Cardiff Council Employee Reviews

Good people to work with
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 May 2018
Good people to work with, My main duties was working as part of a team doing door to door leaflets an making outbound calls to companies to advertise their business.
Pros
Good Shifts
Cons
Hitting targets
Excellent working teams
Special Needs Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 May 2018
Very physical job. Duties and responsibilities increased each year. Pay rise not consistent with inflation.

Excellent team support, very rewarding job role, learnt something new each day. Plenty of opportunity for personal development.

Most days worked through break. Short lunch time of 30 minutes meant toilet visit, catch up with friends AND heating up food and eating it frequently impossible, however short days and term time only meant 12 weeks off throughout the year.
Pros
Term time only as worked in a school
Cons
Very low pay for the job carried out, Payrise not consistent with inflation, Unsuitable job title as the job was more health and care based than education.
Average Employer
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 April 2018
Worked here on a temporary contract.
Expected to know everything and left alone to plod on with cases.

Staff were amazing and to some degree so were management but seemed to have little awareness or insight in to newly qualified social workers and how to help them.

As CCC is such a large employer my experience may be different in another team and is only my own experience.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Poor Training.
Bureaucratic
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  County hall12 April 2018
Too many meetings with senior managers, qualifications more important than experience.
Training offered. Hot desking now in place
Good work life balance.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Car parking
Challenging ,fun working enviroment
LSA (Current Employee) –  School2 April 2018
Working as an LSA I can say that each day is different I work with a friendly team of people. You face new challenges each day and it is a rewarding job when working with children. My head teacher is a friendly ,caring person and is grateful to all staff members.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Poor pay
Typical day
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff29 March 2018
My typical day consists of logging onto my PC and setting up all the systems that I need for the day.
I then open the building and start to serve customers and help them with any queries they may have.
Management are there now and again but it is a nice place to work. The hardest part of my job is when I go for interviews and I don't do very well and turned down.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my colleagues and also helping customers who really appreciate the hard work we all do for them on a daily basis
Enjoyable place too work
Housing Tenancy & Benefits Officer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff City, Cardiff23 March 2018
Cardiff Council is a very lovely place to work with lost of opportunities to move up the ladder too senior positions. Management are very approachable who do there best to help you succeed
Pros
Good working hours
Quality Employer
Leisure Assistant (Former Employee) –  Various22 March 2018
Spent a great 25 years working for the council! Really good company to work for, lots of perks. The management were great and really helpful. Recommend to anyone.
Pros
Sick pay
It Was Okay
Connect to Cardiff Trainee (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff13 March 2018
The call centre was either busy or not, there was no in between. I learned how to log calls, how to send applications, I learned how to speak to people with manners. I also learned how to handle heated situations. the hardest part of the job I found was taking phone calls and sounding professional, because I was scared, I was always saying 'ummm'. the most enjoyable part of working for Connect To Cardiff was the training and learning how to take calls, also meeting the staff there and having a laugh with everyone was my favourite too.
Pros
you had real nice customers who liked having a chat while you found some information for them.
Cons
when there wasnt any calls, just sitting there doing nothing eventually got boring.
Great place to work!
Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff26 February 2018
No day is the same! learn something new every day!
fun, fast and full of energised people! great people to work alongside! Great place to work! Your team ultimately become part of your family!
Pros
flexible working
Cons
no cateen ; (
Hard working, fun environment
CCTV Operator (Current Employee) –  Cardiff9 February 2018
A day that is never the same. You always need to have your wits about you.

I have a good team around me in the CCTV room who do a professional job best to their ability.
Pros
Rest Days
Cons
working weekends
If on a permanent contract, it's perfect
Investigation and Data Loss Officer (Current Employee) –  COUNTY HALL18 January 2018
Fixed term contracts are what you'll usually find, which is okay if you're happy to drift between departments and change things up often. You'll gain lots of experience and meet lots of people and get lots of training. The downside is that permanent contracts are exceptionally difficult to come by.
Pros
salary, training, diversity, opportunities
Cons
short term contracts, instability with funding
emmergency
DAY SERVICE SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff13 January 2018
service need to be seriously investigate. the management is no good people get dismiss for one mistake and people get away for bad stuff they constantly . that management know and do nothing about it. they disorganised , they have go no clues of what they are doing
Really good post
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff9 January 2018
This was a central finance role working with the Coordinators and Project workers. Budget monitoring was a key responsibility as well as being the certifying officer of payments to suppliers
Pros
responsible position
Cons
Great for working parents with young children
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff2 January 2018
If you're looking to work during term time only then working in school catering for Cardiff Council is perfect. Far too much red tape though which means sometimes doing the actual job at hand comes second. Upper management is hit and miss, some are great and some simply want the status and don't actually do their job.Very frustrating for the lower managers to do their jobs properly but expected to perform to an excellent standard while maintaining targets which can prove impossible a lot of the time.
Pros
Only work during term time. Good opportunities for promotion and training.
Cons
Poor upper management
Good workplace.
Tourist Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff13 December 2017
Small team which works well together. Steady place to work.
Enjoyable and interactive with public, improves customer service skills and admin skills, along with knowledge of Cardiff.
Experience not to be repeated
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Children's14 November 2017
Former social worker, bullying culture (from management) and co workers too busy with their own case load to be helpful. Leaving was the best thing I ever did!
Pros
Near swimming pool
Cons
Low morale, no support
amazing place to work
Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Cardiff10 November 2017
best place ive worked for by far, staff are all friendly. management is spot on, pay is good, hours are really good, the only reason i left is because i wanted to try something different
good place to work for
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 October 2017
• Facilitated one-to-one interviews, meetings and workshops with internal and external stakeholders to gather requirements
• Conducted feasibility study to determine that the requirements collected are viable technically, operationally and economically.
• Raised business proposition document based on the initial requirements and raised change request to go through the PMO process.
nice place to work
School Cleaner (Current Employee) –  cardiff high school7 September 2017
cleaning all areas of the school ,deep cleaning of the classrooms.kitchen and stairs
lovely place to work staff are friendly ,will be sad to leave .made some great friends ,
Pros
pension
Cons
school holidays are exoensive to go away