Carluccio's Employee Reviews

cristina marino
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham16 January 2018
i love my job because so of my job reason of my life.
I left Italy with a purpose, found a job and create my future.
I love to create in any of my shift, happy memory to my costumers, make them to leave happy and satisfied.
very busy
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  London9 December 2017
very busy work place and experienced chefs to work with. balthazar has a beautiful menu and great recipes to learn.
good management teaching overall..
Pros
good pay
Overworked and underpaid
Sous Chef/Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire7 December 2017
I started here as a sous chef and have also acted as head chef.
Salary is not competitive.
Hours aren't social, 50 hours minimum on a contract for a skilled job (no less, the business will expect you too work upto 70 hours when needed for FREE).
80% of the food is bought in now, it's more of a fast food chain.
Training is non existent, all false messages given to colleagues regarding progression.
Bonus is unachievable.
Pros
Free staff meals 50% discount
Cons
Hours, salary, poorly trained and unskilled staff
Really happy and friendly place good place to work for.
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Ne287eq15 November 2017
Was there for 3 great years happy place good place’ happy team’ learning everyday started off as an Kitchen Porter then moved as an Cheff but learn everyday with amazing chefs who was willing to learn peopll.
Nice place to work but always in a rush
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire24 October 2017
I have worked for this company for couple of years, nice team, nice managerial staff.
As a downside, you work long hours and most of the time , you are in a rush. Minimum wage, completed with tips.
Pros
Free lunches, payed holydays
Cons
Long hours, always in a rush, minimum wage
Fun worlplace ,Young place and always ready to help everybody
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire14 September 2017
Was good experience ,was going very well every body were friendly and ready to help evreyone,like a proper team.
I learned a lot of from they ,I was improving a lot and quick the manager and head chef were saying.
Cons
Lovely staff amazing benefits but bad management
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands1 September 2017
give you too many hours and pick favourites, As long as your never ill, do your job and never take a holiday they will love you but that's very rare. Everyone leaves eventually
Pros
Amazing tips and benefits
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, hostile management
fun place to work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Gloucester Quays, Gloucestershire25 August 2017
i was dealing with customers of all ages, it was a fun place to work, you always have a laugh with the people you work with and the quests. the only bad thing was long hours
Pros
free lunches
Not worth it!
Bar staff (Former Employee) –  Hampshire14 August 2017
Do not work here. You will work long shifts with no breaks (I often did up to seven and a half hours with no break), or you'll work a six hour shift, a two hour break, and then another six hour shift. Most waiters/waitresses are nice, but some and most managers are impatient and rude. When training you they barely help, and get mad if you don't know something even though they haven't told/shown you how to do something. Shifts change week to week so is inconsistent.
Minimum wage does not make up for the amount of work and stress.
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
No break, minimum wage and long shifts.
Friendly work place
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2017
The staff were lovely. The managers made it a good place to work with a great atmosphere. The managers allowed for flexible working hours, so if I had a busy Friday I could organise it so that I didn't have to work on Saturday until the evening.
Pros
Flexible working hours, free meal per shift
Cons
Long hours, short notice for extra shifts
Not recommended
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Bishops Stortford26 July 2017
Not recommended! Working as a kitchen porter, I've cut my fingers to many times because sharp knives were put together with forks and spoons in a bottle by waiters. They don't care about your safety and healthy workplace.
Just a number
Commis Chef / jr sous chef (Former Employee) –  Canterbury25 July 2017
After 5 years as a chef at this chain, it was a wonderful environment to work in and was always fresh good made daily and had the staff when it was busy and until last year that changed and they made us work like animals on low wages and had to triple the workload and food quality has gone down everything in packets now, not a nice company to work for anymore they treat you like a number and don't care about people being over tired due to 6 day weeks avoid this company at all cost not worth your health
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bad pay, low staff when busy
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex17 July 2017
It was fun to work there most of the time. The money was great, but then I can't say the same about the management. I learned how to deal with time pressure and think ahead of time.
Great staff poor managers
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands22 May 2017
Good place to work but very high staff turnover it's been open 2.5 months and they already sacked a lot of people always provided with false promises of advancement and broken promises and if you survive your 3 month probationary period then you're not English. Management very poor always bringing in managers from other restaurants team meeting every week at 7am this is not how to work with the staff who actually work!! They keep lazy staff and sack the hard workers or the workers that disagree with them
Pros
Free meal good banter with staff
Cons
Split shifts long hours unnapreciated
Good company to work for
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire16 April 2017
I enjoyed my time working here, earned good money and was treated fairly. You get daily meals and are generally looked after well. Management has changed since i was there but it was good. Good varience of shifts and flexible hours.
Very bad managment and job culture
Waiter/Barman (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire11 April 2017
Nothing to say. This was a very bad job. Pressure and nonsense together. The GM is over the top. The real focus is on how to fail you before you can get to the 3 month probation period.
Pros
Tips
Cons
no life, pressure, focus on how to fail you before your contract become permanent.
Used to be good now avoid
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Cheshire7 April 2017
The company been sold and then all change! No more real cooking as all comes already made. .. lots of saving on everything made working there really stressful 2 people on close as standard for this company now.
They lost many of good chefs and managers and they will losing more if nothing change
Pros
Tips
Cons
20h contract standby shifts split shifts managers food quality
Empresa Organizada e Dinâmica
Gerente da loja Gourmet (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells. UK24 March 2017
Empresa bastante organozada que facilita os horarios de acordo com as necessidades do trabalhador.
Pros
Fornecimento de Refeiçao. Facilidade do horário de trabalho
Cons
Demasiados Respresentantes e Area Managers
Back to slavery
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Surrey31 January 2017
Horrible company to work for.!!!
As a manager or head chef be ready to work extra shifts per week to cover when collegues are on holidays do not expect any gratitude by the operation manager but kicks in the mouth.
The budget for rota is thight that one shift is like forced labour.
Most of the management is recruited from a long list of ritards their name picked from a hat.
Pros
Good free coffee
Cons
Early grave
workplace ok, fun and good food
Chef (Former Employee) –  London and Nottingham12 November 2016
co-workers from a different country, basically a normal chef job. You can learn something about Italian food if you are not originally Italian. Boss ok, good experience.