Citizens Advice Employee Reviews

CAB advisor
Assessor (Former Employee) –  Warrington23 April 2018
Speaking to Clients assessing the issues and requesting advise from a supervisor, relaying this to the client and typing up the notes on the computer system
Pros
Sense of helping people wiht personal issues
really help full
shop Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea9 April 2018
they are helping my with work experience and my anxiety its only for a year but they inspire me and make me wanna work more then ever and i love srting and helping people
Pros
flexable and friendly
Very good.
Gateway Assessor/Trainee Adviser (Current Employee) –  Doncaster9 April 2018
Very good place to work.

A typical day includes interviewing clients, advising clients on legal and social issues, data management, booking appointments and answering telephone queries.
Pros
Reimbursed reasonable transport for volunteers.
Cons
N/a
Happy that I didn't get the job here
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport3 April 2018
A friend had a great experience as a volunteer at their local citizens advice, nearing the end of my studies and with my current work contract coming to an end I was on thethe lookout for another job and applied for a vacancy at my local office in Newport. I secured an interview which went well, however was not offered the job. What I didn't realise was that my neighbor had worked there, as I found out after my interview. Their reaction to my disappointment at not being successful was shocking, they had volunteer at the office and told me that whilst at first all seemed good things soured quickly when they were unable, due to illness, to go to training and had to take time off. It was only temporary but they were made to feel very uncomfortable, by management, rather than being appreciated for giving there time for free. Needless to say they left. They also noticed a generally unpleasant atmosphere, amongst paid and volunteer, it didn't appear that people were happy, and probably spent time looking for better jobs. My friend had been advised to work there but it seemed the management had changed and not for the good, high turnover of volunteers
Pros
Free training
Cons
Ugly atmosphere
Good for volunteering
Volunteer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire23 March 2018
Have plenty of opportunities to learn and gain valuable skills.
Friendly atmosphere and great working environment.
Volunteering hours can be flexible.
Challenging
Receptionist and an Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 March 2018
Working for Citizen's Advice Bureau is challenging as you are faced with different people and families that struggle to pay their bills, pay their loans and deal with tax.
However this role is also rewarding as you are given the opportunity to help resolve these issues for people.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Demanding
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hastings20 March 2018
although i was a volunteer, i found that i got a lot of respect from mnagement and was often relied upon for most of the behind the scenes amin work such filing and photo copying. however, i did make a lot of friends there and got a lot of responsibility which helped improve my organisation and communication skills
Pros
good breaks
Work on a typical day
Adviser (Former Employee) –  Citizens Advice Harrow17 March 2018
Working with communities is enjoyable and can assure you get to learn that every person you interact with is different therefore you need to be focused and non-judgmental.

The needs and aspirations of human nature are huge. The challenge you face as an adviser is to find an equilibrium for those you are seeking to support in the eyes of the system such as welfare rules.
Pros
lovely staff, volunteers and clients
Cons
very long hours
Job satisfaction second to none
Gateway Assessor (Former Employee) –  Crawley13 March 2018
As a volunteer advisor you have the opportunity to help different people from various backgrounds and abilities. This position gives great opportunities to help clients see a way out through informed advice to help themselves. Empowering them to overcome the hurdles life has thrown at them.

Seeing the change you have made to them in the course of the interview gives immense job satisfaction and a positive feeling.
Pros
Great people to work for and with
Productive and welcoming workplace.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Doncaster1 March 2018
I worked for a year at CADB and it has 100% set me up for life. An extremely welcoming and friendly environment. I gained a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge within my short time working here.
Pros
Friendly staff
Helped clients to best of my ability
Volunteer Benefits Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fife28 February 2018
Allowed me to assist the needy and community
Work was challenging and interesting
Met and worked with colleagues from diverse backgrounds
It involved telephone calls and face to face conversations,
didnt enjoy
Receptionist - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire13 February 2018
it wasn't what I expected it to be.
new team and set up so it was a little unorganised.
I didn't feel part of the team and I couldn't use my time efficiently to better the service
Enjoyed working there homely environment like a family
Receptionist/Debt Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nelson5 February 2018
A typical days work was opening up reception at 9.00am for clients to come and see advisers. Taking telephone calls messages giving information about benefits etc. Keeping a record of how many clients come in and what they query was regarding by getting them to complete a form which i passed onto the adviser.

Hardest part setting up a new reception with procedures because citizens advice bureau did not have a reception. I had to put everything in place a system that would work for me and the advisers which i achieved really well.

The most enjoyable part was helping clients come in when they wanted information.
Cons
after 6 months went to part time as full hours contract finished
Focussed, Informative
Adviser (Former Employee) –  Montrose1 February 2018
I advise clients on a range of concerns such as debt, employment, housing, consumer issues, benefits and relationships.
I enjoy personal interaction with my clients, the analytical skills required in identifying problems and offering solutions.
Fun Workplace
Volunteer Receptionist/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool25 January 2018
I was volunteering on the reception doing different tasks. I also did some admin work for them. I worked with many different staff members learning what they offrered & alaso what was the many things that I could do for them.
Pros
Fun, kind enviroment
Cons
Some difficult customers
Good job satisfaction
Adviser and NVQ Assessor (Former Employee) –  Hampshire22 January 2018
Very good training to deal with a range of complex issues. You start off by understanding the type of issues that affect your area, the training then equips you with the information to assist clients. You are never left unsupported and have a mentor to help
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Can be very involved
An amaizinly fun and productive place to work
IT Support (Current Employee) –  London11 January 2018
I enjoy working at Citizens Advice bureau. Everyone is polite and courteous especially the management team. You are expected to do your job with attention to detail as any employer would expect but the atmosphere was light and fun to work.

I find it a reputable organization who truly care about its professionals, volunteers, and customers.

I would be happy to continue working for them in a fulltime permanent position.
Pros
A sociable place to work
Cons
As a charity organization is limited on funds for perks
Good start to work life
Paper Girl (Current Employee) –  March, Cambridgeshire3 January 2018
It a good start to a working life. It has to be done on a Wednesday or no later than a Thursday. So timing has to be thougjt about. Its an all weather job.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
All weathers
Essential service for those in need.
Generalist Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bideford, Devon29 November 2017
Excellent organisation. A priveledge to work for them. Considerate management. They encourage your personal and professional development and treat you with respect and gratitude.
Very friendly place to work
Call Centre Operator (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire29 November 2017
I really enjoyed doing my voluntary work at citizens advice. The staff are very friendly and helpful, I'm hoping to return one day to do more work there.