Card Factory Employee Reviews

Wouldn't Recommend
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Kinnaird5 October 2017
Working as a sales assistant at Card Factory was the first job I had. When I first joined I had a terrible manager and felt highly uncomfortable as I didn't feel like I could ask for a change of hours or anything. When she left, the new assistant manager replaced her and things were good, I got better hours and she helped out a lot more. For the most part my time at Card Factory wasn't that bad, despite the measly £4.06 an hour because of my age, which I highly disagree with, minus the management team we are all sales assistants I don't see what she has to do with anything? It's discrimination. However over recent months things have changed. A new assistant manager was hired and I feel like I'm back working with my old manager, there have been times when she has not spoken to me at all during the course of a shift and pretended I do not exist, she blows hot and cold with you so you never know if you're going to get called "darling" or blatantly ignored. She also showed blatant favouritism towards another coworker even going as far as to admit it as well. Also, in some situations my manager always uses herself as an example to others meaning once when I tried to phone in sick, after explaining my symptoms I was told that she felt the same yet she was still in the work place but bearing in mind I found it difficult to even leave my bed because of how sick I was. I recently had a meeting with my manager where she told me that I had been off 6 times in 3 months and that I was only supposed to have 3 absences, I explained why I was off and I also said that I'd had a few problems  more... in school because of being off sick as well. A few days later, I was told by a colleague that my manager had decided to share with another employee that "she's also been getting into trouble at school so I'm not the only one who noticed it, her mum spoils her" I was severely offended that my manager had decided to comment on my mothers parenting skills when she had had numerous conversations with my mother and knew how kind she was. I was also shocked that a manager would be so unprofessional and discuss my personal business with someone else, she had no right. I've worked there for almost 6 months and out of these months I've only been properly paid maybe twice, the company was constantly "not receiving" our details which would cause us to lose out on a whole month's pay and we were just expected to sit there and accept it! It's actually a shocking company, for the standards we are supposed to reach the low pay, managers who speak of something their employees trusted them with, patronising management and the workload we are meant to complete, it's not been the best experience as a first job. I'm very happy with who I work with, I get along with the team and I will miss them but just these flaws are causing me to leave the company.  less
Pros
Good people to get along with
Cons
Low pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston2 October 2017
Everyday I was there on time. Communicated and guided customers all the time and helped out with any tasks given. I was then till trained and responsible for looking after and dealing with money which allowed me to proceed within the Job. It was only christmas temp and I learned a lot and got good experience out of it
Pros
Was till trained giving me experience for future jobs
Cons
Bad pay for really long hours
awful
manager (Former Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London29 September 2017
worst job ever this company wil expect you to work extra hours for nothing there are no good points about this company I would not encourage anyone to work for them
O hours contract
SHOP ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Porthcawl26 September 2017
no security..no guaranteed work..no notice on shifts.. called upon at any time and expected to jump to be able to oblige..no loyalty.. job itself ok.. meant to get upto 16hrs, most offered was 10hrs per week.. useless
Hard working and productive place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex25 September 2017
I enjoyed working at Card Factory as the people I worked with were amazing to work with and always made it a good environment to be in. Some of the work was hard especially at peak times such as Christmas and other important days however this just meant everyone worked together to get the jobs done to ensure everything got done in time. I learned new skills from working there and working with the people I met there and how to work in a retail job and the skills needed such as learning about the products and how they should be presented and promoted.
The hardest part of the job was the rush of customers around Christmas time as it was the busiest time of year however it was also good as it meant everyone worked harder and together even more to get all the jobs done and keep the customers happy.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people I worked with as they were encouraging, imaginative, hard working and fun to be around.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Low pay and not always appreciated.
Productive,very nice and helpfull
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland Harbour25 September 2017
I really enjoyed working at the card fanctory i met some wonderfull people and learnt loads of new things i didnt know ,it was a great expirence but it just wasnt for me i liked it just i couldnt do it full time the travel was very good aswell just busses would be late and some didnt come.the thing i liked the most was working on the shop floor sorting out the stock
Pros
Two breaks
Cons
Busses
First job
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  England23 September 2017
Honestly it’s like slave labour for those under 18. Working at Christmas for long hours and on less than £4 an hour. Would not recommend for those who don’t enjoy very fast paced environment. Everything else is fine apart from the salary.
Its not a good placw to work
Former sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Ebbw Vale, Blaenau Gwent23 September 2017
