Cardiff Bus Employee Reviews

good job poorly managed
Bus Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 April 2019
enjoyable job, can be stressful, customers take frustration out on drivers. current management ruining company. extra overtime available. good rates of pay.
Pros
Comradery
Cons
management
fellow drivers O.K dont listen to H.R or Managers promises
driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff10 October 2018
worked for them for a year their H,R, will promise anything on starting but will renage later promise of work on park and ride and to go to part time work. although vacancies are avalable they will not follow up. complain and reponse is I will look in to it. although I did enjoy the job, unsocial hours much of what others say is true. if you dont want to pay for your training stay for the 12 or 18 monyhs you signed up to
Pros
workmates helpful
Cons
unsocial hrs
Awful management. Lack of communication.
PCV Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff15 March 2018
The job could be a million times better if management actually listened to the drivers and actually cared or were interested in thier development. Training is non existent. thier disciplinary process is a well oiled machine with drivers facing written warning weekly. If they provided decent training and development they would wouldn't have so many accidents.

Drivers are treated as commoditys and they have no interest in providing a work life balance. you will work every weekend and your days off are all over the shop. you are told when you have your winter and summer leave. good luck trying to organise anything in your personal life. if you do want to book a day they always say no unless you book months in advance.

It's a toxic environment where office staff and drivers are completely separate with an us and them mentality. Certain managers can't even force themselves to say hello if you pass them in the street.

The feeling I get is they are a sinking ship with no captain. management and directors don't want a change they probably are quite happy collecting thier overinflated wages.

If your happy being treated like dirt on your shoe and you have no social life this job is for you. if you want to be treated with respect go to several other bus companies in the local area.

Avoid this company at all costs.
Pros
paid breaks, competitive wage for bus driving, free travel on network.
Cons
long hours, no appreciation, no duty of care, very poor training.
Terrible.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff17 February 2018
Good pay, that's it. Everything else is terrible. The company is awful and the job (for any bus company) is even worse. Company constantly advertising for drivers... just ask yourself why when jobs are so very hard to come by nowadays.
hmm
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff29 January 2018
ok i guess if you like that sort of thing you wont get paid much more doing this type of work not sure about job security as ongoing problems within the company
Ok Work place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff21 January 2018
Stressful job, money good early morning and late finish on a shift pattern. Can be a good place to work would be better if management wasn’t on your back over the smallest things
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Shift work
Badly managed, poor working hours and useless HR
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 December 2017
I worked here for 2.5 years until I became ill. Instead of allowing me to work light duties at my return to work, they instead broke H&S law and put me on even longer duties instead of a slow increment back into work. I would never work in this industry again and certainly wouldn’t work for Cardiff Bus who seem to have some particularly nasty colleagues and equally nasty supervisors. It’s all about profit and their staff mean nothing. Profit first always.
Pros
Free bus pass
Cons
10 day shifts in a row that are staggered all over the place.
it can be as good or bad, as you make it.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Cardiff26 November 2017
i am still employed in company. i do school runs morning and afternoon, in between i do normal service work, as long as you do your job you are left alone.
Pros
free uniforms, company pension ? at the moment.
fun workplace
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff4 October 2017
helping others with cleaning,cashier work which i love helping others i am a people person as i try to help to the best of my abilities and the other way round.
Pros
productive work but good
driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff30 April 2017
good company,but attitude towards workers sometimes could be a lot better.extrashifts put on you without asking or telliny you in advance,so no time to prepare
Pros
free travel
Cons
not much of a life
good company to work for
PCV Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff19 January 2017
good company to work for pay and conditions for cardiff, a typical is drive a bus and pick up passengers. Management needs restruction.
hardest part of job is moaning passengers.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
Okay place, until you're sick
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff2 July 2016
Enjoyed much of my time there. For the most part friendly staff and drivers. Complaints from the public followed up mercilessly, with the driver concerned guilty until proven innocent. I never had sick time whilst there but saw how some colleagues were hounded when they went sick, receiving calls at home every few days and called into meetings with management weekly Ignorant passengers a pain. because they know the companys' track record of sacking drivers they think they can get away with murder. More than once I was told 'you'll be in the office in the morning driver' by some moron who hadn't bothered to ring the bell or ask you to stop but still expected you to know they had wanted to alight at the stop you had just passe..
Pros
Dealing with nice passengers, wages, the highest amongst bus companies in the area, paid breaks.
Cons
Dealing with miserable and ignorant members of the public, also miserable fellow drivers, management immediately blaming drivers for complaints/accidents before proper investigation, don't go sick
Avoid at all costs...
Trainee pcv driver (Former Employee) –  cardiff22 July 2015
I only spent two months there and walked out after finishing the training.
The training is a joke, you will spend a week in the classroom going over and over and over the theory etc to pass your cpc test, then you will spend two weeks learning to drive a bus. Well if you call being in a group of four or five people on the bus and each getting around 1 - 1.5 hour of actual driving per day MAX, adequate training then by all means go for it.
The instructors are only interested in competing with each other as to who can pass the most pupils, and the rest of their time is spent commenting on passing females, telling you how awful the job has become, telling you that you will have a crash in your first six months, and clock watching as they are now on a cushy mon - fri number and they want to get home.
Then you will spend two weeks on route training, which will be driving around various routes (once) and being expected to remember every detail about the route, as we all suspected in the group I was in this was all to cover their own backsides when you are out by yourself and you take a wrong turn, they can then say that you have been trained on that route and if it happens again then you are out.
Cardiff bus own several different types of bus and you will need to 'have a go' in all of them, again to cover themselves to say you have been trained on every bus type should something happen. Typically with this company the types of busses we were meant to learn to operate were never there (all out on service) and we would wait around in the canteen for hours on end.
They made me
  more... pay for the cost of the training which is not worth the paper its written on as pcv drivers are ten a penny and no reputable company likes to take on qualified but no experience drivers.
They also made me pay for a uniform I never received which I thought very unfair but simply cannot be bothered arguing about anymore.
If you have ever wondered why there are so many Cardiff Bus drivers walking aimlessly around the city centre its because they don't have any canteen or rest room facilities so you have to 'entertain yourself' basically. Your start and finish times will be different every day so you cannot really have any structure to your life other that total commitment to Cardiff Bus, oh yes and you don't start and finish in the same place every day, so you may start at midday at the bus station but finish in the evening at the bus depot in leckwith. SO WHAT you may say.....
Well this means that if you have to drive to work you will need to drive and park at the Leckwith depot, then walk or bus into town to your starting point this is so your car will be at your finishing point, all added commuting to your day.
Management are typical management only interested in profits and revenue, and a great deal of the staff (not all) are stereo typical 1970's dinosaurs whose conversations revolve around the union and the social club.
Pros
Cons
Everthing
company finance pressure put on staff.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff20 June 2014
Pick up a bus with my timetable ,maybe as many as four different buses four different pick up points.
Dealing with passengers .
most enjoyable part of the job having a laugh with the passengers.
Pros
Meeting the good public
Cons
Meeting the not so good public
Was a good place to work
Driver/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff21 August 2013
Enjoyed working for them until I got ill. The support stopped almost straight away and they laid me off with 3 months pay, whilst I was ill.
Pros
Good pay and lots of perks
Cons
Ensure you don't get ill!!!
a very good place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS7 August 2013
going in to work taking on my duty for the day and driving different places each day every day is different your learning new things all the time.managing my job each day was easy,i get on well with all my co workers.there was nothing hard about my job at all.every thing about my job was enjoyable.
Pros
Cons
comfotable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cardiff Bus. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7