Castell Howell Foods Employee Reviews

Strict
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Cross Hands2 January 2019
Didn’t enjoy my time with Castell Howell, this is mainly due to the management team being very disorganised and trying to blame it on the workers instead of taking responsibility.
Pros
Wages and some members of staff
Cons
Long hours, mentally draining and management
Butchers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmarthen2 May 2018
Excellent team spirit and an ideal place for a summer job. Perfect for hard working individuals who are either studying in university/school and are looking for funds to help through the summer months.
Really good
Drivers Helper (Former Employee) –  Carmarthenshire3 April 2018
Enjoyed my experience with Catell howell, everyone is happy and very welcoming. its like a big family everyone is treated with respect and kindness. Great place
Pros
Fun
Cons
long
Great Company
Multi Drop Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Avonmouth, Bristol5 March 2018
I'm a multi drop driver in the Bristol/Avonmouth depot and have been here for just over 3 years. A typical day consists of starting at 05.30 am and taking out various food products to an average of about 20 customers. I'm on the same route and same truck every day so I know where I stand. Most days I'm back in the depot for about 1.00 - 2.00pm and its job and finish. Trucks are loaded for us before we come in and unless there are problems then you feel like your own boss. Most of my customers know me really well by now and I get anything from 10-15 free teas or coffee's most days and the odd sandwich here and there. They also provide ongoing CPC free.
Pros
job and finish
Cons
èarly start and a fair amount of paperwork
Hard working environment
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire1 March 2018
Working in warehouse size freezer in temperatures that can go as low as -30 degrees wasn't a very suited for me. Co-workers often shunned at me because I had to finish earlier than anyone else due to me working part-time. But some co-workers were very fair and nice towards me. I did have some extensive training so I was all ready for work on my own.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Cold Nights
Great work place
Stock Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire18 February 2018
Amaizing pay, really nice people to work for, all staff are great workers and the management are awesome they make shure everybody’s safe in the workplace and makes shure everybody’s treated fairly
Pros
Good staff to work with, good management, great customer service
Cons
Long hours( which is the same everywhere)
Better places to work
Class 2 HGV driver (Former Employee) –  Avonmouth, Bristol28 November 2017
It is a Welsh company that seems to put more into their own and not the company as a whole. Bristol depot is looked down on as dirt although without them they would not have the success they currently brag about.
Constantly making changes that draw money back from their workforce so end up paying you less, more and more work is expected with no thanks. If your face fits you get an easy ride, if not you know about it.
Pros
Christmas function, bonus
Cons
most of the people you work with
Hard work but well rewarded
HGV Class 2 Driver (Current Employee) –  Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire14 November 2017
First few months were really tough, quite intense and the early starts are a killer when your not used to them. Used to it now and generally I think they are a good company to work for, decent pay and a few nice perks here and there. Management are ok and are fairly helpful, as are most of the guys working there, made some new friends and enjoy a bit of banter with them most days.
Pros
Out on the road you feel like your own boss
Cons
Early starts and the rain
From good to bad.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire3 November 2017
When I started working for the company they cared about the staff. It was busy but manageable. The managers had a good relationship with staff and overall it was a happy place to work, however i believe they have grown far too quickly and employed people in key jobs who not up to the task. This has resulted in a feeling distrust throughout the company and a very unpleasant atmosphere.
Pros
Christmas bonus
Cons
Managers/no progression
Enjoyed at first and went downhill fast
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol24 September 2017
Worked as a class 2 driver and all was fine, good people to work with, good banter etc but over time changes were being made and eventually the job was not worth doing for the poor pay you get. They used to help out if you had problems but only think of themselves now, care more about profit than staff. The hardest workers got more and more work with no thanks and the shirkers get it easy.
Pros
Christmas bonus
Cons
Management, reps putting more on you weekly, no longer job and knock, continuous lies
Drivers Mate (Former Employee) –  Llanelli3 August 2017
As a part time worker you received calls for work late at night and were not informed until the day before what shift you were on, I enjoyed meeting new people.
Productive and fun workplace
Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire1 June 2017
The hardest part of the job was the early starts, usually between 4 and 5 am if you're delivering but warehouse jobs usually start at 7. The most enjoyable part of the job was the occasional 1pm finish.
Pros
Job and finish
Cons
Long hours certain days, early starts.
Hard work but well rewarded
HGV Class 2 Driver (Current Employee) –  Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire18 January 2017
I've been here a few years now and would say they are great employers. A nice Christmas bonus and a good staff purchasing scheme is also a nice perk. My initial training was very comprehensive and generally the management are very helpful. Even though they are a large company, you can always speak to the bosses and owner if you need to. They also quite often give staff tickets to watch the Scarlets !! Most of the boys are really good to work with and help each other out when they can, and a lot of my customers really look after me with food and drink.
Pros
New fleet of trucks and help when you have a heavy/busy day. Decent bonus scheme for safe driving.
Cons
early starts and quite a physical job
Great work team
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Carmarthen7 November 2016
Great work culture but in my opinion too many chiefs. Poor attitude from managers to staff. The benefits and opportunities are great and the owner is a great guy, your are expected to work hard but this is justly rewarded.
Pros
Cons
Too many managers who think they are far superior to staff
Great company to work for!!
LGV 2 Driver (Current Employee) –  Bristol21 July 2016
I good company to work for, they do NOT require 2 years experience. They also pay for your ongoing CPC.

Co-workers are mostly ok. Management are helpful.

Typical day is carrying up to 3 tons of food in to various customers.
Pros
Home by 2:30pm most days
Cons
Lots of manual carrying to some tight locations
Busy but enjoyable work place
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Carmarthenshire26 May 2016
I enjoy the collegues i work with, the staff are all very friendly and are willing to help how ever they can.
A typical day at work i normall begin my day at 4.30 and arrive home around 3-4pm. I take a few tonne on the vans and alot more on the lorries.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being out and being able to interact with many different people all day
Pros
Christmas bonus, discounted foods
Cons
long unsociable hours, dont know your shift until the night before
good group of boys to work with
HGV Class 2 Driver (Current Employee) –  Cross Hands, WLS26 October 2015
good group of boys to work with. company is really good but management is not very good at sorting day to day work out. would like to find a job that i can now where i stand if i have work the next day to day basis.