Choice Care Group

Choice Care Group Employee Reviews in Southampton

Southampton18 reviews
Featured review
Choice Care Group selected this as a representative review
I can only say I do love my job
It’s so rewarding with our wonderful service users

Training is very good along with the induction where you do a lot of training plus shadowing on shift

It’s a very caring company.
Pros
Being with our service users and having fun
17 May 2019
Thanks for the lovely feedback. It’s always nice to hear the positive experiences of those working for us and we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
work was easy and slow. no real support from management wether it was problems in the workplace or accounting for where you live compared to job location. no real reward for hard word or effort. asked to stick to policies then punished when the policy was followed. would not recommend working here and i wouldnt work for choice ever again.
Pros
It is a good job for the fellowship, they are very familiar, there is opportunity for promotion. It is nice to work with a good team like them, but unfortunately the salary is low. It takes a long time since they conduct the interview until they start working.
17 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to read that you have had a positive experience with Choice Care Group. I do appreciate the time it takes to undergo the DBS check but I can assure you we always endeavour to make the process as quick as possible.
I loved working at Ocknell. The best place I have ever worked. The manager ❤️ amazing. Clients ❤️ amazing. Staff ❤️ amazing. Moneys pretty rubbish, long hours. But all together that didn't really matter with the people I went in for. If I moved back to Southampton I wouldn't think twice about going back!!
20 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you have had such a positive experience with the company and at Ocknell! Our staff in the homes are at the core of the company and we cannot thank you enough for the hard work and effort you put in. We wish you all the best success in your future endeavours.
management are really nice and get along with very well. ive learned alot off things whilst starting this job . I enjoy working for the company but sometimes i think maybe a change is good and will help improve my skills.

everyday is different which is really good. the pay is not great but to start with and help gain knowledge its ok .
11 November 2019
We appreciate your positive comments and are proud to have such a caring and dedicated workforce.
Very unprofessional and low work ethics consistent throughout staff.
Overall a very unimpressive company to work for.

