Cineworld Group Plc Employee Reviews

Working mum
Team Member (Former Employee) –  St. Neots, Cambridgeshire15 October 2018
I loved working for my local cinema as a part time colleague.I had the flexibility to drop a shift during the week when I had school holidays and still have weekend shifts all year round.
The management was ok, I didn’t have any problems with any of the managers I worked with.
The job does require a lot of cleaning, good communication, customer service skills and able to work on initiative as well as working in a team.
But I’d highly recommend the job, you can progress quickly!! Pay is good to!!
The only reason I left was to get back into an industry I wanted to follow as a career.
Pros
Free films, 40% off concessions, good paye
Cons
The sickness policy is very strict, so if you are prone to illness then I don’t recommend this job to you!!
Wouldn't recommend
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon29 September 2018
Found to be bullied slot I'm disabled to needed to rest from time to time and others made nausty comments.
Managers did nothing or even joined in.
Not accommodating to days off due to my condition and found they were even worse when I was pregnant to.
Pros
Free films
Cons
On feet for long periods
Terrible place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire19 September 2018
Hours rubbish
Management rubbish
Pay isn’t that great
Say they will work around your availability and then never do
Always taking on new members of staff when they don’t have the hours
Pros
Free films
Cons
Everything else
A good experience
Team Leader Team member (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire14 September 2018
During my time working for Cineworld I learnt how to talk to people, I learnt the value of friendships and love, I learnt new things and they were very patient with me.

The progression process was very slow and unfortunately left because I felt I wasn’t getting very far no matter how hard I tried.
Pros
Discount and free movies
Cons
Difficult to progress.
Do not apply unless desperate...
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 August 2018
Zero hour contracts
Two unpaid breaks - you spend 9 hours here for a 7.5-hour shift with 1.5-hours of breaks
Management is unapproachable and unfriendly
Very cliquey
Pros
Cinepass
Cons
Everything else
fun and flexible
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester24 July 2018
good job throughout my studies, provided with the opportunity to change my availability to become more flexible in order to complete studies, LLB Law 2.1 honours was achieved.
Pros
free films
Cons
short shifts
Sometimes you can have a laugh
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Boldon Colliery20 May 2018
The company as a whole isn't a bad place to work for. However sometimes it feels like one rule for one and a different rule for another. Zero hour contract but hours are good. Managers can be patronising
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Zero hour contract
Nice place to work, but hours are horrid
Team Member/Stock (Former Employee) –  Enfield21 April 2018
It’s a nice casual job, sometimes stressful. Everyone there is nice, but hours are rediculous. Not many perks! Managers can be rude although some are very nice and kind.
Pros
Lay ins.
Cons
No social life
Starbucks store manager (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire3 April 2018
I was a manager here and I worked in two different sites. First site I worked in was great, had no problems, paid well etc.

Second site I worked in was awful, was there for a month. Had 3 weeks training for management and was then told to leave by management. Supervisors disrespect you as a manager, and you are just a number in a company.
Pros
Free films
Cons
People
Terrible Workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  West Sussex21 March 2018
Zero hours contract. Given your timetable just one week ahead, your hours and shifts depending on how management and team leaders felt about you as an individual. Certain team leaders and all management have a messiah complex and would not even want to know your first name.

Very high and constant staff turnover. Few staff actually happy within their job role. Very cliquey staff groups, some of them were really nice though.

Management "team" treat the majority of staff with very little respect and yet expect the world from you in return. AVOID this position unless using it as a very short stop gap.
Pros
Free cinema tickets - if management felt ok with you
Horrendous - Do as I Say and not as I do culture
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk20 March 2018
Genuinely up there with the worst places I have ever worked.

I worked for Starbucks franchise held by Cineworld and it was just terrible. The franchise just doesn’t work, you do a Starbucks job but are employed by Cineworld and they expect you to follow their rules and this just doesn’t work. Starbucks as a company are great to work for but you receive none of the Starbucks benefits because you work for Cineworld.

They generate the rota in line with the cinemas estimates for screenings and this is no use - there would be times when the Starbucks was very busy but the cinema was quiet and there was no staff as they had predicted it to be quiet.

Despite having a Starbucks store manager, they report to the cinema management and they get little say in anything, you’d follow your Starbucks managers direction and then be instructed to do something different by the cinema management who have no understanding of Starbucks - micro management at its worst.

You’d constantly be told by Cineworld to ‘integrate’ and that the cinema and Starbucks staff were one team, yet there was a clear divide and you were never made to feel like that.

There was constantly vists planned by higher management where you’d be instructed to scrub every square inch of the building in preperation for them to never turn up or to do a cleaning audit.

There is also a serious lack of punishment and guidance for staff that miss behave or fail to meet the standards, if you did good at your job you were never thanked and rewarded, yet staff that were the opposite got away with everything.

