Choice Care Group

Choice Care Group Employee Reviews in Reading

Reading18 reviews
Featured review
Choice Care Group selected this as a representative review
I can only say I do love my job
It’s so rewarding with our wonderful service users

Training is very good along with the induction where you do a lot of training plus shadowing on shift

It’s a very caring company.
Pros
Being with our service users and having fun
17 May 2019
Thanks for the lovely feedback. It’s always nice to hear the positive experiences of those working for us and we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
I will start with the one and only positive about working for Choice Care Group. The staff I worked with are some of the most dedicated, caring individuals I have ever had the pleasure of working with. The service users are looked after as well as they possibly can be. That unfortunately is where the positives end. If you love being a support worker then avoid Choice like the plague. The senior management (Ones in head office not the home managers) couldn't care less about the service users or the staff. Unfortunately you are just a number to them. They are more interested in making money and expanding than they are looking after the staff or the service users. For a large company to not use simple things like online rota systems is ridiculous. They are constantly increasing the amount of paperwork that staff are expected to fill in and this all takes away time spent with the service users. Again the amount of paper that is used really isn't environmentally friendly.
Last point is a lack of caring about staff's mental and physical health. I have never come so close to being signed off with mental health issues (which I didn't have before I started working there). I mentioned it to my line manager and got no response or support in fact it was laughed off.
Pros
Dedicated staff
Cons
Too many to list
Strong company and well respected. Excellent progression opportunities. Comprehensive training programmes. Long term vision and programmes of expansion.
17 March 2020
Thank you for the positive feedback, we’re pleased to hear that. We agree!
days are different day to day,exemplarly training,hardlyany increments from start of employment,management chain corrupt and nepotism is rife,work culture has varied cliques but everybody works toward the greater cause ultimately
11 March 2020
It’s unfortunate that you have had a negative experience working for us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further, as your comments are not reflective of the views of the majority of our staff. Please contact us for further discussion on eastHR@choicecaregroup.com
I’ve been in this company for several years and must say it was much above the Minimum wage when I started, as time has progressed it has almost equaled to the current minimum wage. Pay does not reflect on the cost of living in the area. No extra holiday increase for long term staff or pay increments, no bonuses (unless you count store vouchers at Christmas or on your 5th or 10th anniversary working with the company). You are entitled to 3 weeks sick pay a year and this too does not increase with your employment. Staff with NVQ Level 2 or 3 in Health and social care receive the same amount of pay as those staff without the qualifications. I do believe however if you completed a level 5 qualification (Management Level) your pay was increased.
Expansions of new care homes within the company are often but as brilliant as this looks on paper, the company lacks employees to keep the service maintained at a good standard. Staff are stressed, over worked and exhausted. Unfortunately this does have a impact on the Service users who at times do not receive the level of attention they require and only their basic needs are met during these periods.

You will most likely be seconded to a home that is lacking in employees during your employment. You will be paid £50 a week extra as a good will gesture, but this rarely compensates for the inconvenience.

I must add that the Service users are wonderful and many of a staff (including Management within the home) will go out of there way to support you and welcome you within the service given the current situation the company is in.

Choice
 - more...
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Days out and holidays with S.users. Tea and coffee available.
Cons
Secondment, does not meet Living wage, paperwork, High staff turn over, Service user Behaviours etc
9 January 2020
Went there with positivity there is always recruitment going on, not much staff, expectations of the job aren't what I thought. I ended up leaving due progressing elsewhere.
hardest part was keeping staff.
20 December 2019
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, and can assure you this is not reflective of our company values, we do pride ourselves on staff retention and strongly value our long service staff members. If you could please send an email to eastHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
THEY WILL WORK YOU TOO THE BONE.
You’re not appreciated for your hard work and dedication, instead you’re tossed aside when you’re no longer useful.

Management from head office is appalling. They look down their noses at people who work in the homes, they only like people who brown nose.

If your face doesn’t fit you might as well give up as you won’t get anything in ways of promotional opportunity, management only promote those who brown nose and don’t ask questions; the minute you stop doing this you will be shunned. If your face doesn’t fit you will get no support from management or senior staff with anything what-so-ever you will be left to fend for yourself.

There is a culture of treating new staff badly, senior staff give new staff the really hard jobs and do not help them, they will tease and make fun and laugh at new staff until they are pushed out/ especially if you do not fit in with the ruling group of , for lose of a better word, bullies.

