Cheshire Constabulary

Cheshire Constabulary Employee Reviews

United Kingdom29 reviews
Good employer
Worked for Cheshire police until I retired ,great team to work for under difficult circumstances ,you will be working with dedicated staff who all work together to achieve your aims . We bjiyable most of the time and very difficult some of the time
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Working with the undesirable people of Cheshire
Management 👎
They say they care. They ‘big up’ on caring about staff but it’s a load of rubbish. I’ve never been so unhappy in a place of work. No one cares about anybody but the small cliques that they’re in. Staff morale is very low. I left because I couldn’t stand the depressive state. If you’re in a ‘top role’, everything will seem fine but if you’re working under that role then you see how miserable staff are.
Example
Example - I have chosen not to complete a review of any previous employers and I have written in this space as it would appear to be the only means of moving through the system
Good company to work for with great training and career opportunities
Enjoyed working for them with a great team ethic in place, great facilities and clean environment. Excellent training programme and the correct tools to do the job.
Varied role from delivering post and case files and completed orders to all Police Stations within Cheshire.
Department and people are great
Staff and officers have a very hard time at the moment with budget cuts and the usual public sector challenges. there has been a change in board level management in the last year which has caused a lot of uncertainty and change.
Worked as a special constable
I worked at Cheshire constabulary as a special constable for a year. From what I experienced the work/life balance was good but I was working voluntary therefore could be different if a paid employee.
Good people with Integrity working for the good of the community. Let down by budget constraints.
Work/life balance is generally very good, with flexi time being a bonus. Budget constraints and a lack of desire to develop and promote internally are a major downfall.
Great staff. Many senior officers fall short
I loved being a Police Officer but the job is now controlled by PC self serving senior officers who know little about investigation and everything about modern trendy management.
Pros
Exciting work
Cons
Poor senior management
Not for the faint hearted
Working within a very busy office, there is no such thing as a typical day all are varied and sometimes challenging.
There is a great feeling of teamwork, everyone looks out for each other and will always offer help if needed.

Most enjoyable aspect of the job is successfully convicting or acquitting offenders
Pros
Shift work
challenging and rewarding
its a very varied day, you could literally be doing anything. you'll deal with a lot of domestic incidents and they'll take up the majority of your time. Training needs to be better especially when it comes to using the systems. the best part of the job has to be getting a good result for a victim. You'll deal with a lot of mental health incidents too and you'll see how stretched the NHS is.
Pros
good team
A great leveller!
Cheshire Police are a great employer & like many police forces the only person stopping you achieving your potential is you!

Its there for the taking! I'm sad to leave but other doors will hopefully open soon, with the skills I've learned from being a police officer I'm sure I can be an asset to any organisation.
Pros
Job security
Fun place to work
Something different each day, keeps you on your toes. Lots of opportunities to progress further into the company. Different range of extra courses to.
Great people
Great people, great place to work.
Free car parking and easy to get to.

Staff restaurant is expensive but the food is good and the staff are friendly.
No longer a job for life for Police Staff
Due to years of austerity the Police Staff support role is no longer secure with Police Staff being made redundant or being re-deployed. Despite being given permanent contracts most Police Staff feel they are only on fixed term contracts. Sadly too most of the roles are based at HQ Winsford making it difficult if you live in Warrington or Halton.
Pros
Agile Working. Flexible Working. Shift Allowances
Cons
Most roles are at HQ Winsford. Austerity Measures.
Every day is different!!
Working for the police service is different everyday no two days are the same.
You will work on a shift pattern basis working days and late shifts.

Some days you will be working as a team and other days you will work on your own.

It can be sad, it can be happy and lots of fun.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Can be long hours
Challenging and rewarding work environment
An excellent company to work for. Excellent salary and benefits and an employer who cares about the welfare of its staff.

The shift work can be challenging and anti social, but the work satisfaction can be second to non.

this job is not for the fainthearted and requires a great deal of patience and understanding of the behaviour of others.
Pros
good pension
Cons
long hours difficult work
an excellent Career
Going to work each day and never knowing what was about to happen was brilliant.
Working with and knowing you could rely on your fellow officers 100%

I have dealt with a hippy convoy who blocked the M6 motorway and Sheep who decided to walk the motorway at night on an unlit stretch.

There was no typical day until I took the role of School Liaison and then my days were spent in school talking about Internet safety, Drugs misuse and antisocial behaviour.

The job was hard at times and entailed long hours.
Pros
Great colleagues and team work
Cons
anti social working hours working 3 weekends out of 4 and having leave cancelled at short notice .
Interesting work life
My normal day would be checking and prioritising emails, selecting service requests and sending them to the relevant work area, chasing references and dealing with enquires via telephone calls.

l have learnt the process of recruitment and learning and development.

The management are really supportive and approachable and listen and take on board ideas and problems.

My co workers are a really good team wih a variety of experience's and also fun to work with.

The hardest part of the job is trying to chase the references.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the person you have assisted in applying for the job receive their start date.
Pros
great canteen
Cons
no cons
Fewer resources than ever
Thanks to Thersea May moral is at its lowest ever. Police stations left unmanned a MAXIMUM of a 1% pay rise for the next three years people are leaving by the drones, even joining the armed forces which in my 24 years service is unheard of.
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
long hours, no paid overtime, slowly becoming poorly paid. Forever getting slagged of in the news.
Rewarding job
Working as a community police officer enabled me to learn valuable skills in working with young people. When I was seconded to a multi agency team I had to manage my own work load with minimal supervision and work with staff from other agencies. Every new case was different and challenged me to produce a positive outcome for all involved, offender and victim. The reward of the job is later on when you here that the young person has achieved a positive outcome , ie full time employment, when at the time of working with them this would not have seemed possible. The hardest part of this work was the young person being negative all the time but continuing to work with them because I believe every can achieve a positive outcome
Pros
New challanges every day
First Point of Contact for people who are in desperate need of help.
A typical day at work involves myself being a capable and proven Police Communications Operator who is the first point of contact for people who are in desperate need of help.

I have learnt numerous skills from working in this environment including, leadership skills, ability to mentor, that i am able to make key decisions in a stressful environment and i have a strong desire to help others.

My colleagues at work are incredible. The environment i work in is highly stressful but we keep each other going through tough times.

The hardest part of my job is having to deal with conflicting situations effectively.

The most enjoyable part of my job is answering customer front line calls and making them feel comfortable when they are in need of help.
Pros
colleagues, customer service, job security
Cons
long hours, shifts, pay
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cheshire Constabulary. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2