Cardiff and Vale University Health Board

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board Employee Reviews

United Kingdom27 reviews
Llandough Hospital was a great work environment with various opportunities to progress within the career. However, the shift pattern was very intense and made it difficult for me to find a balance between work and personal life. I really appreciate the experience I gained while working there as well as the people I met. there.
Enjoyable and rewarding role. All the staff were easy to get along with and were passionate about providing the best care they could for the patients.
Would recommend the work here, plenty of work and a lovely team to work for. Stable and safe work place with plenty of support and patience. Patient driven.
Pros
Pay and team
Cons
monitored
My work is interesting and enjoyable. I am fairly autonomous and am able to work at home. My primary function is clinical education and public engagement. The role is diverse and includes project management, improvement methodology and embedding advance care planning into clinical areas.
It has all major specialities and a great work experience.
The workload of acute medicine is increasing and combined with speciality work it provides a great experience.
Pros
Good clinical experience
Cons
Aging IT equipments
I worked for this company for many years and in different areas of the service. I really enjoyed it that was until I became ill. I was told that as my episode was the same thing that it would count as 1, i was stupid to believe that. Also don't ever raise your concerns about how you think things are being run and how whats right for one person she be right for all. I was made to feel like a villain and that i had committed to ultimate crime. How dare I raise concerns on bullying or favouritism. I eventually left of my own accord as i felt i could not go back to that environment. It was toxic for many reasons. Since then a number of staff have left for this very reason and I have had an apology from my manager as she now sees how bad it actually is.
You need a very thick skin to work here and not let things get to you. Especially when everyone puts there two pence worth in but nothing ever gets done or said.
Pros
Learning a lot
Cons
the bullying culture is so bad its toxic
Former registered nurse, worked for this trust for over 16years. The bullying culture is massive. If you raise concerns you pay for it... seen as a troublemaker etc. I personally felt that Senior nurses in the emergency medicine directorate held no value or respect for their staff. I Overheard them bad mouthing staff in the offices for various reasons... highly unprofessional and nothing is ever totally confidential.
Lots of highly experienced staff left the a&e department for reasons of bullying in a very short period of time. Valuable Staff who had worked in a&e for 16 years plus, and the trust diluted the nursing staff with newly qualified (inexperienced) staff. Willing to put nurses registrations on the line because of lack of consideration for support & training.. and patient safety at risk. It’s all about targets.

Staff are not respected by the trust as human beings, there’s a total disregard for nurses and their mental or physical wellbeing. The threat of the sickness policy 3 strikes & you’re out rule is not what loyal hardworking staff need. HR are not supportive on this either. Seriously inconsistent & lacking in care & consideration towards people’s circumstances.

One staff member who was not clinical was once given compassionate leave because her dog had died, yet a nurse I know was told she had to take emergency annual leave because her father in law had died suddenly. And following that, had to try & swap shifts for the day of his funeral to support her husband & children.

You are classed as a “number”. And that’s it.

