Citizens Advice Employee Reviews

Great working atmosphere
Generalist Adviser (Current Employee) –  Hereford3 July 2018
A privilege to be able to assist people with the problems in a friendly and supportive environment. Excellent management and thorough training is provided at outset and continues reguarly
work place
Volunteering advisor (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton2 July 2018
The work place was one where everyone was willing to help and advise those who aren't familiar in certain areas .They support each other making sure everyone isn't left unsupported from day 1 you are given a mentor to help make sure you get through the process
Pros
learn so much a about welfares and laws around it
Cons
its voluntary not paid
One of the best jobs to date
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caernarfon22 June 2018
This job was one that provided me with great skill and confidence. I was made sure that I felt comfortable in the work place however, it also took me out of my comfort zone in the sense of having to answer calls and having to try and resolve the problem by myself. However, if guidance was needed it was always provided. Great atmosphere to work in and was made feel very much apart of the team.
Friendly and Professional
Trained Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pontypridd17 June 2018
Volunteers and employees are friendly and helpful, which creates a nice environment to work in. Volunteering was a rewarding experience and it was a pleasure to help clients resolve their issues.
challenging and rewarding
Voluntary Generalist Adviser (Current Employee) –  Guildford7 June 2018
Everyday was a new challenge, as an adviser would be faced with a new problem to tackle. However it was extremely rewarding to see that you have helped a client with a problem that they did not even know how to tackle. After every session, we are required to do a full detailed write up in our case notes, which sometimes proved to be difficult as you had to remember every detail during the interview assessment, however I particularly enjoyed this part of the day as I got the opportunity to write and recollect my thoughts.

The workplace culture is very friendly and extremely supportive in every aspect.
Demanding and at the same rewarding work place
Receptionist and Phone Assessor (Current Employee) –  London4 June 2018
Citizens Advice provides a great place for self realisation as a volunteer. Working there stimulates personal development in such skills as communicating with variety of people as well as writing profiles in a computerised data base.
Pros
friendly working environment, especially after helping clients with difficult situations.
Cons
not paid
Work, work, work
Adviceline Agent (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne3 June 2018
The work is varied and could be enjoyable, management never give support to the staff, for example finding somewhere for breaks where we can let off steam.
The breaks have to be taken outside the building or else in the kitchen area where the waiting area for counsellors is. Three days a week the food bank operate out of the building and you can never get a seat as they seem to have staff sitting at every table.
Because the breaks are in an area open to the public we never get the opportunity to let off steam and I think this is why there is such a big turnover of staff in the call centre.
Coupled with this the management keep putting more onto the staff but still expect targets to be hit (15 minute call handling meaning 28 calls each and every day). This target is never easy to achieve and a lot of my colleagues fail to hit it at all while others only manage to hit it because they seem to send nothing to the cl, pointing them to other charities for help and putting very few notes on the record.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Stress is a way of life while on probation
Productive Fun Place
Good Information Technology Team
Great Location betwenn Farringdon, Barbican Moorgate very easy transportation
An unpleasant experience
Advice Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport24 May 2018
I started off as a volunteer helping people with their problems sometimes on the phone or speaking face to face. Everyday was different and the work varied, I got quite a bit of help so never felt alone if I wasn't sure what to do. They helped me to get a qualification but I think this is the same for all volunteers,.didn't really need this because I was only using them for work experience and building my cv, and.always planned to move on. Eventually I was offered a paid.job there, but I noticed that there was favouritism in the office, some.people couldn't seem to get on no matter what, While others were offered jobs and it seemed a given that they would get it. This wasn't fair. Once I stepped into the paid position I also become aware of the pressure they put on everyone making working there unhappy time. Also there was problems with inappropriate behaviour from some of the male staff towards females, myself included. I think.one of.them has now.left, but I felt uncomfortable and don't think.It's something I expected from.this charity given.their mission statement. Hiding behind a respectable.image.really. management could.also.be.quite.bullying and I saw people crying.because of.it.
Pros
Great for work experience
Cons
Unpleasant behaviour and favouritism

Comment – 29 May 2018

not sure this is the same for all citizens advice offices, but Newport did have a reputation to avoid for sure.It seems that the issue is poor management,usual office politics and the tail wagging the dog a lot of the time.

Great Organisation
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Kinson, Dorset23 May 2018
Great Organisation and Charity supporting people in the community. Would recommend volunteering here if you are a caring a supportive individual. Really positive experience
Volunteering as an advisor (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire18 May 2018
This was a large company which required lots of miles per week driving. It consisted of early starts and late finishes. The environment was lonely and the office was uncomfortable when visiting.
Pros
salary benefits and commission
Cons
long hours and hard work
Disappointing
volunteer advisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex15 May 2018
Very difficult working environment. I was a volunteer and the atmosphere was quite hostile at times from the established volunteers who were rather territorial.
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
Hostile working environment
Lovley workplace
CASE WORKER AND GATEWAY ASSESSOR (Former Employee) –  London13 May 2018
A lovley place to work. all staff are so lovely and helpfull. you even forget that you are at work as the work environment is so great.
Helping all members of the community
Assessor (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire3 May 2018
Excellent training.
Extensive legal advice in a spectrum of areas.
Researching and Campaigning work to make life better.
Like minded people who are conscientious and want to help.
Worthwhile work
General Adviser (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 May 2018
Answering customers queries on a wide range of issues including housing, benefits, relationship breakdowns and employment issues was worth while and I felt a great deal of job satisfaction from making a difference.

Dealing with some very vulnerable customers in difficult situations could sometimes be difficult and it can be difficult not to be effected by what they were describing.

Management of the employers was not as professional as I was expecting.
Productive and pleasant workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland2 May 2018
I always found it comfortable and pleasant to work in the office. It was rewarding to be interacting with staff and clients on a daily basis. I made numerous friends, who I still see sometimes now. There was always a friendly and mature relationship with everyone. I learned to hone my office and reception skills. Typical day was booking clients in for seeing adviser's. Answering the telephone and placing clients to any of the outreaches around the town so they were able to attend near where they lived. Dealing with clients if there were any problems , they they were in a stressed state. Answering queries, by asking the relevant adviser and passing on the information or allowing the adviser to speak to the client.
Pros
Was able to work the time and day I wanted.
CAB advisor
Assessor (Former Employee) –  Warrington23 April 2018
Speaking to Clients assessing the issues and requesting advise from a supervisor, relaying this to the client and typing up the notes on the computer system
Pros
Sense of helping people wiht personal issues
Effective learning environment
Gateway Assessor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside12 April 2018
At the CAB, there is a very supportive learning environment. When i started, i learned how to perform my role due to the supportive and watch eye of the supervisors and more experienced colleagues.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
N/a
really help full
shop Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea9 April 2018
they are helping my with work experience and my anxiety its only for a year but they inspire me and make me wanna work more then ever and i love srting and helping people
Pros
flexable and friendly
Very good.
Gateway Assessor/Trainee Adviser (Current Employee) –  Doncaster9 April 2018
Very good place to work.

A typical day includes interviewing clients, advising clients on legal and social issues, data management, booking appointments and answering telephone queries.
Pros
Reimbursed reasonable transport for volunteers.
Cons
N/a