CHARTWELL TRUST CARE Employee Reviews

Poor management
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Syston, Leicestershire3 January 2020
At first it was a lovely place to work and then they took on a team leader who was very nice at first and then it became clear that she was friends with the head of operations and then a new manager started who she is also friends with. And then a position got made up for her as head tem leader and then it all starts to go wrong . If this team leader takes a disliking to you then you are either moved to another home or your work life becomes awful and she tells staff members things about about other staff members that should be confidential. Good luck if you work in the syston home if she doesn't like you .
Pros
Service users
Disheartening
Support Worker/Carer (Former Employee) –  Ilford21 November 2019
Not worth your time or effort. People are rude from management to staff, towards each other. Constant bickering and arguing. I would not recommend to anyone. Always a issue with management and people leaving after a short period of working there.
Best place I’ve worked sofar!
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire15 October 2019
The positive attributes and impact this company has made to its town and community is commendable, the directors and managers inspire the staff to do better and grow. Genuinely feels like a close knit team who care for one another.

Carers are really valued and supported 24/7 with ongoing support in pursuing additional qualifications: Care Certificates, Diplomas for Care Workers and beyond, condition specific courses Promotion from within Senior management hands on and very approachable Unique company culture in the sector.
TL/manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester15 October 2019
I have been working around Chartwell Care Homes for years and I can say the homes have their own potential. I have seen lots of positive and negative criticism that have been made across the board, however the company is thriving. Each day is not the same, there are new things to be learned everyday. Service users have great personalities and they make your day successful. Service users are always encouraged to be independent. Team work is great. A typical day is allocation of duties, administration of medication, organizing day trips, supporting service user to college, organizing family reunion, parties.
Plenty of positive good things to mention while working at Chartwell Care:-
*feel valued as a person and get rewards for good work.
*management always listen to your concerns and solve any problems, very supportive
*Head of Operation is very supportive and fair
*Service users are encouraged to take part in recruitment as this is really important for them to have their say as at the end of the day, it is their home and we need the people with skills and who can understand their complex needs.
*when there is party in the homes, staff from Head Office also attend which gives service users the feelings of valued and cherished.
Professionals are always available for advice.
Staff have regular supervision and appraisal, bespoke training to ensure service users' needs are met.
Taking service users on holiday.
Across Chartwell Care there is a diverse team, opportunities for progression from support worker to Team leader, Deputy Manager, Manager.
Pros
recognition for Hard work, working with service users
Cons
unnecessary items
Excellent training and induction
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  narborough road, leicester15 October 2019
I recently started working for Chartwell Trust after working for several years within the care sector. I have had a string of bad experiences of poor management and training but these guys were great. The recruitment guy was very friendly and helpful and when i went to the home to do a meetngreet, i found the manager and team leaders to be helpful and friendly. I felt that the team who were working were happy to be there and were planning to take the residents out on a day trip to skegness that day in the car. My induction was thorough as they went through the policies and procedures of the company. The company made sure i was inducted and i received training in safeguarding and breakaway, which was interesting because i only ever did breakaway as part of PBS before and i have never had safeguarding in a classroom in any other company. I also did autism training which was done through the national autistic society. So far work is good. Sometimes quite hard as i am new to challenging behaviour. But i really like working as part of the team, and they all seem very knowledgeable.
Pros
good teamwork, friendly and welcoming atmosphere
Cons
not many, hard to support challenging behaviour sometimes
supportive, pro-active place to work.
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barclay Street15 October 2019
I have been with Chartwell for a few years now, during my time within the company I have progressed from support worker to team leader and now in to management, during my progression I have received some in-depth, constructive training which has helped me gain understanding and knowledge of all aspect of care required within the service. there will always be disgruntled staff members that may of left the company, but this is due to Disciplinary's, Neglect to complete their duties or sickness and not any doing of the company, I would recommended the company due to the fantastic levels of support you receive from senior management, robust training that all staff are enrolled on and the team work within the homes. The service users within the homes are by far the highlight of the working day, to see their progress and independence levels rise is truly amazing and this has only taken place because of the company and their support.
Pros
Training, support from Management and senior managemnet, service users, open and honest staff and management.
Astounding Transformation
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire15 October 2019
Following a difficult period in 2018, Chartwell Trust have taken on board recommendations to improve service delivery and ensure consistency across their services.
The appointment of a highly experienced Head of Operations has been instrumental in setting the scene for moving forward and providing a clear direction in the expectations of care services for people with disabilities and complex needs.
The turnaround of staff morale with core training and training bespoke to the complexity of need we work with along with the diverse outcomes for service users and the home environments has been recognised by stakeholders both health and social care.
There will always be ways to improve on service delivery but with service users engaging more with staff and the goals they are achieving are beyond the expectation of themselves and others, I am increasingly proud to work for Chartwell Trust and be a part of team of managers and employees who share the belief in what we do and how we can achieve some fantastic lifestyle changes for those we work for.
supportive & rewarding place to work
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  supported living15 October 2019
ive worked for this company for 3.5 years, althought things have been unsettled at times, over the last 18 months things have improved massively.
The service users are encouraged to be as independent as possible and supported to achieve their goals, access the community. our service users are amazing individuals and it is a pleasure to work with them. Staff are supported to progress their careers if desired, and offered a good in depth training programme.
Good leadership and progression
Carer/Senior Carer (Current Employee) –  Leicestershire15 October 2019
I have worked within this company for more than a year now. In the time I have worked here i have seen more robust systems put in place and the quality of the services improve immensely.
There is room for progression and movement within the expanding developments that are happening.
Support received from management is outstanding and there is always someone on hand to help should it be needed.

