Charles Clinkard Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
nice place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire28 April 2018
I've worked for Charles Clinkard for nearly a year and I've enjoyed it a lot. due to A levels I wanted to take a back seat with work but it is a lovely place to work and feels like a family.
Pros
flexiable
Cons
pay
Charles Clinkard
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Middelsborough12 March 2018
Overall good, management not so great and salary could be better. Customers were lovely however, and I learnt a great deal in customer service through the company
Sales Consultant
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey6 February 2018
My time spent at the Guildford branch between 2011 and to now, Has been one of good fun and positive working environment. The Management of Charles Clinkard in Guildford is old fashion with everyone shift writing down on a piece of paper in a book, but is very useful if someone need there shift covered. My time spent at Charles Clinkard has been on of growing my confident and understanding products. I enjoy my time spent at Charles Clinkard the people that i work with and work under.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun work place.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees22 January 2018
The typical working day is not always the same, there are a verity of things that need to be done which is good. all the staff are very friend and is a fun place to work
Enjoy working at clinkards but need more hours
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire10.00023 August 2017
Clinkards is a good company to work for but need more hours than they can gives .Have enjoyed working there and staff make you very welcome like part of the family
Pros
Get discount on own and family shoes
Cons
You have to be flexible
Great company to work for
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Head Office, Middlesbrough20 April 2017
The company is very understanding and supportive. They're enthusiastic about continued professional development, as well as matching skills to tasks - if you're honest about not being able to do something without further training, you're given plenty of freedom to learn what you need to.

There's a diverse range of staff of all ages, abilities, backgrounds etc. and their policies surrounding work place bullying or harassment are clear, concise and modern. The staff are friendly, approachable and helpful and the members of management that I have interacted with so far are fair and welcoming, offering good support for new starters. The working environment is reasonably relaxed but staff remain motivated as a result and seem to get quite a lot done. Sharing of ideas is encouraged, as well as being proactive and showing good initiative. The company has high standards for professional conduct and appearance but they are fair considering the good reputation to be upheld.

The building is fully refurbished and facilities are good, it's within reach of both the bus and train station as well as having its own car park. Hours are flexible within reason (role-dependent I assume) and salaries offered are fair in line with skill level, experience and qualifications.
Pros
Good training opportunities, fair salary, good working environment
Work hard and options are available
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire18 April 2017
opening and closing branch. very busy little store.
worked hard and built the confidence in the area manager and director
lots of running around and constantly busy.
hardest part was it turned out to be quite physical. but nothing you can't handle.
enjoyed making some good sales
friendly
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire4 April 2017
My role as a sales consultant was to make sure all customers were happy with their purchases and that they received the highest standard of sales. I was also trained to measure and fit children’s shoes. During my time here we worked extremely hard to meet weekly targets in the different departments, I was very motivated to become the highest selling store.

Very friendly team, I made friends for life.
Wonderful people to work with, fair management
Supervisor / keyholder (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, st7 1xd13 January 2016
I LOVED working for Charles Clinkard, the people were wonderful, and the management was as fair as they possibly could be. The hours are good, and we get a lot of regulars means the customer base becomes familiar very quickly.
Sales Assistant/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbruy26 November 2015
Your typical day of work is steady. I have learned to be a supervisor start as a sale assistant. management coud to with some work. Sale assistant are a nice bunch of people, managers are alittlehard on you . There isnt really a hard part of the job .
Focused and targeted workplace
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, ENG8 July 2015
Charles Clinkard is a popular shoe store for people of all ages. a typical day at work for me would be measuring children's feet and fetching shoes for them to try until they find the perfect fit. I would also carry out smaller jobs such as cleaning and stock tidying. I learned skills, in this job, that allowed me to socialise easily with people of all ages and to communicate confidently. The management keep a close eye on all of their employees, ensuring people are making their targets and striving to be the best they can be at their job. The hardest and most rewarding part of the job is meeting children who may have difficulties. Meeting these children allow me to make them feel welcome and confident in the store and make a show fitting experience exciting for them.
Pros
Discounted shoes and other store discounts in The Mall Cribbs Causeway
Cons
No set shifts
it was...:-(
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG22 June 2015
Typical day was always the same, didnt really learn anything new apart from Managers treat you as if you at school or something on their shoe, staff make fun of customers and other staff members. Managers push "company policy" but NEVER stick to it themselves.They offer customers "free postage" as goodwill gesture but its free any way.
Pros
Cons
expect to work after hours without pay.
Productive and fun
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tillicoultry, SCT15 June 2015
Great place to work, you are kept busy the customers are polite. The staff are amazing and great to work with as are the management only downfall is the limited hours available
Fun Place to work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG1 April 2015
This job has helped me to develop my communication skills greatly interacting with customers communicating with both parents and children. As well as expanding my confidence as an individual having to deal with peoples personal needs and approach customers when they are in need of assistance. This role also allowed me to learn how to handle difficult situations in a busy environment.
Pros
always alert and friendly staff
Cons
very busy environment especially in the summer
Small Family Business
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG10 July 2014
Nice to work for a company which is like working within the family.
Great for developing skills in retail
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  middlesbrough2 June 2014
This was my first job, from age 16-18, I learnt more here than at any other work place. It is a difficult job but I came out of it very confident in customer services. If you believe you are a hard worker, working in the children's department in a fine footwear shop during the back to school rush, will certainly prove it. Excellent job for summer overtime and earning sales bonuses.

Management however leave a lot to be desired often! often there was an atmosphere of bullying within the small workplace and myself and 2 others quit within the same month, Due to the negative atmosphere we were working in.
However, I've been gone a year and things may have changed since then. The important thing is, if you are willing to earn it there is money to be had!
Family run business with values
Assistant Manager holding manager (Current Employee) –  Trafford Centre5 June 2013
very busy from the start of day Trafford centre comes alive very early , i am the holding manager now the manager has left so i have to take control and rally the rest of the management team round for the day to work. I understand the colture of the Trafford Centre the hours the people and that no two days are the same. My team are very loyal and helpful we all work well as a team ( hate cliches) but true. sale is my pet hate i would do anything but prep sale. (truth) the most enjoyable part christmas as everyone is happy.
Pros
great company
Cons
its closing down