Choice Care Group

United Kingdom179 reviews
Featured review
Choice Care Group selected this as a representative review
Rewarding career
I can only say I do love my job
It’s so rewarding with our wonderful service users

Training is very good along with the induction where you do a lot of training plus shadowing on shift

It’s a very caring company.
Pros
Being with our service users and having fun
17 May 2019
Thanks for the lovely feedback. It’s always nice to hear the positive experiences of those working for us and we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Clicky, disrespectful, badly managed company. AVOID!
Poor management. Rota never out in good time. Favouristism shown to whoever's is in the click. Promotion given to who they like rather than who deserves it or best qualified.
poor
vile vile vile staff and management, service users’ behaviours are so badly dealt with - you leave with scratches and bruises everywhere. certain relations between staff that shouldn’t be happening in a workplace, completely unprofessional.
8 April 2020
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this does not reflect Choice Care Group’s values. We take matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address this. If you could please send an email to EastHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
Treated terribly
Loved my job, thought I would advance within the company. Got sacked without any explanation of what I did wrong. Followed all my training when attacked by an aggressive service user but got no support within the company.
Pros
Great colleagues, rewarding, the service isers
Cons
They completely ruined my dream job with no decent explanation
8 April 2020
Management at choice care group is awful, highly unappreciated and when managers are on shift they leave you to do all the personal care and sit on there phones to other managers! Or always make you do more rather then it being fair share, even in supervision’s each month they never say anything nice about staff or staff meetings, after doing long day after long day or dealing with a behaviour there is still no thank you, can’t even report it to other manager as nothing is a secret, only reason half our staff is still here is because of the service users managers don’t even know there own service users enough it’s is appalling!
Would not recommend.
I would highly NOT recommend this place at all. The manager is rude and unappreciative of staff, and seems to have no clue, to what he is doing. Some staff are nice and friendly, and majority of those are lazy and don't seem to care. You don't get half the benefits that are stated. And you don't have much social life either, over worked staff and the pay is not that great.
The only thing great about this company is the service users.
17 March 2020
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise and reassure you this does not reflect Choice Care Group’s values. We take matters like this very seriously and would like to ask you to help us address this. If you could please send an email to WestHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
Good training and excellent progression opportunities
Strong company and well respected. Excellent progression opportunities. Comprehensive training programmes. Long term vision and programmes of expansion.
17 March 2020
Thank you for the positive feedback, we’re pleased to hear that. We agree!
Working for Choice Care Group
When I started working for Choice Care Group it seemed alright - I loved working with the service users, although the staff were clichy. But the management was unsupportive and did not seem to care about their staff, especially involving the challenging behaviour of some of the SUs. I was particularly alarmed by the apparent deficient of risk assessments. Would not recommend to a friend; the pay is ok k, but just not worth it in the end.
17 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to read this, and whilst it doesn’t match the feedback we get from our happy colleagues every day at Choice Care Group, we would like to discuss the issues you have experienced. Therefore please send an email to WestHR@choicecaregroup.com
Choice care group
If you’re looking to start a career in health and social care choice care group
Is a good place to start however it is not for long term individuals. Salary is poor, management is poor.
17 March 2020
I am sorry to hear that you feel that way, and whilst it doesn’t match the feedback we get from our happy colleagues every day at Choice Care Group we would like to thank you for your feedback.
Fellowship.
It is a good job for the fellowship, they are very familiar, there is opportunity for promotion. It is nice to work with a good team like them, but unfortunately the salary is low. It takes a long time since they conduct the interview until they start working.
17 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to read that you have had a positive experience with Choice Care Group. I do appreciate the time it takes to undergo the DBS check but I can assure you we always endeavour to make the process as quick as possible.
Rewarding job
This is my first time writing a review for this company. I have now left unfortunately since August 2019.
My favourite part was working with the service users. Seeing ther smiles and taking them to their activities. I frequently hear how much they miss me, and in honesty it does make me want to go back. I wish I could.
17 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, it is lovely to hear your feedback and we are pleased you have had such a positive time working at Choice Care Group!
workplace exellent
days are different day to day,exemplarly training,hardlyany increments from start of employment,management chain corrupt and nepotism is rife,work culture has varied cliques but everybody works toward the greater cause ultimately
11 March 2020
It’s unfortunate that you have had a negative experience working for us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further, as your comments are not reflective of the views of the majority of our staff. Please contact us for further discussion on eastHR@choicecaregroup.com
Great company values upper management needs changing
Great company to work for, the staff are fantastic service users are phenomenal and the home managers are really friendly and supportive. That's where it ends. I have seen my manager go from really happy to stressed out and worrying every time they have a visit from the higher management. All they seem to care about is how the home looks rather than the amazing work we as staff seem to put in. There is never any gratitude from upper management.
Pros
Ever changing job, no 2 days are the same
Cons
lack of support from head office
Alright
Not a bad company to work for, the hours are way to much sometimes. Depends if you like community or not. And if health care is for you. Wasn’t a good job in winter if you wasn’t a driver
Has been company
I’ve been in this company for several years and must say it was much above the Minimum wage when I started, as time has progressed it has almost equaled to the current minimum wage. Pay does not reflect on the cost of living in the area. No extra holiday increase for long term staff or pay increments, no bonuses (unless you count store vouchers at Christmas or on your 5th or 10th anniversary working with the company). You are entitled to 3 weeks sick pay a year and this too does not increase with your employment. Staff with NVQ Level 2 or 3 in Health and social care receive the same amount of pay as those staff without the qualifications. I do believe however if you completed a level 5 qualification (Management Level) your pay was increased.
Expansions of new care homes within the company are often but as brilliant as this looks on paper, the company lacks employees to keep the service maintained at a good standard. Staff are stressed, over worked and exhausted. Unfortunately this does have a impact on the Service users who at times do not receive the level of attention they require and only their basic needs are met during these periods.