There is little to no support from management, they spend all their time in office and don’t support their staff on the floor and if it is a weekend you can forget about management picking up the phone during a crisis and sometimes their phones are off during the weekend.

The company as a whole is very understaffed , meaning contracted staff have to pick up extra shift sometimes doubling their contracted hours and they still have to call in agency to fill the rest. You can forget about working in the home you applied to work in if another home is understaffed you will shipped off to that home without being spoken to
 - more...
11 November 2019
It’s unfortunate that you have had a negative experience working for us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further, as your comments are not reflective of the views of the majority of our staff. Please contact us for further discussion on easthr@choicecaregroup.com
In my work as a support worker, I have learned about caring for disabled people, spending time with them, personal care, but the most important thing is to understand their needs and develop empathy.
11 November 2019
Thank you for the positive feedback, we love hearing our employees are enjoying their experiences with us.
very good place enjoyed working there lovely staff great manager would definitely recommend working here chilled home environment
really learned new skills
Pros
friendly house
Cons
life and work balance
17 May 2019
Good place to work. Not flexible when it comes to staff request e.g switching to flexible hours due to change in circumstances is not possible. Making it very difficult for the staff to cope.
Pros
Free dinner
Cons
No flexibility
30 November 2018
We appreciate your positive comments and are proud to have such a caring and dedicated workforce. We always strive to be as flexible as possible with all of our staff whilst balancing this with the needs of those we support.
I love this job!!! Started 18 months ago as a support worker and fell in love with the work. No 2 shifts are ever the same and the people we support and great. Really supportive team and management. Pay is ok and I can do additional shifts which is a bonus. I recommended the company to my Sister who now works at another home and I got a bonus for this! I'm now a Senior and will be starting the management development programme next month (the training is excellent!). I would recommend working here.
Pros
Great place to work with a supportive team
Cons
None so far
30 November 2018
It’s always nice to hear the positive experiences of those working for us and we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.Thanks for the lovely feedback.
Poorly run and disorganised company. They never care about the staffs well being. They will send you to places and not train you properly. As a result you get into trouble.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Bad management
30 November 2018
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this does not reflect Choice Care Group’s values. We take matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address this. If you could please send an email to EastHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
very fun and most we are organised as group to make fun trip.
is the good company and always look after staff sometimes. we received a traing from them for free.
30 November 2018
Our staff are the backbone of our organisation and we are delighted to have such enthusiastic and compassionate people working for us. Thank you for your comments.
This company do not treat their staff well. They give inexperienced staff responsible jobs without training or proper induction, then blame the staff when things go wrong. They expect you to be available for work 24/7 and the pay is one of the lowest in the sector. They let go of staff without proper written warnings or notifications and they do not support their staff well.

They expect staff to travel 50 miles each way to attend training courses and do not refund travel costs until months later. They expect staff to drive up to one hour to cover shifts in other services owned by the company and they ask far too much of their staff without considering the logistics.
Pros
progress staff quickly
Cons
Do not offer senior staff enough support
30 November 2018
• Keeping the residents in a healthy and safe environment.
• Helping the individuals continue on their journey of learning.

• Assisting/Supporting the residents with their everyday duties.

• Ensuring my knowledge and training up-to date to ensure their safety.

• Working with a great team to ensure all standards are adhered to a high level.
30 November 2018
Choice has been a great employer to work for. My manager is always understanding and supportive. The communication with the staff is brilliant as we are communicated all changes through memos and newsletters. I managed to complete an NVQ through Choice and have done plenty of training that I find very helpful and interesting. It is a very friendly and homely place to work at. I would higly recommend to everyone to give it a try as this has been my first job in care and has been very rewarding for me.
Pros
Nice atmosphere, Company events, Communication, Support
30 November 2018
It is a fantastic workplace where the atmosphere is friendly and dynamic. The management team takes care of workers and ensures that we do our best work. It was a great opportunity to start and develop my skills, but I would like to move forward in my career and try new fields.
30 November 2018
The best part of working in my line of work is seeing the difference in our service users each day, which shows how much we play a big part.
we have a wide range of co-workers in care, we all get along really well. All staff use there incentive when working as a team also on there own.
30 November 2018
Exellent levels of care provided. Highly trained staff, great working environment.