Care In Mind

Care In Mind Employee Reviews

United Kingdom41 reviews
Having worked for Care In Mind for just 3 weeks I can only really comment on first impressions. However, those 3 weeks I have been welcomed into the team and feel like I've worked here for much much longer.
Everyone I have met so far from the training process through to working in the house have been incredibly supportive, helpful and are clearly passionate about their work. There is a really strong sense of togetherness within the team, and emphasis is put on working collaboratively to solve problems and get tasks done. I genuinely feel as though there is no problem I could not take to my team to ask for help with.

The shared attitude towards supporting the young people to be as independent as possible is felt throughout the service. I believe that staff genuinely care about the YPs and want to support them to take any opportunities that may benefit them and assist their progress.

I am grateful to work in such a friendly, supportive team and for an organisation that is as pioneering as CIM. I am looking forward to the rest of my career here.
The work place is competitive, they are all out for themselves. No one in Senior or deputy listens to what you have to say as its deemed trivial. Management shouldn't be bothered with things that can be solved by seniors or deputy. The talking behind colleagues back but not telling the true context is another thing what goes on. Favouritism goes on people are leaving as you can't wwindorcertain people are ffavourite
Pros
YP'S are great everyday is different
Cons
Management and colleagues/making inappropriate swipes
3 August 2020
Thank you for taking time to providing your feedback, we are sorry to hear that you felt that there was a lack of equality within this service. At Care in Mind we are committed to supporting diversity and inclusion as we believe this is the right thing to do for our staff and the organisation. We encourage all of our teams to speak openly, to challenge inequality and to celebrate differences. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, ethnicity, disability, age, nationality, national origin, sexuality, religion or belief, marital status and social class.

I would like to take the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. If you can please contact me at the head office and we can help to resolve any concerns you may have it would be much appreciated?

Kind regards

Matthew Fletcher

Recruitment Coordinator
The company is very 'clicky'. If your face doesn't fit then you are made to feel unwelcome. This did not happen to me personally but i witnessed this several times. During my time working for this company the staff turn over was extremely high which in my opinion speaks volumes. Your job is to support the young people and encourage them to live independently to get them ready for moving on except they do nothing for themselves and they practically rule the house and staff.
One of the issues is that the house is usually short staffed and the staff on shift are already burnt out and on top of that there's not much time to spend with the young people as there is too much office work and if you don't complete tasks you receive file notes. Management are always finding fault and will belittle you in front of others. Promotions are usually given to the staff in the click also. Many staff have left due to feeling unsupported by the manager, there have been many complaints made but the company would rather lose good staff than listen to the complaints.

The shifts advertised are not the true shifts worked, they are long 12 hours and then you do a sleep and stay on the following day whether you've slept or not as you could have been up all night to deal with incidents. No one really cares about your own well-being. SHAME on the company. I am happy to have left and will never return even if desperate.
13 July 2020
I am sorry to hear of your negative experience with Care In Mind. As a company we embrace diversity and inclusion and are employees wellbeing is of utmost importance to us. As you are aware we work with the most challenging of young people and we appreciate the role can be difficult sometimes but we are proud of the different support mechanisms we have in place to support our teams. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns further if you could contact me at our head office.

Kind regards

Matthew Fletcher

Recruitment Coordinator
I have been at CIM 10 months and look forward to every day like it's my first day.
I've never felt so supported in the workplace, with exceptional management that are never too busy to listen and are always there to lift your spirits during hard times.

The actual role itself is highly rewarding with wonderful young people that are engaged, thoughtful and caring.

It is definitely more than "just a job: for me, with most days feeling like I have made a real difference.

Sometimes it is difficult and we are faced with tough decisions, but we have an outstanding staff team who support each other 100%.

Care in mind is the best company I've worked for.

With regular supervision, intensive training, caring management, excellent clinical staff and everyone involved in the company.

Its amazing to be part of an outstanding team.
My experience with Care in Mind has so far been great. I was welcomed into the company and given a clear direction of development and career progression. It is a fast-paced business, but every day is different, and I have great job satisfaction.

My job is to ensure all candidates are treated fairly and with respect. Fairer Recruitment is carried out with each candidate and the ongoing engagement is something that makes Care in Mind stand out from competitors.

