Cherry Lane Garden Centre

Cherry Lane Garden Centre Employee Reviews

United Kingdom24 reviews
Working in Cherry Lane was a good first experience of employment. However, I was paid minimum wage and as the weather began to grow hotter, it was almost unbearable working in the store due to it having a glass roof.
Despite this, or perhaps because of it, the staff were all very friendly and the managers were not too demanding when the heat was tough.
A typical day at work at Cherry Lane Garden Centre includes tidying shop floor, stock management and working at checkout on the tills. I gained till experience and communication skills. I became more confident and feel I gave good customer service. Everyone worked together to help each other out and nobody was made to feel left out or uncomfortable. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the fast pace whilst maintaining a high standard of customer service. I enjoyed working with the other team members and meeting new people.
I enjoyed working at Cherry Lane I was only a temp. I tried to apply to be perm never heard anything .Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful
Nice environment and people however pay could have been better. Very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer could sometimes be uncomfortable to work in.
The particular job role fitted in with my personal life. But this company have very poor management skills in all areas. Poor working conditions. Poorly paid. Only benefit on top of your wage were the low discount you receive. Starting at 10% increasing to 20% after years of service. But that is even capped.
shift briefing and always managers support. staff always friendly and was a very pleasant work environment to be in. A typical day would involve different task so was never boring.
Would get busy between 1-3pm in summer. Older staff were rude to new younger staff and didn't have the patience to help them learn.
Learnt alot about merchandising, organising stock etc.

Not the most fulfilling job as when it is not busy there is not much to do.
Little job security, was almost made redundant to make way for someone who could support more hours, was not offered the option to increase my hours until my supervisor discovered the plan and fought to keep me.
Management had almost no interest in listening to important issues.

No training offered for my "specialist" position, had to do all research in my own time. Till training involved 2 minutes of showing you where the buttons where and that was it. You were then serving customers straight away.

Did not have enough staff for the store, would constantly take staff members away from their location to work somewhere else leaving others to pick up additional work.

Staff discount is useful and increases in value with how long you work there.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Nice colleagues and good customer relationships. Roles were often mixed up and switched about so you would not always do the same thing. Management assistance when required could be improved.
My shifts were constantly changing and if I came in anything except early I was told I was late (which was false). My superior was not the most friendly.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cherry Lane Garden Centre?
very good lay out of shop
staff are very friendly and helpful

staff get on well have a good laugh

the cafe is very nice food is very nice

i would give 10 out of 10
Pros
fun staff
Cons
good hours
This was a good environment to work in with great flexibility to make alterations to the store.
It was not particularly easy to progress within this company.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
low rate of pay
Good way to build up confidence talking to a variety of different people each day with a good team to work around.
Main duties include dealing with customers and stock replenishment.

Management were very encouraging and helpful.

Opportunities to help with displays and new layouts for the store especially at seasonal times of the year.

Always on your feet but with breaks in between.
Very friendly and relaxed environment to work in.
Very flexible and understanding with personal circumstances regarding working hours and family issues.
Cons
Very physical
Overall poor working environment. Poor managerial skills. No leadership, no demos on how things worked. Poor wage. Typical day was facing up products and being on tills all day. I learned how to use a till and how to help customers. Management was terrible. Hardest part of the job was being there. Most enjoyable part was a tip I received from a customer.
Pros
Got paid
Cons
Not paid enough
Dealing with the general public and meeting their needs is a typical working day. I feel I have learnt more about myself and my capabilities when communicating with other people.
I enjoy interacting with other members of staff and completing the tasks that in hand.
Pros
Staff discount.
Cons
Working every weekend
A fun position to take up. Easy going yet professional work life. Great characters to be around. Good salary. Opportunity to always be outdoor, come rain or shine.
The job itself is absolutely perfect, the company just expect too much and are not prepared to reward their staff accordingly for their hard work and dedication.
Cons
Typical day would involve serving customers on the till, taking out food orders, making drinks, general cleaning and washing lots of pots. Hardest part was if we were short staffed as it is a very busy Cafe, best parts chatting to customers, making sure they were happy with everything.
Cons
Not very accommodating with part time hours
loved working at the garden centre
was lovely with all the staff

staff where polite and help me when i was learning

people where happy to help

all management was great
Pros
Everything was great
Cons
nothing
Very nice place to work, challenging and rewarding, ideal for first time workers. brilliant co-workers and brilliant management.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
short hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cherry Lane Garden Centre. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7