Citizens Advice Employee Reviews

A great environment to volunteer
Assistant & Receptionist (volunteer part-time) (Former Employee) –  Newquay, Cornwall20 November 2018
I volunteered for approx. 16 hours a week. A typical day would be to get all the paperwork needed for the day prepared and available before the doors opened. There would be a rush of people, so keeping an eye on where people are in the queue was essential. Talking to the potential clients & explaining the system would come next. If they wanted help, I would give them the Gateway form to complete & confidentially offer help if they were unable to complete them for various reasons. I would take the completed form to the next available Advisor so they could be prepared & give the client a time to see the Advisor on that day or the following day. Once everyone was set up for an appointment, I would enter information onto the Petra system, until the end of the day. I learned to be discrete with help and developed more skills with people.
The culture was to be of service and I loved it. Although some of my colleagues were a lot more political than I, I enjoyed their enthusiasm to fight for what they believed. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the occasional abusive or drunken client but I loved to rise to the challenge and not take anything personally.
Pros
Relaxed, cheerful environment
Cons
Potential to move into a paid position was not met as I had to leave Cornwall.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hull13 November 2018
Friendly, good work culture, opportunity for development. Clients can be challenging, but support in dealing with those situations is always provided.
Pros
work culture
Cons
challenging clients
fun workplace
Volunteer fully trained Adviser (Former Employee) –  Camden Town, Greater London13 November 2018
I did learn a lot during the training. I was hoping to see legal cases rather than benefits ones, but the reality was not what I was hoping. The complexity was not the issue but dealing with customers who were not accepting the fact that some government funding were cancelled was very challenging.
Pros
free lunch, great training
Cons
the cases were not dealing with the fields I was more interested
Money Advice Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh5 November 2018
Friendly supportive management and staff who are all dedicated to helping people with a whole variety if issues. The advisers are mostly volunteers who are trained to the highest standard.
challenging
Gateway Support Worker/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brierley Hill2 November 2018
dealing with clients over the phone and face to face. Carrying out assessments for clients on various issues like housing or debt.
working with other agencies to help clients overcome their problems.

i learned how to carry out assessments and deal with clients from various backgrounds.
Pros
fun and different experience
Cons
difficult customers
Workplace
Call Centre Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester City Centre1 November 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Citizens Advice. In the time I worked there I became fully conversant with the system and how it works. I became a very successful call centre operator. I was put in charge of the e-mails and leaned about communicating with people using the website and providing them with the information that they needed using the internet.
Pros
free Coffee
Cons
Long Hours
Excelllent training supportive staff
Trainee Gateway Assessor (Former Employee) –  Devon30 October 2018
Dealing with customers with debt problems and making appointments for them to see a debt adviser. Lots of good training and very helpful staff a nice place to work
Pros
Training
Cons
Call centre
Supportive and interesting
Volunteer Gateway Assessor (Former Employee) –  Chester27 October 2018
CAB office has since relocated but I enjoyed volunteering here. The staff were very knowledgeable and supportive. Great opportunity to learn and work with a lots of different people with a wide range of problems.
procuctive and proactive
Assessor face to face (Current Employee) –  Morden and Streatham15 October 2018
Excellent teams set , good work culture, highly professional, very helpful and an excellent service provider to the local community. The team is very organised and there is opportunity to develop skills and knowledge with ongoing training and support.
Pros
excellent support and work culture
Cons
limited job vacancies
Recommended for aspiring solicitors
Training as an adviser (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset11 October 2018
Challenging but rewarding voluntary role with transferable skill set and advising experience. Highly recommended for any aspiring solicitor to gain vital face to face advising experience
i volunteer here
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Leeds10 October 2018
I have been volunteering for a couple of years now at Chapeltown CAB and have enjoyed this role and experience it has provided to me in the sense of getting more experience and training in an office environment and also gaining more confidence.
what I do every service plus more
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Margate, Kent7 October 2018
The first point of contact in a fast-paced environment, with duties including putting clients at ease, as they are often distressed. By providing a clear picture of the options in terms of sign posting and other services. Other duties include providing receptionist training and support to other volunteers. Also the Fire Warden and a First Aider at Citizens Advice.
Pros
to many to mention
Brilliant
Telephone Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wandsworth2 October 2018
My position was a voluntary telephone advisor role and it was brilliant. To be able to assist those who are in one of the worst positions is an amazing opportunity.

The team are absolutely brilliant and so helpful, if you have any questions they are there! Although you answer the phone calls alone your team are there to support you in every way.

The skills I developed here I am now able to use in everyday life and now have a high standard of communication skills as well as team working skills. Definitely recommend!
Pros
Free tea and coffee (occasionally cake to!)
Each day is never the same
SOCIAL POLICY COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Haddington2 October 2018
Interesting job role, good work-life balance, friendly working environment, varied days, politically engaging, feel as though you make a genuine difference
Wonderful and rewarding place.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington22 September 2018
I loved it, all staff is nice and they even bought me a cake for my birthday even tho I had only worked there 2 days. Really good experience and atmosphere. I highly recommend.
Pros
Wonderful people and lots of education.
Cons
Can be a little be quiet at times.
Volunteer at Citizens Advice Bureau
Assisting the Unemployment Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent14 September 2018
I was a volunteer for Citizens Advice Bureau, was a very interesting place to work. I dealt with a mixture of clients, also I got to take part in numerous training.
Pros
Free training and got travel reimbursed
Lovely place to work
Case Handler (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 September 2018
Effective team collaboration. On a typical day, I will meet with clients and work on their cases to find effective solutions to their issues. I enjoy working with new people.
Pros
Expense paid
Cons
Lack of career progress
Work Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Thetford, Norfolk9 September 2018
Helping on the reception desk.Sitting in with clients and making notes and aiding the client whenever possible. Entering confidential info on the Petra computer system etc
Friendly, family atmosphere environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Luton4 September 2018
Best experience I have ever had, working with people willing to give you guidance in your work. Best place to work for. I learnt how to deal with people who have different problems in all areas of society.
A pleasant place to work
Receptionist/Admin Duties (Current Employee) –  Oldham31 August 2018
It is very pleasant working at the Citizens Advice Office in Oldham. It makes you feel good about yourself by helping and advising the clients who use this service.
Pros
Free drinks and biscuits
Cons
Negotiable working hours