Chelmsford City Council Employee Reviews

A well oiled machine
Swimming Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford17 September 2018
A typical day at work was always predictably well structured and we ran into very little problems during shifts. With a zero hour contract I loved the job since I could work flexibly around my studies.

The managers and staff at the leisure center are friendly and welcoming, not once was i made to feel like an outsider. The workplace culture is relaxed and comfortable.
Pros
zero hour contract, free access to all facilities
Cons
sometimes struggle to get a shift, shifts can be short
A satisfying and varied position
Car Park Attendant ( Adminisrative Officer) (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford City Centre, Essex29 March 2018
Serving Customers
Servicing the machines in the car park
Operating a new computer system
Providing security to users of the car park
Handling monies
Pros
Time went quickly as I was always busy
Cons
Working unsociable hours
A very rewarding and pleasurabale place to work
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Hylands Park9 February 2017
I enjoyed working as a volunteer at Hylands Park, helping out with the upkeep and planting of the gardens, helping the others that volunteered to work as part of a team as well as on my own. I enjoyed the experience of working with others and the rewards in months to come of the beautiful flowers that come with the seasons that I helped plant, the rewards of knowing that I was a part of that. I would very much like to work in that environment, as I enjoy working outside and being a team member.
Pros
working as part of a team
Cons
not having enough days to work
Ok
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Csac19 January 2017
Not great. No appreciation or positive feedback

Great customer care by front of house.
Management is not good st looking after their staff.

😂 Ah well
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Boring
Dedicated individuals, great team working, friendly but professional
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Civic Centre, Chelmsford8 August 2016
Worked within a great team with effective and hard-working colleagues.
Good communication across the Council.
Work inputs appreciated at all levels.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Limited progression in some areas
A well oiled machine
Deputy Parking Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford City13 August 2015
Typical days included varied administrative work alongside project management and inter-departmental liaison.
I learnt new administrative skills, how to organise varied sites and staff and how to work effectively with contractors and other companies.
The management team was well organised, open to fresh opinions and willing to see changes pushed through.
My co-workers were in various roles but all adapted well to them
The hardest part of the job was adapting to longer hours when required.
The most enjoyable part was seeing projects move from germination through to a completed end product.
Varied work experience
Service Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Civic Centre, Chelmsford6 October 2014
It's difficult to describe my overall experience as the job has changed over the years. That's not unexpected in an IT job but the increasing automation of work done in the IT area in such places as data preparation and processing and disaster recovery means that much of the work I once did is simply no longer there. The staff and management have also changed and though they are supportive even now, the pressure of government budgetary controls is making the task of keeping up to date rather difficult.

I originally started as a kind of shift worker, moving between user support and operations (this was long before the whole idea of "DevOps" became popular) which meant that I had to be up to date in many tasks and, eventually, I became one of the people providing key support for the operational side of IT. In those days it was considered normal to provide training for users and even now this can happen though it tends to be sporadic depending on what part of the job is affected.

In all I enjoyed my time here and it is a wrench for me to leave at this time but I can see that things are liable to get much worse before it gets any better. Such are the problems of life in the public service workplace.
Pros
Excellent pension scheme
Cons
Office politics
Too much political interference
PA to Director of Leisure & Cultural Services (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford20 May 2014
Overall most of the employees are very committed & loyal although moral is at an all time low since the continuing cut in government funding to local government is impacting on our services & there is no job security.
Management is constantly hampered in what they would like to do by political decision making which has more to do with winning elections than sound commerical decisions
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Political intervention