I have a great work/life balance which really helps within this sector of employment.
Great place to work. Full of passion.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leicester15 October 2019
A typical day involves assisting the users with their meals and attending activities in the day. This can be anything from Alton towers, seaside holiday, bowling or just nipping to the local cafe in Syston.

The company rewards hard work. If you want to advance all you have to do is ask and the manager will sit down and create a progress plan with you.

Sometimes our users can get upset. This sometimes means we have to use physical intervention to keep them and others safe. All staff are training in interventions and never left to deal with these challenging issues on your own. The team really do help you loads.
Good opportunities for advancement and personal development
Team Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Syston, Leicestershire25 September 2019
I have been working for Chartwell for quite a long time now. In that time I have been given so much opportunity for development. The company has had many changes in my time and that has sometimes been stressful, however the operations team has always sought to make improvements. Training has made huge improvements to staff ability and knowledge and over all across the homes massive improvement is shown in the standard of care. Two services that recently received bad CQC reports have shown massive improvement and relationships with professionals is really good right now. It is still sometimes a hard place to work, but what job isn't? Over all, I get good job satisfaction and really like working with my colleagues and the service users.
Pros
Recognition of potential of good staff, proactive work and progression of service user needs and development
Cons
pay is sometimes wrong, the system isnt always right
Terrible
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mountsorrel, Leicestershire18 September 2019
Terrible company to work for, constant wrong pay, service users shoved with agency not thought about can’t voice your opinion or you get slagged off! Called in on your weekend and days off to work and cover shifts, complaints or reports not being dealt with last minute shift changes no communication 24/30 hour shifts, lots of safeguarding issues
Pros
Going home
Cons
Everything other then service users
Support worker
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mountsorrel14 September 2019
Bad management. All about the money and not service users, no support for the workers. Feel sorry for the people that have been left behind. Don’t follow the disciplinary procedures properly
Terrible company stay clear
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire22 July 2019
This company is only in it for the money. Service users are bottom of the priority list. Homes are poorly maintained and everything done as cheap as possible. Management have bully their staff and their deputy managers and team leaders to do their dirty work. Risk assessment and care plans are not followed and staff are put at risk on a regular basis. They will employee anyone regardless of skill and experiance with the complex service users they support. Safeguarding issues are swept under the carpet and ignored by management and senior management. The company is a joke, stay well clear.
Pros
Amazing service users
Cons
Everything else
Fun work place and client oriented
Support worker full time (Current Employee) –  Leicester1 May 2019
Highly recommended for anyone who wish to benefit person centred support towards achieving independence. Very friendly and caring staff and good environment for everyone
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
No parking space
Great place with a family atmosphere
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Syston, Leicestershire8 March 2019
have been in my time. As for the job itself well I made it clear that I wished to move up he ladder and try to make a difference and I have achieved both due to my own work ethic and the help of my colleagues. The one thing that has not changed is my passion and motivation to help the guys I support. Yes it can be challenging at times,. But then the job title is support care worker for people with challenging behaviors. But regardless of any behaviours I deal with I dust myself down and move on. You have to remember that the people we support have mental health problems and its nothing personal when incidents inevitably happen. I use the training I have been given and hopefully diffuse the situation before it gets out of control, but if it does then I use my eecr training to restrain the individual and offer verbal reassurance until they are calm. This can be from 30 secs to 10 mins, but the support from other staff is always there and once it's done, it's done. Nothing is dwelled upon and if we didn't do what is required then someone could be hurt seriously.
But this aside the laughs that we have with the guys is the reason I love it. To know that you are actually making a difference to someone's life is a fantastic feeling. It could be that you have just sat and spoke to them for 5 minutes about absolute nonsense or it could be that you've just got back in from a day out to Skegness, the zoo, the cinema to name a few and are literally belly laughing with the guys because they have had a great time.
The job is so much more than cleaning etc... We are support staff not slaves
  more... and the atmosphere is like one of a big family, lots of laughs,a few anxious times, some fallings out and sometimes tears. But at the end of the day we are professional in all we do and truly care for the guys and no grudges are held.
I love it.
Pros
Knowing that you make a difference
Cons
Vans we have, poor
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire7 March 2019
I have been working with Chartwell for almost a year now. I absolutely love our service users and although the job can be sometimes very challenging it is worth it. The Company has gone through few changes, especially management, since I started and have to say it is for better. The Homes have gone through refurbishment and new practices have been put into place. They started to focus on in-house training which is provided more often and if you feel that you are not as confident in certain area, managers will support you and enrol you into specific course. I think you find everywhere some individuals who causing problems within a team, but I am being honest with my manager during supervisions and I do think it will be sorted out soon. I think it is a nice place to work and I love to make a difference in the service users life..
Pros
service users, training, new management
Cons
vans, sometimes challenging
Not the best experience.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire3 February 2019
I have just left Chartwell after working for them for the past 18 months. I have to say that it all got to much for me and I had just about enough.

