City & Guilds Employee Reviews

Highly professional and structured business
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  EC120 February 2018
A typical day involved Internal Stakeholder engagement and liaison with external stakeholders to secure goods & services.
Learned professional procurement best practice.
Well organised management structure.
Most enjoyed working on educational materials that can change other peoples lives for the better.
Pros
Very structured and well organised
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul's Station20 November 2017
A fun, highly motivating office work space with a good team balance and great management. Would recommend to parents as well as career focused individuals.
Pros
Help with nursery care
Cons
Can be high stress
Good Marketing structure
Campaigns Manager (Former Employee) –  London13 January 2018
A good structure to the team, they took time to educate their staff and looked for those who were performing well for advancement. Really understood the importance of marketing within business
It was a Disaster
Trainer Assessor (Current Employee) –  Scotland25 November 2012
When taken on at City and Guilds we were promised a bonus, a long term employment and an case load of about 30 to 40, we ended up with no bonus, redundancy after 1 year and a case load of about 60, the management readdly didnt understant the tasks at hand nor the company that they had the contract with, they made desicions that cost a lot of money, more than they were getting in
Pros
n/a
Cons
long hours, changing paperwork every week and expect you to keep it up dated
fun workplace
Fully qualified Domestic electrician (Former Employee) –  London / Gatwick Airport, West Sussex25 April 2018
trained at london gatwick as a fully qualified electrician for a while, before setting up self employed business. typical day to day work of an electrician.
Productive, fun and customer focussed
SAP Operational Support Analyst/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  London27 December 2013
The day begins with downloading reports of files in error and Incidents assigned to the team, prioritise and allocate work to the team depending on urgency and volume to ensure that work is completed within SLA to exceed customer service. The rest of the day is divided in to several tasks, consist of working on escalations, support and train the team on complex incident investigations. Analyse data for root cause analysis and monthly management reports and use the findings to raise change requests and work with other departments in the organisation to prevent or reduce errors, either technical or procedural.

I have a good working relationship with my team and all management and I am well respected by all. I am a Team Leaders and second in charge taking all the responsibilities during my manager’s absence.

There are several enjoyable parts of the job, the colleagues that I work with within the organisation, the different daily challenges I face and working to achieve them. The satisfaction of training my team and knowing that what I have taught, assist them greatly in their role within the organisation. Raising change requests through data analysis work and managing them from testing to production resulting in saving time, effort and money.
Pros
Staff benefit package including a good pension package
Cons
20 hours travelling time per week (back and forth from Leicester to London). Travelling expenses
Busy and intense place to work in.
Customer Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  St Pauls, London10 October 2014
interactions throughout day not many occasions to speak with colleagues/friends - except within work related matters.
Reasonably well management - except for system problems.
No gabs between calls, there is a slightly longer gab between emails, and emails and calls.
Dealing with customers.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
No time really to socialise/network with colleagues
great place to learn
ta (Former Employee) –  Bradford City Centre, West Yorkshire14 March 2018
i really enjoyed my time with this college, they were very welcoming and found it very comfortable to learn here. the staff and students made me feel welcome that gave me a relaxed and can do attitude.
Professional & dedicated workforce
Business Design Manager (Former Employee) –  London15 March 2013
City & Guilds was a great place to work. Professional hardworking colleagues and top class environment. They offered great benefits and an exceptional work/life balance.
Pros
excellent salary and benefits package
Cons
job insecurity
Delivers on values
Application Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  London3 February 2018
A great place to work. Continues to deliver quality products and services. Working to ensure that people are provided with the means to improve and progress in their carer.
Probably not the nicest job in the world
Adult literacy teacher (Former Employee) –  Gateshead29 October 2012
I was not working for City and Guilds, but for a training provider that was more concerned with marginal profits at the expense of people than people themmselves.

