Checkatrade
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Checkatrade Employee Reviews

State of the art call centre is fab to work in. Work in teams/Depts. Lots of stress and overworked (always in meetings)managers. Always looking to care for their staff.
Pros
fun call centre
Cons
managers always in meetings
2 July 2020
Thanks for your review - we're glad you liked our state-of-the-art offices at Lakeside in Portsmouth, and as one of our values is People Matter, we're glad to see that you say we are always looking to care for our staff. We're sorry to hear that you found it stressful as your wellbeing and workplace safety is our absolute priority. We wish you all the best in the next step of your career.
They lead you in thinking they care but in reality they don't.Procedures constantly changing week to week and only get told in a vague email."Mental health first aiders" would say you are being negative.Managers who ignore you when you are struggling as they don't want to deal with you- ECWhen technical issues when working from home, they would accuse you of lying, evening after sending proof and making you take it unpaidThey deny your holiday requests left right and centre, even missed a funeral
Pros
FAB and Free coffee
Cons
Everything else
Honestly the worst company I have worked for. Will pretend you are doing great and behind your back are slagging you off behind your back. Looking for a reason to get you out no matter even if they have done something wrong. I wouldn’t even go for the interview, management do not know how to manage staff and your mental health will take a massive turn. 7 people left in the space of 5 month including me due to the fact they do not support you and will hide stuff from you instead of telling you. HR will always defend management even when they have done data protection breaches yet would get rid of you if you don’t to GDPR. The fact that they prevent at the interview that they care about people is a lie. For your mental health do not work here it will destroy you.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Good old checkatrade give you the big jazz hands at your interview. But after a while you realise that everyone is so fake, they will change overnight towards their staff, pay them minimal for what we had to put up with. Constantly being abused from traders and when you would escalate it to a manager they would fob off the work back onto you. Also they preach mental health but when it comes to it they couldn’t care less
Pros
Nice offices
Cons
Bad pay, fake people, lack of support
12 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. People Matter most at Checkatrade. We can confirm that our pay is benchmarked and that our Managers are supportive when issues are escalated to them, to help our staff find suitable solutions. We take Mental Health very seriously at Checkatrade. We have 16 trained staff who are Mental Health First Aiders, we have a mental health hub and we have an Employee Assistance Programme and Babylon Health service for people to access whenever they need it. We wish you well in the next step of your career.
Very clicky false and pretend they like you but show true colours when giving you the heave ho. No empathy and nasty . Will zap all your confidence and change overnight
12 August 2020
Thanks for leaving us a review. We're sorry to hear that you don't think we are a good place to work. Our recent employee engagement survey had our best response rate ever, and the vast majority of our staff feel happy and supported within their roles. We wish you all the best in your next role.
Checkatrade is a great place to work if you are looking to up your game and start a career. Lots of benefits once you've passed your probation. Management and staff stay with the business and very passionate about their staff's wellbeing.
12 August 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review. We're glad that you love our unique benefits as much as we do - there's so much for staff to use and get involved with. It's great to see that you understand how passionate we are about wellbeing too - it's one of the most important things to us and is reflected in one of our core values - People Matter. We hope you are enjoying your new role and wish you all the best for the future.
I joined Checkatrade 3.5 years ago after working 19 years for my previous employer, and it was the best move I made. It's a privilege to work for a company where 'people matter' isn't just a statement, but a reality. We have a fantastic benefits package, which is continuously evolving. The business is growing at a fast pace, which means only one thing for employees here - opportunity to develop and grow ourselves. This is encouraged through internal training and development. Success is celebrated every quarter at whole-of-company meetings. We are soon to all be located in our 'out-of-this-world' office space at Lakeside which will ensure even more collaboration across departments. It's a fun and exciting place to be - and it's only going to get better.
12 August 2020
Thank you so much for leaving us such a lovely review. You're absolutely right - our fast pace offers an incredible opportunity for people to grow and develop with us. Recognition is really important at Checkatrade, which is why we recognise and reward employees every quarter at our Company Briefings, and all throughout the year too. It's great to see that you love our office as much as we do!
The company was started from a good place and has a good purpose. It is customer focused and innovation plays a key role for the future.It is an exciting place to work.
12 August 2020
Thanks for your review - we particularly love your headline about great values being at our core. We're proud of our purpose as much as you are - making home repairs and improvements easy for everyone. Innovation is at the heart of our growth and transformation and we're proud to see that you think we are an exciting place to work. We hope all is going well in your current role.
Checkatrade is a good company to work for, very fast paced work, a lot of phone usage. The people it's very friendly and supportive, no very much training though. The pay rate wasn't very good but that might be because I work with them trough a recruitment agency.
12 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We pride ourselves on being friendly and supportive, and we offer extensive training for all our staff. Our pay rates are benchmarked too. We're glad that you see us as a good company to work for. We hope you are doing well in your current role.
