Card Factory Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Great place to work, great management and lovely staff.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fishponds, Bristol22 June 2018
Serving customers, filling shelves, blowing up balloons and tidying cards.
I learnt how to blow up balloons such as helium and latex.
Great management.
Big queues.
Serving customers and blowing up balloons.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Short shifts
It's flexible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston18 June 2018
If you're a student this' good. Work hours are really flexible and can bend around what else you have going on in life. It's a pretty chill workplace when it isn't Christmas. However, management and training is awful. So many things I wasn't taught that I had to learn from coworkers that management should've told me.
Pros
Flexible, chill environment
Cons
Lack of communication
Rewarding experinece
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham17 June 2018
This job was a great experience and taught me some major key skills to use in the future, although there was a few cons to the job such as long hours, busy days, customer complaints etc. there were also many advantages such as meeting new people everyday and helping people. this job taught how to be patient and remain calm even in the most chaotic of times.
busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester10 June 2018
setting up the store ready for customers to come a shop, management always made you feel on edge or that you hadn't done enough at any given point, workplace culture wasn't a very nice one as staff would easily turn on one another
Unprofessional workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex5 June 2018
Unequal treatment of employees
Hectic atmosphere
My details for payment weren't taken and as I result I was never paid for a month's work
I was given rude treatment when I decided to leave
They weren't accommodating to my college schedule
Pros
Friendly collegues
Cons
Unfair treatment
Good people, poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire5 June 2018
The job was fine day-to-day, although I was mostly on tills for every shift. Nice people to chat with during hours, but there's an obvious divide between the staff and the management - like the management isn't aware of how busy the shop can be. Even on the busiest days, there would only be 3 or 4 people on the rota due to come in. Within a couple weeks of my time there, I spent quite a bit of time alone at the tills despite there being a lot of customers.
Regardless, there was always things to do, it was simple work, and I never dreaded going in.
Pros
Things to do
Cons
Management, short-staffed
Badly managed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westcroft4 June 2018
At the store I worked in at Westcroft one of the key holders was very rude to all the staff, and even shouted at me in front of customers when I wasn’t at work
Pros
Cons
Bad keyholder
Love it
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ruislip2 June 2018
I love working for this amazing company, the pay it not the best but it is good to start with for your first job, the people I work with are amazing and really nice, if you have considered for applying for card factory don’t hesitate it’s is busy and there is so much to learn and how the company work
Pros
Busy and lots to do, people are nice
Cons
Bad pay
Fun workplace but do not get paid when you should
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 June 2018
I worked as a sales assistant at Card Factory around Christmas time. When I first started working there, I did not get trained so I had quickly pick up the different discounts and offers that were on offer and how to use a till ect which didn’t bother me that much as I felt like I picked up easily while working there. The manager and colleagues were really nice and had no problem with them. However, getting paid on time was a massive issue I had while working here. I worked for three months as it was temporary. I didn’t get paid the first month of working there or my two weeks in hand that I had done. I then got told I would get my two weeks in hand when I left!!! I got my January pay in March when I left work. I still hadn’t received my two weeks in hand when I left work so I had to keep ringing and contacting my manager. However, communication between manager and head office is so poor and you will be waiting ages to receive your money! I also felt like they were giving me so many excuses as to why I wasn’t getting paid when a normal payroll department would sort the money out very quickly. The work was pretty simple and easy and only gets busy during Christmas time/mother’s day and other special occasions like that.
Pros
Manager and colleagues were nice
Cons
Issues with pay
Great colleagues, everything else is awful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Teignmouth, Devon21 May 2018
This place is exhausting to work for, shifts are all over the place, it's either way too much one week or not nearly enough the next. 9 hour shifts still only warrant a half hour break. Pay is abysmal considering what is expected of you and how draining it is, no energy whatsoever lefover for home life or socialising after a shift.

Had to chase up my pay for an entire month and I'm still waiting for that to get sorted, and what I'm expected is still a horrendously low amount for the work I do. Make sure you log your hours if you consider working here.