You will most likely be seconded to a home that is lacking in employees during your employment. You will be paid £50 a week extra as a good will gesture, but this rarely compensates for the inconvenience.

I must add that the Service users are wonderful and many of a staff (including Management within the home) will go out of there way to support you and welcome you within the service given the current situation the company is in.

Choice
 - more...
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Days out and holidays with S.users. Tea and coffee available.
Cons
Secondment, does not meet Living wage, paperwork, High staff turn over, Service user Behaviours etc
9 January 2020
can be rewarding at times
working at choice care group was enjoyable at the start , although the management was rude and kept things hidden from staff I.e risks ect . management wouldn't listen to staff or residents and didn't care about the safety of staff or residents

choice paid well but wasn't enough for the job role and risks aswell as the areas .

very stressful job , no support from any management , training are useless

life and work balance was ok but certain staff would be allowed to pick shifts while others couldn't and overall just not an enjoyable company to work for

the best part of the job was seeing the residents smile and enjoy planned activities
9 January 2020
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with the Company, and can assure you this is not reflective of our company values, we do pride ourselves on staff retention and strongly value our long service staff members. If you could please send an email to eastHR@choicecaregroup.com so that we can get this resolved.
Excellent Company
Loved working for them, but the salary was about £10k under market rate. The care sector is badly funded and paid though. Excellent staff who buy into the "vocation" concept, but the finance is just not enough.
Pros
Excellent managers and colleagues
Cons
Suffers from care sector pay issues
Impertinent Staff and Condescending Management
Truly mentally exhausting and horrible place to work, with nasty comments with bullying undertones and nasty comments throughout my time here and very very cliquey! Phony folks all through. Smile in your face, bite you in the neck. They might even give you a secret name behind your back. So be prepared as you tread into this despicable spectacle. The money isn't even worth it so advise yourself.
They tell you take initiative and then attack you, nitpick at you and degrade you and make you seem incompetent. Their insecurity is on full display and any attempt to vent at you is mostly inspired by their own own cacophonous lifestyle, personal choices, frustrations and problems. Zero zeal and possibly an equal measure of responsibility and accountability. It's always someone's fault that something went wrong. No teamwork and mutual respect.
Challenging and Progressive
I have grown so much while working with the company. Learning new skills and stepping out of my comfort zone is something that is widely encouraged. Great company to work for, and would highly recommend.
Horrible place to work
I was an employee here for around a year and a half. When I first started I loved my job but the more I got to know management the more unprofessional they seemed. Management are very immature and minipulative. They bully their staff especially the younger team members. They overlook people for promotions in order for their favourite staff members to succeed.
20 December 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to read this, we very much encourage progression in staff members of all levels and whilst it doesn’t match the feedback we get from our happy colleagues every day at Choice Care Group, we would like to discuss the issues you have experienced. Therefore please send an email to SouthHR@choicecaregroup.com
Low pay for hard work and unsupported by management
Low pay for long hard working hours.
Weekends off aren't weekends off as you work Friday night through to Saturday morning so end up using your weekend off to catch up on sleep. You get harassed to work on days off or on annual leave as they are always understaffed.

Be prepared to do all the work so that management's favourites can chat with them in office for entire shift or leave 1-2 hours early. Management are unsupportive if you complain about certain staff not doing their fair share. Staff form cliques and bully those that don't fit in.

Team leaders boss staff around and palm off their duties onto other staff as they are in for a good time

The hard workers and the service users suffer for it

They advertise that they go on activities but that's a lie. No money no activities. Unless you count going to asda for bread an activity or having a bath.

Service users literally just walk around the living room day in day out
20 December 2019
We are very sorry to read this, we can ensure you that management in all Choice Care Group homes are trained to the highest level and their role is to be a strong support system for the staff teams in their homes. Unfortunately due to the nature of shift work this can mean working antisocial hours but we will always ensure the rotas are completed on a fair working basis. The matter of bullying is something we take very seriously and urge this to always be reported as soon as possible, we would like to discuss the issues you have experienced, if you could therefore please send an email to SouthHR@choicecaregroup.com
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Choice Care Group. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8