Chiquito

Chiquito Pay & benefits reviews

United Kingdom171 reviews
In the beginning I was very happy. But after few months the atmosphere wasn't that good all the time. Not very good relationships with other parts of the restaurant. No possibility to grow.
Pros
Tips, hours
Cons
People
I will not work there again contracted 55 hours per week, most of the times you do 65-75 hours and is expected from you to do this unpaid. Pure slavery.
You're just a number the company doesn't look after staff. Very bad experience.
I Only worked at Uxbridge branch for 3 weeks and my employment got dismissed which was not stated in the contract at all. The job description was false because i thought you would become a waitress whereas actually i was just a runner. Pay rate was underpay compared to other companies would not recommend working here at all. the manager was very difficult to work with, she kept disagreeing with me and created a stressful, unhappy work environment causing me to be stressed and unable to enjoy the job and be focused. the manager also created unnecessary arguments and kept giving negative comments- no sign of praise or encouragement at all! which i am very disappointed having worked in many successful management companies. My hours were also getting cut and there were no benefits of being an employee either. absolutely disappointing. no recognition of hard work.
Pros
nothing
Just like many other chain restaurants. Chiquito's is minimum age kinda salary restaurant which could be fun to start your career in hospitality.
Little or no experience required and with much luck a good management.

Environment is always abit stress full and busy.
Jobs always at risk if manager don't like you. they do not accommodate for traveling workers at all.
Managers make the workers feel small.

Kitchen staff made to feel like no power at all, can't raise thoughts or experess any feelingas things as it will go around and get twisted.

Managers will make you come in early on a 5 hour shift expect you to wait 1 to 2 hours if it's not busy and work 2 hours and send you home 5 hours early due to no work. This is a constant thing specially Walsall.
Very hard to book weekends off as there isn't enough staff there. Dont know the rota for week beginning Monday until a couple days before, therefore no time to plan your weeks or days off.
Staff no longer even get free soft drinks on shift, have to have water or cordial. They've reduced 50% discount on bill to only twice a month. Only minimum wage.
The brand itself has a very optimistic company culture, but this is certainly not transferred in to the true working life at Chiquito.
The managers are the biggest downfall of the company, they are manipulative, unprofessional and have no awareness of treating their staff with respect. I worked at this company for over four years and only upon leaving did I realise the lack of professionalism the company operated with. I’d like to give some examples of the poor etiquette that transpired while I was with the company

If the restaurant is quiet, managers will make staff stay on a break for in excess of two hours (unpaid) until tables begin to fill up. I’ve even had instances where I would show up at my start-time, and managers would make me go on my break straight away because the restaurant wasn’t busy enough (Not once did they call in advance to let you know you can start your shift later). You will be working every weekend, all weekend, the managers do not consider your life outside of work and expect you to work around the schedule they give you. I even had an instance where I’ve phoned in sick, but got told that if I didn’t show up, I’d face disciplinary action (not sure this is acceptable protocol considering it was my first sick day in two years).

They are extremely selfish, they wanted optimum performance from staff whilst giving no praise in return. There were times where I would be kept at work until past midnight, even though I had another shift the following morning at 9am. Also, the restaurant became so clique-like, the managers didn’t even trust their staff
 - more...
Pros
Free lunch, serving staff keep their own tips
Cons
everything else
good people, good shifts, good tips, however the management team dint seem very trained in how to be a manager as there were instances with staff members that they didn't know how to deal with.
The job had its perks. 6 hour shifts, a fun environment. But this did not come withouts its downfalls. Staff were obnoxious and had little to no care of the service.
Pros
Free lunches
I worked 2 years in Chiquitos, normally long working hours 10-14 hours daily. I feel confident managing all sections, and made some friends there. I am not too happy with the work life balance, that is why I`m looking for new challenges.
Pros
good wages, nice meals
Cons
long shifts
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Chiquito?
Very fun to be in and teaches skills of independence and to take initiative however did have downfalls in management and Job benefits. Is on the upcome however with new managers taking the lead.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Was ok but working to many hours in on shift does affect you and become not consistent
To many discounts offered to the guests and make you work double for less money
Pros
Free food on duty
Cons
They do not look after you when u need their help
Staff is very friendly including managment,
due to how busy the restaurant is the working hours are stable.
Lively and fun enviroment,

Decent pay

The job requires good work ethic skills and being able to work under pressure as well as control your stress but it's very rewarding.
Working at a restaurant is good for young people, as a starter job. If managers are incompetent then your job will be a lot harder. If you manage your time wisely, it can be fun
Pros
tips
Cons
chiquitos is a fun place to work if your a student, however if trying to make a living its not ideal, they have dropped staff of contracts and moan when the staff don't pick up extra shifts
Pros
lunch on shift
Cons
long hours short break
lots of learning and development as well as chances for progressions if youre willing to work hard, i earned my green gecko for competence in bartending
Pros
not too late working hours
Cons
gets quiet and hours get cut
Had a questionable manager but great team, I was told that my pay would increase as I develop but didn’t happen. The management of the branch was questionable
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours, regular pay
poor managment throughout. Issues with pay from the start aswell as pay not what promised. Other staff members that were younger were getting paid more than me.
Lots of fun, good experience learning about new food and of course TEQUILLA!!
The hardest part of the job is to not eat the food that your serving, but everyone I worked with was fabulous and great fun!
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Learning how to use the handheld ipod things
The customer service and multi-tasking is very challenging. The job was stressful. It is difficult to think of many this at the same time and be always smiled and happy as you have to be as a waiter.
Pros
hard lessons learned here
Cons
salary was too low
Great company if you like Mexican food then its the job for you as you get free team food, good team discounts 33% or 50% if you're working, excellent to progress and have a laugh