Care Quality Commission Employee Reviews

good organisation
Inspection Manager (Current Employee) –  Home Based3 July 2018
CQC is a good organisation but tend to recruit from external candidates so very difficult to get promotion. Home working is excellent. well supported. training opportunities are poor
Pros
home working
Cons
recruit from external so no career progressionle: Long hours
Great job, organisation not good enough
Inspection Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 March 2018
Making a difference to the lives of people receiving care is both rewarding and a huge responsibility. The framework of regulation is good to drive improvement in the sector, however the organisation is somewhat lacking in its leadership. Over worked staff, who are not well paid for their role. Poor technology and clunky systems add to an already demanding job and its only through the good will of staff that this organisation isn't failing.
Pros
Some staff homework
Cons
Long hours and no end in sight
Work
Direct Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London20 February 2018
Typical days at work are very busy and each day I learn different business processes. The management are nice and its quite structural. A nice place to work overall
Terrible Culture
IT Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 January 2018
Poor rates of pay
Lack of progression opportunities
'Command & Control' management culture
Organisational Values are no practiced in principle
Processes are defined by management and then mandated
A good employer
ICT Trainer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, London, Greater London3 November 2017
My typical day is getting into work at 08:00 or earlier and leaving by 16:00 to avoid the rush in Victoria

Continual learning of systems, applications, policy and procedure.

Friendly, helpful staff. Continually improving what they deliver.

Hardest part of the job for me is the use of Lync to communicate, hold meetings and deliver learning as the organisation is located over the UK

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with a diverse group of people and getting home by 17:30 so that I can enjoy my evening activities.
Pros
Freely available coffee
Cons
When you have to attend personal appointments and work in London but live in Hertfordshire
organised and professional
Specialist Advisor (Current Employee) –  countrwide29 September 2017
This is an organisation which has facilitated my professional development by working , learning, and sharing with a wide spectrum of inspectors from different professional backgrounds.
Pros
flexibility in choosing where and when you are able to work without being pressurised
Cons
ridiculous work allocation system
too much focus on targets and ticking boxes
Inspection (Former Employee) –  North East13 July 2017
Days were very long and the training didnt prepare you for the work. Management monitoring and guidance was inefficient, and often not relevant to the actual work. Long lonely days with very little actual support
brilliant organisation
Advisor (Current Employee) –  London5 May 2017
Whilst there is a great work/life balance, the organisation gave me the opportunity to develop my career and undertake a secondment which has been crucial to my field.
Fine for a couple of years
NCSC Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear4 April 2017
It is a positive and friendly place to work if a bit shambolic in its management style. The offices are nice and the city centre location is very convenient.
Pros
City centre location
Cons
Not much professional development.
Competetive environment
INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire28 March 2017
Can be challenging due to competitive nature of other workmates. Workload is very challenging sometimes. Sometimes unrealistic to carry out all the work expected in the allocated time.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Work overload
Excellent workplace
Inspector ASC (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 March 2017
I enjoy working for the CQC, its an excellent employer. They do provide good in-depth training and strive to improve their employees skills and knowledge. Regulation is a vital part of health and social care provision.
Pros
Work live balance
Cons
Unpredictable assignments
Enjoyable workplace
Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear29 December 2016
Enjoyable workplace which has offered me the opportunity to personally and professionally develop in a variety of roles. Great work ethic employed by a fantastic bunch of people.
Good company
CQC Specialist Advisor (Current Employee) –  National8 December 2016
Good company to work for as a Specialist Advisor as can pick and choose shifts and the pay is relatively good. You are emailed through inspections and you have the option of selecting them. It fits well into work/life balance
Nice place to work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear1 December 2016
validating applications, email outcomes of each application, making and taking telephone calls. Helping other teams proactively. All staff are genuinely nice and friendly
Pros
Flexibility
my role is that of an lay assessor, which means that I form part of a very large pool of staff assignment to carry out specific inspection visits acco
Lay Assessor (Former Employee) –  West Midlands29 November 2016
my role is interim and as such my rating is limited because I have not undertaken any inspections this year. The working day consist of planning with the lead inspector the expectations from the team and the key line of enquiry to be pursued.
Pros
subsistence paid
Cons
fees paid are low
Busy Processing centre
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne24 September 2016
Responsible for managing a large processing team within a high performing culture organisation to ensure that team objectives are met. I am also in charge of enforcing that staff complies with all required professional boundaries and code of conduct.
Every day brings a different challenge
Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon tyne25 August 2016
In my current role I am responsible for monitoring quality and supporting managers to improve quality.

I am highly proficient in excel VBA and the tools I have created help managers to analyse quality performance in a multitude of different ways.

In the last year I have taught myself how to code using excel vba, I had no knowledge of coding a year ago but I am now able to produce complex reports over daily, weekly and monthly durations.

I have a great deal of experience in the management of workloads by utilising the skills and knowledge of colleagues around me.
I am often looked to to provide management support in my managers absence.

The most challenging part of the role is getting internal teams to engage with the quality process and to understand that producing high quality work can help keep volumes of work at predictable levels.

The best part of my role is seeing the tools I have created being used by managers and also to be able to change tools to meet the customers needs.
Pros
I have autonomy in my role and I am the key to my own success, I am respected because of my openess and positive attitude.
Cons
Sometimes the emphasis on quality can be overlooked, when the concentration moves to processing volumes of work rather than volumes of high quality work.
Regulate the regulator
Officer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne8 August 2016
CQC is a place that is feeling the government cuts. Its not a bad place to work but sometimes you do feel like you're treat a bit like a child.
Amazing environment
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  London7 July 2016
Was able to work with little or no supervision. Great manager and i loved the fact that the role was dynamic; wasn't a vain repetition of tasks. I always looked forward to new challenges.
Pros
Everyone takes own responsibility
Cons
Sometimes the atmosphere is lazy
Wonderful people aiming to reach and exceed the organisations expectations
Shared Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne30 June 2016
My day involves managing groups of individuals, and attempting to streamline workflows in order to meet our daily targets. I am a team officer who is constantly dealing with queries, call escalations and monitoring of productivity.

Management aim to improve the smooth running of the organisation and make the CQC a stronger and more robust organisation.

My co-workers are varied and vast. The great majority are lovely people who work hard to achieve the goals set by the company.

The hardest part of my job is the current instability and lack of guarantees about the future of many roles within the company.

The most enjoyable part of my job is trying to help my staff in whatever way I can, and feeling fulfilled when I see this occurring.
Pros
Ability to learn new tasks; some wonderful people;advancement opportunities
Cons
Current Job Instability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Care Quality Commission. Our community is ready to answer.

Care Quality Commission Reviews by Location