The senior nurse managers band 8
 - more...
Pros
Good rates of pay.
Cons
Always know how to work out your payslip, keep an exact record of the hours worked, payroll are well known for incorrect payments to staff wages.
I worked for this Trust for nearly 20 years, when I say I worked, I worked very hard! I started as a Ward Receptionist, then went on to a HCSW. Enjoying the job so much I decided to train. This was in the space of a year or two, I carried on working with my P/T post while I trained - hence nearly 18 years with no break. I did my last 15 years on the district. Unfortunately during the last two years of working, following a miscarriage my health seems to deteriorate after that. I suffered prolapse disks in my lumbar spine and due to the pain I developed fibromyalgia. Anyone who has this condition will understand how bad this is. It is multiple joint pain, muscle burn, CFS, unable to control body temp, nerve pain etc. I worked through this massive flare that lasted to this day, four years. I automatically, after having my patient list every morning sorted it demographically and got my head down and went for it till my list was complete, and to my knowledge, after asking each manager I had my documentation was ok and my work without complaint and was known as ‘speedy’ and it was just the way I worked, just nose to the grindstone till I’m done. I was always told my work was good and I worked hard. Finally it got to the point, I’d close a patients front door, look at my car parked outside and think, I don’t think I can get to my car I felt so fatigued I thought I was just going to drop. I suddenly developed foot drop and had to go off sick, I just couldn’t walk. This is where the lack of value comes with total disregard for employees. I was off sick following my miscarriage, then - more...
Pros
Love the job. Good job satisfaction.
Cons
Too many for this little box
Bad management practice and a culture of shaming and blaming from managers protected by HR who are never held accountable. A two tier system of rules applied. At band 8 and above your part of the club and are protected.
Pros
Enter this health board at band 8 and you will be ok for life.
Cons
Lack of value.
One of the biggest health organisations the Uk, gives a variety of speciality, tertiary care and locations to work in. Main centre UHW is a busy and pressured building and can be overwhelming at time.
Good links to Cardiff university for further education.
Pros
Variety of opportunity
Cons
Parking can be challenging.
Working here as newly qualified nurse was a good place to start. Support was excellent as were the learning opportunities. Team worked well together in a very busy environment
If you value your professional registration stay away from this Health Board. Raising concerns will result in you being labelled a troublemaker. HR do not listen to your concerns they just implement the well-oiled machine of getting rid of you.
Pros
Good shifts
Cons
Poor management
Good cross-section of people some really good to work with. It's quite structured with the uniforms and banding. Mixed bag of experiences some great and some bad. I think it can be hard to work at the main hospitals because they are so big. Often resources are over stretched and that makes the work harder. The sites are a bit isolated away from shops so getting lunch is expensive so you need to bring it with you. The work can be a bit repetitive on the lower bands but you can move with the organization more easily once you gain experience. My experience overall is that it is very hard work. And you can pick up colds etc easily and the sickness policy is very strict but they often compromise on life work balance if the need arises because it is a 24/7 service many shift patterns are avalible
A typical day within the trust see's a lot of different patients, clinical scenarios and healthcare professionals, all of which make the job an enjoyable and rewarding career. The management team are supportive, and not afraid to work in their clinical specialties when required. Colleagues are hard working team players who you can rely on to have your back when things get stressful.
Pros
A lot of employer support and assistance programs
Cons
Hours can be demanding
Bank staff do not look at their employees as people but hours that they can do. They do not care about peoples individual circumstances and offer no support.
Job was OK but the management were awful beyond belief. A great deal of work was placed on us to do in a shift which I felt was pretty poor. Was very often criticised over every little thing. Fixed shifts at the time which was great but they changed it to alternate shifts which was a mess as management would never give you much notice of any changes and then blame you entirely if you got it wrong. After leaving I could never return as I found it unbearable in the end.
Pros
Good shifts
Cons
Bad management.
I left my role as a band 2 hcsw on general.medical ward with good pay benifits (enhancements at weekends and nights and bank holidays) of under 6 months for a hca role at a nursing home with lower pay and no enhancements. That's how.miserable and desperate I was to leave the trust. It's not.just the ward or the trust either . I've tried three trusts within the nhs and I didn't enjoy working for any. It's not in any way about the patients its.about meeting targets . We are undervalued underpaid underated over worked and always short staffed to the point where the levels ofstaffing are.dangerous. I tried my.best for a while.to find a permanent position within the nhs with good.benifits pension enhancements.and job security. But that means nothing if your unhappy!! I'm happier with less.money and less benifits at a nursing home !!fast paced and pressured environment is an understatement the targets the expect from you are impossible . The patients are like a conveyer belt .management don't care or.look after their staff and the patients are.the ones suffering from this too!!. I studied hard in college to get qualifications in order to go on to further education to do my nursing . Ive been put off and no lonher am i interested in studying for.a.nursing degree. Disappointed and let down is an understatment I was horrified at.the level of inadequate care I was able.to provide. And I will.avoid hospitals at all costs for the rest of my days as a.member of staff and more importantly as a patient !!I i could go on and on about the cons .....
Pros
Enhanced rate of pay, good pension
Cons
Over worked, undervalued, high staff turnover, bad mangement, bad practice, bad manual.handling, lack of breaks, short staff, ect ect ect.
Great university to help study for a career in healthcare. Excellent staff and support. Great facilities and library. Easy to get to with public transport.
I have an extremely varied and interesting role and a lot of autonomy to carry out my job. I work as part of a professional team of staff and my opportunities to learn and develop are never ending.

I thoroughly enjoy the environment in which I work as it contributes to the service delivery to a specialist group of patients in a healthcare setting.

The most challenging part of my job is that it's wide variety of responsibilities, means that it is very demanding and I have to constantly proritise and reprioritise my workload.

The most enjoyable part of the job satisfaction I get is knowing that I am contributing to the provision of a safe and efficient healthcare environment.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Never work for clinical medicine board again. Blame culture exists. No support from senior nurses, low staffing levels. Management only interested in targets not patients.
There is a lack of accountability. It is very much an old boys network with the Medical director ignoring ongoing issues. If you raise issues you're labeled as a trouble maker.
There is no forward planning

The HR department is holding the hospital back - very poor

The whole thing needs a complete review and look to redefine services
Pros
Cons
Lack of leadership
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cardiff and Vale University Health Board. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7