Cardiff Council Employee Reviews

Boring
COMMISSIONING AND PROCUREMENT STUDENT PLACEMENT (Former Employee) –  Cardiff11 April 2019
Really not for someone who wants to learn and progress. Most managers work 4 days week and the most important to them is to finish early on Friday. Not recommending
good working experience
New Theatre Stage Technician (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff18 February 2019
enjoyed work at the new theatre, mostly working nights construction and dismantling of sets in short period of time frames between new shows. good work environment.
Cleaner
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Schools12 February 2019
I really loved this job but it came to an end when I found out I was pregnant and having my son I couldn’t find child care for him, it was a really good job and I loved doing it but sadly it came to an end
Pros
You get to get on with your job
Cons
Amazing people to work for
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Lamby way Cardiff8 February 2019
I absolutely loved my job at Cardiff council and would love to go back unfortunately I was employed through an agency and they didn’t have any permanent jobs to offer
Pros
Good people. Good wages. Good atmosphere
Cons
No permanent jobs.
no thing
Housing solution officer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 December 2018
at the moment
I'm enjoying working fro Cardiff council ,
as my job is to help people who live in Cardiff by trying to prevent homelessness in Cardiff
Avoid the Adult Day Services posts
Adult Support Worker . (Current Employee) –  Cardiff Day Services11 November 2018
It’s a blame culture that month after month continues to keep pointing the finger at other people. It’s not what you know it’s who you know. If your face doesn’t fit then you are soon forced out of the door.

There are too many senior staff and managers in post who have a unhealthy relationship with each other and HR personnel. Ultimately, if your line manager thinks you don’t fit in then your done for and HR will not support you as an individual staff member.

For example : I’m aware that a manager used to take certain female and sometimes male staff members to his property during the working day or take them out of the office for hours at a time with no team discussions or planning within the team prior to this action. This act alone happened frequently with no constructive feedback relating to the role and service or purposeful use of tax payers money that benefited those in need in the service. No action taken.

A senior staff member instructed a support worker to continue supporting someone with a visual impairment who had urinated themselves. This occurred whilst being transported in a staff members car was not allowed to take the person home to change and was told to carry on as there was only a few hours left until the end of the day. No action taken

Staff members being asked to monitor their co-workers to feedback any negatives to senior management on a daily basis.

Manager determined to deplet or reduce a staff members pension fund / entitlement when evidence is provided for retirement on medical grounds.

Senior staff and management openly discussing
  more... other staff members personal and work issues in shared office which resulted negatively on the individuals. This included a staff members medical condition. No action taken.

The list can go on..........

There are so many other examples of misconduct that others I have worked with and I know of would be happy to share. I’m ready to make use of the whilstblowing policy.

There are too many senior staff surfing the wave of retirement payout so they will not comprise each other. Good luck to those whose apply and work within the day services as not all staff are the same but hold on tight as it’s a very rocky and unpredictable road ahead.
Pros
Opportunity to support individuals in need.
Cons
Poor support mechanism for staff which has created a backstabbing culture.
Understaffed, but some great people
Freedom of Information Request Case Officer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff7 November 2018
Every department is understaffed, and the chaff don't get fired. Office environment can be toxic, depending on where you are. But some of the staff are really hardworking and kind, putting so much time into making things right. They care so much and are let down by shrinking budgets.

Flexible working hours are fantastic, but some managers make it very clear that they don't approve of them and will 'highly encourage' you to not use them. Bad/lazy coworkers don't get fired or challenged most of the time.

Lots of opportunities to change department and try new jobs with some security.

You can't eat your own lunches in the canteen, even if you're with someone who is buying something from there.
Pros
some great coworkers, job opportunities
Cons
toxicity, understaffing
Different
School Crossing Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Station Road Llanishen23 August 2018
This is a great job if you want part time hours that fit around the family.
Good people to work for.
You are encouraged not to take holidays during term time.
Pros
Easy job.
Cons
Only half pay during school holidays.
Great People in general
Libraries Assistant/ Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff9 August 2018
I enjoyed helping the General Public and providing a Library service to our customers.
The service I think was under serviced and not supported well which was a crying shame in my opinion.
The hardest part of the Job was driving the very large mobile library vehicle up very narrow streets and lanes, manoeuvring it into safe locations was very stressful but you felt great to get the service to our grateful clients.
Great people to work with
Traffic Marshall (Former Employee) –  Cardiff12 July 2018
The team who organised my days of work were enthusiastic but inefficient at the job at hand. However they are encouraging and very appreciative.......
Pros
not much pressure
Really Good Opportunities
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff10 July 2018
I enjoyed working here as the team work and relations were good. Here you had opportunities to work up the ladder in job roles which was my plan until my time here was cut short due to government funding.
Bullying environment
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  County hall4 June 2018
Bullying management environment had a very poor experience as a newly qualified here. My experience led to me nearly leaving my career very early on..
Pros
Team were friendly
Cons
Bullying environment
busy child care team
Team Manager, Child Care Team (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff31 May 2018
supervising social workers and allocating work, generally working longer than the expected hours in the day
OK management support
hardest part of the job was not being able to do all the expected work in normal working hours and encouraging social workers to leave the office at a respectable time at the end of the day
Fantastic job with great people to work with.
Meals on Wheels (Current Employee) –  Fairwater ED24 May 2018
A typical day involves checking delivery route for efficient use of time and ensure any special meals are correct. Plate up meals when required and check that they are eating meals from the day before.

I have learned about how to deal with different customers personalities and that I am very lucky.

Management very friendly and approachable.

Excellent workplace culture with a great team were nothing is too much trouble and information is passed between the team freely.

The hardest part of the job is new routes and ensuring customers get their meals at a reasonable time. Also try and limit time spent with customers so that deliveries are kept to schedule even though you may be the only person they see all day and they want to talk.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work planning route and putting a smile on the customers face.
Pros
Interesting
Amazing job
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Tremorfa21 May 2018
Best job ever they have great staff and great management. I have really enjoyed working with the service users too and watching them achive goals through our support.
Pros
Great staff
Work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 May 2018
working for the council was rewarding and I did enjoy my time within the job, however I did sometimes have problems with pay and pension but these were normally corrected within a short time frame.
Good people to work with
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 May 2018
Good people to work with, My main duties was working as part of a team doing door to door leaflets an making outbound calls to companies to advertise their business.
Pros
Good Shifts
Cons
Hitting targets
Excellent working teams
Special Needs Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 May 2018
Very physical job. Duties and responsibilities increased each year. Pay rise not consistent with inflation.

Excellent team support, very rewarding job role, learnt something new each day. Plenty of opportunity for personal development.

Most days worked through break. Short lunch time of 30 minutes meant toilet visit, catch up with friends AND heating up food and eating it frequently impossible, however short days and term time only meant 12 weeks off throughout the year.
Pros
Term time only as worked in a school
Cons
Very low pay for the job carried out, Payrise not consistent with inflation, Unsuitable job title as the job was more health and care based than education.
Average Employer
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 April 2018
Worked here on a temporary contract.
Expected to know everything and left alone to plod on with cases.

Staff were amazing and to some degree so were management but seemed to have little awareness or insight in to newly qualified social workers and how to help them.

As CCC is such a large employer my experience may be different in another team and is only my own experience.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Poor Training.
Bureaucratic
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  County hall12 April 2018
Too many meetings with senior managers, qualifications more important than experience.
Training offered. Hot desking now in place
Good work life balance.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Car parking