Cartrefi Cymru

Cartrefi Cymru Employee Reviews

United Kingdom66 reviews
I've been working for Cartrefi for about 5 years at supported living. Started With a different company and then Tuped over . So far it's been the best work experience in social care industry for me. The reason is because I've been treated with respect by management, there is good teamwork and service users appreciate my work and I feel privileged to be part of their life. My rota and shifts pattern suits perfectly my preferences. There can be unsociable hours but what job isn’t these days, but you know what you’re getting into. Every day is different as you never know what you might be dealing with on said day. We are currently working through the pandemic of Covid19 which can be challenging but we are well supported and provided with relevant PPE to carry out care safely for Service users and staff. I am so proud of the work I do. I feel so disheartened Some colleagues, these are the individuals that try and pull the teams down and are so negative. honestly the only thing that is a negative about working for Cartrefi is a shift with these people constantly moaning, whatever the company do, it’s never good enough.The staff turnover is so low in the houses I work in, which I feel shows what a great company it is to work for and what a fantastic job it is. Pay is low but this is as a result of government funding. Let’s hope the pandemic puts more value on all roles in social care and funding improves. However we’re not in it for the money.
Pros
Varied shifts and responsibilities
Cons
Low pay for level of responsibility
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.
Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too, so it's good to hear your positive comments and that you feel that your work is rewarding. It has certainly been very challenging at the moment but our Support Workers have been working tremendously well to support the people we support and ensure they stay safe but still have enjoyable times.
Some great service users but unfortunately it’s the management that leave a lot to be desired here.
There is no real team work as members of staff are placed in each service to spy on any mistake you make and to report back.

Staff are just left to get on with it until of course a mistake is made. Asst managers are responsible for everything.

When Cartrefi get a bad review they keep saying to report it to senior management who are just as toxic!

Welll if you pay peanuts you will get monkeys!

What you olacexa review Cartrefi always say well, why didn’t you report it?

If you pay peanuts unfortunately you will attract monkeys I guess!
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.
It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management team were not supportive. With the work that we do, it is important that our employees are aware of what constitutes back practice and report it so that we can safeguard vulnerable individuals. That isn't "spying" but ensuring the people we support are well supported and safe.

With regards to pay, unfortunately that is a constant challenge but that is sector wide, not just Cartrefi. Implying that we employ "monkeys" is disrespectful, inappropriate and unhelpful.
An overall good company to work for. A very rewarding job which can be challenging at times. Full training given with access to obtaining qualifications in social care. Responsibilities are to support adults with learning difficulties to lead a full and happy life by helping them be part of the community and to support them with shopping and household tasks, keeping in touch with

frfriends and family
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.
Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too, so it's good to hear your positive comments and that you feel your role is rewarding. As you indicate, fully paid training is also offered which provides the opportunity to progress a career in care.
Very rewarding job. Majority of staff were great who put in 100% and genuinely cared about providing the best care and support .Some staff had poor attitudes and were disrespectful on times to other staff.the management and service users which was frustrating and disappointing.Good mananagment and communication.Great training. Nowhere near enough staff. Some very long shifts. would recommend as a good company to work for
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too, so it's good to hear your positive comments and that you felt your time with us was rewarding.
I enjoyed working with the service users it was very rewarding, however the bad practices from management were unbearable i.e bully tactics, favouritism, breach of confidentiality and all round unprofessional. Im surprised higher management have not looked into this further as excellent members of staff have left or felt bullied out by the managers and it’s a real shame for the service users who are being subjected to a high staff turnover.
Pros
Service users
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too. It is disappointing to hear that you were not supported by management and it is something that we will look into further.
Good job so rewarding liked working with the service users and had good staff team but due to over worked under paid and under appreciated especially with the hours we eas expected to work very poor management and the way staff was spoken to by management caused a number of staff turn over. Management let's this company down so much.
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

It was good to hear your positive comments and that you felt your time with us was rewarding. It's a shame that you felt you were not appreciated by management and we will look into this further
I worked with such an amazing team however management was far from professional and very hard to communicate with. The ladies we supported were nothing but joy but would give serious thought in to this career as you have no home life, work a lot of long hours and is very hard to stay emotionally detatched
1 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.
It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management hard to communicate with and you decided to leave us.

The work we do can be challenging and sometimes long hours are needed but we do offer alternative shifts to balance these out. The work however, is very rewarding and enables people to make a difference to people we support.
I worked every Sat 10am-10am Sun for a lady with learning disabilities in her own flat. Sometimes shift was perfect
Other times problems arose. She was very minipulative and played staff off.

Training very extense and manager always at other end of phone

Saying that I enjoyed my time with Cartrefi..
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.
Supporting people to live independently is what we are all about. It's good to hear that you felt the training we provide was comprehensive and that you were supported by your manager.
Excellent service , though not child friendly hours. Lots of training required and nvq level 2-3. Managers can be hard to get hold of when needed. I'd recommend this job to people who have no ties at home .
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

We do provide extensive training, most of which is now mandatory as well as the opportunity to obtain qualifications so hopefully this provided opportunities for you to learn and develop whilst you were with us.

