Church of England

Church of England Employee Reviews

Found it a good place to work, lovely people, and generally nice atmosphere. People willing to help and all round nice place to work at. Head office is a nice modern building with great facilities
People are overworked by the system with no duty of care whatsoever. Bullying and harassment are rife and those who report it are silenced. So many good men and women have been broken by working for/with them.
Pros
Negative
Cons
How much time do you have?
All business or employers should be like this. I feel energised and enthusiastic in my role feel I’m part of a family and feel like if I have any issues they will support me as best they can even give me time off to go through issues. But they nurture the staff and want them to do well and develop them not think about the money.
Pros
Positive enabling interview process. Fair recruitment and good remuneration and conditions of service. Speedy response in appointment and start date.
Long days of pastoral care, organisation of events, preparing lectures, collaboration with other team members and with other team leaders. Reviewing of policies and processes enabling improvement of quality outturn
Fun, fast paced, dynamic place to work. There is a new challange everyday, I have learnt alot and the people have been supportive and helpful.i would not be leaving if it wasnt for relocation.
No two days were the same. Interesting people, great boss, enjoyed doing a job share and learning more about how the church of England worked. Enjoyed the role.
environment nice and the people was friendly normal office dress code the training system was very good and the location is very pleasant. The staff canteen is good
First impressions really deceiving. Not all is what it seams. Not everyone shared the vision of the organisation which is not helpful. Really quite pretentious work atmosphere. There was a drop you in the deep end kind of atmosphere where there's a lot of great expectations without proper induction/training when questions are asked about a way forward management was unhelpful. There are really no people skills by some Management they don't manage people very well. Unfortunately from top-down its a bit like squabbling in parliament and the people do not marry up with the vision. Sad really
It was good working here for the time I was there and I would recommend this place to any one of my friends if they ever needed the job for a little while
If you are looking for work in a faith community you need to support that faith, so this isn't for everybody. On the whole, colleagues are supportive and caring. Work life balance can be difficult to achieve.
The work was very challenging because I had come into nothing and i have to create everything from start. The was an idea to start hiring the hall but nothing was put in place yet. I designed flyers, posters, purchased furniture and drafted all the hire contract agreements. I then set the website and create all the social media platforms. I really enjoyed the challenge and loved all my achievement
Pros
Lots of learnngs
Cons
a very old work force to change
Good place to work. And term time suits me due to commitments. I find the hours suit me too. The evening hrs are flexible too. The staff at the school are very friendly
No two days the same. Never off duty. One day off per week. House comes with the job. Organisation confused and uncertain about its purpose and future.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Never off duty
Generally support CEO with diary management and planning. Work part time so busy from start to finish. Interesting and varied role with opportunity to learn .
Pros
Church of England always has a way to create a family within both, small and large communities. From my experiences, they always try to be or become inclusive, despite pushing-out comfort zones. There's always a large variety of services, from Sunday services to concerts; always something for everybody.
Pros
Try to be inclusive
Cons
Can be stuck in their ways
Usual clerical duties, conducting services, pastoral duties, parish administration. The management, ie the archdeacon and bishop, were extremeely variable from area to area. There was no line management support, only interventions when there was a problem. Low wages and tied accomodation made it impossible to provide for one's own housing.
Pros
helping people spiritually and mentally
Cons
bad or non existent management support
Spent a lovely year working with two parishes on the Isle of Wight. My boss on the Island came and officiated at my wedding. A friend I made on the Island came and did the sermon.
On a Sunday morning i would care for the elderly at my local church where i currently sing in choir.My duties included assisting the elderly with help standing , food preparation, hygiene , and transporting them safely back home whilst working there i learnt the values of life and how important friends and family are to us and it has made me want to continue my career further in care. I found lifting the ederly a struggle but once i got used to the positions my skills quickly improved.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
In this volunteering job working as a team is something of much importance as we have to arrange and also carry out activities together. We make sure that we meet at regular times to ensure this is carried out . It is also very important that working individually as an activity leader because when carrying out them you have to say what they are and give information to people about it . Regular meetings are important because of the way we base all of our activities on one theme.
Pros
Everyone getting along and giving lots of ideas
Cons
Sometimes themes can get mixed up if meetings have not been planned well
I only did work experience for a week, I had to catalogue hand written documents into an online format. I often got lost in the document store room. Overall It was good.
Pros
The work was fun.
  1. Employee reviews