Card Factory Pay & Benefits reviews

good place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria17 September 2018
good place to work in good group and good standard of products for price range. short shifts and good breaks. sorting cards and gifts out and serving customers and filling balloons.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
small staff discount and lack of hours out of season
Busy but great staff
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnet, Greater London8 September 2018
Card shop very busy over Christmas. Pay is not very good at all. Staff at the Barnet branch are really nice. Requires a lot of hard work. Would recommend for students looking to earn a bit of money.
Busy workplace at times with good people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Newham, Greater London1 September 2018
The job doesn't require much technical skills just common sense. Busy periods such as holiday seasons; Christmas, Easter etc it used to get exceptionally busy. The people were good people to work with. But the hours and effort one puts in is not reflected in the minimum wage you get. I learned a lot about people management, customer service and interactions etc.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newtownabbey, County Antrim18 August 2018
Fun and good workplace, can be hard work at times with unhappy customers and Christmas is crazy busy as it is a card shop but they sell more than just car
Job
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hailsham6 August 2018
You get payed minimum wage for your age. You get your work schedule a month in advance and can tell your boss the days you do and don’t want to work. Overall I would say pretty decent job.
An Okay Job
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Teignmouth31 July 2018
I was a customer assistant, the job was pretty simple but painfully boring, hours dragged and I overall did not enjoy it, I just don't think it was a job suited to me.
Pros
free drinks offered occasionally from Costa, free of charge
poor pay and busy around christmas / new year periods.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff29 July 2018
poor pay - minimum wage
very busy around christmas / new year periods
messy and untidy environment
many left after a month or two of working
understaffed
Busy!
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glossop, Derbyshire25 July 2018
Good variety each day, able to interact with customers.
Hardest part was the long hours.
Sometimes felt we were short staffed.
Good training, manager was very approachable
Easy job if your expectations are not too high
3rd Key-holder/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester23 July 2018
PROS
Friendly regular customers
Free uniform
15% staff discount on full priced items
pension scheme

CONS
No official training given, everything is learn't on the job from other employees whether experienced or not.

Employees overall feel demotivated, overworked for little or no appreciation of hard work done.

Management are unrealistic with targets which places heavy pressures on staff, who then feel their voices are not heard when issues are raised as more often then not their ignored.

High turnover of staff, as a result of zero hour contracts, available hours are inconsistent, as the few permanent staff are relied on to take extra hours instead.
Pros
Free uniform, 15% staff discount on full priced items
Cons
Undervalued employee for their hard work
Poor pay for the amount of work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dereham8 July 2018
Stay away the pay is awful and your worked like animals very hard work near Christmas it’s awful definitely not worth the stress, the pay is nowhere near enough for how hard you have to work, the hours do mean you can plan a lifestyle but you’ll be too
Tiered too do anything
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
Hard manual labour
Great Company to work for
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Street, Somerset28 June 2018
Whilst working for this company I had a lot of fun and interesting times a typical day would be sorting out deliveries serving the general public, the hardest part of this kind of retail establishment are when promotional changes happened which means working longer hours but everyone chips in to help out and we always got praised for what work we have done. highly recommend this company
Pros
Great team
Cons
Long hours when promo change
Nice new store
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 May 2018
I do enjoying working for the company. It would be even better if the hourly rate for managment was higher but then I'm sure everyone says that.
Friendly staff good discount and it's close to home.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
The hours are long for management
Great colleagues, everything else is awful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Teignmouth, Devon21 May 2018
This place is exhausting to work for, shifts are all over the place, it's either way too much one week or not nearly enough the next. 9 hour shifts still only warrant a half hour break. Pay is abysmal considering what is expected of you and how draining it is, no energy whatsoever lefover for home life or socialising after a shift.

Had to chase up my pay for an entire month and I'm still waiting for that to get sorted, and what I'm expected is still a horrendously low amount for the work I do. Make sure you log your hours if you consider working here.

Don't expect to be self sufficient and make a decent wage to live off.

Colleagues are fantastic and near enough the only upside to working for this company.
Pros
Colleagues and discount
Cons
Short breaks, long erratic hours, terrible pay (if you do get paid at all) draining repetetive work.
fun easygoing
Christmas Temporary Staff (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne20 May 2018
Card Factory is a easy going fun environment to work in gives you great social skills and is a trustworthy company to work in. it also gives you the chance to learn how to handle money correctly and work a till hands on.
Pros
job roles
Cons
salary
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loughborough13 May 2018
Staff were very nice. It was a great place to work, met so many nice people. Learnt many skills and improved my confidence. I would definitely work at another Card Factory store.
Pros
Lovely staff, long enough lunch breaks, decent hours.
Cons
Standing up for a long period of time will cause back and leg ache.
Awful management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry12 May 2018
Card Factory is not somewhere that you would want to work. If you are contracted 4 hours, you will only get 4 each week as that is the minimum you need to fulfil your contracted hours.

You are on minimum wage. 16-18 year olds are paid just over four pounds per hour. You are only entitled to a half hour break after six hours of work. Breaks are not included in your pay.

The management is poor. The manager at one of the stores in Coventry was informed of the hours I could work, yet she continued to give me shifts that I could not do and telling me it was my responsibility to get another member of staff to cover my shift.

I worked here for four months. For the first two I did not get paid properly. I got paid a back payment after three months of fighting for the money I earned.

I do not recommend working here. Don’t waste your time.
Pros
None.
Cons
Staff treated poorly and disrespected
Fun job but not enough contracted hours.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southend1 May 2018
I go to work and work on the tills, refill stock and assist customers with their needs. I also help with moving stock around the store and move it into the stockroom when required. The management is not too bad but we have changed managers a few times. I personally think the manager I have now is a great one. I learn a lot in the 2 years I have been in like customer service skills and working on the tills.

I personally enjoy putting the product out but the only thing I don't like about the job is the contracted hours I get and the salary I get. It is not too positive.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Great people
Customer service on the tills (Former Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire26 April 2018
Great employers and ok management. Hours were good for students
Helpful staff whatever day of the week to get your induction done and to get a feel of the workplace.
Not too much pressure.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Not enough pay
Poor
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead20 April 2018
Not a good place to work, do not treat employees with respect and expect to work long hours with minimal break. Management is laughable. Pay is rubbish in comparison to the work. Wouldnt recommend
Easy for a first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath, Greater London3 April 2018
Not as professional as you think. However friendly environment. Good hours but if you are under 18 the payment can be stressful at only £4.06 an hour.
Pros
Good starting job
Cons
Under payment for under 18

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Factory. Our community is ready to answer.