Each team works so collaboratively together, and it is a pleasure to work in such a professional environment where everybody is there to offer help and support throughout.

I would highly recommend Care in Mind as a service provider and as an employer, the service model is unique, and I find it highly satisfying working for an employer who are helping make positive changes in people’s lives.
Pros
Collaborative coworkers and respectful management
Cons
N/a
Wow is this place clicky! If your not family, a best friend or a distant relative don’t bother.
No compassion for staff under pressure, thrown in with no support and expected to completely know what’s expected with little to no communication.

Managers are keyboard worriers
24 March 2020
Please could you contact me to discuss this further as I do have concerns that as a 'current Residential Manager' you feel obliged to post this review on Indeed rather than discuss this with us. I would welcome the opportunity to hear your views please contact me at Head Office.

Regards

Julie Burton, Head of People.
Put it simply, it’s awful. The stress just isn’t worth it. Bitchiness is unbelievable and nothing is confidential as senior and TL gossip about staff often, and in front of other support workers. The company only care about maintaining this superficial image. The model of care that we work with in theory sounds excellent. The practicality of it is awful! Young people go from being in a hospital setting where they’re fully restricted to the bare necessities for a long time, to then coming out and being given full choice and control over their decisions and actions. I appreciate that if a resident has capacity to make bad decisions, then that’s their choice, but there’s no form of integration in how we can help them with this. You can watch a young person choose to destroy their lives and there’s very little you can do to stop them... often staff are made to feel as if it’s their fault for how the resident has behaved.

You’re treated like dirt by the clinical side, and senior management haven’t a clue what day of the week it is. expect a circus when run by clowns.

Concerns raised go over senior managements head, they only get involved if it’s something negative, or if they need you. your well-being is not a priority to them.

it feels like you trade in being a support worker due to feeling like you’re not being allowed to actually make a difference. If we care, then we’re being told we’re pacifying the residents too much, whereas if we’re too firm and try to implement boundaries or ‘mutual expectations’ then we’re branded as ‘negotiators’ and insensitive.
5 March 2020
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you feel this way and would welcome an opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact me at our head office.

Julie Burton, Head of People
I have worked for Care in Mind for 2.5 years and absolutely love my job. Whilst it is an extremely demanding job that requires resilience and flexibility, it is unbelievably rewarding and an absolute honour to work alongside the young people who we support. I have witnessed how Care in Mind can be a life changing place for both the service users and the staff. However, the role requires us to work with a risk model that can be emotionally demanding. Staff well-being hasn't always been a priority within the company, so I can seriously understand how and why some staff have had negative experiences. When staffing numbers are low, it is difficult to maintain the model effectively, and staff can become disheartened and burnt out. More recently, staff support seems to be being driven in a way where the staff feel more valued. The management team are supportive and listen to the team and their concerns and ideas, and close collaborative relationships between the clinical and residential team help us to feel respected and heard.

The young people are at the core of what we do and I love working within a team with so many people who are passionate about the future of these young people. I have grown exponentially whilst working at Care in Mind, both personally and professionally. The model is unique and I feel inspired by it and proud to be a part of it.
28 February 2020
Thank you for your positive review. As a company we are trying hard to look at new ways to support our staff as we realise the challenges you face so I am pleased these are having an effect.

I hope you continue to enjoy your work with Care in Mind, if you do want to discuss anything further please give me a ring at head office.

Head of People
I have worked for Care in Mind for a while now and it has been challenging and stressful at times. The model is excellent and the wellbeing for the young people and staff is the best I have ever seen. Yes they have problems with staffing and yes sometimes you will question if this is the right job for you but in all honesty it is a great place to work. I don't know any other care provider who have any where near the benefits that are provided by Care in Mind, take the life assurance for example-2 times your salary if you were to die whilst being an employee. I take comfort from this knowing my family will be financially cared for should something happen to me. The holidays are great and the staff support is unbelievable. I think sickness allowance could be improved upon but it is still better than anywhere else I have worked. There are always development opportunities that you are encourage to go for.
It is a tough job and not for the faint hearted and isn't for everyone but Care in Mind is fantastic and I wouldn't work for anyone else.

