Card Factory Employee Reviews

productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme21 June 2018
During my job at the card factory I carried out customer service jobs such as working on the tills. The hardest part of the job was that there was a lot of demand as there was few workers and many customers over the busy christmas period which often meant that customers were unhappy
Pros
good hours
Cons
bad organisation
It's flexible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston18 June 2018
If you're a student this' good. Work hours are really flexible and can bend around what else you have going on in life. It's a pretty chill workplace when it isn't Christmas. However, management and training is awful. So many things I wasn't taught that I had to learn from coworkers that management should've told me.
Pros
Flexible, chill environment
Cons
Lack of communication
Rewarding experinece
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham17 June 2018
This job was a great experience and taught me some major key skills to use in the future, although there was a few cons to the job such as long hours, busy days, customer complaints etc. there were also many advantages such as meeting new people everyday and helping people. this job taught how to be patient and remain calm even in the most chaotic of times.
enjoyable
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Clevedon, Somerset11 June 2018
i enjoyed working at card factory, i was well respected as a person and a manager, rota was always completed on time and i was able to have a work life balance
busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester10 June 2018
setting up the store ready for customers to come a shop, management always made you feel on edge or that you hadn't done enough at any given point, workplace culture wasn't a very nice one as staff would easily turn on one another
Easy job, bad management
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 June 2018
I worked at the card factory for a few months over the Christmas period. It was good in terms of how easy it was, it's not brain surgery. I didn't dread going in, everyone got on well and the customers were fine.

The only bad parts were the management and the pay. The management was awful because the manager and assistant manager would always go out for a cigarette, 3 or 4 times during my shift and for about 15/20 minutes at a time. I was left in charge of the shop all on my own, and if a customer needed a refund or to speak to a manager I'd have to make them wait 20 minutes for the manager to come back from their cigarette to sort it.

At the end of each shift you had to sweep the floors and tidy the cards, which you didn't get paid for. If the tills were wrong when the managers were cashing up then you'd have to stay even longer. My shifts ended at 8pm and I always ended up leaving at 9/9:30pm and never got paid the extra hour/hour and a half. The pay was really low for minimum wage and my age.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
A lot of unpaid hours, bad management
Job ok Management poor
Sales Colleague (Former Employee) –  Brecon, Powys7 June 2018
Seems same looking at other reviews, the job is ok but it depends on which branch you work at and how the management is. Store colleagues mixed, some ok and nice to work with but some were favorites of Manager and had a chip on their shoulder because they were treated better. Too much stock of some items, hard to store away where expected due to poor stock rotation and stock control. Learned how to use a till. Fast staff turnaround at this branch.
Unprofessional workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex5 June 2018
Unequal treatment of employees
Hectic atmosphere
My details for payment weren't taken and as I result I was never paid for a month's work
I was given rude treatment when I decided to leave
They weren't accommodating to my college schedule
Pros
Friendly collegues
Cons
Unfair treatment
Terrible manager
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon5 June 2018
pay was low only £4.06 an hour for 16 year old and managers and other staff would treat you like dirt and expect you to work on the tills for 8 hours straight standing in one spot. nobody would help you on the tills when it became busy and customers look at you like dirt as well. overall terrible company to work for.
Pros
going home
Cons
going to work
Good people, poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire5 June 2018
The job was fine day-to-day, although I was mostly on tills for every shift. Nice people to chat with during hours, but there's an obvious divide between the staff and the management - like the management isn't aware of how busy the shop can be. Even on the busiest days, there would only be 3 or 4 people on the rota due to come in. Within a couple weeks of my time there, I spent quite a bit of time alone at the tills despite there being a lot of customers.
Regardless, there was always things to do, it was simple work, and I never dreaded going in.
Pros
Things to do
Cons
Management, short-staffed
Badly managed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westcroft4 June 2018
At the store I worked in at Westcroft one of the key holders was very rude to all the staff, and even shouted at me in front of customers when I wasn’t at work
Pros
Cons
Bad keyholder
Love it
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ruislip2 June 2018
I love working for this amazing company, the pay it not the best but it is good to start with for your first job, the people I work with are amazing and really nice, if you have considered for applying for card factory don’t hesitate it’s is busy and there is so much to learn and how the company work
Pros
Busy and lots to do, people are nice
Cons
Bad pay
Fun workplace but do not get paid when you should
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 June 2018
I worked as a sales assistant at Card Factory around Christmas time. When I first started working there, I did not get trained so I had quickly pick up the different discounts and offers that were on offer and how to use a till ect which didn’t bother me that much as I felt like I picked up easily while working there. The manager and colleagues were really nice and had no problem with them. However, getting paid on time was a massive issue I had while working here. I worked for three months as it was temporary. I didn’t get paid the first month of working there or my two weeks in hand that I had done. I then got told I would get my two weeks in hand when I left!!! I got my January pay in March when I left work. I still hadn’t received my two weeks in hand when I left work so I had to keep ringing and contacting my manager. However, communication between manager and head office is so poor and you will be waiting ages to receive your money! I also felt like they were giving me so many excuses as to why I wasn’t getting paid when a normal payroll department would sort the money out very quickly. The work was pretty simple and easy and only gets busy during Christmas time/mother’s day and other special occasions like that.
Pros
Manager and colleagues were nice
Cons
Issues with pay
Great work place
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich22 May 2018
Great work with great people and a great atmosphere I was only here for a short period of time but I enjoyed my time their, as this was on seasonal.
The staff are great and always happy to help when you need it.
They give you a great boost confidence also.
Pros
Great job
Cons
Your legs get tired and sometimes taking stock upstairs which is really heavy is a killer
Nice new store
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 May 2018
I do enjoying working for the company. It would be even better if the hourly rate for managment was higher but then I'm sure everyone says that.
Friendly staff good discount and it's close to home.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
The hours are long for management
Great colleagues, everything else is awful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Teignmouth, Devon21 May 2018
This place is exhausting to work for, shifts are all over the place, it's either way too much one week or not nearly enough the next. 9 hour shifts still only warrant a half hour break. Pay is abysmal considering what is expected of you and how draining it is, no energy whatsoever lefover for home life or socialising after a shift.

Had to chase up my pay for an entire month and I'm still waiting for that to get sorted, and what I'm expected is still a horrendously low amount for the work I do. Make sure you log your hours if you consider working here.

Don't expect to be self sufficient and make a decent wage to live off.

Colleagues are fantastic and near enough the only upside to working for this company.
Pros
Colleagues and discount
Cons
Short breaks, long erratic hours, terrible pay (if you do get paid at all) draining repetetive work.
fun easygoing
Christmas Temporary Staff (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne20 May 2018
Card Factory is a easy going fun environment to work in gives you great social skills and is a trustworthy company to work in. it also gives you the chance to learn how to handle money correctly and work a till hands on.
Pros
job roles
Cons
salary
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire19 May 2018
I have learned after spending five years in retail on a part time basis, that retail is not the avenue I wish to explore, as this for me was a role that helped me pay for my travel to and from university.
Excellent place to work
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent17 May 2018
Love my team and my manager, enjoy working with customers and peak seasons, unfortunately the hrs r not available and I have a family to provide for,
Cons
No hours available
Work Space
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe17 May 2018
A typical day would start with the necessary till and safe checks along with daily paperwork then delegating to my team of staff about what needs to be completed by the end of the day any new promotions or stock that have come in, making them aware of any changes if any and also making sure they are confident in what they are doing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Factory. Our community is ready to answer.