Don't expect to be self sufficient and make a decent wage to live off.

Colleagues are fantastic and near enough the only upside to working for this company.
Pros
Colleagues and discount
Cons
Short breaks, long erratic hours, terrible pay (if you do get paid at all) draining repetetive work.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire19 May 2018
I have learned after spending five years in retail on a part time basis, that retail is not the avenue I wish to explore, as this for me was a role that helped me pay for my travel to and from university.
Work Space
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe17 May 2018
A typical day would start with the necessary till and safe checks along with daily paperwork then delegating to my team of staff about what needs to be completed by the end of the day any new promotions or stock that have come in, making them aware of any changes if any and also making sure they are confident in what they are doing.
productive and busy
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Sale, Greater Manchester15 May 2018
Working at the Card Factory was a fun learning experience. I was thrown into the Christmas chaos but the team were supportive. I enjoyed working on the tills more than organising the cards.
Pros
good team management
Cons
long shifts
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loughborough13 May 2018
Staff were very nice. It was a great place to work, met so many nice people. Learnt many skills and improved my confidence. I would definitely work at another Card Factory store.
Pros
Lovely staff, long enough lunch breaks, decent hours.
Cons
Standing up for a long period of time will cause back and leg ache.
Awful management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry12 May 2018
Card Factory is not somewhere that you would want to work. If you are contracted 4 hours, you will only get 4 each week as that is the minimum you need to fulfil your contracted hours.

You are on minimum wage. 16-18 year olds are paid just over four pounds per hour. You are only entitled to a half hour break after six hours of work. Breaks are not included in your pay.

The management is poor. The manager at one of the stores in Coventry was informed of the hours I could work, yet she continued to give me shifts that I could not do and telling me it was my responsibility to get another member of staff to cover my shift.

I worked here for four months. For the first two I did not get paid properly. I got paid a back payment after three months of fighting for the money I earned.

I do not recommend working here. Don’t waste your time.
Pros
None.
Cons
Staff treated poorly and disrespected
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kinnaird3 May 2018
This was my very first job that I experienced at retail and it did help me allot, it helped me experience on how working at a busy season was like n how to take on stuff to my future. It helped me learn new things n to try my skills out.
Fun and friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn3 May 2018
Very friendly working environment to be in. Stores are clean and easy to navigate. Efficient in operation and makes for a great working experience to be a part of.
Pros
Friendly welcoming atmosphere amoungst staff
Cons
Hard to choose any cons.
Fun job but not enough contracted hours.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southend1 May 2018
I go to work and work on the tills, refill stock and assist customers with their needs. I also help with moving stock around the store and move it into the stockroom when required. The management is not too bad but we have changed managers a few times. I personally think the manager I have now is a great one. I learn a lot in the 2 years I have been in like customer service skills and working on the tills.

I personally enjoy putting the product out but the only thing I don't like about the job is the contracted hours I get and the salary I get. It is not too positive.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
awful and terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stretford, Greater Manchester28 April 2018
terrible place to work the manager at the Stretford store is an awful boss and an awful person, all of the other employees thought that when i worked there also.
i was overworked and only paid 4 pound per hour and when i booked Christmas eve off 3 months in advance i had to work it because the manager gave it to a Christmas temp even though i had booked it, this was quite a regular thing with my days off, where i had booked them of and still had to work.
the manager goes for smoke breaks every five minutes whilst i only had one half an hour break working the whole day.
This job was starting to get in the way of my education because we had no staff because of the manager so i had to cover shifts during college time.
Fun day
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  \milton \keynes24 April 2018
.Busy day at work.
Settling playing with children and helping in play, Art & Craft work,
Learning about different cultures.

The hardest part of the job was to have their attention.

The most enjoyable part was to see them listen and engage in talking to teacher.
Pros
Make sure the child has eaten the lunch provided
Cons
Sleeping, Tired

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Factory. Our community is ready to answer.

Card Factory Reviews by Location