If you are motivated and really care about making a difference then go for it. highly recommend
31 January 2020
Thank you for your review and your feedback, it's always nice to hear when people are passionate about Care in Mind. We are always trying to look at new ways to improve our benefits .We are reviewing these at present and will take your feedback on board regarding sick pay .

Head of People
I don't work for them and never have but i lived with CIM for 5 years so i thought you might want to hear about what the people you'll be supporting think of the company. They completely changed my life, i didn't make it easy for them at all but they believed in me and never gave up.

If you work for this company you can make a great difference. I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for them.

I grew up in care and lived in over 25 places before being placed with care in mind at 14. I had just come out of a kids mental health ward where i had been for 6 months. I didn't trust anyone and i didn't believe they weren't going to kick me out when they didn't want me anymore. So i tried to make them show that they didn't want me. I pushed the boundries, i didn't follow the rules, i was very difficult, i didn't even speak to them for the first month i was there. But slowly i stopped doing that.

They taught me how to trust, how to have hope, how to believe in myself, how to keep going through the darkness.

When i came to care in mind, everyone had given up on me. I didn't really have a relationship with my family and i didn't have any friends. I didn't have an identity apart from i'm the care kid who's got mental health issues and is difficult. Thats litterally how i would describe myself.

There was a lot of ups and downs in my time there. I was a teen growing up so there was always going to be. Slowly there was more good days than bad. I was spending time with staff, learning to cook, i did my gcses, i was planning my future, doing online courses, applying for jobs, i started
28 January 2020
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It's lovely to hear about how our staff have helped to support you in your journey and fantastic that you have positive plans for the future . Your review will definitely help future Care in Mind employees understand about the amazing work our staff do.

Good luck in everything you do, we wish you all the best.

Head of People
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Care In Mind?
This company appears perfect on paper and the model really could work it’s just a shame about the culture. The staff are over worked and unappreciated, working 24+ hour shifts for little pay. Very uncomfortable clicky atmosphere and unprofessional boundaries. No work life balance as the rotas are not rolling and staff often end up having only 1 weeks worth of rota that has been put out. Management often change your shifts last minute and without consulting you first. 0 staff morale and job satisfaction it’s a shame
I am currently working for Care in Mind and after 7 years working for another care provider, I can honestly say it was the best move that I made. Since being with the company just over 18 months, there has been some fantastic changes which staff members are involved in, views and opinions are always taken on board and I have also received 2 pay rises! Support from line management is of a great standard and managers only want the best from their teams, which then has a positive impact on our young people.

All managers and deputy managers of the home all work together to support each other through difficult and challenging times with the young people and will always be supportive via the on-call service.

Higher management are positive, enthusiastic, want the best for the staff and most of all very approachable.

Care in Mind offer a fantastic training package prior to going into the homes to work and there is a clear guidance of what the expectations are of each job title. Care in Mind have the young people at the forefront of what they do including having a Service User Involvement lead, YP prom, regular mutual help meetings, weekly key working sessions, core teams within the home and monthly meetings with all professionals.

Overall advise would be to join this amazing company with amazing benefits!
Horrible staff, no management support. No senior support complaints swept under the rug. Training was given wrong, staff are too quick to report none revelant information. Bank staff didnt want to be there, other services were reluctant to help due to problematic staff
One thing that I could never deny is the dedication of the workforce across all the services offered and the head office staff. The office environment is friendly, positive and overall an enjoyable place to be during the working day.

However, support for staff whatever it is needs to be improved massively. Whatever the situation I constantly felt unsupported by those higher up. The in-house support needs massive improvements, and employees need to be listened to when concerns are raised by their own experiences, instead of them just being dismissed. The ethos and values all work in principal and on paper but that doesn't necessarily mean they are used in the real world and are implemented to current employees. Some, not all management need to learn how to support their staff with whatever needs or circumstances they have, or working as part of a team won't work if a strong support network in your manager isn't there.

Changes that occur are often abrupt as with any business but they are not communicated very well with staff or communicated at all, even through times of uncertainty which to be honest does impact staff morale and the overall environment to work in. Communication is the one thing that lets the whole company down, it is abysmal. a new key person starts, a certain few know not everyone, someone leaves, no one knows.

