Carluccio's Employee Reviews

Fun Work Place
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds9 October 2018
A good fun place to work. Salary was not great and is not structured very well. Work/Life balance is OK, but be prepared to work more later shifts than early shifts.
No valué for your efforts
Waiter and do all it’s needed (Former Employee) –  Kingston Bentalls30 November 2018
ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKE IS TO THINK THESE PEOPLE ACTUALLY CARE A BIT FOR YOUR EFORTS. AFTER 3 years waisted in this company i got to the conclusion that it is no different to : Prezzo,Zizzi , Pizza Express, McDonalds.The legacy that poor man Antonio Carluccio left they are crashing it up by employing people which don’t care and people which never stepped in a proper restaurant yo work not even one day . All i can say about this place after that legend of a man died is : RIP Carluccios restaurant .Sad but true .My own experience and there was like that . Your sweat and tear mean nothing to these bunch of people .
Pros
There’s no such things (25 h of work don’t give for much when you have a full time contract )!
Cons
Low pay, inexperienced people employ ed just because is cheap having them
A great place to start for a chef wanting to cook fresh foods to order
Chef/Cook (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire14 January 2019
The job itself was a great place to learn how a kitchen ran for a chef beginning their training, the kitchen ran smoothly and wast overly busy which made it a great starting environment to learn
Pros
Great working enviroment
Cons
A great team to work with
Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlands6 September 2018
A great company to work for, with some great people.
No two days are ever the same with challenges 24/7, love looking after our guests
Great Incentives for the team run by the Managers
Just revisiting team values and cultures
Most enjoyable part of the job is the team we are like a family.
Love working with fresh food.
Pros
Fresh Food & Products
Cons
lots of knowledge needed on the products
Hard, but enjoyable
Barista/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire8 July 2018
Working in a restaurant, any restaurant, is hard work. Usually minimum wage, it's demanding work that can be extremely satisfying. The prospects for advancement are irregular, but they do come around. With the recent financial issues, some branches are closing and there have been a few changes in the way things work. The atmosphere depends much on the clientele, just as much as it does the other staff members.
Pros
Cheap meals, satisfying
Cons
Long days, weekend work
Christmas temp 😢
deli xmas staff (Current Employee) –  cheshire oaks22 December 2018
was taken on as a Christmas temp (suited me as lost last job). the team at Cheshire oaks are great and always happy to help with till issue. i covered the deli and loved meeting people and upselling products comes as 2nd nature to me. managers are really hands on and happy to help out with stock, customers and waiting tablets. rate of pay is good for a temp. staff discounts are REALLY good!! will really miss working here and just wish i could stay. day includes unpacking stock, greeting customers, selling, helping out where needed.
Pros
staff discounts, hands on managers
Cons
customers wasting time lol
Overall Ok
Head Waiter/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St Pancras, Greater London18 June 2018
Extremely unreliable . Used to be a great company to work for but recently they focus more on cutting hours and costs that we only feel like numbers. Used to have staff meals but not anymore. Used to have job security but not anymore
Pros
Cash tips
Cons
Cutting hours
Overworked and underpaid
Sous Chef/Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire7 December 2017
I started here as a sous chef and have also acted as head chef.
Salary is not competitive.
Hours aren't social, 50 hours minimum on a contract for a skilled job (no less, the business will expect you too work upto 70 hours when needed for FREE).
80% of the food is bought in now, it's more of a fast food chain.
Training is non existent, all false messages given to colleagues regarding progression.
Bonus is unachievable.
Pros
Free staff meals 50% discount
Cons
Hours, salary, poorly trained and unskilled staff
Busy but enjoyable
KITCHEN PORTER (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire14 October 2018
Had a fun time, incredibly busy though. Often found there was little time for a breather. Pay was good though and they treat you right. Good for a first time job all the way to more experienced workers.
Best job I've had
Bartender/ Barista (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent21 September 2018
Worked there over the summer in between uni, guaranteed 20 hours minimum, opportunities for more. Staff and managers were super friendly, was honestly like a big family, I was sad to leave when I went back to uni.
Good Energy
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  High Street Kensington Station13 September 2018
Very solid team with an amazing energy,with a very loyal staff and guests.
Simple Italian food but good quality. really busy at some periods.also a retail shop in the restaurant selling product that we use to cook with
Great staff poor managers
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands22 May 2017
Good place to work but very high staff turnover it's been open 2.5 months and they already sacked a lot of people always provided with false promises of advancement and broken promises and if you survive your 3 month probationary period then you're not English. Management very poor always bringing in managers from other restaurants team meeting every week at 7am this is not how to work with the staff who actually work!! They keep lazy staff and sack the hard workers or the workers that disagree with them
Pros
Free meal good banter with staff
Cons
Split shifts long hours unnapreciated
svago in cucina
Cuoco (Former Employee) –  Bristol9 November 2018
lavoro sotto guida di ricette, staff molto simpatico, disponibile e formato da ottimi lavoratori
Coffee
Barista, Bar Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester28 July 2018
Ive learned how to make coffees. Through busy shift you kind of get idea of how this works and how it supposed to be. Hardest part for me was to learn how to make nice coffee, but the most enjoyable part was when you learn hot to do correct way, than it just comes like from hand. :)
Lovely staff amazing benefits but bad management
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands1 September 2017
give you too many hours and pick favourites, As long as your never ill, do your job and never take a holiday they will love you but that's very rare. Everyone leaves eventually
Pros
Amazing tips and benefits
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, hostile management
very busy
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  London9 December 2017
very busy work place and experienced chefs to work with. balthazar has a beautiful menu and great recipes to learn.
good management teaching overall..
Pros
good pay
nice group of people
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire9 June 2018
good to learn new skills and to move up the ladder if you are interested. have nice friendly staff. opportunity's to build new skills or strengthen existing one.
Pros
free staff food
Cons
pay
Very productive
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Kensington2 March 2016
In a typical day of work, I used to work a lot and to serve clients in the best way possible. Clients could ask us to prepare coffee, to pack cakes and biscuits, to cut and pack salamis, cheeses and all the sort of food from our deli counter. Up-selling was really important, and in my occasions my managers told me that my up-selling was really good.
I definetly work a new job, because I've never know how to do a coffee in a bar, or I've never cut a salami before. So it was a very nice experience, in which I've seen that I learn very fast.
What really surprised me was the management. Some managers, in my opinion, didn't work really well. In the opposite hand, some other managers were very great, and I can definetly say that they gave me a very big help many times.
The hardest part of the job was the shift's timetable. During the months I was really good in my job and it seemed to me that the deli manager relied on me too much.
Finally the most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers. The enviroment was really good and I had a lot of fun working with them.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
very productive and a suitable career prospect
Chef (Former Employee) –  London, ENG28 October 2014
even though i enjoyed working there, the kitchen was very small, so during the summer months, the temperature can get preety hot, and the head chef was no different than Gordon Ramsay at times, i was only on minimal wage at the time, £6p/h
i simply could not survive on that, especially having to endure all the abuse, but i did enjoy working there for a period, and knowing that Carluccio was a famous Italian Chef
Pros
Free food, Learned a great deal
Cons
salary, was simply insufficient for me to live on, plus the lack of job security
slow and managed badly
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent8 January 2018
the work place is confusing, a lot of things to do not enough people, management is far away from solving the issues and helping the team,selfish people and terrible team work