Card Factory Pay & Benefits reviews

Nice new store
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 May 2018
I do enjoying working for the company. It would be even better if the hourly rate for managment was higher but then I'm sure everyone says that.
Friendly staff good discount and it's close to home.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
The hours are long for management
Great colleagues, everything else is awful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Teignmouth, Devon21 May 2018
This place is exhausting to work for, shifts are all over the place, it's either way too much one week or not nearly enough the next. 9 hour shifts still only warrant a half hour break. Pay is abysmal considering what is expected of you and how draining it is, no energy whatsoever lefover for home life or socialising after a shift.

Had to chase up my pay for an entire month and I'm still waiting for that to get sorted, and what I'm expected is still a horrendously low amount for the work I do. Make sure you log your hours if you consider working here.

Don't expect to be self sufficient and make a decent wage to live off.

Colleagues are fantastic and near enough the only upside to working for this company.
Pros
Colleagues and discount
Cons
Short breaks, long erratic hours, terrible pay (if you do get paid at all) draining repetetive work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loughborough13 May 2018
Staff were very nice. It was a great place to work, met so many nice people. Learnt many skills and improved my confidence. I would definitely work at another Card Factory store.
Pros
Lovely staff, long enough lunch breaks, decent hours.
Cons
Standing up for a long period of time will cause back and leg ache.
Awful management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry12 May 2018
Card Factory is not somewhere that you would want to work. If you are contracted 4 hours, you will only get 4 each week as that is the minimum you need to fulfil your contracted hours.

You are on minimum wage. 16-18 year olds are paid just over four pounds per hour. You are only entitled to a half hour break after six hours of work. Breaks are not included in your pay.

The management is poor. The manager at one of the stores in Coventry was informed of the hours I could work, yet she continued to give me shifts that I could not do and telling me it was my responsibility to get another member of staff to cover my shift.

I worked here for four months. For the first two I did not get paid properly. I got paid a back payment after three months of fighting for the money I earned.

I do not recommend working here. Don’t waste your time.
Pros
None.
Cons
Staff treated poorly and disrespected
Fun job but not enough contracted hours.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southend1 May 2018
I go to work and work on the tills, refill stock and assist customers with their needs. I also help with moving stock around the store and move it into the stockroom when required. The management is not too bad but we have changed managers a few times. I personally think the manager I have now is a great one. I learn a lot in the 2 years I have been in like customer service skills and working on the tills.

I personally enjoy putting the product out but the only thing I don't like about the job is the contracted hours I get and the salary I get. It is not too positive.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Great people
Customer service on the tills (Former Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire26 April 2018
Great employers and ok management. Hours were good for students
Helpful staff whatever day of the week to get your induction done and to get a feel of the workplace.
Not too much pressure.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Not enough pay
Poor
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead20 April 2018
Not a good place to work, do not treat employees with respect and expect to work long hours with minimal break. Management is laughable. Pay is rubbish in comparison to the work. Wouldnt recommend
Easy for a first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath, Greater London3 April 2018
Not as professional as you think. However friendly environment. Good hours but if you are under 18 the payment can be stressful at only £4.06 an hour.
Pros
Good starting job
Cons
Under payment for under 18
Good staff poor pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside26 March 2018
I think the pay should go up the staff work very well on min wage but customers seem to ask for alot you would mind if you was on more hours moving things from Valentine's to mothers day the staff work hard give 100% but very poor pay . And also staff rooms not really nice sitting in .
Pros
Discount on goods
Cons
Long hours stock takes and pay rubbish
Not exactly hard work.
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire26 March 2018
I really enjoyed working at Card Factory. You may be on minimum wage as a sales assistant but it isnt exactly hard work. You do deal with the public by being on the till and helping them find where certain products are in the store. I worked in the Ross on Wye branch and it's a small store so it wasnt hard helping people find the products they need. other duties included filling helium balloons which is easy. Product filling which isn't hard as all products are light. also sweeping and taking their profits to the bank whichisnt hard at all. Ideal for students like me as salary did not bother me and the work was really easy.
Pros
easy work
Cons
salary
pants
Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside23 March 2018
pushed to the limit no rewards, long hours no pay, no support
expect everything give nothing, if you want no home life this is the job for you low pay just above staff
Pros
non
Cons
lots
Customer Assistant
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire4 March 2018
Terrible to work for sadly. Long hours for minimal pay along with short breaks. Managers there are tough and unsympathetic. I would also note that there is almost no career progression opportunities at all.
Cashier/Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot Town2 March 2018
A productive work place Great work hours manager always around to help the hardest part is getting something wrong most enjoyable is listening to music in work
Pros
Free lunches
Average retail shop
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walall24 February 2018
Nothing too special. working weekends, bad pay. good management, random guy comes in off the high street and robs things. friendly staff. bugger to work there at Christmas.
Pros
discount
Cons
rude customers.
It was great fun and all the girls were really nice
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey16 February 2018
I would consider going back to work there if i had the chance to as i really did like it and it was a great atmosphere to work in to and all the girls i worked with were good fun to they made me laugh and we were always there to help eachother
Pros
If we bought a product it would half price
Cons
Very productive work place, minimal rewards
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Crawley5 February 2018
Always on your toes, there is always something to do which is good for business.
Management, is hit and miss, some of the management are fantastic and helpful, but most that I found are far too stubborn and metaphorically blind.
Pay is not great considering the tasks and role at hand, anything above a normal sales assistant is just not worth it unless you become area management or higher.
Over all I wouldn't recommend working for the company unless its a temporary experience as you'll get dragged in and under.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Salary, rewards and self achievement are non existent.
Fun environment to work in, welcoming staff, very polite
Till Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire1 February 2018
I’d say that cardfactory is definitely a nice place to work at and nice people to work with.
They are very good at their jobs and they also make sure that you are having a good time on your first day
Great working team environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Austell31 January 2018
The hours and shift patterns are very flexible management are very concise and precise.I enjoyed working with customers and found the tills easy to use.
Pros
company benefits
Cons
seasonal contract
Fun workplace, but not many hours garantueed
Sales assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames28 January 2018
I started to work at this company at Christmas last year. I worked quite a few days and hours during the holiday. After the holiday I started working only for 4 hours a day, once a week. There are no more hours needed when there's no holiday.
Pros
Lovely and friendly people - easy to get to - in shopping centre
Cons
Not many hours so the payment is low
Great company
Temporary Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London27 January 2018
Working here was hectic as I was working here over the Christmas period but overall a great experience for me .
I gained some valuable till experience.
I usually stayed behind to help clean up the store after hours.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Hectic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Factory. Our community is ready to answer.