Job security is never guaranteed, there are always that many changes happening, no one knows where they are up to, who the manager is, who they report to, who can they communicate with. The lack of development is an issue as well, leaving some
 - more...
I have worked for Care in Mind for 3 and a half years. I have a background in residential care and have worked for several care companies over a 10 year period, with Care in Mind being by far the best. The young people are truly at the heart of all decisions made by Care in Mind and they are afforded the opportunity to live and grow in the community (rather than hospital wards) that would otherwise not be available.
Although there are the usual challenges associated with all care jobs (unsociable hours/lone working at times/weekend work), Care in Mind provide all of their staff with very good training and development opportunities and have an ethos of promoting their staff from within the company to senior positions. The majority of the management team have worked their way up within the company, myself included. The opportunity to forge a good career is prevalent within Care in Mind for those willing to work hard for it and with the correct mindset and attitude of putting the young people's interests first.

As mentioned previously, there are aspects of the job that can be challenging, however; there are some excellent support systems in place such as staff support, supervisions, team meetings, appraisals, etc.

Overall, working for Care in Mind is extremely rewarding. No two days are the same and you get the opportunity to work with some truly unique and amazing young people. I have felt more valued at Care in Mind than any other company I have previously worked for - from both the company and the young people within the services.
Not enough training before starting. Risky. Click place to work. Not looked after staff.
All about the money. Consultant gives no eye contact to patients.
Care in Mind isn't always perfect, but no care company is. Working with vulnerable service users is difficult and there are many factors that make this role challenging.
What I have personally found in my time at Care in Mind is that the company is supportive of both young people in their services and of the staff. The days can be challenging, with a lot going on as its a fast paced service that deals with risky young people, however in my experience the training provided and the induction process is more thorough then most care company's. The organisation takes the time to put staff through a specialized training process before starting shifts in the homes. This provides good knowledge of the service and the model of working, as well as giving new starters first hand examples of the work in the homes before they are having to carry out any direct work with service users. The training is fun, informative and supportive.

I have worked with Care in Mind for a number of years after doing a degree in Social work, and have had work experience in various other services before coming here. This is one of the better company's I have worked for that offers the staff a remarkable level of support in dealing with such a difficult job, whether this is staff support, reflective practices or 1:1 supervisions. I have always felt I have been provided with support, and if this isn't offered then everyone in the company is approachable enough that I can seek this if it is needed.

I have had various roles and positions at Care in Mind, starting in a support worker role and working my
 - more...
Care in Mind really cares for its staff. I've not been here long and It is hard work at times and fast paced but the staff make a great team and management is very supportive. A typical day could include taking young people to appointments or to do their daily shop. Look after the day to day running of the house and keeping up to the cleanliness. The hardest part of the job is when there is an incident as these can be difficult to manage etc but staff are all there for each other and you get regular supervision with management to debrief and have support. I really feel like I make a difference and am listened to. The most enjoyable part of the job is in the evening when everyone sits together to prepare and eat a meal, the service aims to create a homely feel for the young people in their care
Each home is different, each home has the same end goal but each manager approaches things in a manner that works well for them. The young people are at the heart of the company. Every Care company operates the same way long hours, make changes, you lone work, work with risk the senior managers are amazing, you are listened to and The service has come a long way in a short space of time. People dont like change but need to embrace it.
Positives:

Learning opportunities

Fair pay & benefits

Fantastic induction & ongoing training

Advice to potential candidates:

A lot is expected of you at times (which comes with the nature of the role!), however the good outweighs the bad in abundance and I would be nit picking to find a fault in the company. There will be hard times on shift and times when you need a break, but if you speak to management and share your position, you are exceptionally well taken care of.
The company does not care about you. Inhuman hours and dangerous. I worked with a yp who was allowed to scream, swear, abuse and threaten staff 24 hours continuously, then head office coming in after a good night sleep to tell us off for not doing our jobs properly with them! Not even looked in staff’s direction who would have been exhausted and traumatised, let alone support! Highly unsafe, both physically and especially mentally. They quietly sack you without notice and without any chance to say bye to the yps. Then the yps blame staff who abandon them and are affected by it. Again the company does not care about them either.