Choice Care Group

Support Worker49 reviews
United Kingdom49 reviews
Featured review
Choice Care Group selected this as a representative review
I can only say I do love my job
It’s so rewarding with our wonderful service users

Training is very good along with the induction where you do a lot of training plus shadowing on shift

It’s a very caring company.
Pros
Being with our service users and having fun
17 May 2019
Thanks for the lovely feedback. It’s always nice to hear the positive experiences of those working for us and we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
The managers is so unprofessional, they don’t wear PPE when it is mandatory. The pay is rubbish and they take money from you to pay back annual leave that your suppose to not take and they don’t tell you that, not supportive at all and there is no confidentiality at all. Managers tell service users what other services users have said about them, manager sit and slag staff members off to other staff members.
Pros
Free lunches while on shift
Cons
Not supportive at all
I would not recommend choice care group to anyone I know. Although the job is very rewarding, to management you are just a number. You are never praised for the job you do, and you are expected to come in on your days off and work your annual leave.
The service users are not looked after to the standard they deserve, activities are very few and very mundane. The company is called “Choice Care” but believe me the service users don’t get a choice. Management like to sit in the office, not get involved with service users. Rota’s were not out on time so staff wouldn’t know when they were working. I would also class some managers as bullies.
Pros
Helping someone less fortunate than yourself.
Cons
Everything.
Typical day is that the moment you start your shift it all kicks off with the service users. You have service users that hit you as well as punch you.
Management don't do anything they don't care there staff welfare.

It's meant to be supported living but it's more like residential.

When it's your day off you get called in as they are short staff.

Also when it's meant to be your week end off the management rota you on shift.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, Rudeness
Management at choice care group is awful, highly unappreciated and when managers are on shift they leave you to do all the personal care and sit on there phones to other managers! Or always make you do more rather then it being fair share, even in supervision’s each month they never say anything nice about staff or staff meetings, after doing long day after long day or dealing with a behaviour there is still no thank you, can’t even report it to other manager as nothing is a secret, only reason half our staff is still here is because of the service users managers don’t even know there own service users enough it’s is appalling!
I would highly NOT recommend this place at all. The manager is rude and unappreciative of staff, and seems to have no clue, to what he is doing. Some staff are nice and friendly, and majority of those are lazy and don't seem to care. You don't get half the benefits that are stated. And you don't have much social life either, over worked staff and the pay is not that great.
The only thing great about this company is the service users.
17 March 2020
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this does not reflect Choice Care Group’s values. We take matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address this. If you could please send an email to WestHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
working at choice care group was enjoyable at the start , although the management was rude and kept things hidden from staff I.e risks ect . management wouldn't listen to staff or residents and didn't care about the safety of staff or residents

choice paid well but wasn't enough for the job role and risks aswell as the areas .

very stressful job , no support from any management , training are useless

life and work balance was ok but certain staff would be allowed to pick shifts while others couldn't and overall just not an enjoyable company to work for

the best part of the job was seeing the residents smile and enjoy planned activities
9 January 2020
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, and can assure you this is not reflective of our company values, we do pride ourselves on staff retention and strongly value our long service staff members. If you could please send an email to eastHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
Low pay for long hard working hours.
Weekends off aren't weekends off as you work Friday night through to Saturday morning so end up using your weekend off to catch up on sleep. You get harassed to work on days off or on annual leave as they are always understaffed.

Be prepared to do all the work so that management's favourites can chat with them in office for entire shift or leave 1-2 hours early. Management are unsupportive if you complain about certain staff not doing their fair share. Staff form cliques and bully those that don't fit in.

Team leaders boss staff around and palm off their duties onto other staff as they are in for a good time

The hard workers and the service users suffer for it

They advertise that they go on activities but that's a lie. No money no activities. Unless you count going to asda for bread an activity or having a bath.

Service users literally just walk around the living room day in day out
20 December 2019
We are very sorry to read this, we can ensure you that management in all Choice Care Group homes are trained to the highest level and their role is to be a strong support system for the staff teams in their homes. Unfortunately due to the nature of shift work this can mean working antisocial hours but we will always ensure the rotas are completed on a fair working basis. The matter of bullying is something we take very seriously and urge this to always be reported as soon as possible, we would like to discuss the issues you have experienced, if you could therefore please send an email to SouthHR@choicecaregroup.com
It Very unreliable and underpaid job with this company. People teamed up in management and not very nice with everyone and only giving favours to their friends and favourite people.so many flaws being ignored of them and rest of the staff being treated unfairly
11 November 2019
It’s unfortunate that you have had a negative experience working for us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further, as your comments are not reflective of the views of the majority of our staff. Please contact us for further discussion on easthr@choicecaregroup.com
Good company to work for but if you are contracted to work in one place then you dont stay there as you have to migh have to move to different places of work.
Service users are great but it upsets them if you have to leave them to go to another place to work.