Shift hours swapped last minute with no warning and the employer maintains little to no interest in helping employees manage the high workload and stressful environment
11 November 2019
It’s unfortunate that you have had a negative experience working for us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further, as your comments are not reflective of the views of the majority of our staff. Please contact us for further discussion on WestHR@choicecaregroup.com
This company really does try hard to do it's best. I had a great time overall working for Choice. The progression was second to none. Promotion after promotion, however I think a lot of that was due to very few applications alongside quick growth. The support wasn't really there for new members of the management team. Circumstances dictated that the responsibilities of the job impacted on work life balance to a massive degree working consecutive 15 hour days while sleeping over was not uncommon and often expected. If your face doesn't fit with some of the area managers you've had it! But there were a couple of really nice ones. Senior management were lovely but not really able to reduce the burden of all those hours. Fast growth, new services and couldnt employ decent staff to fill the current homes let alone new ones. Training at Choice is very good though and most importantly the service users were lovely to take care of. Choice is a decent company to work for because of what they provide and their values which they do hold dear. However, there are more organised and better paying care providers out there. I'd recommend choice if you are looking to learn quick and progress and then find a position somewhere more settled.
Pros
Quick progression, Company values. Directors, some area managers.
Cons
Too many hours, below average pay. Disorganised.
26 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to read that you didn't feel supported by management and although you feel aspects of the role are positive, we would like to discuss the issues you have experienced. Therefore please send an email to southHR@choicecaregroup.com
The only good thing about the job is the training. Management don't care about their staff. When its your weekend off, they will put you on a nightshift, so you'll spend your first day off asleep, don't plan anything with your family, but the deputies and managers get their full weekends off. Too many young staff get promoted before the more reliable older staff. The management in head office don't sort any of this out, thats why so many people leave. My advice is don't apply.
Pros
None.
Cons
Nightshifts on weekends off. Awful pay. Long Hours.
26 February 2019
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this does not reflect Choice Care Group’s values. We do believe in progression and equal opportunities for all of our employees. As a member of head office staff i can assure you we do take matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address any issues you believe there to be. If you could please send an email to SouthHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
Choice Care group is a good company, I learned how to care and support for others, management isn't amazing however I like working with the team it's enjoyable and the service users are interesting, we get to take them out for activities
Pros
good experience
Cons
difficult salary and long hours
26 February 2019
Thank you for the positive feedback, we love hearing our employee’s enjoying their experiences with us. Its great that you're enjoying the learning and new experiences, we value your hard work with us!
You work and work but wages it’s too low , they are paying very low wages and this company is very big but only one thing that they should change is wages at least they have to think about night shift staff. Night shift staff are getting paid almost they same as normal day shift which is not good th only difference is 10 pence , pls I would love authority to get involve to help night shift staff to be recognised with the company and get good pay wages
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Low wages
6 November 2018
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this does not reflect Choice Care Group’s values.We highly value all our staff both Night and Day staff, our wages are reflective of the care industry as a whole. We do have things in place such as Employee of the Month and Wellness bonuses to reward our staff that go above and beyond.
I work for Choice and have been promoted and put on management devopmentwhich I really love. The service I work in is person centred and we do great activities with the people we look after. I am looking forward to being developed further and the training I get is very good as well
Pros
Flexible working
27 February 2019
Was a very rewarding job and everyday was different I had a bad experience with staff I found that were backstabbing if you are a favourite of management you got away with anything and everything. Management weren't great they were extremley unreliable and unorganized. You would receive no end of calls to come to work and cover even if you are on annual leave. The salary is not good for what you do I found that cleaning came before residents. Staff would get confrontational in front of residents when management were made aware it was swept under the carpet. Once I had left the job I never got paid in full when talking to other employees that had left they had the same. When I questioned head office they said I was under hours which I never was as I would work over my hours every week.
Pros
Great residents everyday was different
Cons
Longs hours, low wage, unreliable staff and management
Didn't receive any training and was expected to perform 100%. From day one when I joined one of the first things I was told is that I will not last here that long. Allot of people talk behind your back, including people in senior positions and the culture is just terrible. The entire organisation is split into favoured groups where directors only care for their own sake and reputation than the actual progress of the company.
Pros
Only met one decent person
Cons
Bad Management
Started off as a social care worker and quickly made promotion to team leader. Am now doing a management development programme and salary is reflected to my promotion. Love the people I work with. Get paid to go on holiday with people. Have dinner with people. It's like a family
Pros
Development
30 November 2018
Thank you for the positive feedback, we love hearing our employees are enjoying their experiences with us.
Care is not always the easiest career path however my time with Choice was very enjoyable. Yes its hard, yes the pay isn't fantastic (but the care sector has never been known as being the most profitable). Having worked in Care since I was young I had begun to tire of care and struggled to motivate myself but since I started working for Choice Care Group I found a renewed passion for the job and it was refreshing to work in a place where I felt valued and the residents were always put first.
]Its sad to see some of the negative reviews on here which are clearly by disgruntled employees who have a personal issue with the company as they could put people off who could potentially have a successful career with this company.

You only have to visit one of the homes to see that the staff there want to do everything that they can to ensure that the residents have the best possible standard of life and I believe that this stems from the companies strong values.
Pros
Lovely people, career progression, memories
27 February 2019
Our staff are the backbone of our organisation and we are delighted to have such enthusiastic and compassionate people working for us. Thank you for your comments.
i absolutely loved working with both the staff and client base in this company lots of training and support from MDT.. I visited other homes as well as the one I worked in and that's exactly what they were HOMES
27 February 2019
A great work place with a really supportive staff team and home manager. The day would normally start with balancing the money and administering medication to the service users then making sure the daily jobs in the house are completed. The hardest part of the job is we are always short staffed and The best part of the job is knowing you help people that need it everyday.
Pros
Plenty of annual leave, Great Co Workers
Cons
Short Staffed
27 February 2019
Left this company due to the sheer incompetence of management, Everything was a short cut, a truely worrying experience.
Cons
Long hours, no pattern to shifts, days off where an expected phone call to come in.
A typical day at work is quite difficult to say as every day was different due to the serivce users moods as one day they could be in a good mood and the next day they could wake up in an agitated mood. I learnt how to understand more about people with mental health and challenging behaviours and the way they deal with things compared to someone like us they are just normal people that can do anything like anyone else but just need that extra little bit of help. The management at the home i worked at were excellent they didnt seperate there selfs and hide in the office they joined in with us support workers. We all worked as a team and helped each other out. The hardest part of the job was when i had to due to maternity. Every minute of the day was enjoyable as get to take the service users out into the community and watch them enjoy there selfs being part of the community.