Care In Mind Employee Reviews

Fantastic company with excellent management & career opportunities
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester24 September 2019
Positives:
Learning opportunities
Fair pay & benefits
Fantastic induction & ongoing training

Advice to potential candidates:
A lot is expected of you at times (which comes with the nature of the role!), however the good outweighs the bad in abundance and I would be nit picking to find a fault in the company. There will be hard times on shift and times when you need a break, but if you speak to management and share your position, you are exceptionally well taken care of.
Horrendous work place, better go on benefits
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire20 September 2019
The company does not care about you. Inhuman hours and dangerous. I worked with a yp who was allowed to scream, swear, abuse and threaten staff 24 hours continuously, then head office coming in after a good night sleep to tell us off for not doing our jobs properly with them! Not even looked in staff’s direction who would have been exhausted and traumatised, let alone support! Highly unsafe, both physically and especially mentally. They quietly sack you without notice and without any chance to say bye to the yps. Then the yps blame staff who abandon them and are affected by it. Again the company does not care about them either.
Amazing company
Annonymous (Current Employee) –  Annonymous7 August 2019
I dont really know where to start with all the positive things that go on in the houses. Each manager is different however they all have their own approach but the same end goals which is to support young people to achieve their potential. The rota has improved massively, the culture has changed massively and the management team have changed massively.

challenges
Pros
Staff support, reflective practice, management that listen. Pay and benefits are great.
Cons
Negative attitudes and reviews that spoil the ethos and hard work of the company.
8 August 2019

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It is great to see you enjoy your role and that the changes we are making to support our staff are having a positive impact.

Head of People

Unsafe for staff and service users
Team Leader/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire16 July 2019
Staff are put in incredibly unsafe and compromised positions without sufficient training and guidance/support.

A typical day at work could include spending meaningful support time with service users and feeling a sense of satisfaction from this. or i could include working alone in stressful situations with no meaningful support from the team, being expected to spend hours past your allotted shift time as you can't leave the YP alone in this situation, and little to no communication about whether you are going to be relieved, as well as receiving attitude from your direct supervisors for expressing any annoyance at this.

Other things you might encounter:
-Management who do not care about your experience or your needs to be supported in the role
-ou will be expected to somehow work 24 hour plus stretches despite physical exhaustion.
-No supervision at all, no opportunity to debrief or reflect.
-a lot of pressure to cover shifts that aren't your responsibility. New staff often pick these up at first as they feel the need to make a good impression, you will be taken advantage of.
-Lone working often in very dangerous circumstances
-High risk, high responsibility, low pay
Pros
Some of my team were lovely people with great intentions
Cons
Most of their practices are unsustainable for staff morale/mental health
17 July 2019

Thank you for leaving a review.

In response to your comments all staff receive supervision 4-6 weeks alongside staff support and reflective practice. Staff also have appraisals . I am sorry if you did experience this whilst working for Care in Mind and would like to discuss this with you to gain some feedback.

Care in Mind have increased pay rates significantly over the past couple of years and we are now proud to be a Living Wage Employer, paying above the minimum wage with pay rates starting at £9.00 an hour for everyone.

The staffing teams in Yorkshire have also increased significantly in the past 12 months to ensure that we have enough staff to cover absence/holidays but I am sorry you felt put at risk and again would welcome a discussion.

Again I would like to discuss this further so please do not hesitate to contact me at our head office.

Julie Burton, Head of People.

Fantastic place to work
Head Office (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester2 July 2019
I have worked for Care in Mind for over two and a half years and I can honestly say it's been the most rewarding and inspiring place to work. Despite what the other reviews say there is a great culture where all staff's passion for helping our young people achieve positive outcomes shines through. Staff development plays a massive role in how the company works and managers work with you to support you to be the best at what you do. There are loads of support networks for staff such as staff support, reflective practice and an employee assistance program.

