Cardiff Council

Cardiff Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom139 reviews
fun and rewarding role
assisting children with a variety of activities thoughout the day, lunchtime duties, playtime duties, assisting senior leaders with various tasks such as photocopying, preparing work for children. i enjoy working with children and the staff where i work are lovely and make the job a lot more fun.
hated it. stressful and underpaid
wasn't happy at all with working for them. They are selective in whom they employ based. If your face fits then you are ok. unfortunately. hated working for them.
Dreadful culture
Absolutely no progression route, inter departmental scrabble constantly for power. It's not about services or quality, its about senior officers gaining power politically to enhance their progression
Everyone is friendly , no stress
Top Job,, be hard to find another like it for wages,, work life balance. All managers helpful,, good training,, benefits, support and hopefully security.
Avoid
It's ok if you like being in a job where the other drivers are on the radio grassing each other up all the time trying they best to get the loaders or the new drivers sacked it's a job for you
More work, less staff
Over the last 10 years the council has continued to provide services to its citizens with less staff and resources than ever before.

The staff work hard in very difficult circumstances
Well intentioned chaos
The first thing that hits you when you enter Willcox House in south Cardiff is the smell of the toilets, it’s all downhill from there. As a new recruit you might want to see an organisation chart of your dept., or the council even, well tough luck there aren’t any. Perhaps business process descriptions???? 😊😊😊 you’re joking. Well you might find out more on the induction course, except there isn’t one. Training is basically picking up the job from those around, which is how to permanently embed bad practice and inefficiency. IT systems are a ragbag of the monstrous SAP, various out of date packages and uncoordinated bespoke applications built and maintained on a sort of hobby basis by one or two individuals who hopefully will never leave or fall under a bus. Still, maybe your managers will help? Unlikely, between my post and the council cabinet member responsible, there were four managers, two of whom I never saw in a year of working there, as for the chief executive I visualised him as some wizard of oz figure, although I never made it to the emerald city.
Pros
Most of the staff really try to deliver a good service to the people of Cardiff.
Cons
Negligible training, low salaries, the constant threat of cuts, unresponsive and barely visible managers, lack of further opportunities, and poor office accommodation IT systems and equipment.
decent
really good job I enjoyed being a litter picker it was quite relaxed working for council but one thing you cant do miss work no matter what circumstance they will give you three days a week so you can quit because they know you not making enough money but if you know you never miss work this is the job for you
Good benefits such as pay, holiday entitlements, pensions. A great opportunity to gain experience and develop in all aspects.
Good benefits such as pay, holiday entitlements and pension. An excellent opportunity to gain experience and develop in all aspects.
A very knowledgeable company with people of all area of life to complete a united workforce.
Stressful and lacking teamwork
A hard environment to work in and a culture of Us and Them between ground staff and management. Cardiff council has all the policies and guidelines in place but doesnt actually follow them.
perfect for students
- very good salary
- hours are perfect for students

- easy to pick up and cancel shifts

- relaxed environments

- meet new people

- easy work

- management is good
Great
Great really enjoyed working there. I worked on various sites; City Hall, Grangetown Library, Malfa Shopping Centre and Mansion House. I was able to work many hours and earn a good salary.
Pros
Many hours available to work
Cons
Not many
Great pension
Good entry level jobs, harder to progress past middle management. Some great people but often decision making from top level can be bemusing and makes working there difficult if you are passionate
Pros
Pension, easy to get to a decent level
Cons
Senior management can be illogical
School based work
Cardiff Council is a fair company to work for my review is based more on the school In which I based throughout my employment with them. Staff there are welcoming in regards to new employees. I feel management can be biased when giving out job advancements aimed more to those who have a personal relationship or friendship with rather than on merit.
Loved it here
I only took this job to leave the one I hated.

Ended up loving the environment and colleagues.

Decent pay for the work I did which was ridiculously easy. Good holiday allowance and policies for things like medical appointments.

Flexitime was amazing.

Free parking.

Left as the job wasn’t anything to do with my degree. However I did love the job but maybe not as suited to young people! Great experience of an office though and I worked with brilliant people!
Pros
Amazing staff, culture, flexitime
Cons
Not much progression
Very good.
Very good employer.
Look after their staff.

Very good health and safety.

Pension scheme.

Good hourly rate.

Very good. Keep you busy at all times.

I enjoy working Cardiff City Council.
Enjoyed working within waste management team
Only issue I had was nothing was secure as was waiting outcome of a fraud investigation which was still ongoing 14 months later?

Also OM level management up to Director are not strong enough in leading the team, no one committed to making a decision, possiblty due to potential back stabbing which was,rife. Also, due to incompetence and general ignorance of business practices in the waste industry. Therefore, working procedures etc.are not deemed essential from higher perspective!

On a positive note, things were improving, but only due to a dynamic individuial drafted in on secondment to cover suspended parties, pending outcome of investigation.
Steady Role
I found this role quite boring to be honest. The management were particularly demansing and I made the choice to leave. However I did learn about contract negotiation.
Pros
Cons
Dull
work culture
Demanding job, however alot of disregard in work, no credit given.
The fast paced environment is very demanding, so If you believe a procedure is not being followed it should be brought up in meetings and and notified to all staff. Also managers need to be equal in to all workers
Working
Fun workplace learned how to replace a kitchen
Placed floorboards

Replace bath learned about sink pipes

Placed demand on Windows redone skirting

Overall it was a good experience
Amazing experience
I loved working as a refuse collector it is probably my favourite job I’d love to be back working there I met loads of people, it was very challenging when it came to map reading but a very useful life skill learnt how to work as a crew some days were very wet and others very sunny can’t complain about anything.
Pros
Plenty of walking
Cons
Wet and smelly
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cardiff Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Cardiff Council Reviews by Location