We do offer flexible working where we can but as we provide support to individuals who have varying different needs, sometimes that doesn't always fit with an employee's requirements. However, we will always try and reach a mutual agreement.
First started at Cartferi and loved every second even the wage being poor, management were amazing to begin with, but once you've been there for a while they soon stop trying to help and turn their back on you. While working for Cartrefi I suffered with mental health, they knew about this the whole time, but were quick enough to get rid of me, but waited until they had enough staff to cover the shifts.my hours went down from 5p+ a week to 16 a week with no explanation, then they let me go. I was good enough to cover for them when there was sickness but when it came to mental health they couldnt give a hoot. Would avoid like the plague unless you like being treated as literally, just a number. So much happier in my new job who are very understanding.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management team not supportive of your particular circumstances. If you were unhappy with the situation, there are other channels you could have used to raise your concerns with senior management/HR or the contactheceo facility which may have been of use to you.
The adults I supported are great to work with. It’s not them you have to worry about.. it’s other staff members and management. Awful company to work for. Long hours, rubbish pay and no praise.
Poor practice from staff and management. I for one, would not place a relative in the care of Cartrefi Cymru
Pros
Great individual to support.
Cons
Management ignore situations to make life easier for them. Poor practise.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management team were poor and not supportive. Our other company reviews show a slightly different picture, with many reviews offering a higher score. If you were unhappy with the situation, there are other channels you could have used to raise your concerns with senior management/HR or the contactheceo facility which may have been of use to you.
I have worked for Cartrefi for over 3 years, it really is a fabulous company to work for. The training is excellent. (Unfortunately the Sickness Policy leaves a lot to be desired!) The people I support are amazing, I honestly love my job however Management do not have our backs at all.

I was recently diagnosed with a Chronic Disease and my Manager will accommodate everyone else's wishes as regards rotas and totally ignores my needs. She started off great but since Christmas has been putting me on shift for 5,6 or 7 days in a row. I don't see why I should leave a job I love. She is just obsessed with getting the rotas done without looking at the bigger picture.

I don't feel the Area Manager is approachable enough to have a chat with.
Pros
£7.50 towards food and drink
Cons
Long shifts
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

Unfortunately like so many other comments on here I was bullied out because I didnt fit the managers mould or click. if something was wrong and I brought it up and reported it I was often told to "be quite and think positive " these managers should not be allowed to work in care! They wont be looked into even when you do report them.
Managers to HR are all a click. Be careful it is toxic at its best!
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

It is a shame to hear that you felt that the management team were poor and did not listen to you. Our other company reviews show a slightly different picture, with many reviews offering a higher score. If you were unhappy with the situation, there are other channels you could have used to raise your concerns with senior management/HR or the contactheceo facility which may have been of use to you.
There are some amazing people employed by Cartrefi Cymru. Sadly many of these amazing people are put under such strain and given so little support that they leave.
Despite the best efforts of HR some people who really shouldn’t be working in social care and do things that would hit the headlines in a National newspaper continue to work with vulnerable people
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt your experience here was not a good one. We do have many people working here who do amazing work and we are very careful to ensure that our employees who support vulnerable people do not put them at risk. In accordance with legislative requirements we do act on inappropriate behaviour to safeguard people and our Care Inspectorate reviews are satisfactory.
Worked here previously full time, since having a child they have been soo accommodating with fitting in my shifts to fit my family life.
All the staff are lovely to work with and it’s such a rewarding job supporting the clients.
4 February 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

It is fantastic that you have progressed your career with us and are really enjoying your experience and feel well supported and encouraged. Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too, so it's good to hear your positive comments.
4 February 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

It is fantastic that you have have rejoined us after having your family and that you feel well supported. Making a difference to the people we support is really important to us but also how our staff feel too, so it's good to hear your positive comments.
Work with a great team.
Good training given.

Some good managers.

Rewarding.

High levels of responsibility.

Minimum Wage.

Can be long working hours. (24Hrs+)
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.
A great place to work with friendly staff and a really good comprehensive training program with specialist trainers Good management and staff support through supervision.
Pros
Choosing hours and training
Cons
Not many opportunities to progress into management.
24 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us. It's great to hear that you felt this was a good place to work and that the training provided was comprehensive.

With regards to progression, we do have a good track record of supporting people to move into management roles but of course, this does rely on vacancies being available and this can often take time and vary area by area across our Company.
Different ways of working with adults with learning difficulties. Supporting individuals with day to day routines and maintaining independence. Currently shifting from supporting individuals in supported living to more domiciliary care. Having to go from supported living to domiciliary care within a period of time where the times are unrealistic and tasks still expected to be carried out,
Pros
no uniform
Cons
work life balance
24 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

We are proud of the way we work with individuals to support them achieve what matters to them and become more independent. That can sometimes be different to the ways in which people have traditionally worked in care. Our policy is not to make staff wear a uniform because that can draw attention to people receiving support.

Unfortunately, the hours can sometimes be long, depending on where you are located, but the role is based around providing support to individuals so sometimes that can happen. Hours are always rota'd on a shift system and regular days off are accommodated.
If you didn’t conform or fit in you were bullied until you left. You would be given too many schemes to manage so you were never going to be able to cope with getting standards where they should be.
10 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

It is a shame to hear that you felt you were made to feel that you didn't fit in.

If you were unhappy with the situation, there were channels you could have used to raise your concerns with senior management/HR or the contactheceo facility which may have been of use to you.

Our Service Managers normally manage between 3 and 4 services with additional support from an Assistant Service Manager when they manage that number. This is not unusual within the Sector.
Working with autisic adults is very rewarding. The shift are very long doing 14 hour days plus a sleepin then be expected to carry on working the next day
12 November 2019
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

It's great to hear that you find working with autistic people very rewarding as we are all about making a difference to the lives of people we support.

Unfortunately, shift lengths do vary from service to service because it will depend on the support provided to the individual but there may be options to change the shift length. You could try discussing working hours with your line manager or indeed give HR a call.
The staff that there been there from the start always stick together they not keen on new staff working there. They do help you out time to time. But they always watching you to see if you done something wrong and tell management on what you did and not yourself
24 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

It is a shame to hear that you felt that way regarding existing staff. Due to the nature of the work and the monitoring required, that can sometimes feel like staff are watching your every move but we do need to ensure that the vulnerable people we work with are supported appropriately and that any issues can be identified and support put in place.