Central England Co-operative

Central England Co-operative Employee Reviews

United Kingdom93 reviews
Store teams are great, always working hard for low pay and the above and beyond attitude by the front line colleagues is beyond superb. However constantly let down by empty promises by above. Head office is run by people who don't understand the impact of tasks on a store team. Management at store level and operations level is a mixed bag. Some great some not fit for purpose. Lots of managers are so emotionally unaware
Pros
Store teams, managers pay, Discount.
Cons
Head office, managers are poor in cases.
A good company to work for, need to move at pace and many hours work required to stay ahead of the workload. Busy, Fast Paced but great people to work with aiming for the same goal.
Pros
colleague benefits include discounted food, travel and funeralcare
Cons
long hours, stressful
• Learned how to work efficiently and improvised on team skills & expectation and multitasking
• Worked on the till to give customers a friendly, knowledgeable and comfortable experience

• Other tasks involved stacking shelfs, supplier return and reduction of items on time
Working for the society for 26years, the company has lost it's identy. Too many people at the top affect prices for the customer, standards in store (ie all stores requiring refits, not just some). Some stores desperatly need relocating due to geographical changes ie housing developments or due to the amount of asbestos in stores.I love my job, and my team, but the company really does not care. And it shows.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Pay vs work load, poor decision making, meetings and meetings, upper management, top heavy company, No identity
Enjoyable place to work if any problems occurred you could talk to head office pay is reasonable customers were happy a lot of the time area manager was very helpful they put me through my personal license and if I hadn’t of moved to Yorkshire I would still be there
Over worked, waste of space manager that sat in the office stock leaves always in the warehouse as colleges, and when u told the manager he didn’t care
I wouldn't recommend Central England Co-op. Maybe it depends who your manager is but mine was a total power-freak. She was also totally miserable and I didn't think this was good around customers. When I left I wasn't paid properly. It took 4 phone calls to the store and eventually an email to head office threatening to report them to ACAS before things were rectified. Don't go there....
Fun, friendly place to work. Management are happy to fit to your lifestyle and needs. Always had incentives going and had many opportunities for progression.
Pros
Discounts
Still operating early/late shift patterns with max 9hr shifts a day, this is a rare find in the haulage industry these days. Good competitive wages with supplements which are very rewarding. Staff discount card up to 20% in stores as well as a warehouse staff discount shop. I find the management style very supportive and relaxed. Try them out in the Agency and you’ll soon want to join the team full time.
Working for Central England cooperative is a good place to work in a team and helps build confidence and is a great place to learn about working with food and working with customers.
Pros
Good holiday days
Cons
Work life balance can be tough
One of the best employers I've worked for. Hourly pay is greater than minimum wage. Management at the store I work at deal with problems straight away, same can't be said for some stores that I've visited/ done extra hours in. I've heard from some people that they advanced quickly while others have said it's slow progressing. I have and would recommend central England coop as a place to work
I had to leave due to personal circumstances but can assure you it was a hard decision. I was there during the change over of staff and can honestly say it was a lovely and caring place to work. The reviews you read are disgruntled old members of staff who had a choice to stay or go, they loved the money so went with the payouts. The problem was not with the management, but with the old staff that left with poor and negative mindset.
Policies and standards are not upheld from interviews to commencing work so whatever goes tattoos jewellery makeup clothing hair colour/styles and conduct is non existent
A corporate environment harbouring a culture of growth and continuous learning. A very welcoming environment with the encouraging of you finding your own working methods. Transparent and collaborative where success is recognised and celebrated. Highly recommend.
Pros-The majority of the people you work with are lovely
Cons- The days and times you work change as you have to be flexible,not good if you have plans,appointments etc.

Overtime is only given out to certain people.

Sometimes you're left on your own on the kiosk when it's busy and at times when your shift ends no one comes up to replace you.
Do not work here, trust me. Staff do nothing but gossip about others. 4 female members of staff who think they run the place (the co-op mafia) are nothing but bullies, they're rubbish team leaders, even worse duty managers, changing their shifts so they don't have to work nights or weekends, stand around chatting instead of serving customers, can't even do the accounts properly in the petrol station. As for the manager, give me strength!
Hopefully when they change to Morrisons, they will have the sense to get rid of the bad rubbish.
Not what it used to be. Too difficult to get anything done, far to much bureaucracy and red tape. Areas of the business work against each other rather than in cooperation.
Don't bother doing an application. The management already know who they want for the jobs and only advertise the jobs because they have to by law. 25+ long-term members of staff have been forced to leave between Sep 2018-Sep 2019 and despite what the managers say, it is due to a toxic, corrupt group of people sitting around watching others do their job for them. No care or dignity for the deceased and no pride in the work. Don't even think about taking that lunch break, annual leave or medical appointments that you are legally entitled to. They won't let you. You'll work yourself into the ground and then get disciplined for going off sick. Avoid at all costs.
My first manager was amazing, always available to talk to and supportive in everything- it seemed like he genuinely cared about my opinions and my welfare.
The new manager was the complete opposite. Treated us like working animals and just as if we were numbers to the company. The business is also implementing changes which essentially mean that if you are not 100% flexible then you're not welcome.

Upon starting university, I was told that if I could not make my shifts due to other commitments I would be faced with losing the hours without being able to change my shifts to another time.
Good prospects for advancement however work life balance can suffer. The salary is above minimum wage at entry level but is slow to expand once you start progressing up the ranks. There are several benefits including colleague discount and a share of the profits which is delivered biannually