Cardiff and Vale University Health Board Employee Reviews

Supportive and Encouraging Work Place
Radiographer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff17 March 2018
A typical day within the trust see's a lot of different patients, clinical scenarios and healthcare professionals, all of which make the job an enjoyable and rewarding career. The management team are supportive, and not afraid to work in their clinical specialties when required. Colleagues are hard working team players who you can rely on to have your back when things get stressful.
Pros
A lot of employer support and assistance programs
Cons
Hours can be demanding
Bank staff have very little compassion
health care support worker (Former Employee) –  agency/bank8 March 2018
Bank staff do not look at their employees as people but hours that they can do. They do not care about peoples individual circumstances and offer no support.
Decent enough to work for
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff24 January 2018
Job was OK but the management were awful beyond belief. A great deal of work was placed on us to do in a shift which I felt was pretty poor. Was very often criticised over every little thing. Fixed shifts at the time which was great but they changed it to alternate shifts which was a mess as management would never give you much notice of any changes and then blame you entirely if you got it wrong. After leaving I could never return as I found it unbearable in the end.
Pros
Good shifts
Cons
Bad management.
I left my role as a hcsw band 2 for a hca in a nursing home!!
Hcsw band 2 (Former Employee) –  Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan14 December 2017
I left my role as a band 2 hcsw on general.medical ward with good pay benifits (enhancements at weekends and nights and bank holidays) of under 6 months for a hca role at a nursing home with lower pay and no enhancements. That's how.miserable and desperate I was to leave the trust. It's not.just the ward or the trust either . I've tried three trusts within the nhs and I didn't enjoy working for any. It's not in any way about the patients its.about meeting targets . We are undervalued underpaid underated over worked and always short staffed to the point where the levels ofstaffing are.dangerous. I tried my.best for a while.to find a permanent position within the nhs with good.benifits pension enhancements.and job security. But that means nothing if your unhappy!! I'm happier with less.money and less benifits at a nursing home !!fast paced and pressured environment is an understatement the targets the expect from you are impossible . The patients are like a conveyer belt .management don't care or.look after their staff and the patients are.the ones suffering from this too!!. I studied hard in college to get qualifications in order to go on to further education to do my nursing . Ive been put off and no lonher am i interested in studying for.a.nursing degree. Disappointed and let down is an understatment I was horrified at.the level of inadequate care I was able.to provide. And I will.avoid hospitals at all costs for the rest of my days as a.member of staff and more importantly as a patient !!I i could go on and on about the cons .....
Pros
Enhanced rate of pay, good pension
Cons
Over worked, undervalued, high staff turnover, bad mangement, bad practice, bad manual.handling, lack of breaks, short staff, ect ect ect.
Great
Student Health Visitor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 October 2017
Great university to help study for a career in healthcare. Excellent staff and support. Great facilities and library. Easy to get to with public transport.
Job satisfaction in service delivery
Operational Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff and Vale University Health BOard14 September 2017
I have an extremely varied and interesting role and a lot of autonomy to carry out my job. I work as part of a professional team of staff and my opportunities to learn and develop are never ending.

I thoroughly enjoy the environment in which I work as it contributes to the service delivery to a specialist group of patients in a healthcare setting.

The most challenging part of my job is that it's wide variety of responsibilities, means that it is very demanding and I have to constantly proritise and reprioritise my workload.

The most enjoyable part of the job satisfaction I get is knowing that I am contributing to the provision of a safe and efficient healthcare environment.
Pros
Free parking
Awful place to work
Ward Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff11 September 2017
Never work for clinical medicine board again. Blame culture exists. No support from senior nurses, low staffing levels. Management only interested in targets not patients.
Cardiff and Vale UHB
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Surgery2 August 2017
There is a lack of accountability. It is very much an old boys network with the Medical director ignoring ongoing issues. If you raise issues you're labeled as a trouble maker.
There is no forward planning
The HR department is holding the hospital back - very poor
The whole thing needs a complete review and look to redefine services
Pros
Cons
Lack of leadership
Pressured environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Llandough, Vale of Glamorgan30 July 2017
Staff are generally overworked, feel undervalued, underrated, underplayed and despensible. Facilities for staff are poor. Constant pressured environment.
Very good
RMN (Current Employee) –  Uhw6 June 2017
I have enjoyed the challenges that each post within the UHB has set me. I have been fortunate to have a strong and supportive line manager who has understood my skills set and sought to utilise appropriately.
Fast pace
Band 6 nurse (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff21 January 2017
I worked with some great nurses, the unit lacked leadership. Very fast paced. I enjoyed the acuity of the role and the various clinical skills I was able to conduct on a daily basis.
Pros
Good team work
A great place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff9 December 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in and around the vale of Glamorgan as a phlebotomist. Meeting new patients each day and carrying out a procedure many people can be wary of and making patients feel at ease.
supportive environment
NHS Concerns Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS29 December 2015
All staff members are very encouraging and supportive when taking on a new role within the organisation. Appropriate training is provided
Pros
team work
Cons
parking facilities