During my time at Checkatrade I have grown and developed both professionally and personally. After 20 years the company still has so much potential, and we are constantly striving to realise it. For me, its important to work somewhere where people care about each other, and you are recognised and appreciated for what you do. This is why I have been here for over 6 years. During that time I have looked forward to going to work each morning and feel grateful to be in a role where I am trusted and empowered to do what's right every day. As we grow, there may be a few bumps in the road, but we'll ride over them together, learning as we go. Checkatrade is my home and I'm proud to work here with amazing colleagues every day.
12 August 2020
Thank you for leaving us such a lovely review. It's great to see that you think of Checkatrade as your home!
Choosing to take a role at Checkatrade was one of the best career decisions I've ever made. It's a creative, collaborative place to be and they take good care of you. From free breakfast in the morning to a frothy coffee when you need a fix - it's fantastic. The amazing new facilities at Lakeside in Portsmouth are unrivalled - it's such a cool and calm working environment (no need to make the commute to London), and although everyone is busy - the place is buzzing. The Leadership Team and Management are some of the most engaged I've ever worked with and they genuinely care about everyone as an individual. There's some amazing health and wellbeing benefits too, and we get a week's charity leave every year on top of our annual leave! The best bit? I'm not just trusted to deliver, I'm empowered to do my job, and that is the greatest feeling. I come to work because I want to, not because I have to. Training and development is also amazing, and although the company has big targets and big ambitions, there's big investment to help make these things happen - investment in process, technology and most of all people. People matter here, and they matter the most. It really is a great place to work.
Pros
Engaged leadership, excellent culture, great benefits
Cons
Genuinely can't think of any!
12 August 2020
Wow - what a lovely review. Thank you for taking the time to tell us and the wider world what you really think and feel about working here. We're proud to see that you believe we are a great place to work.
Was a family run feeling business but it’s now just a money making machine that is running out of control. Have seen staff breaking down and crying due to lack of training and lack of support. Managers walk around but also haven’t been trained and only promoted to management because they have worked there a while and the company has grown too quickly.
Pros
Nice hours
Cons
Bad management and no family feel anymore
Unfortunately, management have gone down the pan. What used to be a wonderful, family work environment with an award winning culture has turned into a bland, amorphous company, indistinguishable from any other. Management do not know a thing about how to sell their product and resort to the usual sales techniques. Their staff training is a joke and revolves around some hippy 'visualization' techniques and laughable 'black hat' training. Stay clear. Stay VERY, VERY clear.
12 August 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, but we're sorry to hear that you think the culture at Checkatrade has not changed for the better. Our staff training is extensive and bespoke to individual roles and responsibilities and our Leadership Team are leading the way in terms of product innovation. We hope you are happier in your current role and wish you all the best for the future.
enjoyed my time working at checktrade,each day is different and will be said to see it close.sales isn't an easy job but can be very rewarding with the right attitude
12 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review - and we're glad to see that you think we're a productive and fun place to work. We haven't closed, we now have offices in Lakeside in Portsmouth and in London at Kings Cross, and we also have a number of Field Sales roles located across the UK. We're glad you found your role with us rewarding and wish you all the best for the future.
This was an OK place to work - I was here as a temp and found the workplace an acceptable environment and the staff friendly. I was not here long enough to really make a judgment
12 August 2020
Thanks for your review - we really appreciate the work you delivered for us whilst you were a temp. Our staff are incredibly friendly as you say. We hope you are doing well in the role that you are now in.
Meeting clients who have signed up to membership, present features, benefits and additional products. Make sure client complies with membership criteria. Work alone managing own diary and travel time.
Pros
Company cars, health benefits
Cons
Lone working consistently
12 August 2020
Many thanks for leaving us a review. It's great to see that you appreciate the health benefits. W
12 August 2020
Many thanks for taking the time to review us. We're pleased to see that you appreciate our health benefits. The Field Sales role does include a lot of managing your own diary and travel time, and we're glad that you found us busy and evolving. We hope you are doing well in your current role.
Advising traders on how to maximise their work loads by using their online membership correctly to attract pot entail clients. Checking insurance and accreditation details.
Pros
Regular staff events.
Cons
Parking can be a nightmare.
12 August 2020
Many thanks for leaving us a review - we're pleased to see that you enjoyed our staff events and thought that we were a fun workplace. There's now a great deal of parking at our HQ in Lakeside, Portsmouth, and all staff have access to parking as and when they need it. We hope your current role is going well.
Many changes in this company as grew very quickly - management a bit poor two many Indians and not enough chiefs that sort of thing. Very Christian and monthly briefs were like being at Sunday school all over again. However, positive environment.
Pros
personal trainer
12 August 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review. Our Company Briefings are now quarterly and are focused on key business updates, and recognition of our staff. We're glad that you saw us as a positive environment and hope you are doing well in your current role.