Caterpillar Employee Reviews

Found 192 reviews matching the search See all 5,316 reviews
Caterpillar Peterlee review
Project Manager and Productivity Solutions (Former Employee) –  Peterlee West ED24 May 2018
I worked for this company for many years in different roles and each with a different challenge. The business supports and provides training to enable you to work within a global corporation with multiple cultures and people and provides training to maintain a excellent team based culture. Working as a team throughout my employment and been part of Caterpillar is very rewarding but you need to be dedicated and work to achieve your goals.
The Caterpillar plant at Peterlee is a very good place to work and the benefits are there for you if you work hard
Pros
Good Team
Cons
Willing to work to achieve your goals
Easy repetitive work
CNC MACHINE OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire22 October 2018
Used to be a good place to work but has become very numbers focussed and employees are looked upon as a number and not a person, chopping and changing shifts to the detriment of the workforces lifestyle.
Pros
Good benefits such as bonus, pension and shares
Cons
Poor management
(Various roles) - Material Handler (Former Employee) –  LARNE9 November 2018
Working here had many benefits, was close to home and very decent salary and the work was varied.
Most of the management was ok and the work was easy enough
No future without nepotism.
Technician Various (Former Employee) –  Peterlee, Durham18 June 2018
Caterpillar is heavily driven on the culture known as jobs for the boys. If you want a progressive career this company is not for you. If you're happy to plod on for the foreseeable future then great company to work for.
Contractor - Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands26 June 2018
Lots of management support, good work life balance, good team moral. On the job training, communication regarding company. Team moral is good. Humour in the office whilst still hard working
Pros
On the job training
Cons
slow paced non manufacturing
good company, bad morals
Apprentice Engineer (Former Employee) –  Desford, Leicestershire20 September 2018
As a big business, the company does well to produce good quality products and is extremely efficient. However with efficiency comes strict and hard work, all of which go unnoticed and not rewarded or beneficial to a healthy functional career.
Fantastic!
Acccountant Legal Entity - Placement (Former Employee) –  Belfast30 August 2018
Great team
Brilliant management
Excellent training
Highly recommended company to have listed on the CV.
The experience has been second to none and CAT NI will always be special to me
good
Fabractor/Welder (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees29 June 2018
good company to work for plenty of progression but salary does not comply with the job roll. In all good company but improvement on wages required. thanks
Well paid jobs, ineffective senior management
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland9 December 2017
Could be a great place to work but let down badly by senior management unwilling to apply company values to themselves. Integrity is discouraged, in favour of making numbers sound good - those willing to use dishonesty to progress their careers are rewarded.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
Culture of dishonesty
face has to fit to get on
Op tech full time (Former Employee) –  Leicester10 December 2017
The apprentices comments are spot on, only there to be used as cheap labour and no way a full trade apprenticeship. All who didn't get taken on were treated very shabbily. Very little job rotation so like my self you could end up with repetitive strain injuries and despite the culture of safety the management do not care if you suffer injury if you can't work your out or branded a trouble maker.
Line managers are idle and only interested in numbers off the line regardless of quality.
Pros
Clean toilets
Cons
Lots
A family business
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands15 June 2018
Caterpillar is an incredible company to work for and they take their customer service seriously. There is a culture of inclusiveness, acceptance and integrity.
Fun workplace also rather strict
Manufacturing engineer apprentice (Former Employee) –  Desford4 July 2018
Depending were you worked at the time, could have been on the line building up your parts to fit on to the main frame of a digger or in the shipping area transporting diggers into containers ready for shipments.
I learned how to be in a mechanical environment and how to work around a team of people.
Pros
Early finish on Fridays.
Cons
Work rate was up and down through the year.
Long hours, unrewarding
Dumper Driver (Former Employee) –  Peterlee, Durham10 July 2018
The hours were very long, and the wage achieved did not compensate for the length of time being there. All in all, an unsatisfactory experience of employment. That said, some really good people work there.
Great experience and good working environment
Performance/Simulation/Application Engineer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough24 March 2018
Positives:
- High knowledgable people
- Good working environment
- Good salary
- Very good experience

Negatives:
- Sometimes changes take time
- If you like fast pace look motorsport
good workplace
Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham15 May 2018
The workplace itself was a great place to work I enjoyed the job itself but my condition had a huge affect on my day to day enjoyment of the job.The pay was brilliant, the staff were great and supported me and looked after me.
Assembly agency worker
Assembly Operator (Current Employee) –  Desford, Leicestershire6 May 2018
Good regular work, in a clean safe environment. The staff are mostly friendly, though agency and apprentices get all the rubbish jobs and are treated like second class workers.
Pros
Good wage and bonus. Early finish friday.
Cons
Clicky environment. No permanent jobs. Sent home unpaid when work slow
I have some fun memorys of nights out and our own fishing club
Fitter (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, ENG13 March 2015
I am sad to leave a job and freinds that have been a part of my life for nearly 19 years and i hopped i would be here for the rest of my working life but catterpillar are pulling out of the uk and we are all being made redundant but i believe i still have a lot to offer another company.I have a health and safety certificate manual handling certificate.A typical day would be too check what to prioritize for finalize shipment for the days work i enjoyed working on my own and feel i was very comfident to do so.The hardest part of my job was the weight of the converters i had to fit 25kl each by hand.The best part of my job was being left to my own devices the supervition and managment have confidence in my ability and the qaulity department manager did nothink but praise me up after my trips to brazil.
Pros
when traveling everythink was paid for.
Cons
being made redundunt
Productive, fast paced environment
Welder (Former Employee) –  Peterlee25 August 2012
Typical day midnight - 8am. Dump Body line, continuous welding of the dump bodies, operation of the crane, guillotine, press etc. Often working in a small groups to complete the work and meet the targets set. Management were very supportive and the environment was a very caring one. Employees were looked after very well.
Pros
excellent salary benefits and good management
Cons
no job security through agency.
Unfair place
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Desford, Leicestershire15 February 2018
Management very unfair, does not treat everyone fairly. The agency staff get treated very bad. Need to brighten up their management to people who actually want the company to do well.
Productive but misleading
Engineering Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Desford21 September 2017
My thoughts on the Caterpillar apprenticeship scheme are as follows we where given targets to abide by and we were promised that if we met those we would make it through the stages to secure long term employment, however this was not the case.
Basically my personal thoughts on my experience where that Caterpillar was working with the government to create "engineer apprenticeships" which in essence was assembly work, but in other words it was just a cheap labor ploy as no 2 people where on the same salary bar the "apprentices"!!!
After the first 12 months out of 50 us 1 person made it to stage 2.
I do not recommend working there.
Pros
free fruit
Cons
extremely hot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.

52K