I've loved every minute of working for Care in Mind and couldn't recommend it highly enough.
Lovely place to work despite what other reviews say
Support worker (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom30 June 2019
I have worked for Care in Mind for around 6 months now and can honestly say I’ve never experienced anything like what the other reviews are stating... our management team are amazing and would do anything to ensure staff welfare is a top priority. Our team work great together and ensure there is a balance between paperwork and spending time with the young people and that everyone gets a fair part in each. The young people are great and respect us as staff. There are endless opportunities to do your hobbies too, because you are always doing activities with the young people then they love to try new things and love to do pretty much anything! The pay is fairly good, however after cutting weekend overtime rates this has a major impact on monthly wages. For a job that requires little to no experience it’s great for starting out and it teaches you so much. There are also really good progression opportunities within the company. All the houses are very different and you can tell from speaking to on call that some managers offer more support than others.
Overall it’s lovely working for this company and I go to work every day excited to see the young people!
Pros
Lovely young people, great residential and clinical management, loads of activities!
Cons
No weekend overtime rate anymore, can often be overworked and under appreciated by head office
17 July 2019

Thank you for your review and feedback. It is great to hear that you have the values and ethos that makes Care in Mind a great place to work .

Do not work here!!!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire19 June 2019
I worked over a few locations for around a year and a half, the philosophy behind care in mind is brilliant. However it is not practised. Staff and young people were put in very dangerous positions, lack of supervision and felt a bit like the blind leading the blind at times.

I would think really carefully about applying for a job with this company as they have no regard for you as staff and will send you all over the country at the drop of a hat, make you do ridiculous hours and put you in dangerous positions.
26 June 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you have had a bad experience. We really value our staff and always aim to provide a high quality and supportive service for our employees and young people. I would like to take the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. If you can please contact me at the head office and we can help to resolve any concerns you may have it would be much appreciated?

Hannah Langton
HR Adviser

Mixed bag really
Staff (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester7 May 2019
I have had some good experiences in achieving positive outcomes for young people but have also witnessed staff threatened and intimidated by young people- unfortunately they do rule the houses.

In regards to staff, i am lucky to work with a fantastic team in the house and although we lost good staff along the way there is a culture of genuinly supporting and caring about each other. Unfortunately this is not always reflected in approaches from some management.
Due to poor staffing, current staff are bullied into working excessive hours with little to no relief and when they challenge, often this is dismissed or staff feel intimidated- a big factor in high staff turnovers.

Also there is a on call system in place. This doesnt work well. Often managers will refuse to enter a service even if the service is in crisis leaving staff and young people in vulnerable situations.

When it comes to progression there is a "face fits" culture and also with the recent restructure has come the difficulty to progress full stop.

Unfortunately on paper they are good to work for as is the model they work too, however in practice this isnt the case for everyone.
Pros
Genuine team within the home i work
8 May 2019

Hi there,

I am sorry about the problems you are experiencing at present. Care in Mind has a zero tolerance on bullying and I would like to opportunity to speak to you about your concerns raised.

Please would you be able to contact me at head office and I would be happy to speak to you in confidence about this and hopefully provide some solutions and support.

