Card Factory Employee Reviews

Found 1,081 reviews matching the search See all 1,100 reviews
Not too bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warminster2 November 2018
Was okay at the start then you get to know the workers abit more and it got to personal people talked about others in a bad way I got under paid twice and to this day still waiting for my money.
Cons
Too personal
Good Teamwork
Christmas Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath, Greater London2 November 2018
Typically a day at work will include ensuring that the shop front is neat and packed with Christmas products to attract cusotmers to our store. In the build up to the Christmas period, every evening from 6 onwards, we were required to restock the shop in preparation for the next day which I deemed as a good tactic to avoid restocking products during the day which would disrupt us during the day. The
management was very good at the store and roles were allocated to employees in the best way possible. During the time I worked there I enjoyed working with my colleaugues as they made me feel like part of a team and a family.
Pros
Lunch breaks, staff discount
Management are awful
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 October 2018
Was not given the hours i was promised in my interview, management are lazy and like to ignore the job and staff are bullys and two faced. If you put holidays in and your made to work it or request days or times off and they give you shifts for them days or times. Was underpaid 3 months of the trot . its a easy job but staff make it horrible.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Would not recommend to even someone I hate
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Marple26 October 2018
Its a good job if your only wanting to work 4-8 hours a week, then 30 at season time, and also good if you don't want to develop in a role.
The staff are nice and its a family environment to work in (staff look after each other), some very crafty and sneaky managers that rob you of hours and some have unpaid staff in big amounts.
Its fun to help with the shop moves and working on merchandising the stores for seasons e.g. Christmas, mothers day etc. there's nothing else going for the job.
The Area Managers are really horrible and don't care about anyone, all they want is for stores to get past their targets so the area managers get their bonuses. Its a lot like with some managers, there really push staff to sell more and more extra products to customers so they get a bonus.
When you need support you don't really get it, the training is bad you just have to figure it out on your own, and the rotas change without notice nearly everyday.
Pros
Discount, nice family friendly environment, nice staff, ok job advancement
Cons
Low job security, no bonus for staff actually doing the work, no rewards, no thank you from area managers or company
few members of staff were friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire23 October 2018
Most of the staff got on well although some got away with a lot. I enjoyed being friendly with customers. A few members of the staff would sit round the back with the manager and have a chat while the rest of us worked non stop
Pros
made amate
Cons
short breaks
fun place to work and can learn alot.
Key Holder/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire16 October 2018
Good place to work as hours can be flexible if you need a part time work or a low number of hours per week. I had this job when I was In college doing my A levels and it worked out perfect! lots of over time at Christmas too.
Pros
down to earth people
Cons
high staff turn over
stressful
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Wales14 October 2018
get paid minimum and work a lot of hours unpaid, management are good but no support from the company, just unrealistic targets. Christmas is fun with the staff
very good first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitton13 October 2018
very good first job and I only worked the weekends sometimes Friday to sunday. I have was given uniform and different tasks to complete almost every day I went to work
Pros
good pay for weekend job
Cons
small shop
Nice
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  West Midlands13 October 2018
I worked here as a Christmas temp and it was good. Got very busy but overall I would have stayed on after Christmas if I had the chance to. Pay wasn't too good as I was under 18 at that time. As I am a big fan of Christmas, it was a great place to work at this period of time as it was very Christmas related.
Pros
fun
Cons
busy
absolute disgrace
Customer Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Margate, Kent12 October 2018
disgusting management, bully. and very rude.
leaves you to the work while he clears off upstairs.
very rude to customers.
I think that a manager should have more experience than a young man with no customer service skills
not bad
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend11 October 2018
Very fast paced with lots of customers on a daily basis.
Have to keep up with stock movement and season changes for different holidays eg Christmas,Easter etc.
You will be expected to be quick and knowledgeable at all times.
Fast paced, fun
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackwood11 October 2018
You are busy all day, using till, dealing with customers , replenishment and keeping the shop floor tidy. I enjoyed working as a team. Fun environment.
Pros
Busy, fun place to work
Cons
Zero hour contact
Enjoyable retail sales experiences.
Profession- Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk10 October 2018
The card factory was a fast past retail environment. I was a Christmas temporary staff member. I gained valuable till experience and transferable retail knowledge such as, customer care, customer service, shop floor routines, delivery process, stock check and price checks, dealing with festive rush (Christmas).

