Choice Care Group

Social Worker49 reviews
United Kingdom49 reviews
Featured review
Choice Care Group selected this as a representative review
I can only say I do love my job
It’s so rewarding with our wonderful service users

Training is very good along with the induction where you do a lot of training plus shadowing on shift

It’s a very caring company.
Pros
Being with our service users and having fun
17 May 2019
Thanks for the lovely feedback. It’s always nice to hear the positive experiences of those working for us and we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Amazing place to work , Majority of the Staff and Manager are help-full understanding and professional. Everyone at Sunnyside House Gloucester works as team helping each other.
Pros
Exceptional team work, out of the house activities, free lunch/dinner
Cons
No choice of shift you want to work, no regular shift pattern.
work was easy and slow. no real support from management wether it was problems in the workplace or accounting for where you live compared to job location. no real reward for hard word or effort. asked to stick to policies then punished when the policy was followed. would not recommend working here and i wouldnt work for choice ever again.
Pros
Training is excellent. A gratifying job; management is approachable and great colleagues. It is a privilege working in this environment to help service users to lead a meaningful and healthy life. The training is spot on, and if you have anything you're not sure about, you can always rely on your colleagues and management.
Pros
Job satisfaction and workig with service users.
Cons
Low pay as is the norm in this industry
I was made to work illegal hours for my age at the time and a lot of the other staff were quite rude and inconsiderate.
The care home had fallen under new management as the previous manager was let go for not doing his job accordingly.
Pros
Brilliant experience
Cons
A lot of work for little wage
Simple, don't go there, you'll regret doing so, cliques etc etc......

Not to mention lazy manager.....

And ridiculous pay considering what we had to do, for sanity please avoid.......

............................................................
Pros
Cons
Everything, avoid like the plague
When I started working for Choice Care Group it seemed alright - I loved working with the service users, although the staff were clichy. But the management was unsupportive and did not seem to care about their staff, especially involving the challenging behaviour of some of the SUs. I was particularly alarmed by the apparent deficient of risk assessments. Would not recommend to a friend; the pay is ok k, but just not worth it in the end.
17 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to read this, and whilst it doesn’t match the feedback we get from our happy colleagues every day at Choice Care Group, we would like to discuss the issues you have experienced. Therefore please send an email to WestHR@choicecaregroup.com
If you’re looking to start a career in health and social care choice care group
Is a good place to start however it is not for long term individuals. Salary is poor, management is poor.
17 March 2020
I am sorry to hear that you feel that way, and whilst it doesn’t match the feedback we get from our happy colleagues every day at Choice Care Group we would like to thank you for your feedback.
days are different day to day,exemplarly training,hardlyany increments from start of employment,management chain corrupt and nepotism is rife,work culture has varied cliques but everybody works toward the greater cause ultimately
11 March 2020
It’s unfortunate that you have had a negative experience working for us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further, as your comments are not reflective of the views of the majority of our staff. Please contact us for further discussion on eastHR@choicecaregroup.com
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Choice Care Group?
I’ve been in this company for several years and must say it was much above the Minimum wage when I started, as time has progressed it has almost equaled to the current minimum wage. Pay does not reflect on the cost of living in the area. No extra holiday increase for long term staff or pay increments, no bonuses (unless you count store vouchers at Christmas or on your 5th or 10th anniversary working with the company). You are entitled to 3 weeks sick pay a year and this too does not increase with your employment. Staff with NVQ Level 2 or 3 in Health and social care receive the same amount of pay as those staff without the qualifications. I do believe however if you completed a level 5 qualification (Management Level) your pay was increased.
Expansions of new care homes within the company are often but as brilliant as this looks on paper, the company lacks employees to keep the service maintained at a good standard. Staff are stressed, over worked and exhausted. Unfortunately this does have a impact on the Service users who at times do not receive the level of attention they require and only their basic needs are met during these periods.

You will most likely be seconded to a home that is lacking in employees during your employment. You will be paid £50 a week extra as a good will gesture, but this rarely compensates for the inconvenience.

I must add that the Service users are wonderful and many of a staff (including Management within the home) will go out of there way to support you and welcome you within the service given the current situation the company is in.