My experience so far
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside31 March 2019
I’m fairly new to CIM, however I have been in this line of work for just short of a decade. The house I work in is really good at the moment, manager and deputy are brilliant and efficient, and my colleagues are amazing! We aren’t at full capacity yet for residents so it’s a bit quiet. I know each house is different, but the service I work at is generally positive. My only niggle would be that because CIM don’t use agency, you can be called out to travel many miles to another service, I think it would be in CIMs best interest to employ more bank staff for this role, as it really isn’t fair on staff having to travel 40-60miles to another service.
Pros
The jobs itself is amazing, and the pay is not bad for a support worker
Cons
Being called out to other services, 7am starts.
Avoid at all costs!
Mental Health Support Worker (Former Employee) –  West Yorkshire28 March 2019
Awful place to work, no support from managers, team leaders talking about staff to support workers behind their backs, trying to cause drifts between people. YPs rule the house, management have no consideration for staff welfare. Left lone working and put it dangerous situations with YPs. Put on 24 hour shifts despite me making it clear I was in education. Expected to work 7am-8am the next day, getting bare minimum sleep because of incidents, no experienced staff to help out at night just agency who sit on the office with tea and their feet up, providing no support, and I’d still have to go to uni 6 hours a day on 2 hours sleep (if that). Expected to support at other houses at a moments notice, drive, here there and everywhere, I even got woke up from a sleep to go support another house at 1.30am after working 7am-11pm
That day! Company is ridiculous and so is the way they treat their staff. Training is paid which is the only good thing about this company, but still having to travel to Manchester and back twice a week for 3 weeks for it is not ideal.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
Everything else!
Most rewarding job i've ever done
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  West Yorkshire6 March 2019
Safe to say this is the most rewarding but challenging job i've ever done. Working therapeutically will not be for everyone and the young people we work with can be very challenging, however from seeing how a YP can progress from transition to leaving us is fantastic and the most rewarding part of the job. You do need to have a bit of something about you and be tough emotionally as you build a very different relationship with the YPs and your team. If you are a very sensitive emotional person the this may not be the job for you.
Endless activities with YPs and the role is really what you make it. Care in mind can create fantastic teams and friendships. The rewards for staff and skills learnt from the YPs alone make the job worth while.
Staff retention at times is not great. Some staff find the job overwhelming and can find it hard to switch off. There are long hours and at times periods of high stress and expectation The job itself is what you chose to put in it. If the team aren't giving it their all and working together it can be challenging.
I personally love my job and the vision and values Care in Mind hold and embrace the challenges with passion.
Pros
NVQ's staff support reflective practice
Cons
At times high staff turn over if this style of work doesn't suite
18 March 2019

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are working hard to improve the retention rates and implement new initiatives to support our teams. If you have any further feedback you would like to discuss on a 1-1 basis with myself please do not hesitate to contact me.

Julie Burton, Head of People

Fantastic....when it's all running smoothly.
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester20 February 2019
I have been working at Care in Mind for two years and although at times it can be frustrating and difficult, I do really enjoy it.

In regards to my role, it is really varied which I love and there are lots of opportunities for progression. I feel really appreciated, and this is clearly communicated to me is reflected in the pay. I have an incredible manager, lots of support, I think the holiday allowance is good (sick pay could be better/ in line with NHS) and I have never worked in a place where the company directors are so open, warm and really approachable. I really like and respect the people I work with.

It’s a busy service so that can mean that there are changes and decisions made which can feel abrupt, but I think communication is something which massively lets the service down. Some decisions don’t make sense and sometimes as a staff member you are expected to go along with it, however, I have found that there are opportunities to voice your concerns and these are listened to.

What makes me feel most proud to work at Care in Mind, is because of the innovative way they work with the young people is incredible. However, in my honest opinion I don’t feel that Care in Mind always gets it right and I understand that there is a need to expand, so Care in Mind can offer it’s services to other young people but I feel that the rate of business growth is detrimental to staff and young people and I do wish Care in Mind would focus on existing services first before opening new ones.

Overall, I really enjoy my job. I love working with the young people and I am so grateful
  more... for my colleagues, you cannot fault the effort and dedication by all staff who work at Care in Mind. You also cannot fault the principles and I strongly believe it’s the best way to work with complex young people, however, I think Care in Mind still have a lot to make this work in practice.  less
Pros
fantastic colleagues who are dedicated and work exceptionally hard, great client group to work with, fantastic ethos, fantastic manager, lots of opportunities for development
Cons
sudden and abrupt changes that aren’t communicated very well, constant need to develop when current services aren’t working as well as they could be
22 February 2019

Thank you for your review and feedback. We take on board your comments about communication and this is something we are working hard to improve across services. We hope you will start to see a big improvement in this over the coming months as there a number of initiatives we are working on . If you would like to discuss any of your points further or have any ideas to share about how we can further improve this please drop me an email.