Cineworld’s
  more... systems and procedures themself are archaic, you get your rota a week before and they expect you to drop everything despite being on zero hour contracts. The building itself is also in need of an upgrade, the whole time I worked there only 2 sets out of the 4 main doors were in working order, and this was never fixed no matter how many times it was escalated.  less
Pros
Starbucks training and knowledge, some co-workers, hourly rate
Cons
Everything not listed as a pro
Terrible management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Nottingham16 February 2018
I worked here for just over a year and while the majority of team members were welcoming, if the management and their clique didn't like you, you were treated badly. New managers were brought in from a different site and had no sense of team bonding or the way this site worked. New team members were not being trained properly and the older team members got given the blame for it. The managers had their own sector that they were in charge of (e.g. retail, HR, admin) however it showed that many managers were incompetent at their job. The rota was always out late, with only 2 days notice of when we would be working. Stock was always down or missing - again team members would be blamed for this. Managers suffered no consequences for their mistakes. Managers and team leaders would spend their shifts sat in the office - mostly on facebook (i cant even begin to list the amount of "frapes" i witnessed because of facebook being left logged in in the office). Team leaders had a negative attitude and stayed off the shop floor unless they were specifically asked for - and even then they were reluctant to come. They pride themselves on paying higher than the minimum wage, however £6.60 an hour goes nowhere, especially when you only get 5 hour shifts. Feedback from team members was not accepted by management and anyone who spoke out against management were punished or management found a way to let them go. You are only allowed 2 sick days in a 12 month period before receiving an informal discussion. If you reach 5 sick days in a 12 month period then you receive your final warning and may  more... be dismissed. Overall, this is a terrible place to work, management and team leaders make the shift harder than it has to be for such an easy job, you feel alienated if management don't like you, and hours are unreliable.  less
Pros
Free films
Cons
Management, training, breaks, hours, rotas
Great short time job
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire4 February 2018
Hours are terrible. Work ethics are also terrible, managers pick favourites and boost their careers over anyone else. They never pick experience, they always choose people who they prefer or have been there longer.

Higher positions do not see anyone as anything other than a 'red shirt'. All employees are childish, supervisors and managers included. Rumours get spread around between them and they talk about their employees behind their backs like school children
Pros
Free films
Cons
0 hour contract, rare chances to advance, long and unbearable shifts
Fun workplace but not forever
Multifunctional Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire10 January 2018
A great job if you're starting out or working during education, but completely unfeasible as a permanent career. Progression is almost Impossible and the working hours are exceptionally unsociable.
Pros
Free films, discounts with nearby businesses
Cons
Long hours, hard to progress
People don't seem to care.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire12 December 2017
I have worked for this company for 1 and a half years, my store employs roughly 30 staff members and I can count on 1 hand how many people actually do their job, yet no one is ever disciplined. The work hours are sent out 5 days in advance and number of shifts and shift times vary massively. Very unprofessional environment and has given me a lot of restless nights, which shouldn't be happening when I'm 20 and only working here while I set up my career. Job is easy, but you may find yourself doing a lot more than you should be while other people stand around talking.
Pros
Free films for you and a guest, staff screenings, 40% food and drink.
Cons
0 hour contract, not much notice, unprofessional and lazy staff.
Shocking Management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gloucester16 November 2017
Never any guarantee of hours, incompetent management, very little chance to progress. Would not recommend to anyone unless it was a temporary thing until they got the next job.
A great and fun job
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire4 November 2017
After been with this company for over 5years I can say it has been a great working career.
The staff are happy and the benefits are great.
As every job does it has its ups and downs but always looking in ways to improve for both staff and customers.
Pros
Free films, discount in and out the company
Cons
Can get busy fast
Good Team to work for
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire26 October 2017
I enjoyed every minute of working for them, they help you, support you and its always a highlight when you help a customer out. would highley reccomend
Nothing but a red shirt to head office but great regional teams
Health and Safety Rep/Projector Technician (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough16 October 2017
Enjoyed the work, colleagues and regional management but head office couldn't have been more awful. Even when going above and beyond more was always expected and never appreciated, they were rude and uncaring about the staff.
Pros
Free Films!
Cons
Awful Management
Enjoyable but stressful
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire11 October 2017
If you love the cinema then it makes working there a lot more enjoyable.
Great place for learning new skills and also learning a wide variety of skills.
Typically a young demographic of Team Members which has its ups and downs, but mainly they make it a fun place to work.

Work/life balance is almost non-existent - lots of late shifts working until midnight or the early hours of the morning (and lots of extra hours worked unpaid as well).
Can be incredibly stressful and a LOT is expected of you as a manager which can seem overwhelming and unfair a lot of the time. Can easily feel under-appreciated.
Pros
Free films, concessions discount, good number of holiday days
Cons
Long hours, extra hours, work/life balance, stress, expectations