Charnwood Borough Council

Charnwood Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
my time at charnwood borough council has been a pleasant experience all the staff here are great to work with and easy to talk to the facilites at the work place are great as plenty of toilets and staff drinks rooms available and onsite canteen at very cheap prices
Stressful job, as you deal with angry customers after giving them a PCN. Charnwoodborough council are great to work for, just lil changes need to be made to help support staff and not penalise staff
I have been able to progress at Charnwood Borough Council as they are keen to offer internal staff the opportunity. If you are someone who wants to move up the ranks then CBC can help you do that!
The people are its strength as they are so friendly and welcoming.
Not the worst place to work although literally the people you work with make your time their far more bearable. Salary is one of the lowest in the public sector and there is literally no other benefits, pension is one of the best though. Whilst some management is supportive others in management have big egos and expect admin to do their jobs or cover for them with no extra pay or benefits you're not micro managed though so that's an extra bonus.
Whilst the hours are flexible the work ethos is very dated. An atmosphere of silence resides over the workers as they sit at computers focused on the screen.

Management fail to engage at any social level with the staff and create a humourless desert in the work place.

The worst part is lacking in any form of job related training, unless it's related to company policies and procedures, there is no training.

There seems an endless cycle of demotivating the staff through a poor appraisals process that serves only to satisfy the corporate investors in people status. No actions from PDR's or 1 to 1's ever result in career improvement, salary review or any form of development.

Once you reach the top of you positions pay scale there is no progression, regardless of duties.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor work culture
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working on reception! Dealing with the public all day was great.

Dealing with the public I love.

Service with a smile.
Pros
meeting/ greeting the public on reception
Cons
no cons loved it!
Decent place to work- disorganised management but fun co workers.

Typical public sector enviroment, with bad pay and in need of extra members of staff for the work on offer.
i am very happy working here but due to urgent move i have to find a job closer to rugby. the staff and management are very nice to work alongside. they have been very understanding during personal problems and supporting me the best they can.
The Ark and Oak Business Centres' owned by Charnwood Borough Council were both fantastic places work.
As a key holder and a lone worker my responsibilities were to open the centre everyday including main reception area and all meeting rooms.

This was a face to face customer service role dealing with the general public and tenants who occupy the business units, answering questions, problem solving and managing the daily running, maintenance of the building and reporting back to manager if there were issues only management can solve. It was a fantastic culture. You were left to own devices to get work done.Manager would liaise via telephone or email.

The hardest part of the role was dealing with difficult people especially when came to management issues. Other than that I enjoyed every aspect of my role as everyday was different and I met so many people. I was learning new things every day and how to improve customer services on a personable level.
I did a work experience placement with Charnwood Borough council whilst at college. It was an extremely useful placement which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, I chose to pursue work elsewhere.
Co-workers were great but the managers were poorly behaved and didn't quite know how to manage people fairly and equally. CBC has a heavy work culture of hierarchy and bureaucracy, which in the 21th century isn't really suitable. I have gone through many organisational changes and the job itself wasn't very stable.
Pros
Cons
Not an ideal work place
This is a moderately large Borough Council to the north of Leicester, within Leicestershire - the largest in the County with the exception of the City Council. There was pressure on all managers to reduce costs as much as possible, whilst the expectation was to maintain or even improve service. There was much made of the level of customer service, which was mainly due to dedication of the workforce in spite of management. Whilst it was a generally friendly workplace, there were significant areas where management were not wholly supportive, and on occasion, some were hostile.
Like any organisation at this current time, the pressures are there to produce more than sometimes you can, however, generally many good individual teams of employees.

If you asked them individually if they're happy well ....... who knows
Pros
Good committed workforce
Cons
Too many Councillors (although publicly elected) not in it for the right reasons, hence make officers jobs unnecessarily miserable.
Serving well its rural communities across the midlands. It kept its public finances in a good shape, never over the budget while maintaining its services efficient and effective