Choice
 - more...
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Days out and holidays with S.users. Tea and coffee available.
Cons
Secondment, does not meet Living wage, paperwork, High staff turn over, Service user Behaviours etc
9 January 2020
Truly mentally exhausting and horrible place to work, with nasty comments with bullying undertones and nasty comments throughout my time here and very very cliquey! Phony folks all through. Smile in your face, bite you in the neck. They might even give you a secret name behind your back. So be prepared as you tread into this despicable spectacle. The money isn't even worth it so advise yourself.
They tell you take initiative and then attack you, nitpick at you and degrade you and make you seem incompetent. Their insecurity is on full display and any attempt to vent at you is mostly inspired by their own own cacophonous lifestyle, personal choices, frustrations and problems. Zero zeal and possibly an equal measure of responsibility and accountability. It's always someone's fault that something went wrong. No teamwork and mutual respect.
9 January 2020
I have learnt a lot there. It was a great experience and gave me the chance to learn lots of different skills on everyday basis. I have enjoy and learnt at the same time.
20 December 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We love to hear our employees enjoying their experience with us and it is great to hear how you have learnt and progressed. Thank you for all your hard work!
So lets put it this way i would rather be shot than recommend any one to work here. all they do is blame other people and not themselves, they are very slow. dont treat their staff the way they should be treated they have lost loads and i mean loads of staff this year due to the way the management work. they haven't a care if one of your family members are in hospital and seriously ill. they favour certain staff over others. anything you do will never be good for them. they do not reward you for the good things you do they only come down on you for all the mistakes you do. ILL SAY THIS NOW, """"I MEAN DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT TOUCH THIS COMPANY WITH A BARGE POLE, THEY'RE NO GOOD."""
20 December 2019
management are really nice and get along with very well. ive learned alot off things whilst starting this job . I enjoy working for the company but sometimes i think maybe a change is good and will help improve my skills.

everyday is different which is really good. the pay is not great but to start with and help gain knowledge its ok .
11 November 2019
We appreciate your positive comments and are proud to have such a caring and dedicated workforce.
Very unprofessional and low work ethics consistent throughout staff.
Overall a very unimpressive company to work for.

Shift hours swapped last minute with no warning and the employer maintains little to no interest in helping employees manage the high workload and stressful environment
11 November 2019
It’s unfortunate that you have had a negative experience working for us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further, as your comments are not reflective of the views of the majority of our staff. Please contact us for further discussion on WestHR@choicecaregroup.com
The relationship between staff is good most of the time
Pay is ridiculously low for what we do

The manager is one of the best managers ever

Some staff unreliable
Pros
Great manager, you get dinner on some late shifts if there is enough
Cons
Low pay, have to travel far for training, staff always sick
16 July 2019
Thank you for the feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Management were disgusting in the way they spoke to and treated staff my mental health massively deteriorated.
Pros
Free food and drink and the service users were lively
Cons
Poor management
16 July 2019
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this is not reflective of the majority of our staff’s experiences of working for us. We take all matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address this. If you could please send an email to WestHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved we would appreciate this.
With choice it depends what home you are in, no matter what it’s so good to work with SU and great enjoyment to assist them to live a fulfilling life.

However people say the promotion opportunities are excellent I have to disagree with this it seems like kids are being promoted to team leaders and seniors straight away but slightly older and experienced staff with qualifications are pushed aside or have to go on fast track it doesn’t make sense. I believe this will not change seems like opportunities are given to younger staff.

Salary one of lowest in the industry but have so many jobs they can pay current staff overtime rate but they won’t but will pay for agency instead which is more money.

I stay because I love working with SU but I am still keeping my options open and I am seriously thinking about change in career out of care.
Pros
Working with Service users
Cons
Pay lack of opportunities for older staff
21 June 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to read this, we do pride ourselves on giving everyone fair and equal opportunities for progression. Our staff are at the heart of our homes and it is great to hear how passionate you are about working with the SU's we would not want to lose a valued member of staff like yourself. This is an issue we would like to resolve if you could email us on SouthHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can discuss this.
very good place enjoyed working there lovely staff great manager would definitely recommend working here chilled home environment
really learned new skills
Pros
friendly house
Cons
life and work balance
17 May 2019
Awfully bad management my manager discloses confidential personal issues with fellow colleagues, job advertised management development programmes which is not true as I have seen multiple members of the management TEAM wanting to progress however these individuals are not ever given the opportunity to gain knowledge within the management side of things. Staff are favoured more than others meaning rules are bent for them leaving other staff annoyed, I have not learnt anything new since joining choice care group and am very much looking forward to continuing onto another company is which I can blossom and use my full potential.
Pros
Free lunch on shift, very kind colleagues.
Cons
Bad management
17 May 2019
The only good thing about the job is the training. Management don't care about their staff. When its your weekend off, they will put you on a nightshift, so you'll spend your first day off asleep, don't plan anything with your family, but the deputies and managers get their full weekends off. Too many young staff get promoted before the more reliable older staff. The management in head office don't sort any of this out, thats why so many people leave. My advice is don't apply.
Pros
None.
Cons
Nightshifts on weekends off. Awful pay. Long Hours.
26 February 2019
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this does not reflect Choice Care Group’s values. We do believe in progression and equal opportunities for all of our employees. As a member of head office staff i can assure you we do take matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address any issues you believe there to be. If you could please send an email to SouthHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.