Appalling management unsupportive
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester5 February 2019
AVOID AVOID AVOID!! I worked for this company for many years and they use you! They leave you to lone work even during incidents and they are supposed to be the manager! They force you out without allowing you to say goodbye to the yps then tell the yps that you didn’t even want to say goodbye leaving them feeling abandoned and thinking you don’t care! During inspection they will fill the cupboard and fridges. No loyalty no morals ABSOLUTLEY AVOID!
Pros
Leaving!
Cons
Was robbed of nearly half of my wage!
13 February 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you did not enjoy your time at Care in Mind. I am disappointed to here that you feel you did not receive your full wage, please contact me at our head office to discuss this further and I will ensure any issues are resolved for you.

Kind regards

Employed for 6 months
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancashire24 January 2019
Having worked in social care for 10 years. I have never experienced a workplace like Care In Mind before. Regardless of statutory, legislative & in house regulations, it was apparent that the residents ruled the roost. And it was hard & undermining for staff to promote boundaries to enhance a quality of care. There was definitely a favouritism environment in place.
Pros
Staff support
Cons
No consistency within the work place
Stressful Place To Work
Bank Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bank Worker12 January 2019
I've worked as bank staff for a few months, it's been so difficult working for the company. I've worked at lot's of the houses and it really is the same everywhere. Long shifts, driving for hours and asked to go somewhere else at the drop of a hat because staff are leaving or off sick. No supervision, lack of management support and general chaos can't work out who's running the home the clinical nurses or the residential managers. I can spend my shift driving yp's around to appointments miles away. The ethos sounds good but it never makes it pass the paper. Head Office staff are more than happy they have no idea what it's like on the front line and everyone their seems to be related too one another with a face fits culture, not the best place to work
11 February 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you have had a bad experience. We really value our bank staff and I would like to take the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. Please would you be able to contact me at the head office and we can help to resolve any issues you may have?

Head of People

Fantastic company with so much to offer staff and young people
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester9 November 2018
Care in mind values all employees and recognises the potential in everyone. The team all work collaboratively to achive the best possible outcome for the young people we support. The staff in the houses go the extra mile even when things are a challenge.
The senior management team are so approachable, innovative and are open to change.
The team are welcoming and are supportive and there is always a friendly face to give advice.

I am proud to be part of the team.
Pros
Collabortaive working, flexible and caring towards staff and young people
Excellent place to work
Residential and Bank Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester8 November 2018
I love working for CIM, I have worked here for 3 plus years and they really do care for staff and Young People alike, I started as a bank support worker and worked my way up, they see potential in everyone.

I always feel really supported in everything I do within my role and find all managers very approachable.

I couldn't imagine myself in another job to be honest.
Caring and professional environment with friendly colleagues
Referrals Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hope House, Stockport7 November 2018
Having worked at Care in Mind for almost a year, I can honestly say that it is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding jobs I have had.
I work at head office with a great bunch of people who are enthusiastic, hard working and show great commitment.

The office environment is extremely busy, though there is plenty of support around if needed. The management team are approachable and flexible and acknowledge when someone's done a good job - it's a really positive place to work and I feel valued.
Not very supportive
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  North West31 October 2018
Nothing like what they say at the training, not very good shifts, shocking management and expected to drive long distances without a thought for your mental health and pressured if you don't want to do it. Unsafe and expected to work with young people abusing you and a clinical team criticizing you
Pros
work with some good people
Cons
no management support, lots of driving
5 November 2018

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry you feel this way and would welcome a confidential conversation with you to try and resolve some of these issues. Please feel free to contact me at the office or email me.

Head of People

A great idea but in practice does not work.
Mental Health Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire18 October 2018
I worked for Care In Mind for several months. I felt vulnerable and Un supported in my role. Despite asking for clinical supervision none was forthcoming. Staff are placed in dreadful situations making workers vulnerable and setting clients up to fail. Indeed during a serious incident a senior manager walked out on me just leaving me with the on call number. I was left lone working and vulnerable. Workers are expected to complete 24 hour shifts including sleep ins. In many cases you do not sleep as a results of incidents.

It truly was the most horrendous working experience I have had.
Pros
Met some lovely people
Cons
Un safe working environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Care In Mind. Our community is ready to answer.

Care In Mind Reviews by Location