I was working as a literacy teacher in Gateshead from 2005 to retirement in 2010 and, although I would not wish to consider re-entering the area of teaching essential skills to the unemployed, I wouldbe prepared to consider otyher teaching options, or related activities.
Pros
none that i can recall
Cons
far too much expected -- including work into the evenings, for very marginal rewards. poor management
me at collge
Maths Entry Level (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness22 January 2018
fun games going to studdiy then sit examse to high standerd meeting up with mate at back time not much more to say really wot u see is wot u get i try my best at new things
Fun place to work
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  London and Essex8 September 2016
A typical day for a Business Development Manager is going out to customers and spending time with them understanding their needs for the the organisation, department and learners. Providing them a world class service in education and solution providing qualification, e resources and consultancy services that provides cost savings and quality learning.

I enjoy meeting new people and long existing client and know that we are to help change peoples lives.
Pros
Really look after staff, work life balance good
good working environment
Shoe Repairer (Current Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London15 November 2017
i studied with a company to get my city and guilds qualification, it was a good working environment, and great to meet people from all walks of life. it has allowed me to gain a new skill that i hope will take me further in life.
Pros
weekend only
Cons
Not a place I would recommend working
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London26 June 2017
Work/Life balance seemed to depend on teams and line managers and the environment was relentless and unsupportive. Processes and procedures changed constantly and communicated poorly.
Great company
Product Development Helpdesk Adviser (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 April 2017
I have worked at City & Guilds for two years now and have absolutely no regrets. Personal development is encouraged and no day is the same.

Management is brilliant, people are lovely.

Can't fault my experience.
Fun Work Place
Customer Relations Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 February 2017
Helping others at times of need, very rewarding job fantastic work location and management. Was working on a temp contact and was extended for a few extra months.
Tenhnology developer
Learning Technology Developer (Former Employee) –  London19 January 2013
I am a Technology developer and Trainer at City & Guilds with several years extensive commercial experience in developing new systems, creating in-house learning materials and training, for large scale project roll-outs such as System Application and Product projects (SAP), bespoke reporting tools, SharePoint-delivered intranet tools and in-house database programs.

I have an aptitude and passion for learning new skills and developing others, using existing, new and emerging techniques. I have a diverse background in technology implementation and I am adept at coping with change, and flourish under pressure.
Productive, fun, relaxed and serious environment
Supply Management and Distribution (Former Employee) –  London, ENG27 July 2014
The environment in city and guilds is very friendly helpful and relaxed. A typical day working there is quite stressful as they are a busy bunch. The departments are very serious and they enjoy what they do, it is not just about perfection but also helping each other out, making mistakes and learning from them. We are given many chances to make as many mistakes as we can because we as a team are told that not everyone is perfect, we all make mistakes.

The co-workers in city and guilds are extremely friendly, helpful and funny, the best part about working there is the fact that everyday is actually a new day. You are doing the same thing but the communication levels between the co-workers exceed all the time leaving behind marks of laughter.

What I learned during management is the skill to manoeuvre according to time adherently, working pace to pace against orders, making amends to each mistakes I've made and being organised. Listening to instructions is mildly important as everything has to be done right according to plan. So we do take into consideration that in times of seriousness listening is a virtue.

It was very difficult to settle down although I was only there for a couple of days. The tasks were very hard to corporate with at first but the more practise, patience and organisation I put into each orders the quicker and more adapt I became with the placement role.
Pros
Half an hour lunch break finish work early one hour lunch break finish regular time 4:30-5:00pm
Good place to work and good benefits
Quality Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ENG11 May 2015
I work on my own pace every morning, prioritising my workload.

After almost 11 years of work experience I have a in depth knowledge of Quality Assurance and how it works within an Awarding Body Organisation.

The team members I work with are all helpful, and support eachother.

At times the workload can be very hectics with alot of reports to process to deadlines.

I dont feel pressurised at work so I work on my pace making sure I manage my time so things are all done on time.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
not much progression in the workplace