Cheshire West and Chester Council

Cheshire West and Chester Council Management reviews

Worked for CWAC for over 20 years - walked away head held high
Education (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire22 January 2020
Do not bother, no support, no help, no work life balance, senior management happy to ignore bullying despite the best that HR could chuck at it. Very large work load, working environment toxic, whole department moved offices 4 time within the same year in the same building.
Pros
well paid
Cons
everything else
Adult Social Care
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire8 January 2020
Have worked for CWAC for many years, lots of changes & cuts more recently. No career progression opportunities, office facilities are run down, management is not consistent and some don’t appear to have much experience or training
Pros
Contractual benefits, flexible working
Cons
Lack of career progression opportunities
Challenging workplace
Strategic Commissioner (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire9 April 2019
Recent changes has made this a difficult workplace
5 Managers in 3 years
Constant change in direction and leadership creates challenges
Great team who are experienced and skilled
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Too many changes lack of leadership
Comms and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire2 May 2018
Great team and friendly members of staff. Great place to work and very professional.
I have learned that I need to prioritise tasks. The management team are great under pressure, great at handling issues in the work place and great to talk to.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working as team and learning things.
Stable employer
IT (Former Employee) –  Cheshire6 November 2017
The best part of the job was meeting new customers.
The managers were too busy and always changing the rules.
The offices were run down and the computers were slow and out of date.
The hours were flexible and pay average.
Cons
Terrible old fashioned and run down office accommodation and old computers
Hard working environment.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Winsford, Cheshire25 September 2017
In a typical day I would complete home visits, complete assessments and direct work with children. Love working with children and their families in their homes or schools. I worked in a very busy child in need team with amazing members of staff. Work life balance was challenge and sometimes the pressure and expectations put on newly qualified staff was unrealistic and unfair.
Pros
Working with children and families.
Cons
Management attitudes towards newly qualified staff.
Fun place to work
SQL Server Consultant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire8 September 2017
Working on incidents

Planning projects, meetings etc

Management were great

Hardest part was finding parking, but once I found the local car park getting in was fine

Learning new tech was cool
Well rewarded for hard work
Civil Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  town hall14 February 2017
Worked via agency for council. Well treated, well paid, good management. Would happily work for them again. Was made to feel welcome by staff and management.
Pros
Excellent pay structure
Cons
90 mile a day commute, but worth it.
Negative Work Life Balance
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Cheshire11 February 2017
Pros
Lots of training opportunities . Great atmosphere and lifelong friendships can be made in the course of one' s employment here. Supportive middle management and caring colleagues.

Cons
Long hours. Listen more to staff issues. Most people take the jobs in care sector because of their love for helping but this can get forgotten if staff are given too much onerous clerical work to complete.
Pros
Positive Training
Cons
Long Unpaid Hours
Helper
HELPER (Former Employee) –  Northwich, Cheshire23 December 2016
Worked here for some experience and I thoroughly enjoyed working here. I worked at the Old Fire Station, which is a day centre for people with special needs. The typical day began at 9am which is a very reasonable time to start, the co-workers and the boss would convene in the side room where we'd be allocated a group of attendees and an activity to do, this could include going on shopping trips, going to leisure centres or for a birthday treat go to Chester for a boat ride. The management was very good, everyone knew what they were doing and it was a well oiled machine. Cannot think of any Cons or what the hardest part of the job was, as it was quite simply well organised.
Pros
Travel Costs were subsidised by the council
Flexible place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winsford2 January 2014
The hardest part of this job is having to deal with difficult customers, however, the management team are extremely suportive.

I particularly enjoyed ebing able to help other people and work within a team.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Career progression
Friendly and supportive staff.
Key Worker (Former Employee) –  Chester, ENG16 September 2013
A typical day at work often meant meeting a diverse range of customers with queries and needs. These may include housing issues, requests for services such as debt advice or information regarding literacy and numeracy refresher courses. All customers would be documented so I would use the internal database to record information.
I learnt to type more quickly! Also minute taking skills which involved how to identify main issues, those that were 'actioned' and needed following up with further information collected at a later date. Setting up mailing lists and how to merge mail. Using the photocopier remotely from the computer whereby addresses for groups and individuals could be accessed.
Management were approachable, interested, friendly and generally supportive
My co-workers also fit this description.
The hardest part of the job was seeing customers whose needs were complex and situations very difficult. Support for such folk often meant empathising to a degree that sometimes took alot of emotional energy on my part.
Being able to support people both practically and emotionally, and for it to have had a positive impact on their lives.
Pros
Flexi Time.
Cons
Heavy work load and long hours.
Excellent Pension
Marketing Officer (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, ENG10 June 2013
The role I was in I was pretty much left to my own work. I knew I had the support of my line manager if I required their input. My co-worked were always on hand to offer support should the need arise, the hardest part of the job was trying to get management to understand what we were trying to achieve, but once it was understood, its was a green for go. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and supporting other sevices, but also the community.
Pros
Flexi time 25 days leave
Great company to work for
Grosvenor Park Park Attendent (Former Employee) –  Chester Grosvenor Park18 September 2012
Day would start 10.00am & finish at 18.00pm.
Duties included litter picking,dealing with general public,lawn mowing,hedge cutting.strimming & leaf blowing.
The management were easy to get along with and were there when ever you had any work/personal problems.