Charlie Bigham's Employee Reviews

About the Best Place to Work and Learn
Area Manager/ Flow Leader (Former Employee) –  Mc Nicol Drive London16 August 2019
This is about the best Company to work for. There is a great opportunity for one to Learn, Grow, and Develop a career. I joined the company from a teaching background as an Operative. I thought I will just be there for a few months and go back to Teaching. Behold, I got stuck in a nice way. Nice and helpful Team mates, enough training and best practices. I stayed for 10 solid years moving up the scale from Base Operative, Assistant Team Leader, Team Leader, Assistant Manager and Team Manager Positions. A lot was learnt. Since Leaving Charlie Bighams less than 2 years ago, I have had 2 other jobs and none of them compares with Bighams. And the good thing is that once you tell prospective employers you worked in Charlie Bighams, they pay more attention to you. The name "Charlie Bighams" is more of opportunities door opener. I would not know how staff are being treated in their new Factory in Wells, but we were well looked after in London. My wife still remembers the yearly family Summer Parties.
I will definitely recommend that place as a place fit for working and will gladly go back there at certain stage of my career if what matches my ambition comes up.
Disorder everywhere
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Wells24 July 2019
You can see this disorder everywhere, assembly section is good, culture of work and people are nice, but packing and managment section dont know what happen in company, they have so nice canteen, you can eat really good dinner for nice price.
Pros
Canteen
Cons
Disorder
Production
Team Trainer (Former Employee) –  Wells23 June 2019
I enjoy to work there but the only problem there is the menerger never don't listen and every time don't pay normal money, every month they stop for my payment money and after the make repayments I pay again tax what is not fair
Cons
Long hours less money
Hard work
Am shift (Former Employee) –  Wells2 March 2019
People in the offices get treated like kings and queens weekends off and bank holidays off whilst the kitchen staff get treated like slaves and get spoken to like dogs. Office staff get massive 4 figure bonuses whilst the people downstairs who do all the hard work get littery nothing. Useless teamleaders who dont have a clue and will always blame someone else if things go wrong. Always moving the goal posts and lack of communication between management.
Charlie please read this review.
Pros
Free food now and again
Cons
Bad managers
Fantastic place to work
Stock Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wells4 February 2019
Worked in production under a fantastic management team friendly faces whenever you walk in the door making a fantastic product. I think there is lots of room for growth
nightmare factory
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  dulcot somerset30 November 2018
OMG.... Really if it were my good name.. Mr Charlie Bigham.. I would look at your support team and get rid of most of them as they are lazy and incompetent. 300 plus staff turn over in less than a year.. speaks for it's self. there is a major problem. if youvare in with the click and enjoy standing in the canteen looking down on the hard workers making rude remarks.. then hey its great... management total lacking, states its not a blame culture. . witch hunt definitely. people person can't keep things in confidence , manager's don't manage . no constancy, one rule of one and another rule another depending on who you are. speak up and point out failures and you are out the door... fall out of Grace and you are out the door.. have an opinions you are out the door.....
Pros
ran as fast as you can in the opposite direction
Cons
every thing there us more to life than subsist lunches
Great company that provides learning opportunity
QA (Former Employee) –  London1 November 2018
Great and dynamic place of work. Offers opportunity for personal development. Enjoyed taste panels whilst working there. Food made on a daily basis was of exceptional quality.
Pros
Learning opportunity
Fails at interview stage
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset24 October 2018
Operations manager is rude and acts very cocky. Shame because production manager seems a right guy.
I would not recommend to anyone to apply here as made to feel not good but all have to start somewhere.
Hygiene Team Member
Hygiene Operative (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset23 October 2018
Great place to work with lot of opportunities around. People and management are very friendly and helpful. Excellent food in staff canteen and benefits for the employees.
Pros
Subsidised cafe, free take home meals, development
Poor
Production (Current Employee) –  Dolcote23 October 2018
Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don’t want to..... take care of your employees and they will take care of your business “just say how it is” or “simple as it is” best advice given for this FACTORY the reason for me writing this review is because it gets monitored by management and Charlie bigham himself and management are offended by the fact the truth comes out on here any normal run company would have seen these reviews and done something about it instead of complaining about the bad reviews. When Charlie himself comes to the FACTORY management tell him everything he wants to hear I personally think that they need to look at themselves to why they don’t meet there goals they want to achieve. You are never treated fairly if your face fits then you are safe but if it does not you won’t get know where here we get treated like little children at nursery with a little passport (stamp/sticker book) for being a good little boy/girl which are rearly given out only if you are a favourite and teams are taken out for a night out for a excuse for management to get drunk. It is frowned apon if you call this place a FACTORY and not a kitchen management do sit on there behinds don’t help they only do something when it goes wrong and that’s when you see them even though it’s there fault for not putting training plans for people so it’s like being at school they expect high standards and no mistakes we are human mistakes are made no matter what happens you will not always get it right things go wrong that’s life but they don’t seem to understand  more... that we are treated like slaves because if management see something needs doing and we are under staff there term is get someone to do it instead of getting there hands dirty...... I could go on all day about the bad stuff with this place but it won’t change They say we are going to make things right but that’s easy said ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS all I can say is make your own decision don’t take my review as the answer for your employment chances you never know your face might just fit all I can say is good luck in finding employment.... but this is only put on here because it is monitored by the management and Charlie himself
Salary pay can’t tell you ? because you don’t get paid properly people team (h.r) can’t fault them but people who do TMS need training how to use it
Pros
Made some good friends
Great team & Improving
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Dulcote10 October 2018
Its a new business and it was a bit chaotic but its getting better. More managers in place, who listen to people more.
Training is getting better too.
My team is great and people are staying longer so we get to know each other more.
Pros
Great team. Cafe & Free Food
hygiene
Hygiene Operative (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset4 October 2018
I worked in several food manufacturing plants and this was the worst.
Overloaded with very cliquey middle managers who require operatives to undertake tasks they would not be able not accomplish themselves.

