Chiquito Employee Reviews

Dont have a life
Server/Waitress (Current Employee) –  West Midlands10 August 2019
Very hard to book weekends off as there isn't enough staff there. Dont know the rota for week beginning Monday until a couple days before, therefore no time to plan your weeks or days off.
Staff no longer even get free soft drinks on shift, have to have water or cordial. They've reduced 50% discount on bill to only twice a month. Only minimum wage.
Okay
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh3 August 2019
It was a good place but management was horrible.
Several times we found ourselves understaffed, mainly with kitchen staff.
Manager was very unprofessional
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Trial server (Former Employee) –  Victoria Square20 July 2019
Working as a trial server at Chiquito's was an enjoyable experience i made new friends from working with, and working there gave me the opportunity to gain new experience and develop new skills.
It was okay
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire15 June 2019
management were cocky and had clear favourites. Hours were never set and constantly change which wasn't what I needed being a student. GM messed up my holiday and blamed me for it.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Derby22 May 2019
Nice a team work . Companies looking after employers. Help you to improve your experience and to share with rest of others team and give it to the guests in the business
Terrible
Bartender/Waitress (Former Employee) –  South Ruislip Station1 May 2019
Poor management
Dont give you your contracted hours
If not busy they make you sit out for hours and hours then decide weather or not you start or go home
Rude
Pros
Cons
Poor management
The manager is a joke
bartender (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands28 April 2019
I worked her for like 3 shifts before i gave up,

i have worked in hospitality for over 3 years and coming here i had to take a huge pay cut on hourly rate AND work much harder at my previous job, as they never want to see you "not busy"

things were good, its just the manager (a woman) most people didn't like her in their, was my nightmare, literally, i got along well with 2 other supervisor but this woman shouldn't be a manager for many many reason.

In the overall scheme, think of working under her management like a "dictatorship" haha

but i did only work her 3 shifts,
Pros
the colleagues
Cons
the woman manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham1 April 2019
In management they make you sign up to a 54 hour week which absolutely destroys your work life balance. It's not like they pay you well for it either.

Due to labour costs restraints it is really hard to meet target and you often end up picking up even more hours as a manager.

Closing time is 11pm.... that means if someone comes in att 10:59 and asks for a table, you have to sit them down and serve them otherwise you get a telling off from head office. They have CCTV not to keep employees safe, but to monitor you're not turning away tables close to closing time.
Pros
Complementary lunch on long shifts
Cons
Extremely long hours
Very unprofessional establishment
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester16 March 2019
The brand itself has a very optimistic company culture, but this is certainly not transferred in to the true working life at Chiquito.
The managers are the biggest downfall of the company, they are manipulative, unprofessional and have no awareness of treating their staff with respect. I worked at this company for over four years and only upon leaving did I realise the lack of professionalism the company operated with. I’d like to give some examples of the poor etiquette that transpired while I was with the company

If the restaurant is quiet, managers will make staff stay on a break for in excess of two hours (unpaid) until tables begin to fill up. I’ve even had instances where I would show up at my start-time, and managers would make me go on my break straight away because the restaurant wasn’t busy enough (Not once did they call in advance to let you know you can start your shift later). You will be working every weekend, all weekend, the managers do not consider your life outside of work and expect you to work around the schedule they give you. I even had an instance where I’ve phoned in sick, but got told that if I didn’t show up, I’d face disciplinary action (not sure this is acceptable protocol considering it was my first sick day in two years).

They are extremely selfish, they wanted optimum performance from staff whilst giving no praise in return. There were times where I would be kept at work until past midnight, even though I had another shift the following morning at 9am. Also, the restaurant became so clique-like, the managers didn’t even trust their staff
  more... and would impose all kinds of demeaning rules. If you’re not the managers favourite, your work life may not be too enjoyable.

The only two positives I can give is that certain lunch items are free, and servers keep their own tips.
Pros
Free lunch, serving staff keep their own tips
Cons
everything else
nice place to work in that moment
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset9 March 2019
very good experience, difficult communication at the beginning but after a wile a great place to work easy and organized, management is good and objective.
Pros
all benefit of the law
Cons
routa are not very balanced
Worst company to work for
Chef (Former Employee) –  England7 March 2019
Worst company to work for.

•hours are constantly cut
• managers are useless and unhelpful
• unsociable hours
•rubbish pay

Avoid this company as they do not care about you!!!
Pros
Makes you realise your life wasn’t bad before you took this job
Cons
You will hate your life
good
Waitress (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride12 February 2019
good people, good shifts, good tips, however the management team dint seem very trained in how to be a manager as there were instances with staff members that they didn't know how to deal with.
Fun but no career progression
Waiter and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Feltham11 February 2019
The job had its perks. 6 hour shifts, a fun environment. But this did not come withouts its downfalls. Staff were obnoxious and had little to no care of the service.
Pros
Free lunches
Wansn't for me
They use you
Dont care about you
Poor Management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon6 February 2019
Chiquito has a lot of potential to be a great restaurant but some restaurants specially the one in Exeter is poorly managed by the GM.
No training given, you are expected to know everything from the day you start and no support from the management team.
The GM is hardly at the restaurant and if he is at the restaurant he’s usually sat down somewhere or hiding in the office and not helping the team out.
Poor hourly rate as a supervisor.
Pros
Free food on breaks, 50% discount at any TRG restaurants
Cons
Long hours, poorly managed, Poor hourly rate
fun workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 January 2019
workplace culture
nice food good tasty
no troubles
bartenders and waitres very nice
the place very clean kitchen is open so we can see they cooking
Good, fun role especially for a short-term stop gap
Cocktail Bartender (Former Employee) –  Park Royal12 January 2019
Fast-paced serving food and drink to a high volume of guests.

Learnt cocktail making and Bartending skills. Basic Waiting skills
Management are good and helpful and will always ensure that you do your job well.

Fun, friendly and happy workplace, easy to make friends and lots of opportunities for socialising and celebrating with your team.

Some really busy double shifts with demanding guests were challenging

Great camaraderie during Summer sports events or around Christmas.
Pros
Free lunches and staff discount
Cons
Long hours and late finishes
productive and fun workplace
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Talbot Green ED7 January 2019
I enjoyed working at chiquitos because everything was organised, and had a system to it and this made it easier for everyone to work together in a team.

The atmosphere was always upbeat and this helped to deliver the best customer service throughout the team.
Hard to maintain work life balance
Grillchef (Current Employee) –  Peterborough28 December 2018
I worked 2 years in Chiquitos, normally long working hours 10-14 hours daily. I feel confident managing all sections, and made some friends there. I am not too happy with the work life balance, that is why I`m looking for new challenges.
Pros
good wages, nice meals
Cons
long shifts
Enjoyable
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Westwood, UK29 November 2018
Working for Chiquitos is what you make it. The moneyh can be good if you put the hours in. TRG in genera; is a good company to work for. They care about their employees and always try to get feedback on how they can improve. Work/home balance can be difficult but it is with every job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chiquito. Our community is ready to answer.