CGL (Change, Grow, Live)

CGL (Change, Grow, Live) Employee Reviews

United Kingdom58 reviews
Great values and teams with a potential for development
CGL has a great value set and this reflects in the teams within it
The constant monitoring can lead to micro management , depending on the line manager in each case
Pros
Fantastic training offer, Good benefits including employee assistance, ScopE for changing roles and advancing
Cons
Competitive outlook can lead to high caseloads and pressure on case coordinators, Management sometimes dissociated from the stress of the case workers
An impressive charity
I currently volunteer with Change Grow Live and I am so impressed with them. All the staff and service users I have spoken to have been lovely and my boss is very supportive and encouraging. Some other charities sadly treat service users and volunteers differently but not CGL. I started my training with them and hopefully can continue once things go back to normal re: Covid. I couldn't recommend them enough!
Pros
Supportive staff, friendly atmosphere, travel expenses paid for and lunch whilst on training
Cons
None that I've found so far!
The hardest part of the job
The role was fast-paced and stressful at times so it was important to be flexible, able to multi-task and prioritise you workload whilst not forgetting important duties and remain calm.
Avoid!!!
If you want to work with a bunch of headless chickens who can't run a bath never mind a community service, then knock yourself out. Very poorly managed, extremely large unmanageable work load, incompetent staff, no room for progress, capped salary, no benefits or perks, place is a joke, riddled with a rat infestation.
Un-Relaxing work environment
Clients will yell at you, call you names (some offensive). Services have big staff turnover. It's not a nice, happy or relaxing environment to work in
Fair
Good training opportunities
Good team of frontline workers

Progression for the right candidates

No two days are the same

Children’s and family service in need of developing

Adult services established
Stressful
I first started at CGL as a volunteer and the branch I worked at worked together as a team. I then applied for a paid role at a different branch. It wasn’t the same. The Male recovery workers were passive aggressive and clearly didn’t like their jobs. Being shouted at and spoken to like dirt on a daily basic is just not on. The turn over of staff says it all.

The company do pay a good salary and offer good career development. Just be careful which hub you work for. Service users can be difficult but that’s the nature of the environment. At least they apologise when their in the wrong! My line manager was good, but unfortunately he wasn’t based at my branch so didn’t get to see what I had to deal with on a daily basis.
Pros
Salary/seeing people turn their life around
Cons
Unsupportive work colleagues
busy
busy working environment; very driven; competitive and hard work, but some of the people who work there are quite nice. Not much visibility of the people at the top of the organisation.
Beware : Exploits volunteers and then drops them
I spent several weeks training to be a voluntary Independent Visitor for looked after children. CGL was poorly organized and kept losing my details and personal information so that I had to resubmit and take my passport for another check in person. After waiting many weeks I was finally placed with a young person. I enjoyed the outings but found the paperwork extremely onerous. I’m not computer literate and because I did not send my expenses form exactly as was required, it was rejected and I had to do it again . This caused me a lot of stress as I didn’t know how to do it. I have an invisible disability which means I get very tired and have occasional memory lapses which made remembering secure passwords difficult. I was told adjustments could be made regarding using the computer to make it easier but this never happened. Instead, the day before a planned outing, I was told I was no longer placed with the young person . The foster parents had no idea. I believe it was because I did not follow the party line. I was very upset, but upon reading other reviews realize that this is not unusual behaviour for a very unpleasant company who treats volunteers like a lower form of life. Avoid!
Pros
CRB check ( eventually) had a nice time with the young person
Cons
They don’t like their procedures and policies being questioned
oppressive and stressful
Management positions are allocated on the basis of who you know not what you know.
There is a distinct "us and them" culture and people are promoted to positions beyond their capabilities.

Volunteers are exploited and expected to carry out tasks beyond what should be expected of them. Very little support for volunteers.

Inhouse courses and e-learning is useless and not fit for purpose.

Advertised interventions are frequently cancelled or non-existent.

The hardest part of the job is having to work with inept managers with little appreciation of the intricacies involved in a stressful job. Senior managers are bullies who cannot accept criticism even of a constructive nature.

The best part of the job is the engagement with the client group who are not given a voice, service user involvement is paid mere "lip service"
Appalling!
The worst management I have ever experienced! Bullying is rife, but ignored and clients are treated dreadfully. Thankfully there are a few dedicated and experienced workers who keep it going.
An ok place to work
I started off at CGL on a temporary 6 month contract. They were trialling a new position that they had created. The actual working environment at CGL is very busy as we have a lot of clients but the culture of the place was good. It has been one of the only places I have worked at where there are no factions or people who refuse to talk to each other.
The work life/balance is also good, it is your typical 9-5 job Monday-Friday.

Management are ok, it all depends on who you get on the day and what is happening, but overall they are lazy and try to avoid working as much as possible. There is also the attitude of "not my client, not my problem" amongst certain workers which I don't like.

Job security is minimal. A lot of people are on contracts. After the end of my 6 months I was told by the project manager that I was being extended and that they were looking at my position being made permanent but of course I would have to apply for that even though I am already in the role?. At the end of the next 6 months I was told that my contract wasn't being renewed.

This went against everything I was told before. I was then offered two options, apply for the vacant 6 month job which paid more or apply for the vacant 6 months job which paid less money.

Even though I applied for the more money one, and even though I was technically already in the role, I didn't make it to the second round of interviews which I believe was a political decision and wasn't based on how I did in the interview.

Towards the end of my contract, I had to work alongside the person who beat me
 - more...
To many policies
I volunteered for Cgl Southampton . Miss management lack of experience and empathy.was a very toxic place to be sadly.previously was SSJ
Wich was the best recovery

focused hub
The hardest part of the job
The most challenging aspect of working with CGL is the challenging and complex casework. Holding a caseload of over 60 clients is not for everyone. It is imperative to have the support of an experienced manager and I have found this to be the case throughout my time with the company.
life changing
changing peoples lives has been a life changing experience for my self, it has been a pleasure working for this inspirational company. i highly recommend working here
learning experience
Everyday is a different day. I love that i get the opportunity to have different clients from different backgrounds. I have learnt and gained so much here.
Incredible cause and dedicated staff
My time at CRI afforded me the opportunity to gain further insight into the challenges people face when experiencing addiction.

There was an opportunity to develop and oversee considerable change. The organisation practices what it preaches. When I was there, 25% of its staff were people in recovery.

The staff are extremely dedicated and compassionate people, and most havevocation to help people.
Placement
Good placement to work at and I enjoyed working face to face with clients. Although management were sometimes never around and accessible with all the TOIL and annual leave.
Not the best experience
Local management and team were great, can't say the same at a corporate level. Didn't feel at all valued by the organisation. A very disappointing experience
Avoid
This organisation only cares about 1 thing and thats winning contracts, absolutly no regards for client and staff wellbeing, very good at making the service sound good but in reallity its nothing but chaos, high caseloads 90+ not unusaul, low staffing, staff, de-skilled, cutting jobs. Ive been in substance misuse field for over 13 years and have never witnessed susch a shocking organisation as CGL. If you value your career then avaoid
Open Office
On the typical day you are seated most of the time. It's a small open office with a bout 8 - 15 people in it at any one time. Can get a bit hectic and feel fairly claustrophobic, but if you like IT and don't mind the feeling of someone looking over your shoulder and listening in on your conversations the entire day, you should be fine.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at CGL (Change, Grow, Live). Our community is ready to answer.
CGL (Change, Grow, Live) Reviews by Location