I was fired for not reporting in sick immediately, |I was in A&E very ill, tried to phone in sick asap, but they are ex directory and have no staff contact phone number on there web site.

They go to great lengths to convince new employee they are a great place to work but I, along with others, have a different impression
Pros
free meals
Cons
bullying
Awful
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset7 September 2018
Just don't do it. Horrible place to work.. everyone is expected to stay over basically every day even though in the interview they tell you 8 hours 45 minutes and you go home. Once did i go home on time. Everyone is treated badly and management have no idea what their doing. The language barrier is so bad that most people can't actually communicate. Never have i worked in such a poorly run company. I would advise everyone to avoid this place unless you absoloutely have to.
Pros
Cons
Expected to work over every day, poor communication, bad management
absolute joke
Cook (Former Employee) –  Dulcote2 September 2018
No respect for the staff. Hours and days off changed without any warning or checking with the staff. (Definitely annoying when you’re trying to balance your life with work) management seems very lost and doesn’t take any of the problems seriously. Some problems take months to resolve sometimes even that doesn’t happen. People leave a lot from being over worked. Women are expected to lift heavy ingredients, some 20/25kg (not everyone can manage such weights. A lot of times there isn’t enough tools you need to do your job. For which you will still be the one blamed . More work than the people to do it. You also get chucked in without any training (because everyone is so busy) and are expected by line leaders to be able to do your job if not they will get assy. Also problem with communication due to lack of people who speak English. People in charge and the favourites get special treatment. Not a job for you if you care about your mental and physical wellbeing .
Very Bad Place To Work
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset21 August 2018
I would advise anyone to think twice about this company all the reviews are true on here although they have now done away with banking hours.
They will not treat you with respect or show any loyalty towards its staff no matter how long you have worked there.
All that matters to this company is reaching a specific target with very little thought about its employees,just the end goal.
There is also a very big language barrier and definitely no bonus. There is however a reward system where you earn stickers for good behaviour that you put in a book and get a reward............
If you should decide to work there I wish you lots of luck
Cons
Very poorly run
Bad place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Wells10 August 2018
Hectic disorganised chaotic working environment caused by bad management.
Language barrier can be a problem.
General overall environment not a good place to work
Never get you overtime or bonus paid and they work it out to be that you owe them overtime.
They threaten you with your job if you don't agree to overtime.
A soul destroying place to work at times.
Dreadful
Hygiene Operative (Current Employee) –  Wells, Somerset19 June 2018
Firstly this company is UNFAIR. Everyone is treated differently depending on who you are and where you come from.

They also have a habit of firing people when they want and how they want. Dont be expected to be given a reason why you can no longer be apart of there company because they will not give you one.

The man himself might not be aware of what his managers are like but if I could give anyone a piece of advice it be stay away from this badly run company.

I have never seen a workplace more corrupt than this one. And like most reviews you can tell people have had the worst time working there.

Trust the people that have given the reviews because you will most likely have a similar experience to the people that have worked there.
Pros
Cons
Dreadful
frustating
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Wells, Somerset29 April 2018
I was collected after 3 hours of
Waiting then the trainer was apparently doing 2 different jobs so Training was brief then was left to it... didn't have a clue what I was doing. Other staff showed me what to do but was a language barrier and the other English staff that worked there haven't been there very long themselves. So it was difficult start.
Pros
Cheap food, nice location
Cons
Unreliable management, frustrating work environment
Avoid
Production Operative (Current Employee) –  Wells20 April 2018
Awful place to work. Management don't have a clue about managing anything. No communication. New people get dropped in the deep end with poor training and being expected to keep up with everyone else. Very low mood on the factory floor. Very rarely finish on time. Awful if you have a family as you have to work every weekend. Never get paid overtime as you end up owing hours and the Bonus is a joke, very much like a carrot on a stick.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Hours, very hard work, no communication
Rapid growth and process improvement
Demand Planner (Current Employee) –  London7 April 2018
Managing customer orders, production plan, demand forecasting.
communication with different departments and customers.
Excellent management team and support
Well respected and motivating culture.
challenges around last minute huge order fluctuations.
constant improvement in process and systems and be part of it.
Always challenge a status quo to fine better ways to improve efficiency and productivity.
Pros
flexibility of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charlie Bigham's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7