Cardiff University

Cardiff University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom123 reviews
Always learning and an enjoyable atmosphere. I was part of a research group where I was supervised by a PhD throughout my time, they directed me and taught me how research was conducted
Cardiff University has a really good work-life balance. The pay and benefits are great and they are always very proactive when it comes to employee well-being.
I am lucky that I end up in a research team with a really good manager, we have a small team of students, postdocs and technician with friendly and collaborative atmosphere. I have my own project, but I am able to participate in other projects too. It is hard work but enjoyable. The worst part of it is the uncertain about your future. There is almost impossible, if there is any opportunity, to have a permanent position.
The day would involve setting up a stall for an event, engaging university students and writing feedback forms about how successful we were. My organisation skills were significantly enhanced because a job as a senior wellbeing champion required organising a team of volunteers, making sure they were in the right place at the right time. Furthermore, I developed my project management skills as I was responsible for coming up with a new idea, motivating my team to get involved and co-ordinating the overall running of certain events.

The management structure was excellent and my employers were very understanding and flexible, providing opportunities to develop new ideas and get involved in a number of different events. In turn, this created a very positive and relaxed workplace culture.

The hardest part of the job was finding effective ways to engage students that helped market the wellbeing services in a way that wasn't off putting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was engaging with lots of different people and getting involved in a number of events and activities that really helped broaden my skill set for the workplace.
Managment only interested in themselves. No thought to staff. Got furloughed without pay, and they had no interest in my situation after that. Poor management.
This is a supportive and flexible workplace. I work on a part time contractual basis which was offered by my professor in one of my university modules. This was ideal as my professor already knew my skills and work ethic. I was able to perfect my time management and translations skills whilst working here during my studies.
My job was great.. interesting, challenging and stimulating and as a disabled employee they were exceptionally proactive and very supportive of me.. I left due to health problems but would have worked there until retirement
A fast-paced work environment whilst being a supportive and collaborative working environment that appreciated and rewarded innovation in teaching and learning. Being a personal tutor and dissertation supervisor was most enjoyable and rewarding. Equally enjoyable was the close links with practice. The most challenging aspect of the post was the fast turn-around for marking workloads but team work helped minimise the stress that could have been generated by this. In this post, I truly learnt to appreciate the benefits of active teaching and learning methods.
great place to work management was always supportive and flexible around studies..Would definitely recommend to students. We all received great training and felt confident when working. We also had a lot of fun
Worse place I've worked. I've been physically and racially abused threatened and treated very poorly especially when already suffering with stress I've been working there for nearly 10yrs now and theven last 21/2 yrs have been worse than ever.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cardiff University?
Worked with a variety of different people from all works of life.
Good working environment.

University continues to strive to

make work as comfortable as possible.
Pros
Enjoyed working at university. No two days were the same.
Cons
None to report
Loved working at Cardiff University. My job was contracted for 3 years and now I am looking to make a permanent move to Cardiff. Hardest part was making sure my work was as good as possible
My 3 years working in the Arts and Social Studies Library at Cardiff University as a library reshelving assistant has been extremely valuable throughout my University experience. The office culture is the loveliest I've ever worked in and I was confident in my job very soon after starting work there.
Very professional and wonderful work environment, lots of career progression, great training provided such as career and skills development workshops, seminars and courses in preparation for future career and job opportunities within and outside the University.
The University is going through some big changes at the moment and a lot of the staff are uncertain about the effect of these changes. Job security and the overall benefit packages is a big part of working for the uni. If you have the right team working alongside you then it's a great place to work....
As a research fellow, my work was hard but enjoyable if you have that mindset. The people are always lovely and the work environment is very different from that of an office. I would recommend.
Pros
Amazing People
Cons
Hard work
Interesting place to work, great for future development and learning new skills. Always something to complete and helping with student queries, processing time sheets and registers
Cardiff University is an enjoyable workplace working as a graduate teaching assistant, they provide so many other opportunities such as training and learning. Management has encouraged graduate tutor to take any workplace environment and make them comfortable to work with. With flexible working hours for a graduate tutor, this has led that tutor to have ample time to not only focusing on their study but to gain working experience at the same time. A graduate teaching assistant has also been trusted to be part of module and seminar and markers in mid-term and final student's assessment. This is the most enjoyable and career-oriented workplace.
Pros
Teaching and learning support
Cons
limited time of work for graduate tutor
A friendly organisation with many good and hard working colleagues. A leader when it comes to investing in it's staff.
Pros
Good Holidays
Working at Cardiff University can be hard work and you can do a lot of hours but it can also be a fun time.

Depending in which department you work will depend on what you can learn and what the management can be like. Some departments are a lot better than others.
Good university to attend. Good facilites for research, very central to the city. good studnet life, good management and finances. PI was fantastic as was his team
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cardiff University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3