Cash Converters

Cash Converters Employee Reviews for General Assistant

It's ok.
Retail. I don't complain or moan about work and jobs. But when your shift starts at 9:00 and you HAVE to be there for 8:00 to "set" things up, it annoyed me a little. Good enough place to work when you have a good team. But the hours were long and the work was grueling adding to the stress of working on personal and store targets.
Pros
Good team.
Cons
Long hours. Silly starting and finish times.
Avoid
Stressful and unsafe environment. You get all kinds of behaviours and the managers couldn't be bothered about it. Short breaks for the hours worked. No benefits.
Greedy crooks/cons
Do not work in this business totally immoral lazy greedy stealing management and owners, supprised these businesses are allowed to run!! So much promise and offers and benefits at interview, worked there for months but never saw a bonus, minimum wage lots of work non-stop, management absolutely useless they sit eat drink and get big discounts, customers gets big discounts as an employee you’ll be lucky to get a decent discount, mostly drug users and sellers nasty customers with smelly dirty goods to sell deprived customers get conned
Salary brilliant, staff management not so
I worked there and one thing you have to abide by is that you and your family and friends can't buy or sell from or to the store. I bought an item, at full cost along with a few other items at full cost. A member of the staff decided to allow the sale and then report it to hr. 2 weeks after buying said items I was invited to a disciplinary and dismissed. All for buying an item!! The salary is great, some staff are tolerable but overall for a long term career then it needs revamping.
Avoid Stockport Branch
Stockport branch is a revolving door.
Since I started in the space of 5 months 2 members of staff left and the assistant manager left and the manager. The current manager does not know how to speak to or treat staff members. Also the manager has her cousin working there and if they do anything wrong that gets ignored and gets special treatment while others get yelled at and sometimes in front of customers and made to feel like nothing. You call in sick for a legitimate reason and you are made to feel guilty for not turning up. You never ever finish for 6pm you are there for sometimes 7pm and are not paid for it. When certain staff are off she then slanders that person for whatever reason possible. The place is toxic and I do not recommend working for that store. The pay is good but not for what you have to put up with on a day to day basis. You are made to feel like you are a slave and an octopus with the amount of jobs people are expected to do. If you try and raise an issue with your area manager you don’t really have time to deal with the problems face to face as 1 the area manager is busy and 2 you don’t have any time to leave and talk to the area manager because your manager has given you tasks to do and if they aren’t completed you will get shouted at and again made to feel incompetent. There was an incident where there was a discrepancy and it was not investigated properly and were told that whatever the amount was that you had to pay it back out of your own pocket which is illegal. All in all don’t work for them ever especially the Stockport store.
Terrible upper management, unrealistic targets, not great for women
Where do I start?

First of all, the targets this company expect you to achieve on a weekly basis are absolutely laughable, with no real incentive (a bonus, which in my year of working there, no one seemed to get other than the managers). The only real incentive to hitting your targets, was that you got to keep your job, which we were constantly threatened with.

Upper Management are very rude and like to show their 'importance'.

Monthly 1-1 meetings left you feeling worthless and unappreciated, even if you were hitting your targets. Morning meetings; never any positive comments, only focused on the negatives and put everyone in a foul mood for the rest of the day.

Very male orientated environment, I was told they don't hire many women, as they 'cause too much drama'. Constant 'banter' and derogatory comments were made on a daily basis about staff and customers. Everyday you would get blamed for something new.

I'd avoid this company, especially this franchise, it will wear you down and it could honestly make a saint swear.
Pros
Made some good friends
Cons
Long days, constant lad banter, the franchise.
Fun, Rewarding, Hard work!
Hard work but very rewarding. The pay, hours and job security are good. I enjoyed the training program they had in place and the rewards that came with it.

The atmosphere was great and everyone i worked with got along and had a good time, which made a refreshing change from other places.
Pros
Appreciation, its nice to be a name not a just a number
Cons
Sometimes out late if tills dont balance
Good job security
Ok place to work although it is busy and does take a lot of your energy to work there not much work life balance but a good team to work with better for people without family commitments.
Pros
wage
Team workplace
A normal weekday can be quite quiet however, on a weekend is our busiest time. You meet lots of new people from different backgrounds and cultures and the job can be quite rewarding. There is always the possibility of over time and management do get stuck in and try and help you out.
Pros
Able to meet new people
Cons
Can be a long day when there arent many customers
Okay
The job at its core will make the time just fly by, but i can only speak for the store i worked at as they are franchised and not corporate owned so each store follows a basic set of rules but everything else is up to the franchisee.

