Carmarthenshire County Council Employee Reviews

Poor management
Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ammanford leisure centre26 November 2018
Avoid Ammanford leisure centre management are poor and don't appreciate their staff at all. All they go on about is big changes are coming yet the only thing needs to change is management. Over the years I have seen how bad they can treat staff and some cases it was bad. There is a lot of favoritism there and if you are not friendly with management then you won't get far can't fault the staff brilliant people. Shame management only seem to care about themselves.
Pros
Friendly staff & good pay
Cons
Shift work can't trust manager's
average job
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire22 September 2018
average job not bad to work for if you want extra staff but management saint good and hardly bother with you, just go to work and get on with it,overtime can be good if your a reliable worker
Poor management
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Burry Port, Carmarthenshire14 August 2018
Committed a lot of time to working at CCC.
Treated poorly.
Behaviour policy not followed by management
Poor organisation.
Support system very unaffective
Varied
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire23 July 2018
I work with people from varied backgrounds and a variety of skills. My job requires me to have patience empathy knowledge and good humour. I work as a team member and as an individual. The council has many good courses to attend therefore improving my skills.
Pros
Varied meet new people
Cons
Pay could be better.
Amazing!
Teaching Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Llanelli8 July 2018
Carmarthenshire country council are friendly, fun and helpful staff. All staff are easy to get along with and are genuinely seeking you to improve your work place slills.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Stressful work
always interesting
CCTV Operator (Former Employee) –  Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire15 December 2017
An interesting place to work with lots of variety.
Nice colleagues and easy to park close by.
Convenient and clean working environment with lots of amenities on site.
Pros
convenient and friendly
Cons
long hours at short notice sometimes
Job security
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire15 October 2017
Fun workplace, always something different. Over 10 years of face to face advice / support for customers. Working in the marketing & media dept. The hardest part of the job is dealing with very difficult customers but I have been on many courses including handling aggression course and feel very confident in those situations.
Pros
Job security
Cons
No overtime, unable to work on a flexible basis.
Teaching is no longer what it used to be!
Welsh Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ammanford, Carmarthenshire2 October 2017
Work / life balance is unhealthy and I don't want to be doing this for another 12 years.
I used to love my job but I no longer find it as rewarding as it used to be. Bureaucracy has had a lot to do with this. Society has changed for the worse - social problems are becoming the norm and challenging to deal with.
The hardest part of the job is trying to keep on top of the workload which seems to increase all the time. For conscientious people like myself, it's impossible to switch off!
The easiest and most enjoyable part of the day is when I'm actually left to teach - it's before and the endless hours afterwards that's the hardest.
I am beginning to question my own personal qualities as unfortunately, the job is now such a thankless one.
Pros
Trying to make a positive enhancement to a young person's life
Cons
Endless marking & paperwork; dealing with increasingly challenging behaviour issues
Overall a very good organisation to work for
Adoption Coordinator & Panel Administrator (Current Employee) –  Carmarthen14 August 2016
With jobs hard to find these days, a job at the council is a good one. The salary is not the best, but that is outweighed by the pension - it is the best you can get (unless you work for the Police or NHS).

I've been very lucky and really have had great co-workers over the years, several of whom I have become friends with outside of work.

Following fairly recent job evaluations, job roles are generally clearly structured.
Pros
Pension, occupational health support, good colleagues
Cons
Funding cuts, salary, managers paid to much in comparison with lower level workers.
enjoyable place to work passenger assistant
Passenger Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carmarthen30 January 2018
such a good place to work,no day is the same, the life style balance is good and good rate of pay. I enjoyed assisting the children to and from school.
Pros
good pay
Flexible workplace
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire20 July 2017
Allow you to work family life around work life good work life balance and look after the members of staff to the best of their ability. A good employer with good opportunities
Interesting Workplace
Modern Apprentice in Business Administration (Former Employee) –  Carmarthen, WLS5 September 2014
My Typical day at work would include collecting and sorting the mail for the entire office and distributing, taking high volumes of customer calls throughout the day with varying complexity some of which could be difficult to deal with. the management was good and co workers were mostly friendly and approachable.
Pros
different challenges throughout the day which kept work interesting
Cons
difficult to get strong support with difficult customer calls
Challenging due to budget cuts
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Llanelli20 January 2017
Loved working here until all the budget cuts came into force, our department was continuingly being moved to different services within the Council. Moral became very low for indoor & outdoor employees. Communication was very poor between different departments overlapping work areas
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor communication & management
Rewarding
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  Llanelli, WLS22 March 2014
Looking after the children in my care. I learnt not to judge people too quickly. Management were too quick to push more children on to yourself which could affect the children already in your care. Hardest part giving the child away but the most enjoyable was knowing they were going to a better home & family.
Pros
Emotional
Cons
Satisfying
Very hard work...
none (Former Employee) –  Llandovery27 April 2017
Worked as a cleaner for 17 years..the line management was great..it was the School which was the problem..it's hard work for not much pay..but good holidays..👍
Good Place to Work
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire21 September 2017
I worked in the tourism and leisure department of Carmarthenshire County Council, the work was enjoyable and varied day to day which made it interesting and challenging and meant there was plenty of opportunity to try new things and gain new skills.
Relaxed and Fun workplace
builders labourer (Former Employee) –  llanelli27 February 2013
A typical day at work, i would be picked up at 7.45am we would then drive to a job that we were given to do and do the job which had to be done in most cases building walls, my job was to then set up the work area and get everything ready, i learened alot in 6months as i was working alongside two expirenced bricklayers who taught me a bit of the trade, the hardest part of the job would have to be during the winter months when it was serously cold and nothing much could get done and the most enjoyable part would be working together with bricklayers to get the job done, overall i loved my time with the council.
Pros
getting picked up in the morning
it involves split shifts
Mobile Supervisor (Current Employee) –  carmarthen, area 25 September 2017
i start quite early, before most schools start, and i go into schools after children finish school. i clean when children go home or before they start.
Pros
early starts
Cons
late finishes
Specialist support worker
PT Specialist Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cemaen Day Centre Coleshill Terrace Llanelli8 April 2015
Providing care and support for adults with severe learning difficulties within a day centre context. Activities would be organised in order to meet service user outcomes and keep them engaged in person-centred activities and interests. Support given with eating, drinking and personal care tasks. Community presence would be encouraged at all times,
Pros
free lunch/tea/coffee breaks
Cons
zero hour contract - unrelable hours
Working day of cctv
CCTV SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  WLS11 June 2015
Day to day running of cctv systems dealing with the general public /police dealing with shoplifters public order offenses road traffic accidents missing persons little ones lost around the town centers pensioners taking a tumble in the towns and directing the right resources to the scene. Was very pleased when all thing came together for a satisfactory ending. New I had done my job right.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Shift working