Chelmsford City Council

Chelmsford City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
Working for the council
Working for the council is rewarding in many ways, meeting new people, being well treated and getting well paid.
All the staff who work for the council are helpful and kind.
Very good
I would recommend this place lovely place to work you get put on all kinds of courses and training and there is always people to help you out if you need help
Job description
I love this job and trust me when they picked the bloke over me even though he was loaded I was the driver hard worker your loss Christmas spirit on being a HGV driver in a man's world
Very busy ,but good place to work
as a cleaner multiple places It was very hard work but the people were fantastic .
great people within the offices

Great for meeting new people from all walks of life .great place too be .
supervisors don't supervisor
supervisors don't do they job , they have their favourites , who can do no wrong and don't care about the rest of the workers.
Favourites always seem to leave everyone else to clean up so they can go home early.
Intersting job
The cremation of the deceased. Setting up chapels, doing ash internments. Covering office when required
Working weekends and bank holidays

Hardest part of the job, seeing young people at their friends funeral.

But you do get some thanks from people who you have helped
good company to work for
Enjoyed working there, staff and management very good support, flexable hours which helps with home and work balance. Pay ok but there is room to improve
Excellent management
I greatly enjoyed my time working at Chelmsford city council as a play worker. It developed me as a person turning me into a well rounded person. Management were always there when you needed them.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Chelmsford City Council?
Toxic culture
Although I am grateful for the opportunity to work at this gorgeous venue, I found the culture of blame and lack of support very disappointing. I held a position of responsibility and leadership which developed me as a person, allowed me to acquire new skills and also taught me the real value of teamwork. Unfortunately, most of these skills were used to "firefight" problems occurring shift after shift with no real change evident despite raising issues with senior managers. Laissez-faire attitude of managers embarrassing and very unhelpful. There is no respect for the front of house staff and no appreciation of the huge effort they put in to deliver an event to a high standard. Complete disregard for fair treatment of staff including sexism, inadequate training, lack of protocol, and no opportunity for your voice to be heard in positive environment. Not entirely surprising the rate of employee turnover is very high but no interest in the reasons for resignation.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the gratitude from the guests, select FOH staff who work very hard to support the Duty Manager, opportunity to experience cultural practices at a diversity of weddings and meet some wonderful people.
LOVE my job!
I work at the Ice Rink with Chelmsford City Council and I really do love it. They are flexible and understanding and I love what I do - that definitely always helps.
Pros
Skating sessions and hosting parties.
Cons
Sometimes there aren't many hours going - especially in summer.
A well oiled machine
A typical day at work was always predictably well structured and we ran into very little problems during shifts. With a zero hour contract I loved the job since I could work flexibly around my studies.

The managers and staff at the leisure center are friendly and welcoming, not once was i made to feel like an outsider. The workplace culture is relaxed and comfortable.
Pros
zero hour contract, free access to all facilities
Cons
sometimes struggle to get a shift, shifts can be short
A good place to learn local politics and media engagement
Long hours, politically challenging but a rewarding job, requiring strategic skills and enhanced media engagement focus. Enjoyed culture change opportunities.
Pros
Strategic opportunities
Cons
A satisfying and varied position
Serving Customers
Servicing the machines in the car park

Operating a new computer system

Providing security to users of the car park

Handling monies
Pros
Time went quickly as I was always busy
Cons
Working unsociable hours
A very rewarding and pleasurabale place to work
I enjoyed working as a volunteer at Hylands Park, helping out with the upkeep and planting of the gardens, helping the others that volunteered to work as part of a team as well as on my own. I enjoyed the experience of working with others and the rewards in months to come of the beautiful flowers that come with the seasons that I helped plant, the rewards of knowing that I was a part of that. I would very much like to work in that environment, as I enjoy working outside and being a team member.
Pros
working as part of a team
Cons
not having enough days to work
Ok
Not great. No appreciation or positive feedback

Great customer care by front of house.

Management is not good st looking after their staff.

😂 Ah well
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Boring
Dedicated individuals, great team working, friendly but professional
Worked within a great team with effective and hard-working colleagues.
Good communication across the Council.

Work inputs appreciated at all levels.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Limited progression in some areas
A well oiled machine
Typical days included varied administrative work alongside project management and inter-departmental liaison.
I learnt new administrative skills, how to organise varied sites and staff and how to work effectively with contractors and other companies.

The management team was well organised, open to fresh opinions and willing to see changes pushed through.

My co-workers were in various roles but all adapted well to them

The hardest part of the job was adapting to longer hours when required.

The most enjoyable part was seeing projects move from germination through to a completed end product.
Varied work experience
It's difficult to describe my overall experience as the job has changed over the years. That's not unexpected in an IT job but the increasing automation of work done in the IT area in such places as data preparation and processing and disaster recovery means that much of the work I once did is simply no longer there. The staff and management have also changed and though they are supportive even now, the pressure of government budgetary controls is making the task of keeping up to date rather difficult.

I originally started as a kind of shift worker, moving between user support and operations (this was long before the whole idea of "DevOps" became popular) which meant that I had to be up to date in many tasks and, eventually, I became one of the people providing key support for the operational side of IT. In those days it was considered normal to provide training for users and even now this can happen though it tends to be sporadic depending on what part of the job is affected.

In all I enjoyed my time here and it is a wrench for me to leave at this time but I can see that things are liable to get much worse before it gets any better. Such are the problems of life in the public service workplace.
Pros
Excellent pension scheme
Cons
Office politics
Too much political interference
Overall most of the employees are very committed & loyal although moral is at an all time low since the continuing cut in government funding to local government is impacting on our services & there is no job security.
Management is constantly hampered in what they would like to do by political decision making which has more to do with winning elections than sound commerical decisions
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Political intervention