Training is always in Bracknell.

Although they do online training called ELFY.

Also they cant always give you your hours that you are contracted to
11 November 2019
We appreciate your positive comments and are proud to have such a caring and dedicated workforce.
In my work as a support worker, I have learned about caring for disabled people, spending time with them, personal care, but the most important thing is to understand their needs and develop empathy.
11 November 2019
Thank you for the positive feedback, we love hearing our employees are enjoying their experiences with us.
I was made to feel really welcome when I started. But since new management started in April. Not only does management talk down to staff, but they talk disrespectfully about other staff members.

Management in all homes is very unorganized. Direction of the homes is terrible, no clear expectation of the job role.

Did not feel supported by management, as they were never there, felt like they were out of depth.Your also made to feel guilty if you can't help out with shifts.

Lovely service users. No social life.

Unfriendly office.
11 November 2019
Issues with younger staff not working to expectations of their role. Relaxed atmosphere perhaps a little too much
16 July 2019
Thank you for the feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Always encourage staff to work as a team
Listen to staff grievances and always remind staff to report any poor practices at work, the company ensures all staff training are up to date
21 June 2019
We are delighted that you have had such a positive experience with the company. Dignity and respect are some of our core values so it is great to hear this being reflected in the day to day practice. Our committed staff teams are at the heart of our work and help us put these values into action, thank you for your kind comments.
horrendous company to work for! no work life balance. will work you to the bone and then moan when you go off sick. More of a glorified cleaner than a night time support worker.
The only pros to this job is the service users!
Pros
service users!!
Cons
long hours, poor management, phoning you on your days off
21 June 2019
We are sorry to hear that you have had such a negative experience with the company. We can reassure you that this does not reflect Choice Care Group's values. If employee's struggle with work/life balance we do offer flexible working opportunities and management will always try to provide support where possible, including referring you to the companies Health Assured scheme. We take matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address this. If you could please send an email to WestHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
Management expect day staff to cover all night shifts they can't cover without asking you or helping out themselves (which they get paid more to do.) Alot of unfairness and bullying going on which doesn't make you feel like a team, not told vital information of susers history in interview and end up roped into staying six months otherwise you have to pay back course fees worth £300. The pay is very low considering your dealing with medication and some dangerous situations and although the jobs physically easy it is mentally draining and the shifts are long with barely any decent activities to fill the day which creates behaviours. Constant staff turn over but nothing seems to be done to resolve the underlining issue at that home.
Pros
some susers and staff
Cons
management, low wage, long shifts
21 June 2019
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this does not reflect Choice Care Group’s values. We take matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address this. If you could please send an email to SouthHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
I like to work here. I started as night staff and i ended up as Senior. I like to do my job. You can be sure that not a single day will be the same. The SU's will give you a positive energy that will keep you happy all day. The management team will give you also support and advices everytime when you will ask for and suggestions to help you to improve and to do your job better.
Pros
Fun at work, great management, SU's
Cons
Short staff
27 February 2019
Our staff are the backbone of our organisation and we are delighted to have such enthusiastic and compassionate people working for us. Thank you for your comments.
-Poor management
- bad talking behind staff members backs

- Dangerous place to work

-Pay is always wrong

-Unprofessional

-Over worked

-No support

-No one is appreciative

-Always the blame game

- Staff pass work onto the next shift

-No one knows what they're doing

YOU WILL BE PUT IN DANGER WITH NO SUPPORT!

PLEASE STAY AWAY
Pros
Service users
27 February 2019
Inexperienced staff running shift, no support from so called Managers, so cannot keep staff, so unfair on service users as they are the ones that are suffering this is the worst company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Nice service users
Cons
Bad management
27 February 2019
I loved the staff, but unfortunately I found Management often rude and to the point where I felt bullied. Felt ostracized, often felt picked on. Management treat staff like rubbish in this company and its disgusting seeing as the staff are the backbone of the company, often working 75 hour working weeks as they were short staffed yet it would go unappreciated. If staff were lacking in one area or another, we'd get threatened with dissapplinery left and right instead of offered support or training. High turnover of staff. Not a great wage considering the overtime expected of us and work load. Disgusting
Pros
Not many
Cons
Too many
6 December 2018
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this is not reflective of the majority of our staff’s experiences of working for us.

We take all matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address this. If you could please send an email to eastHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved, we would appreciate this.