Care UK Residential Care Services Employee Reviews

Would not recommend working for this company at all
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Sussex29 November 2018
This company offers no benefits. The hours are long 12 hour shifts with unpaid breaks 1/2 hour lunch unpaid and two fifteen minute breaks morning and afternoon again unpaid.

There is a blame culture from the management. The management was totally unsympathetic to care workers needs. There was no support. Never any praise for a job well done under difficult circumstances only a blame and finger pointing culture.

The particular home I worked at was so bad that staff walked out without other jobs to go to.

The most enjoyable part of the job? Not being there anymore.

This company was so bad I have left the care sector all together.
Pros
There are none they don't even offer free lunches for a 12 hour shift
Cons
Long hours and too many agency staff. No continuity of care.
Lovely place to work
Rota Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Redhill28 November 2018
When working at CareUK I actually felt sad to leave.

Rota Administration is a varied role and two days will never be the same. I have learned to think n my feet, do multiple things at once and be very confident and forthcoming on the phone.

The Management are great and I cannot fault them, they strive to look after you and make sure you are okay from the moment you step foot in the building.

The hardest part of the job is keeping up with constant changes that'll come your way and keeping up with workload, the most enjoyable part is definitely the people that you will talk to every single day and the different systems that you will learn.

If anyone were to ask, I would 100% recommend working for CareUK.
Pros
The People
Cons
Workload
Sadly disappointing...
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands14 November 2018
The job role and setting are amazing - the residents and families are wonderful. I loved getting to know the residents and providing tailor-made sessions to adapt to their needs.
The management culture in the home I worked in was unprofessional, unpleasant and unsupportive. There were clear cliques and favourites. Policies and procedures were overlooked depending on who it was/what the situation was.
The care team are FANTASTIC - they work hard, bring life and cheer and do all they can for each and every resident.
Pros
beautiful setting and home to work in
Cons
management
Lifestyle Co-Ordinator
Lifestyle Co Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Bromsgrove, Worcestershire13 November 2018
Really enjoy my job, every day is very different, all teams work well together and the atmosphere in the home is wonderful. Activities are varied and it’s always fun asking the residents what they would like to do and ensuring we deliver excellent person centred care at all times. Would recommend!
Pros
Free lunch. Fun activities. Good atmosphere.
warm environment
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lostock Hall10 November 2018
I enjoyed working for these but felt I needed more of a challenge and a new out look for my career. I worked with adults with learning disabilities.
Care UK
Call handler for the 111 service, health advisor (Former Employee) –  Dorking, Surrey7 November 2018
working here was one of my favorite jobs, i learnt so much and met so many lovely people. they were really warm and welcoming at my interview, i was nervous. whilst in training the trainers were patient with all of us and motivated us as a team. they are a brilliant company and they are all brilliant at what they do.
Pros
the work environment
Cons
long travelling hours
Poor management structure, coorperate management don't know what the care side are doing.
Registered General Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sevenoaks7 November 2018
There is a definate divide between the corporate management structure who seem to know what the CQC require and how to get it but have clearly never worked a day in care in their life. If there is an issue that involves anything to do with you personally there is no support from the senior management you will just be left out to dry. When there is a problem you are immediately dragged into the office and your conversation is recorded on paper rather than discussed with you first. Staff are willing to report you for every little thing that they don't agree with and the policy is used incorrectly and staff feel it is justifiable to go straight for the CQC rather than raise concerns to the management team. Work place culture is everyone out for themselves. I haven't progressed at all during my year with this company, not that I'd even know because there has never been a single appraisal or supervision other than to tell me I have done something wrong. The hardest part of this job is the people you have to work with but the best part is clearly the residents you look after. They make it worth going into work for.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Management structure both local and corporate
Caring environment
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sussex25 October 2018
Brilliant company to work for, truly care about the staff not just the residents. Good career opportunities for progression and on the job training.

Would highly recommend Care UK as a place for your loved ones and as a place of work.
Pros
Career progression
Not a very enjoyable place to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent24 October 2018
Meeting the same clients who you know their needs and very easy to support.

Learnt to keep to self and do my work diligently.

Listens to gossip and divides staff.

Work culture of reporting each other and people facing disciplinary measures that end up not being true and letters of apologies written.

The hardest part of the job is to be paired with someone who spends the day looking for errors than co-supporting the client.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to fill you have done the best for the client.
Pros
Knowing the days of the month you are to work, meeting new nice people, going to recreational places and holidays with the client.
Cons
Risk being reported, sleeping in for more days than expected because someone calls in sick
Terrible place
Head Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Beechhurst Hayward’s heath22 October 2018
Terrible place especially in the last year the manager was more suited to the prison service, she had zero respect for staff except for the favoured few, residents looked dirty and scruffy no activities for them, just sat looking at a tv that wasn’t on half the time , senior management even worse. Just awful it did used to be nice when I first started there, such a shame
Cons

Want to know more about Care UK Residential Care Services?

