CARE SOUTH Employee Reviews

Lovely home
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bideford, Devon15 September 2018
This care home is situated in a lovely quiet area surrounding beautiful views, including animals outside. Some lovely people who work there, I personally wouldn’t recommend this place if you don’t have your own transport (e.g car), as this is out of the way for public transport and can be expensive for taxis to and from. Management are average and could definitely do with improvement in some areas. Also this place is not flexible with staff, for example, they will rota you on a day on which you may not be able to work, even if told, this is purely ignored. Overall great home and care provided to residents. Unpaid breaks and deductions out of pay for DBS check & training, if you leave before the first 6 months, which is disappointing because if you don’t like it you’d have to wait 6 months otherwise they deduct £200 from your pay, (my own & several others experience). Pay is at best average, (we health care assistants aren’t paid nearly enough as we should). Pre warning, this place keeps the heating on 24/7 so be prepared to sweat a lot and work in a very hot environment. Keep a cold water bottle handy as you will need this. It can be overwhelming to some but it’s a lovely home with great staff and residents.
Pros
Beautiful surroundings, peacocks and ducks near lake. Decent shifts.
Cons
Unpaid breaks. Not on the bus route. Very hot inside all year round.
Avoid.Poor management.
Care Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, Dorset7 March 2018
Wages rarely accurate.Issues not sorted out promptly.Do not highlight issues.You will became the issue!Problems with booking annual leave.HR can ignore complaints.
Pros
Training.
Cons
Poor management.
Very friendly and supportive place to work
Ctl (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Dorset25 September 2017
Great place towork.managment isfriendly And always support employees inthey personal development. Training are focused to keep up good standards and keep place safe
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not enough staff sometimes
13 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review and it's great to hear you feel our training was good. Thanks again - Care South Recruitment Team

Flexibale and awarding
HCA (Current Employee) –  Crewkerne3 August 2017
Care south offer a good pay rate including travel time, also Care South Savers scheme is great. I am thanked regularly for my commitment, and they work with me when I am need to help. Great training provided.
Pros
Contracts, flexible hours, weekend enhancement
8 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, it's great to hear you feel appreciated in this role and felt the training provided was great, thanks again - Care South Recruitment Team

great company
Home Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, Dorset19 June 2017
the days start at 7am until 2pm then 4pm til 10 pm 5 days a week.

it is a very rewarding job and there are great carers and some wonderful service uswers
Pros
great carers
Cons
long hurs
3 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, it is very much appreciated. If you wish to provide any further feedback then please don't hesitate to email danny.edwards@care-south.co.uk.

lovely clients
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crewkerne, Somerset7 June 2017
they expect you to get from one place to another with no travel times. peak times is a nightmare driving. the enjoyable part of the job is helping people stay in their own home. the hardest part of the job is losing people you have got to know. I am up to date on different procedures ie manual handling. Do courses dementia/alzheimers.
Pros
meeting people
4 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review and we are pleased you enjoy aspects of your role with us, including the training we provide. However, we are sorry to hear your other feedback regarding the lack of travel time. Feedback from our employees is extremely important to us and we would appreciate it if you’d send us an email to recruitment@care-south.co.uk with more information. Your feedback will be treated confidentially.

As a not-for-profit charity, we strive to be the best employer we can be and would like to understand your feedback in more detail. Thank you, Care South Recruitment Team

Avoid
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dorset18 May 2017
Ungrateful, unmanaged, poor communication, poor people skills, all about profit, not personal centered. Worked like dogs no thanks just critisim, Don't report issues or you'll become the issue !! And your life becomes difficult. More you do more they expect. Confidentially is not respected.
Pros
Training
Cons
Management don't care about staff.
4 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review and we are sorry to hear this feedback. Feedback from our employees is extremely important to us and we would appreciate it if you’d send us an email to recruitment@care-south.co.uk with more information so we can look into the issues you raise. Your feedback will be treated confidentially.

best place
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Yeovil16 February 2017
it was the best place i worked, staff were nice, well most of them, good money, the clients were lovely . i never had issues unless it was fully staff, the team are supportive, weekend office staff were lovely, the week staff not so much. it was easy money compared to some agencies, and the clients were such a lovely bunch
Pros
money
Cons
short staff
3 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, it is very much appreciated - Care South Recruitment Team

Poor managment
HCA (Current Employee) –  Dorset14 February 2017
A terrible place to work they took away over time enhancements and put every one on flexable rota ,flexable for them not the staff it's difficult facing family's of clients when you know you have failed them , lack of staff and poor management
Pros
Make good friends in the staff
Cons
No respect from management
4 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are sorry to hear your feedback regarding flexible rostering. Feedback from our employees is extremely important to us and we would appreciate it if you’d send us an email to recruitment@care-south.co.uk with more information so we can look into the issues you raise. Your feedback will be treated confidentially.