The biggest problem with working at Chartwell is without a doubt the management. They are unsupportive, belittling to support staff and will not acknowledge that their homes have problems. The managers have a clear locked door policy and do not engage with staff on the floor. And when you try to raise any concerns, your comments fall on deaf ears. There is also a huge blame culture amongst the managers and it’s never their fault. So if a problem occurs, the general response will be, It’s not my fault, speak to a team leader. The managers are very reactive to problems rather than proactive and put across the attitude that support workers are paid to do the dirty work and are not allowed to have opinions or be knowledgeable. There is also a lot of gossiping and backbiting which the managers are usually involved in to some degree.

They only positive to working at Chartwell are the service users. They are all amazing and I loved my shifts with them.

To finish, I would advise anyone to seriously consider other employers before applying to Chartwell. If you need further evidence then look on the CQC website at their recent inspections. https://www.cqc.org.uk/provider/1-811227596

I hope this review helps anyone who may be thinking of working at Chartwell.
Pros
Great support staff, lovely service users
Cons
Poorly managed, poorly maintained homes, low pay, long hours
Good company with plenty of prospects for the right person
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire25 January 2019
I've worked for the company for a couple of years. The business is well run and senior managers are supportive of the staff. There are good prospects for people who have a professional, 'can do' approach to their work. Like many other workplaces these days, they do not tolerate staff who do not follow procedures, who look for excuses not to do the work, or who take too many sick days etc. The organisation provides support to complex service users and this work can be both challenging and rewarding for staff.
Pros
Flexible hours, long term prospects, good training, job satisfaction
Cons
You need to have the right values to work here
poor company
Team Member (Current Employee) –  milligan road leicester14 January 2019
Typical day at milligan work you to the point of no return punish you for illness dont have a clue how to run a business two faced staff patronising non qualified team leaders poor maintainence
poor pay staff lazy affairs galore within company very racist management no breaks but on the positive side the service users are great
Pros
going home
Cons
long hours poor pay no trust

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CHARTWELL TRUST CARE. Our community is ready to answer.

CHARTWELL TRUST CARE Reviews by Location