On a normal day (dependant on where you live) you may/will come into contact with disgusting argumentative and just down right horrible "customers" with the majority of these so called customers being the local alcoholics/druggies that feel like theyre entitled to be superior to you.

But you will get the little glimmers of nice people come into the store that will thank you endlessly.

at the end of the day you need real tenacity grit and PATIENCE because this job will wear even the most nicest human down
Pros
maybe the your co workers
Cons
long hours, customers
productive and fun work place
it was a fun and easy goin place to work at. i have learned and developed new skills like testting jewellery and appliances,negotiating techniques when buying and selling also i had to do the webshop and amazon listings and manage the orders.the management was verygood was always willing to help with my development. as it was my first time working outside of london my collegues ensure that settled in ver quickly and felt comfortable.
Employment Law is there to be trampled, No perks and excessive hours.
Just Don't! This is not for people who have any kind of social life or family. The hours are high for the type of job it is and the perks are literally zero. Management spout company policy but trample your rights at every opportunity because everybody is to afraid to speak up for themselves. You never finish at your contracted time. Staff banter is used as an excuse by management for being rude or offensive but when the roles are reversed they act like children. bonus is rarely paid even if earned, which in itself is often hard to achieve as targets are made up from head office using make believe figures. Management all seem to have received their training from the inside of a cereal box. Again, Just Don't!
Pros
Home time
Cons
The job.
Not good
At the time I was young as was used as a dogs body so to speak, I wasn't utilised to my abilities as was made to do all the worst jobs within the store. The staff wasn't friendly either.
Pros
Cons
no support
Good workplace
I enjoy my job at cash converters, the pay is not bad and I enjoy the fact that you never quite know what you're going to experience in a day because everyday presents new challenges.
Apprenticeship
Typical day staff brief in morning figures ect. then general jobs such as open shutter, put money in the till, check for online sales, turn tv's on and clean the area. The rest of the day involved serving customers, helping them find items, putting stock on display and re organising different areas as wells as keeping stuff clean. At the end of the day close the shutters, turn the till off, clean the glass, hoover, turn tvs and lights off then get ready and go home.
i learned how to do sales and to interact with people and hold a conversation while remaining professional. I gained money handling experience and dealt with difficult customers.
Pros
friendly and always learning new things
Cons
moving stores and not enough money
great job
hands down the best job i have had to date, fun active work with something always to be from buying and selling with customers to sharing lifelong memories with the other staff and customers.
good
Pleasure to go into work every day, friendly staff and excellent office/facilities. Large team where everyone got on very well.
customers made my day
customers were the only enjoyable part of the day. staff were stuck up rude and only in it for themselves. "manager" was getting staff in and out of the door constantly. they say you get bonus. never did i see this once despite constant over achieving. waste of time even applying for this job. lunch is half an hour, then whilst on shop floor youre pressured into jumping onto every customer that walks through the door. personally giving the customer a horrible shopping experience
Pros
customers are lovely
Cons
terrible managment, bad pay, no progression, lack of training and responsibility
Fun
I am currently on a designate assistant manager course to help run stores when I complete my training and exams, I currently open and close my Redcar store as well as run the shop on a day to day basis on the managements days off which entails cashing and opening tills, ensure daily counts on jewellery and mobile phones are completed and correct on a morning and evening to provide security in the work place, I like merchandise the store daily to look its best for the customers, I also buy items from customers as well as sell items, my main focus it to get money in the tills to help the company progress and to help staff members hit their daily/weekly targets with the training they need. I’m also responsible for contacting suppliers when stock is need as well as transfer stock to other stores. I also do pawn broking within the company. all staff are friendly and great to work with.
Cons
long shifts
good place to gain retail experience
Great place to work because every day is not the same. Really enjoyed to be part of my team as they are very supportive and fun to be around.
It is very challenging and exciting environment to be in because you learn new things as you go.

The hardest things that you can face in this job are very angry and aggressive customers but as you experience more you learn how to stay calm and handle situation professionally.
Pros
learning about new technologies
Cons
can get very stressful
only thecustomers make the job enjoyable
The customers keep me there, to get to management you need to be a yes man, they dont care about staff. Profit is more important. you are expected to jump through hoops for minimum rate, they say you get bonus but its very rare, Head office are a waste of time, if you complain. Its there way or the highway.
Pros
great customer relations
Cons
poor pay