Carmarthenshire County Council

Carmarthenshire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom49 reviews
Productive and fun workplace
Working for Carmarthenshire County Council was a great first job as it gave me regular, good working hours accompanied by a good hourly rate. The working environment is great as my work colleagues were very supportive and helpful, everyone worked well as a team and looked out for one another.
The work was hard but due to having good colleagues and managers, was always made fun.

A typical work day included a number of activities besides being a lifeguard such as cleaning and setting up activities so I was always on my feet.

The work improved my self confidence and ability to take control of situations and believe in myself.

The hardest part of the job was being a swimming instructor as it can be a stressful job when under staffed, however, all of the teachers and lifeguards would work together to overcome any problems.

The best part of the job was the connections and friendships I formed, also the job helped me throughout my final school years and supplied me with the money I needed to get my drivers licence and a car.
Good
Every day is a good day the boys on lorry are all good bunch we all have good laughs some day are grap because rain in hour your wet but then it go faster .
Boring
Full of people who have failed in the private sector and want an easy life. Very slow progress in every aspect of the job which is very demotivating. Severe lack of ambition and proactiveness throughout the department. Good work/life balance due to early finishes and low stress due to low workload and long timescale deadlines. Good place to work if you like a very easy life but the pay is very low
Catering in Education
Very good place to work, short working hours to fit around childcare ect. good pay package to go with it and get all of the school holidays off. flexibility is good for this role incase they need you elsewhere.
Enjoyable but slow!
The council are notoriously slow in everything they do, this remains an issue when working for them.

Depending whether you’re lucky you could attend training for your role immediately or like many, wait months - then waiting to start is another story.

You will not be provided with uniform (which the employer is responsible fo supplying) for a good while.

Management are all lovely, I have not met a single home manager that has a bad managerial attitude, they are all great (from what I’ve seen).

You could work a ton of shifts one week and next to nothing the next.
Good place some work colleagues make it hard
Relaxed environment most of the time ,too much back stabbing and falseness not a good working environment most people unhappy but that's mostly a people issue otherwise be a good place to work
Do not work for this company if your face doesn’t fit your in trouble, more worried about policies and procedures rather than personal, no common sense whatsoever
Enjoyed working there
Careline was a truly rewarding experience of helping people that needed assistance. Very fast pace of working due to the number of calls taken
Out of hours calls for 5 counties covering a large part of Wales.
Awful
Terrible local authority. Managers are self serving bullies who only care about their jobs. Even in the so called "caring professions" the management is appalling.
Supportive employers
Good working atmosphere, supportive senior staff. Good work benefits, secure job, training always provided. Chances to job share or early retirement. All round good employer.
No work life balance
The culture in the council seems positive at first but you will always work second to their agenda even at the expense of your personal life. Some people like it but if you are family orientated it may not be for you.
Fun!
Overall my job was to supervise children on their lunchtimes, making sure they were all safe and accounted for. Most days I would volunteer in a year 1 class which was fun! I helped the children with their work and with day to day activities.
Pros
When you have helped a child learn something new
Local council with good employees but poor management
Management was hands off and did not show great leadership, however the line manager and other staff were great at helping where needed. Varied tasks, fun environment, but emphasis on work. Poor culture outside of work, limited interactions. Budgetary concerns limited advancement within organization, however opportunities for transference to other departments was available and encouraged.
Pros
Good atmosphere, job security, good pension, long breaks
Cons
Poor work-life balance, low culture, little management, budgetary concerns limited advancement and security
Interesting Job but unreliable.
Pay received by tutor relies on attendance of pupil and tutor. It is an interesting job and the hourly rate is good. However, you have to pay for everything yourself, eg, petrol, photocopying and wear and tear of car. After paying for all of this, the hourly rate does not seem that good. Also, it is casual work - ie, no contract.

Pupils can be located anywhere in the county of Carmarthenshire which is geographically big.
Pros
Interesting.
Cons
Unreliable regaring pay.
Poor management
Avoid Ammanford leisure centre management are poor and don't appreciate their staff at all. All they go on about is big changes are coming yet the only thing needs to change is management. Over the years I have seen how bad they can treat staff and some cases it was bad. There is a lot of favoritism there and if you are not friendly with management then you won't get far can't fault the staff brilliant people. Shame management only seem to care about themselves.
Pros
Friendly staff & good pay
Cons
Shift work can't trust manager's
average job
average job not bad to work for if you want extra staff but management saint good and hardly bother with you, just go to work and get on with it,overtime can be good if your a reliable worker
Poor management
Committed a lot of time to working at CCC.
Treated poorly.

Behaviour policy not followed by management

Poor organisation.

Support system very unaffective
Varied
I work with people from varied backgrounds and a variety of skills. My job requires me to have patience empathy knowledge and good humour. I work as a team member and as an individual. The council has many good courses to attend therefore improving my skills.
Pros
Varied meet new people
Cons
Pay could be better.
Amazing!
Carmarthenshire country council are friendly, fun and helpful staff. All staff are easy to get along with and are genuinely seeking you to improve your work place slills.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Stressful work
enjoyable place to work passenger assistant
such a good place to work,no day is the same, the life style balance is good and good rate of pay. I enjoyed assisting the children to and from school.
Pros
good pay
always interesting
An interesting place to work with lots of variety.
Nice colleagues and easy to park close by.

Convenient and clean working environment with lots of amenities on site.
Pros
convenient and friendly
Cons
long hours at short notice sometimes