Central England Co-operative Employee Reviews

There is no management planning or intervention when needed
Customer Service Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bungay6 December 2019
Policies and standards are not upheld from interviews to commencing work so whatever goes tattoos jewellery makeup clothing hair colour/styles and conduct is non existent
Learn and grow
Employee Relations Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lichfield, Staffordshire5 December 2019
A corporate environment harbouring a culture of growth and continuous learning. A very welcoming environment with the encouraging of you finding your own working methods. Transparent and collaborative where success is recognised and celebrated. Highly recommend.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth, Norfolk30 November 2019
Do not work here, trust me. Staff do nothing but gossip about others. 4 female members of staff who think they run the place (the co-op mafia) are nothing but bullies, they're rubbish team leaders, even worse duty managers, changing their shifts so they don't have to work nights or weekends, stand around chatting instead of serving customers, can't even do the accounts properly in the petrol station. As for the manager, give me strength!
Hopefully when they change to Morrisons, they will have the sense to get rid of the bad rubbish.
Not what it used to be
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Lichfield, Staffordshire28 November 2019
Not what it used to be. Too difficult to get anything done, far to much bureaucracy and red tape. Areas of the business work against each other rather than in cooperation.
Co-Op Funerals Nechells
FSA (Former Employee) –  Great Brook Street26 October 2019
Don't bother doing an application. The management already know who they want for the jobs and only advertise the jobs because they have to by law. 25+ long-term members of staff have been forced to leave between Sep 2018-Sep 2019 and despite what the managers say, it is due to a toxic, corrupt group of people sitting around watching others do their job for them. No care or dignity for the deceased and no pride in the work. Don't even think about taking that lunch break, annual leave or medical appointments that you are legally entitled to. They won't let you. You'll work yourself into the ground and then get disciplined for going off sick. Avoid at all costs.
Manager-Dependant enjoyment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicestershire22 October 2019
My first manager was amazing, always available to talk to and supportive in everything- it seemed like he genuinely cared about my opinions and my welfare.
The new manager was the complete opposite. Treated us like working animals and just as if we were numbers to the company. The business is also implementing changes which essentially mean that if you are not 100% flexible then you're not welcome.
Upon starting university, I was told that if I could not make my shifts due to other commitments I would be faced with losing the hours without being able to change my shifts to another time.
So so
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire19 October 2019
Good prospects for advancement however work life balance can suffer. The salary is above minimum wage at entry level but is slow to expand once you start progressing up the ranks. There are several benefits including colleague discount and a share of the profits which is delivered biannually
you'll regret it
csa (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire12 October 2019
male employees behave like they're in school, its impossible to gain full time hours, the managers would quite literally sacrifice anything if the price was right (including store and employee quality) and there's truly no regard for employee welfare (asking a young girl that was throwing up to finish the rest of her shift which was another two hours!)
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Market Harborough1 October 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed working here as it is a very warming environment to work. All of the staff are very friendly and provided motivation for me to excel which also allowed me to feel comfortable around them.
Pros
The colleagues
Cons
Hard to book holidays at short notice
Fast paced environment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Erdington, West Midlands21 September 2019
Replenishing stock, cleaning shelves, facing up products and completing deliveries are priority tasks to complete. Enjoyable workplace and rewarding .
overworked and underpaid
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire16 September 2019
working between 4-6 hours a day with very minimal breaks sometimes barely 10 minutes a day trying to do multiple jobs in between serving. management seem to get more days off than any other staff yet they take credit for any work carried out by associates within the store. staff paid barely enough for the number of hours worked many working more than alloted contract hours with no chance of any form of progression to higher positions and atmosphere within most stores is terrible lots of backstabbing and complaining between staff. many forced to work every weekend or work long evening hours cutting down on family time
Interesting Job let down by Management
Funeral Operative (Former Employee) –  Stirchley, West Midlands15 September 2019
As an FSA at Birmingham I can say that the work is varied and interesting , however the management style leaves a lot to be desired.
Nepatism rules at this company through and through , most people get jobs there not on their merit but because they have a relative there and it shows, there is little respect for the deceased although the processes are there to be followed rarely they are followed.
Bullying is rife
Treat staff like something on there shoe
Undertaker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham12 September 2019
When I 1st started the company was great.
Then they employed people who did not have a clue to what they were doing.. the only way you could get anywhere in the business is by being a favourite or be up someone's back side..
They took thousands of pounds a year off us which lead me to leave!.
All they care about is money not the family!
Stay well away
Driver bearer (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire11 September 2019
Terrible full of bullying underpaid over worked. Lots of disgusting behaviour from staff disrespectful to deceased. Managers do nothing when you report it only care about numbers and money.
Worst company ever
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  East Midlands17 August 2019
Was there for 5 years. Each store was full of back stabbers. They make you believe the potential to move forward in your career however, soon as they get you to a level they need you at they keep you there on the ‘hope’ you get a promotion. Duty management pack states 14weeks to train up to the next level but the store managers let it go on for over a year! This happened to so many colleagues. Never mind the fact if your ever off sick or got any personal issues you line manager would tell all the other store managers in your group, therefore if you ever went to apply for another stores they all ready know more about you then they should know as it’s data protection but that clearly goes out the window!
Most shifts are either start at 6am or finish at 10pm Sunday - Saturday. They also like to throw in some back to backs, so finish at 10pm and start at 6am what’s against the law as it doesn’t give you enough hours in your rest period between shifts.
Management is disgusting, many of them are really clicky with each other and if you don’t fit in they will force you out... not even much point going through HR as they will just move the person who put the grievance in to another store and hope it blows over. No support at all...

Only positive is that out of all the people you meet you might meet 1 or 2 really genuine people that do support you... however you’ll find they are trying to find a way out the co-op.

The turn over between colleagues is ridiculous. Not many last long there all lovely at first but once your settled you really start to see people’s true colours.
Cons
Great Start to a new role
Driver / Bearer (Current Employee) –  Staffordshire Derbyshire11 August 2019
In direct contradiction to the understandable negative feedback of ex colleagues who have recently lost their Jobs to a well needed restructure I and many new colleagues have been well trained and inducted into the funeral business. The Funeral Directors that I have worked alongside have been welcoming and relatively understanding ( except one who has generally poor management skills ) but this is in the minority. The new colleagues have settled well and our training has been comprehensive . Although given the scale of our role there is lots still to learn. The role is ideally suited for people wanting upto 25 hours a week and are relatively flexible between 8am and 5.30pm.
Pros
Working with some great colleagues
Cons
Rotas only available 3 or 4 days in advance
Great people idiots running it
Funeral Service Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 August 2019
Worked in funeral, great team of people wrecked by idiots who only gave a toss about their profits and making money from people at a terrible time of their lives. Your just a number they dont care about their colleagues at all. DONT WORK FOR THEM
Pros
yearly share of the profits
Appalling!
Funeral service assistant (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire4 August 2019
Absolutely dreadful company to work for! Staff across central England coop have been treated appallingly in the last 12 months, and many have been made redundant..... leaving them emotionally broken people! Those people cared passionately about the families they served and the care given to every loved one who came through our doors .....only to be discarded and replaced by cheaper, totally inexperienced staff!
The management have given no support whatsoever throughout the redundancy periods for each staff member, in fact they have avoided us all.......oh, except for when they demanded we train the new people to do our jobs ready for when we all left!....disgusting and heartless behaviour!
Fun and outgoing workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braunstone, Leicestershire2 August 2019
Awesome and fun workplace with great staff and colleagues around. Very helpful and form a perfect team. It was a pleasure gaining retail experience in the Braunstone store.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central England Co-operative. Our community is ready to answer.