Citizens Advice Employee Reviews

Recommended for aspiring solicitors
Training as an adviser (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset11 October 2018
Challenging but rewarding voluntary role with transferable skill set and advising experience. Highly recommended for any aspiring solicitor to gain vital face to face advising experience
i volunteer here
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Leeds10 October 2018
I have been volunteering for a couple of years now at Chapeltown CAB and have enjoyed this role and experience it has provided to me in the sense of getting more experience and training in an office environment and also gaining more confidence.
what I do every service plus more
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Margate, Kent7 October 2018
The first point of contact in a fast-paced environment, with duties including putting clients at ease, as they are often distressed. By providing a clear picture of the options in terms of sign posting and other services. Other duties include providing receptionist training and support to other volunteers. Also the Fire Warden and a First Aider at Citizens Advice.
Pros
to many to mention
Brilliant
Telephone Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wandsworth2 October 2018
My position was a voluntary telephone advisor role and it was brilliant. To be able to assist those who are in one of the worst positions is an amazing opportunity.

The team are absolutely brilliant and so helpful, if you have any questions they are there! Although you answer the phone calls alone your team are there to support you in every way.

The skills I developed here I am now able to use in everyday life and now have a high standard of communication skills as well as team working skills. Definitely recommend!
Pros
Free tea and coffee (occasionally cake to!)
Each day is never the same
SOCIAL POLICY COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Haddington2 October 2018
Interesting job role, good work-life balance, friendly working environment, varied days, politically engaging, feel as though you make a genuine difference
Average
GENERALIST ADVISER (Former Employee) –  Kirkintilloch24 September 2018
Although the training itself is good, a lot of the advisors do not know their stuff. Although it is designed to be impartial, I discovered that a lot of the advisors would make judgemental comments to the clients. Although this is in general a voluntary organisation, there still needs to be an air of professionalism - something that was clearly missing at the Bureau where I worked.

The majority of advisors are also old and it is clear that their age was a major factor in their mentality. The place desperately needs younger people.
Wonderful and rewarding place.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington22 September 2018
I loved it, all staff is nice and they even bought me a cake for my birthday even tho I had only worked there 2 days. Really good experience and atmosphere. I highly recommend.
Pros
Wonderful people and lots of education.
Cons
Can be a little be quiet at times.
Volunteer at Citizens Advice Bureau
Assisting the Unemployment Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent14 September 2018
I was a volunteer for Citizens Advice Bureau, was a very interesting place to work. I dealt with a mixture of clients, also I got to take part in numerous training.
Pros
Free training and got travel reimbursed
Supportive and adaptable workplace.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Peterlee7 August 2018
Citizens Advice were very good with helping anyone who came in feel more comfortable and resolved any problems they may have had whether it was was the clients or the other volunteers.
Fast paced fun workplce
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne1 August 2018
My typical day at work is never the same. I deal with different types clients everyday with different types of issues, I learnt at citizens advice that you have to be efficient fast and very flexible. You have to be prepared to step in and help everyone out. The hardest part of my job is seeing clients upset and i go out my way to make the client better with support and advice. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and helping people with their issues and making life easier for them.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Aggressive clients
Busy enviorment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London31 July 2018
Citizens Advice Bureau is a great place to work if you want a challenging day. No two days were the same. Working alongside advisors was great and best of all the staff were really professional.
Busy Pro active environment
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire23 July 2018
Each call is very different, which is a positive, it is a challenging role, fast -paced & makes learning innovative and diverse.
It is refreshing to speak to Consumers, who genuinely need advice & rely on the Organisation as a first point of call for their individual queries.
The training package is comprehensive & equips individuals for the role.
Pros
Office Hours Good work life balance
A good place to work, learn and gain experience.
Gateway Assessor/ Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tottenham4 July 2018
The Citizens Advice (CAB) has a good working environment.
The staff are very helpful and committed.
I found it quite challenging and exciting to work with clients from all backgrounds. One of the challenges was to work on urgent cases, such as eviction notice from a landlord, as there may be only a few days to apply for an injunction. The clients would come when the last warning letter has arrived, the documents would be missing, there may be a communication issue if they did not know the English language.
The hardest part of my job was to keep time limits, as clients would like to discuss irrelevant issues before coming to the point, as I was a counselor rather than an advisor, they like to discuss their personal family disputes for example, before explaining why they were here.
As advisors, it is very important to stay within the time frame which was 20 minutes per person.
The most enjoyable part is when I am able to find a quick solution to the query, that brings a smile to the face of my client, it's very satisfying experience that CAB had made a difference to a person's life by solving their issue.
Pros
Good place to gain experience in a public service
Great working atmosphere
Generalist Adviser (Current Employee) –  Hereford3 July 2018
A privilege to be able to assist people with the problems in a friendly and supportive environment. Excellent management and thorough training is provided at outset and continues reguarly
work place
Volunteering advisor (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton2 July 2018
The work place was one where everyone was willing to help and advise those who aren't familiar in certain areas .They support each other making sure everyone isn't left unsupported from day 1 you are given a mentor to help make sure you get through the process
Pros
learn so much a about welfares and laws around it
Cons
its voluntary not paid
One of the best jobs to date
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caernarfon22 June 2018
This job was one that provided me with great skill and confidence. I was made sure that I felt comfortable in the work place however, it also took me out of my comfort zone in the sense of having to answer calls and having to try and resolve the problem by myself. However, if guidance was needed it was always provided. Great atmosphere to work in and was made feel very much apart of the team.
Friendly and Professional
Trained Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pontypridd17 June 2018
Volunteers and employees are friendly and helpful, which creates a nice environment to work in. Volunteering was a rewarding experience and it was a pleasure to help clients resolve their issues.
challenging and rewarding
Voluntary Generalist Adviser (Current Employee) –  Guildford7 June 2018
Everyday was a new challenge, as an adviser would be faced with a new problem to tackle. However it was extremely rewarding to see that you have helped a client with a problem that they did not even know how to tackle. After every session, we are required to do a full detailed write up in our case notes, which sometimes proved to be difficult as you had to remember every detail during the interview assessment, however I particularly enjoyed this part of the day as I got the opportunity to write and recollect my thoughts.

The workplace culture is very friendly and extremely supportive in every aspect.
Demanding and at the same rewarding work place
Receptionist and Phone Assessor (Current Employee) –  London4 June 2018
Citizens Advice provides a great place for self realisation as a volunteer. Working there stimulates personal development in such skills as communicating with variety of people as well as writing profiles in a computerised data base.
Pros
friendly working environment, especially after helping clients with difficult situations.
Cons
not paid
Work, work, work
Adviceline Agent (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne3 June 2018
The work is varied and could be enjoyable, management never give support to the staff, for example finding somewhere for breaks where we can let off steam.
The breaks have to be taken outside the building or else in the kitchen area where the waiting area for counsellors is. Three days a week the food bank operate out of the building and you can never get a seat as they seem to have staff sitting at every table.
Because the breaks are in an area open to the public we never get the opportunity to let off steam and I think this is why there is such a big turnover of staff in the call centre.
Coupled with this the management keep putting more onto the staff but still expect targets to be hit (15 minute call handling meaning 28 calls each and every day). This target is never easy to achieve and a lot of my colleagues fail to hit it at all while others only manage to hit it because they seem to send nothing to the cl, pointing them to other charities for help and putting very few notes on the record.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Stress is a way of life while on probation