brilliant experience and it positively shifted my learning curve. I hope to go back
The team at the University is amazing. Always willing to assist you throughout the working process, giving all the support and understanding.

Definitely is a good place to gain hands on experience while working with a great team.
Represented the university to potential new students. Helped to ensure a smooth running process of the day by being always being on hand to offer help.
Worked as part of a team to design research project. Excellent opportunity to pursue personal growth while working with a talented team who provided nuanced and interesting perspectives on public policy.
I enjoyed my work life when contracting for City University, was a shame when the contract came to an end as it was a warm and friendly atmosphere, would work there again given the chance.
It is a good place to work with opportunities to develop your career if you are in a junior role. However, at a senior level opportunities for progression are very limited.
To help as much aspkossible. Be highly alert for other students safety and wellbeing. I learnt how to teach, how to organise events and interact with many different types of people. Management were friendly and encouraging,
A typical day at work sees me autonomous over my day to day work, liaising with people of all levels of seniority and backgrounds. Management are supportive and encouraging and co-workers enjoy banter on a day to day basis but exercise a work had paly hard ethic. I have learned how to exercise emotional intelligence in this role and enjoy the people interaction and project delivery elements of the role most.
Pros
Employee benefits, flixible working, community spirit
Cons
Logn hours during project delivery
This experience was a great way of enhancing my skills. It also taught me a lot about time management as I was involved in these activities while studying my undergraduate degree.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City University London. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2