Central Bedfordshire Council

Central Bedfordshire Council Employee Reviews

Staff members were helpful and co -operative.Good place to work.Working conditions relaxed, not too pressurised, all equipment was up to date and serviced regularly.
An overwhelming sense of frustration at how slow and difficult it was to move projects forward. Mainly caused by bottleneck at the very senior level. Very traditional, hierarchical approach. Main interest seemed to be to avoid sticking head above parapet! Misplaced arrogance as regards capability in some seniors; meaningless meetings and sessions where decisions had already been made; a generally fearful staff; lots piled on to capable workers; reluctance to deal with staff capability issues; little notion of involving service users in any meaningful or sustained way; promotion for those whose faces fit (was well known in the organisation); lack of trust; power is important.Other colleagues nice, although some were clearly not really capable of the roles they were doing, or made minimum efforts.
Pros
Colleagues are nice
Cons
High staff turnover due to unhappiness, overwork for the capable, can't rely on seniors for support - sometimes seems they are doing the opposite.
As a tutor, was expected to recruit learners, as well as plan, deliver and assess. Too much emphasis was made on marketing courses and not sufficient time allocated to teaching and learning. Management appear uncaring and not from teaching background. Enjoyed the actual face to face teaching element, but the hardest part of the job was finding learners to teach. Management only interested in how much money was being made in classroom. 2 days a week, I would leave my home at 7am and not return until 10pm. Management have little appreciation for family life or disability. Management not flexible, but expect staff to be.
Pros
lovely learners
Cons
poor and uncaring management with little knowledge of teaching
generally a nice place to work. Like any other organisation it has its issues but nothing too serious. As a big organisation , it is possible to work in different departments which is a good thing.
Collecting Children from their home to be taken to school then collecting children from school to be taken home. When you are working with the children.
Pros
flexible
Cons
split shifts
the people i met on the job became an extended part of my family and helped me through some difficult changes of my life. 5 years on I am considering re applying for the same sort of work
I was TUPE over to CBC and was offered a similar role. I left this role as I wanted to have a new challenge. I found working for CBC a reasonable place to work .
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
The company as a whole has policies and procedures in place that make it difficult to complete your work. Your pay does not reflect the work that is expected of you and is more than advertised. The job role/pay is also less than other local authorities
Enjoy working for Central Bedfordshire Council, they offer good pay, good holiday entitlement, fairness, teamwork, good management, great staff, good pension scheme and I would recommend working for Central Bedforshire Council .
Unfortunately it is what you expect from working for a local authority. Morale seems quite low. Not sure how the Council is currently looking to change.
Whilst working here I was welcomed and well looked after. The team always taught me what I needed to do and ensured me that I was capable of doing it.
Loved working here but this was only ever a temporary job, My typical day was attending council funding meetings and taking minutes, adding data to secure systems as I was dealing with highly confidential information. Then I had to make sure any confidential information on paper was disposed of securely. I worked wit a lovely very supportive team. It was sad to see the restructuring that was about to happen after I left.
Pros
Supportive team, very interesting job
CBC aspire to be a supportive work environment, however frequent changes in management and staffing create an unsettling environment. More focus is given on seeking an Outstanding OFSTED rating which has a detrimental impact on workers ability to manage complex work with no consideration of the impact that court work has on other general areas of social work. Caseloads are relatively low but little support is available with managers constantly fighting against excessive demands of senior management.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
Expectations to work long hours
I did my project and left. No real problems. Nice Team to work with. Usual problem of being difficult work in local government. Very nice work location.
Pros
Work life
Cons
Time to make decisions
Days busy, always different, depending on the tenants calling in or emailing. Customer service can be interesting, as long as the callers do not take out their frustrations on you. Management friendly, approachable, however they need to show consistency during progress meetings.
Pros
temp work, good hours, negotiable wage
Dreadful place to work. High paid managers that don't know the job they're managing. Lower paid staff treated like rubbish. No chance for advancement unless you're rubbish at your job. Only the office staff seem to get benefits, officers on street get nothing.
Pros
Monthly wage
Cons
Working for the council
This is a very much scaled down council which only looks after the mid part of Bedfordshire on a shoestring budget which is getting reduced every year. This is a difficult place to work due to constant penny pinching from the Senior Managers whom earn extortionate salaries and harp on about their difficulties running everything whilst giving everyone else a hard time.
Pros
Few
Cons
Low Salary
Awful place full of nepotistic incompetent managers with very high salaries. This is a very badly run council with overpaid employees who seem to spend most of their time moaning about each other and backstabbing.
Pros
Hometime
Cons
Working with backstabbing colleagues
Great place to work with supportive colleagues and management. Agile working makesthe job easy as Social work is a stressfull professional. organised tem with supportive colleagues
Pros
agile working
Cons
i travel a long distance
I would spend time working in HRA, and Financial Control and day to day tasks would include Capital Spend per Property, Budget Book, and Leases. Learned the basics of Excel, and was exposed to the harsh reality of budgets, housing and many other things. Management was great, and got on very well with them. The hardest part of the job was having to work in a silent environment, and with everyone being a lot older than me The most enjoyable part was flexible working
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Dull working environment
Was always busy. Job satisfaction and rewarding work. Managed to a high level of professionalism. Hardest part was dealing with upsetting scenarios and best part was receiving thanks for hard work.
Pros
Professionalism and rewarding
Cons
Due to changes and departmental restructuring