I enjoyed the retail sales experience as I had to handle customer care up front. it was disappointing to be mislead about the temporary position.
Pros
Gaining valuable till skills which can be used in further work involvements.
Cons
Misleading position and lack of work hours - 0 hour contact.
Bad management, rude manager and team leader , peterborough
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queensgate peterborough9 October 2018
Management was rude at queensgate one, was rude in front of customers, treated like dirt. Get shouted at no reason.blt worth working there in the end.
Pros
Other lovely good friendly sales assistants, keeps u occupied
Cons
Rude management
if i could give a lower rating i would
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canvey Island9 October 2018
The management and employees at this "store" are self obsessed and incompetent. They prioritise working hours based on the people they are friends with. The people working there have no patience's and don't want to employee any person that they think is not their friend.
Pros
nothing
Cons
bullying
Okay for first time jobs
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 October 2018
Card Factory is usually busy especially with events coming up so you have to be quick on your feet (have to do tills, do balloon orders and stock shelves). Okay for 16 year olds as only pays minimum wage
Busy, yet fun atmosphere.
Retail/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ayr4 October 2018
A typical day was generally ensuring all cards and stock that was in the stock room, was out and available to customers. This could be difficult during busy seasonal times like Christmas.The job involved lots of till work, lifting heavy goods, and constant bending when putting cards from the drawer onto shelves. I learned how to conduct myself properly during disruptive moments with customers. Management was incredible, lots of opportunities to add extra hours and if time off was required, it could easily be arranged.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers who can bring your morale down dramatically, but the best part of the job was the incredible team I worked with every day.
Pros
Short shifts throughout the week.
Cons
Longer hours during special occasions e.g. Christmas or Mothers Day
Productive workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London4 October 2018
A typical day at work includes making sure shop is full and tidy for customers and making sure you sell as much as you can. the job keeps you busy so you're not bored all the time and it can be a fun workplace to work in.
Do not work for Card Factory
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Keighley, West Yorkshire28 September 2018
The job is fine and keeps you busy and most of the staff are friendly, thats where any positives end.
You are expected to perform tasks way above you pay grade, especially as a supervisor.
The pay is awful, the management are toxic and treat you as if you're dirt.
You have next to no chance of moving up or making a career of the job, and even if you did the pay is nothing, supervisors are paid 14 pence more an hour than basic staff members and expected to do the managers job.
Don't ever be expect to be thanked for your work, but expect to be criticized for every small mistake and told everything you have done is wrong, despite being given no guidance and no clear instruction.
They also expect you to stay late during seasonal changes, and scoff at the idea of paying you overtime or even paying you the hours worked.
It took me over 2 months to get my first paycheck and i was underpaid consistently every month, despite me logging my hours and arguing about my paycheck when it was down.
You basically end up training yourself since everyone in charge is either new due to high staff turn over, or is someone who is very unqualified for the job. I recall one day when the new assistant manager came in drunk and had to be sent home on her first day in store. I suppose if you pay peanuts, you get monkies.

All in all, dont work here, there are better jobs and much better companies out there. Dont waste your time with a company that cant even pay staff correctly and wont appreciate you in any way.
Pros
Job keeps your busy
Cons
Terrible management, low pay, payment disputes, no career progression, supervisors are given the same jobs as managers and paid nothing for it, unpaid overtime, poor work life balance, dont work here.
work hard
keyholder (Current Employee) –  Belfast25 September 2018
work very hard in a busy shop I have learned a lots of skills while working here have moved up from sales assistant to key holder very quickly the best part about my job is helping people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Factory. Our community is ready to answer.