Chessington World of Adventures

Chessington World of Adventures Employee Reviews

United Kingdom172 reviews
One of the worst places I’ve ever worked. The staff are horrible, places are dirty, you get yelled at for stuff the manager didn’t do nor tells you to do. It’s a joke. Also very stressful as they pile you with ten things to do and make you stay later to finish them even though new staff have come to replace you.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Awful management
It was a part one and seasonal job but plenty of shifts available working across the park at various food and drink outlets.

Fun team, flexible in shifts and days, uniform provided.
Pros
Discount food, uniform provided, flexible
Cons
Didn’t get magic pass as promised
I truly put my all into my job at Chessington. It was a super fun environment, and I love all my colleagues to pieces... my particular boss was great, but his higher ups...not so much. Working hours were excruciatingly long and pay was rubbish, but I loved the work so I guess it was worth it? Benefits included limited free tickets to Merlin attractions...and sometimes they gave us free ice cream when it was hot :')
Pros
Fun, fast paced environment. No day the same.
Cons
Hard, long hours. Guests could be mean. Pay not great.
Working there was good I really enjoyed it there the only problem was the distance as it wasn’t close to where I live but the good thing about it was that to get there wasn’t complicated at all
I learned communication skills, I enjoyed serving customers at lunch/dinner making sure they got the correct order. Some of the management team were amazing however some of them never explained and just expected you to get on with it. The hardest part of the job was probably learning how to take bookings however I did learn it pretty quickly.
Great place to work, busy, great team spirit. Colleagues all very friendlly. Opportunity to gain great customer service experience. Fast-paced and I learnt how to adapt to the needs of the business.
Pros
Local
Cons
Not knowing what time you would finish.
I had to set up my own stall which consisted of me selling slushies, ice cream and drinks. This allowed me to be independent and help out customers and meet their needs.
Good place to work very friendly people and a laugh never though I would be Woking there u can get cold in the winter but the summer is nice the people that come in are really nice to
Treatment is very bad both hotels and park and lairs on everything don't trust them there they pass the buck you basically need to be very high management for a reason and requires you to be a dog's body
I met some friends for life working at Chessington. Management wasn't very good at listening, but that may have just been the department I was working in - therefore cannot comment on the other departments.
Absolutely terrible company to work for. Long days, short breaks that are ridiculously timed. Terrible management, like being in a primary school with all the clear favouritism. A lot of people talking behind your back, zero hour contracts and all round unfairness.
Career advancement is very good as moved from Rides Host to Assistant Manger in 3 years. Typical days are from 8-7, so on average spend about 12hrs on shift. Management are good but often get wrapped up in numbers and forget you're human. Workplace is very inviting and very easy to make lifelong friends and relationships across departments, which is handy if you ever need help! Most enjoyable part is your work family, and the people that visit, even if they're mean! Hardest part is the wage; you don't get paid the usual management salary of, say a Starbucks or supermarket. For the crazy amount of hours you work, and sweat you put in every day for your team and the guests, you should be paid at least 25% more! Especially as it is in the London wage bracket, and 'danger money'. It isn't a laid back job and get paid peanuts, but fast paced and a poor reflection of what your worth.
I worked here for just over a year and made lots of good friends but the pay is not great and the hours aren't consistent; you could be put down for 8 hours and only end up working 4 or doing 10. Good for a first job and gaining experience.
The management team are very hands on and are very enjoyable and easy to get along with, no day is always the same. A typical day at work consists of taking orders, running food, keeping the restaurant clean and tidy.
This is by far the best job i have ever had, i get to see animals for the majority of my day. The people are all so nice and welcoming. It is always fun and everyday is different
it was very busy. the work ethic is high and the employees are very nice. the pay does not match the amount of work you have to do which is disappointing.
Pros
lovely colleagues
Cons
lower pay
Working with Chessington World Of Adventures helped me understand the importance of cleanness and the importance of customer service and making sure the customer is happy
I strongly don't recommend working here. It is an awful place to work and management have favourites. The changes of getting sacked or disciplined on the stupidest mistake is very high, you will be investigated over the smallest thing, even if it wasn't your fault. (this applies to all merlin places).
The training is absolutely terrible, you are basically trained and are expected to train other members of staff whilst still on the basic wage. Training is done when managers feel like it and if they don't you could have one ride for pretty much the whole of the operating season.

If you have bills to pay, do not work here.

Management are honestly the worst here. they are people who haven't had a job anywhere else but chessington and have no real life experience. They will allow guests to abuse you both physically and verbally and still they say the guests are always "right" so they will give them fast track to make their experience "Like no other"

Job Security is something which is not even thought about at chessington. You can have shifts cancelled last minute, and most of the time chessington lacks budget so they can send you home at briefing right in the beginning of the morning WITHOUT PAY, if you travel far and pay for transport/fuel, you are at a loss here.

You must reapply every year for your job and there is no guarantee that you will get it back even if you have shown commitment and worked hard!

Changes of progressing is nil unless you have contacts in the business or are favorited by management but normally the favorites are individuals old enough to go out
 - more...
Chessington World of Adventures is a great first job. It teaches you a lot of lessons and life skills that you can use in the future. There is also room for progression, such as Senior Host, Team Leader, and even management. A lot of training is provided so you're the very best you can be.
Fun environment, fun friendly people and easy to get on with, same with a few of the managers.
It can be very busy some days or really quiet on others. Can be stressful or relaxed and enjoyable.

Should be payed more for what you do especially if you’re a rides host/operator but still decent pay.
very average job and job experience, but what can you expect really. At times the work is hard, with very long hours, but overall there is a good sense of working as part of a team.