Ask a question
Unsupportive, rushing and pushing more and more patients and worst management ever.
Clinician (consultant) (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire18 October 2018
Chaotic Company only focused in their revenue (Stock Market greedy investors), they are called Don’t Care UK by their own staff because they are always pushing more and more patients to the Clinicians’ lists causing stress, mistakes and bad atmosphere with so much rushing.
Management is worse than awful, many people trying to give lessons and complicating the heavy bureaucracy (they are not really working for the Company but only disturbing their employees).
They fired honest, good and reliable people without giving the period notice of their contract!
Pros
Salary in the past
Cons
Everything (mainly management) except some colleagues
Productive and fun workplace.
Trainer/Health Advisor NHS 111 (Former Employee) –  Ipswich18 October 2018
good standard of work ethic amongst good hard working people.
the hard parts of the job are dealing with high volumes of calls without a minutes rest, this can be detrimental to patients calling in.
Underpaid overworked no wonder people are jackin it in
Ex care assistant (Former Employee) –  Banbury, Oxfordshire10 October 2018
Shame because the carehome has so much potential but not enough staff... The work place culture high dependency level of patients who need 1-1 or take over an hour to get ready and you can not meet their needs as you have to get other patients ready before you can go on your break (if u get one that is). Or before lunch time...The pay is minimum wage compared to other care homes!!!! U dont get paid for breaks another downside to the job... Senior carers / nurses and team leaders not pulling their weight and helping out the care team!! Agency staff everyday!!!! No communication between the managers its as if u can pick up on the tension between them... There are too many people who want to run things and not enough who are willing to get the work done. Another downside ... no activities most of the time... thats left to the care team most of the time as lifestyle member is too busy swanning off on breaks all the time and nowhere to be seen!
Pros
Residents are lovely..food
Cons
Activities not being done..unpaid breaks..stress

Comment – 31 October 2018

Thank you for your feedback.

Care UK is committed to ensuring that all of our colleagues feel proud to provide the best possible care to residents in our homes. We have a lifestyle coordinator in most of our homes who helps to promote interesting activities and events whilst also recognising that our ethos is that all colleagues, including chefs, carers and housekeepers, play a part in ensuring that every resident has a fulfilled and interesting day.

We invest substantially in our training and development programmes to support career paths, enabling our team members to continually grow their earnings, not least in our apprenticeship programme. We constantly review our pay scales to ensure we benchmark across the sector.

We are sorry to hear you do not feel you had a great experience at your local home; I can assure you we appreciate the feedback and will share it with the home manager to see if things can be done differently in the future. We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your comments.

We wish you well for the future.

Overworked under paid no support
Senior Staff Member (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 October 2018
Working for Careuk is not some where I would recommend to anyone. The manager does not listen there is no support from the manager who talks at you and not to you. Staffing is not the best always shirt if staff staff are tired over worked and under paid. Head office it seems are more interested in lining their pockets and not in boosting staff morale.
Cons
Long hours low staff morale low pay
I will never work for this company .
Nurse manager (Former Employee) –  High market residential care home Banbury1 October 2018
I joined as a Nurse Manager. Previously worked as a trained nurse for 17 yrs in Oxford university hospitals trust. Had a very bad experience as I have to work under senior cares and Team Leaders who will undermind your knowledge and experience. No breaks .Did not get any support from manager. I will never recommend my family or my friend to work for this company.
Pros
One training
Good Company
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex14 September 2018
Working on 2 -2 ratio with clients. Meeting care needs as required.
Management were good, no real complaints.
Workplace was nice, adapted well for the clients.
Hardest part of the job was communication barriers.
Most enjoyable part was doing activities that the clients enjoyed.
Pros
Good pay, company perks
social activites
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough4 September 2018
Helping elderly people, participating the social activities and encouraging the residents to participating the activity according to their health condition and interest. I have enjoyed all these.
Okay
Call Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southall, Greater London31 August 2018
Good place to work, definitely learn a lot. Management team not large enough to manage the amount of staff working at the call centre. Salary for supervisors also not great but definitely a good place to learn.
Bad benefits - good working progression
Staff Nurse - HMP Wormwood Scrubs (Former Employee) –  Acton, Greater London30 August 2018
The company do not offer incremental pay rises no matter how much additional responsibilities/training that you can take on.
Management tends to allow lots of things to slide especially lateness and lack of competency in the role.
lovely & friendly
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shiney Row29 August 2018
I loved the short time i worked at grangewood ,the staff and residents were lovely.Day to day tasks included feeding,cleaning & general care of residents, liaising with other staff about medication & general health & wellbeing of residents.The home was well run with good morale between staff,management & residents.I started my online training with care uk which covered all aspects of care.I would work for care uk again if the right position within my area came up.
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
12 hour shifts weren`t ideal for my situation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Care UK Residential Care Services. Our community is ready to answer.