The girls are great to work with,but the manager is very stroppy and the way she speaks to her staff is disgusting. There is no need for it. I couldn't work with her again. They need a new manager soon
Pros
Its ok to work for
Cons
Not a very nice manager
Horrible place to work!
Sales Assistant/ Trainee Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Warrington22 September 2017
The job is absolutely horrible, the area managers are power trips, the managers are lazy, and are usually always sat on there phones in the back or make staff feel uncomfortable by saying phrases such as (were not friends) bulling staff members with anxiety and mental illnesses, the shops are filthy and overall I'd never work here again, not to say they'll hire a younger person because they can pay them less they never give out decent fixed term contract so you won't get holiday pay, they don't care about the staffs needs and they overall suck! Definitely look elsewhere.
Pros
Staff, customers
Cons
Management, organisation
Not very productive and enjoyable environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester/ Harpurhey21 September 2017
Basically, the other staff members were alright to be around. However, they often call other members of staff behind their backs and wasn't really polite to each other at times. But they was very nice to customers and was able to help each customer.
Pros
Discounts from the shop.
Cons
Not many hours.
People meet rewarding job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont Leys18 September 2017
Generally fine. Management OK quite pleasant work with a small amount of incoming shelf/ off loading work. Pleasant staff at my branch.
Hectic at the tills especially on the run up to Christmas.
Pros
Clean conditions
Cons
Little change of advancement.
So bad ! Do not work here
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh18 September 2017
Minimum wage, 4.06 an hour is ridiculous for the job at hand. I worked there for 4 months & only got 2 months pay !! Finally after chasing up my pay (and many other of my colleagues) for 2 months i got my pay. Also when u do get paid you get missing hours !! Anywhere from 1 to even 20 hours unpaid !! The management in my card factory were amazing for the most part (except for blatant favouritism) however card factory management as a whole belittle you and patronise you, just because they're higher up. Horrible company to work for.
On the plus side i was comfortable in my workplace and enjoyed working with most of my colleagues and i woll moss some of the staff :).
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Horrible management, fail to pay, unpaid breaks
rubbish
Keyholder Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex17 September 2017
didnt like working here at all, highter managment treat you .like criminals. worst place i have ever worked
workinkg overtmime for no extra incetives wokring alll seasons of the year it jjust not nice
My first job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands15 September 2017
Worked as a Christmas temp but then stayed much longer. Cashier and stock taker. Good for your first job, easy and fast-paced. Minimum wage - no raises.
fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne14 September 2017
i really enjoy working at the card factory at christmas time it always very busy around that time of year and all the staff were very welcoming and helpful
Too little salary
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Littlehampton13 September 2017
My average all day work starts with setting up money in tills and signing in to work. Then I have to serve customers all day and if not doing that, then tidy up around the shop and help stock shelves and open boxes. It seems that I'm always on the till all day at work unless I'm going to lunch (lunch is 30 minutes, can only eat in the office area and is unpaid. Also you are expected to do balloon orders if any come through whether you are on lunch or not), the staff don't seem to ever get on the tills unless it gets busy, they are either tidying or doing something else in the office which is unknown to me. The toilets are a mess, with there actually being a 10cm diameter hole in the wall near the ceiling in one of them. There are often leaks too, which makes me feel unsafe at work.
Cons
Long hours and insufficient facilities.
It was very productive.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Yorkshire9 September 2017
It was a zero hours contract 1 week I was guaranteed hours the next week i wouldn't have any. It got really busy at times and you to try and serve as many customers as you could during the busy period.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
No guarnteed hours
work
Sales Assitant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire7 September 2017
overall wasn't a bad place to work i liked the people i worked with but were often treat badly by customers and even management, i had 3 managers in the space of 10 months and often they didn't give me my entitled breaks.
Pros
close with staff
Cons
managment and area manager
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim7 September 2017
This job is a brilliant job to be at but just wasn't the job for me as I like to work a lot but didn't have much work to do here, it was quiet at times in the shop
Pros
1 hour
Cons
7 hours
Gaining knowledge and confidence
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kirkstall7 September 2017
Card Factory is a great working environment to learn and advance skills. A normal day would be serving on the till while helping customers. On days where there would be a delivery i would unpack the van and order it upstairs in the stock room.

There wasn't a hard part of the job apart from when i started dealing with confidence while on the till as it can be quite nerve racking when you first start but after a two shifts i settled in.

The most enjoyable part of the job was chatting to customers as it was on my local high street. The people that i worked with were also amazing in teaching me new things, like explaining banking to me.
Pros
Relaxed working environment
Cons
Large deliveries

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Factory. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8