Central Convenience Stores

Central Convenience Stores Employee Reviews

United Kingdom34 reviews
Overall the job wasn't so bad, however as the company chnaged hands its became more and more difficult to keep up with added workloads and with no reflection in hours increase to complete the work.
My team was small and understaffed, I regularly worked 60 hour weeks for a pathetic salary just to keep the area manager off my back.
No work life balance.
Unsafe stores full of hazards.

Poor pay.

No days off.

Area manager who spends all his time in stores of his favourite Managers or stores where he lives.

If you're part of the management team, expect phone calls on days off.

Lone working.

Very stressful.
I will never recommend working for such a slackly awful Badly run business where the management have no idea what there doing and take there staff for granted and expect staff to do every hour for very little pay
A awful day and learned nothing The manager a real lecith and the poor people that worked there said that that have no choice. The manager is creepy ..
The shop is nice with good customers,
However the area management are appalling, with childish attitude to stock and application of staff, no staff discounts, no antisocial pay, supervisors expected to do a lot more for 20p extra an hour
Pros
Local, customers
Cons
Pay, expectations, discounts, management, stock availability.
Working at Central is nothing short of a Pain in the backside. Many of us are expected to work a Post Office, a Shop Till and serve as a Human Cash Machine, all whilst maintaining embarrassingly overpriced stock and constantly keeping watch for parades of Shoplifters on a Daily basis. All for a measly £6.50 an hour. You've got to be joking? I am Currently on a 16 hour Contract yet I am expected to do 33 plus hours a week because of how poorly Managed the workplace is.

Would recommend as a temporary place to work but other than that, I suggest you keep searching!
Did not enjoy, very fast paced and not much time to relax as working non stop. Minimum wage.

Management was very bad, hard to talk to and not willing to listen and sort out problems within the workplace.
An enjoyable place to work, where i had to manage an employee, and trusted to close the store when i was done. i also had to stock take and ensure shop cleanliness.
Nice workplace to work in. I had a lot of time working independently and actually away from the workplace itself. Really enjoyed the company of others and the management is good.
Pros
independent
Cons
lots of walking
Easy and fun place to work at, its better due to the great store manager. We all get on, real relaxed and yet we get all the work done. Would recommend
Pros
The staff
Cons
Having worked at central convenience store for a short time I was met with an unfortunate incident that I have never experienced in my 30+ years in customer service as a result of a supervisor's abusive behaviour and rudeness of certain other staff. The incident I experienced was witnessed by a local business proprietor which resulted in this gentleman informing the area manager in a telephone call
It is one rule for one and one for another. Playground tactics doesn't even begin to describe the undermining behaviour that followed working in such a toxic environment. I loved serving the customers and duties that were required of me but there was no sense of worth or gratitude for anything I did and felt my concerns were overlooked. Customers were aware of the appaling attitude they were faced with when being served by two very rude and inconsiderate staff members. Fortunately I have a new job where I feel I can reach my full potential.
Pros
Lovely customers
Cons
Long standing hours unfair rota rude staff unfortunate incident never dealt with
Terrible management that seems to change on a dime, and promote people for nothing, unsafe and dirty work environment. Training I was promised wasnt provided even after 4 months, customers tend to be rude and impolite, or just stupid.

Don't bother, just find somewhere else
Cons
No staff benefits, hours, environment
wouldn't recommend, only thing I liked was the customers and the staff within the shop. it was taken over twice while I worked there, no communication with us from higher up, just all in all a stressful bad place to work.
A shocking company who really have very little business sense. Terrible stock control, ridiculous pricing structure, no management skills. Working for central is really just a free for all. Low staff morale.
Pros
Easy going
Cons
Staff were always very "to themselves" and would rather complain to managers rather than tell the colleagues what's bothering them. Management was poor, shop was always a mess and working their was never fun, always miserable. Managers were also rather rude, interrupting all the time. Would definitely skip this job, not worth it!
Pros
Cons
Management, shop tidiness.
They don’t ask you before creating a new rota, terrible at covering shifts, and they don’t really care about you. Only reason I’m still with them is the money and the customers, but even then it’s questionable.
Pros
Over min wage for under 25s
Cons
Terrible management and stock control
the company was good to work for and the staff are always happy to help the only problem i had was traveling so far out to the store as i cycled there
Pros
good team
Cons
loctaion
Management is really bad, with very little caring for staff. All singing from different hymn sheet. Customers make the job worth while. Pricing structure is ridiculous a lot of it makes no sense. No control of stock.
Pros
Left alone
Cons
Long hours when quiet
some of the team are fun to work with. Company not 100% but no one is perfect. I feel like i'm a big part of the company, helping out where i can. Some stores need improving but it will take time!
Pros
Not constant serving
Cons
Not long breaks
Overall central was a very good company to work for I gained a lot of experience whilst working for them including post office skills and general sales skills, unfortunately my employment came to an end due to having to move
Pros
Gained lots of different skills
Cons
Travel time to get to work
They amount of work expected of the staff by the company at the Central Store I worked at was unfair and way over the top, working for central as a whole wasn't to bad