Great if you have caring nature and enjoy people.
Activity Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset6 February 2017
Care South is a good company as far as on the job training is concerned. It's a good place to start if you want a job in elderly care as the training is good. It suffers like many care companies in finding it hard to recruit enough staff who come from the local area. I would encourage young people to apply for a job in elderly care if you have a caring nature and enjoy hard work. It is a very satisfying job. Another essential is that you like people. It is definitely a people job. There are benefits in that it is secure and you can progress to senior positions easily. It definitely needs people who are committed and who genuinely want to make a difference in promoting the welfare of elderly people. It can make a very satisfying career.
Pros
Free tea and coffee.
Cons
Hourly pay rate could be better.

Fun workplace
Activities/General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth17 January 2017
It is a productive and fun workplace to be in because not only are you doing your job you are making the residence lifes more fulfilling every day.
3 July 2017

Worst company avoid at all cost
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset20 December 2016
Worked 80 hours a week plus still asked to do more. Management have few management skills and not willing to make changes to improve the company. Pay is rarely accurate
Pros
Clients are lovley
Cons
Pay, lack of skilled management, hours
4 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are sorry to your feedback regarding the issues you have raised. Feedback from our employees is extremely important to us and we would appreciate it if you’d send us an email to recruitment@care-south.co.uk with more information so we can look into the issues you raise. Your feedback will be treated confidentially.

This company know nothing about confidentiality.
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Dorset17 November 2016
I worked for this Company and if there was a problem we were told to report it, but if you did it was not confidential and soon everyone knew, a bit like playing Chinese whispers.
Management took away all enhancements for weekend working.
Management were rubbish, 4 managers is 3 years and I can honestly say the only people who cared for the residents were the Care Assistants, once staff went to Senior Care roles they were "too good" to actually provide any care for residents.
Always short staffed and far too many agency workers many of who couldn't even speak English which is frightening for an elderly person suffering with Dementia but we just had to get on with it and watch the residents suffer.
Things with this company will never change.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, no appreciation at all

Rewarding
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple8 November 2016
A really rewarding place to work, lots of benefits of working towards NVQ's and extra certificates. Really enjoyed it.

Good team
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth22 October 2016
Fun and friendly environment to work in. Excellent training provided by easy to do online access courses. All our residents there are well looked after and loved.

Work
Home Care Assitant (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth10 October 2016
Worker within the care industry the hardest part of the job would be building friendship with poorly patients but this is also very rewarding

Gone downhill alot!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth14 July 2016
I wouldn't recommend this company at all, there is absolutely no room to progress unless you're chummy with the management, there's no thanks for the blood sweat and tears you put into your shifts, but make a small error and you'll feel a tonne of bricks hitting you

There is always a shortage of staff, even agency workers don't want to take the shifts available, and the regular staff are always off sick, over worked I presume. No sign of any new staff despite the overwhelming shortages.

Most of the homes are run down and shabby, with only the new homes getting featured in the brochure, but no amount of cleaning would ever make them smell or look better, quite frankly only a bulldozer would improve the look of some homes.

Management really don't care about the staff, if your face doesn't fit, Then you wont. If you smoke it seems you can have unlimited breaks with no one saying anything but if you don't smoke, don't even think about going 1 minute over on your unpaid break

Over all I'd avoid, but if you like the idea of working like a trojan, with poor wages compared to other companies and being treated like an idiot and a child by management then go ahead and apply!!
Pros
Lovely residents, lovely fellow staff.
Cons
Unpaid breaks, heavy work, no thanks at all, poor pay.

Bad /selfish management
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole4 July 2016
A bad company to work for. No moral work ethiics. No job security and no employee support. Its a company that has no trustworthiness does not show its real self to its service users.
Management is not to be trusted and they only look after themselves and not their employees.
There is a high care staff turn over in most of their homes as they are not looked after by the management. Most homes are run down and old. Only one is a show home and appears more like a hotel but thats a cover up for bad management and will not pull the wool over those who are wise. They make their care staff redundant and close homes without a care for their employees. They make promises they don't keep and they don't care who they make redundant. They need trading standards to look into their finances properly as top management are getting bonuses for full home occupancy and care staff are being unfairly sacked, dismissed and made redundant and management don't care at all. They are more concerned with their bonuses.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, lack of real professional leadership, two faced and not to be trusted

Care South
Domestic Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Gillingham3 July 2016
Full time Domestic cleaning assistant position in a Care South residential care home Public areas and private resident en suite rooms
3 July 2017

Never been happier in a job.
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bideford14 June 2016
I have gone between jobs since I started working at 16 and since being here I have been very settled and can honestly say I enjoy going to work.
Pay is fab for a carer, the staff are lovely and welcoming, management are always approachable and willing to help where they can and it's all around got a lovely atmosphere.
I also believe it is a very good place at actually giving care which is the main thing. Always putting clients first and making sure people enjoy their lives here.
100% would recommend.
Pros
Pay. Staff. Clients.
Cons
Unpaid breaks.
3 July 2017

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CARE SOUTH. Our community is ready to answer.