Card Factory Employee Reviews for Assistant Manager

Found 58 reviews matching the search See all 1,129 reviews
The dole is a better prospect!!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire16 January 2019
Absolutely terrible place to work. The teams are often great but as soon as you hit management and area management it changes. HR do nothing with complaints of miss management you're expected to work up to 14 hours a day, changing shifts all the time, no gratitude and you're treated like dirt, complete dirt! Avoid fareham at all costs!!! Turnover of staff is like nothing I've seen in 20 years, people pushed out or literally worked to breaking point. I stayed for 3 months and watched 2 managers and 2 assistant managers walkout not to mention the floor staff that went
Pros
Team of sales assistants
Cons
Everything else, Area Manager is a nightmare!
Homophobic manager and horrific pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  East Grinstead, West Sussex21 November 2018
Don't work for the East Grinstead branch! My time there was abysmal. Called homophobic terms daily by my manager and screamed at for issues that were no fault of my own. Supervisor/assistant manager wage is disgustingly low and your not paid for overtime.
Pros
Cons
Management and pay
Avoid
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry2 January 2019
A job suited to those who want limited hours, it is a very tedious place to work overall store management very rarely leave their chairs. There is without an issue with Health and safety especially when it comes to working behind the till / counter.
Pros
Going Home.
Cons
Very boreing.
Poor workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, North Ayrshire30 July 2018
Card Factory have no Job Work/Life Balance at all especially on seasonal events as you could start work at 8am and don't finish until 7pm with inadequate breaks.
Nice new store
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 May 2018
I do enjoying working for the company. It would be even better if the hourly rate for managment was higher but then I'm sure everyone says that.
Friendly staff good discount and it's close to home.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
The hours are long for management
love love love
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newtownabbey, County Antrim3 November 2018
We use cookies to personalise and enhance your experience on our site. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy for more information on our data collection practices. By clicking "Accept" you agree to our use of cookies for the purposes listed in our Cookie Consent Tool.
Accept
enjoyable
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Clevedon, Somerset11 June 2018
i enjoyed working at card factory, i was well respected as a person and a manager, rota was always completed on time and i was able to have a work life balance
Poor pay for the amount of work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dereham8 July 2018
Stay away the pay is awful and your worked like animals very hard work near Christmas it’s awful definitely not worth the stress, the pay is nowhere near enough for how hard you have to work, the hours do mean you can plan a lifestyle but you’ll be too
Tiered too do anything
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
Hard manual labour
Miracle performer and magician for slave drivers.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lanarkshire20 April 2017
National minimum wage regardless of position or time served.
Constantly short staffed and performing hard back breaking work while receiving a pittance for a wage and working out of hrs.
No praise from senior management for all the hard back breaking work that's above and beyond the call of duty, just more stress and problems.
Not enough hrs in the wk never mind a day to complete everything that's expected in just a few hrs. Having to stay behind after hrs to get it finished. No breaks in peace because not enough staff.
It's a ridicoulsy shocking company to work for. Would not recommend it.
Pros
Cons
All of it
enjoyable work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire19 August 2018
started as a xmas temp and worked my wat uo to assistant manager so good job progression. always someone on the other end of te phone is need any help.
It was ok
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 April 2018
I worked in different stores over 4 years and they aren't very appreciative, apart from the managers who aren't told. There is not a very good work/life balance, especially weekends and occasions like Mothers Day, unless you're the manager and don't have to work those types of days.
The team i work with are lovely like a second family
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Deal14 May 2018
The team I work with are a laugh wich helps when you spend a lot of time together
The running of the shop is normally the same day to day other when there is a season like fathers day
The hardest part of my job is Christmas the customer can get verbal to you and some times hurt you it dose happen though out the year but Christmas is the worst
The best bits are helping the older generation they love a chat and are so greatful for your help
Hard work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolton29 December 2017
long hours and not getting paid for it
paid not enough for what they wanted for it
no real benefits at all
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Horrible place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom11 May 2014
I started as an Xmas Temp and quickly progressed to Assistant Manager and it is by far the worst company to work for. You get no praise, constant moaning by your superiors, rubbish pay and rubbish benefits. The stress of the job is most of the time unbearable and is not worth the 'competitive salary' they off (This being £6.19 for a sales assistant and £6.55 for an Assistant Manager!).

Don't ever work for the company. That's the summary.
Pros
None.
Cons
Too many to list.
a day of work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, ENG17 September 2013
working at card factory wasn't so great. The area manager and the other bosses higher took advantage, expected so much to do in so little time. The decent thing about this job is that every employee worked alongside each other to get things done. Start the day off by getting tills ready and all paperwork done, filling 6 card racks up and filling all the stock around the shop. Getting ques down, filling balloons displays up. the hours on a normal day was okay but when it came to certain time of the year i.e Christmas, valentines day, Easter. the hours was ridiculous. The management understood each other and helped alongside each other to get every person together to get things done, the manager herself was hard working.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
long hours and being took advantage of
Could have been great, if it had better leadership.
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Derry13 March 2013
If you are going to work at card factory as management team prepare to work long hours for free!! When I started as assistant manager I was given zero training!!! This seems to be the case through out the company though, no one gets much training. I had a lovely manager who worked really hard but was never good enough for the area manager. She was replaced by what I would call a child, who was just playing shop! The new manager boosted about getting people sacked through fake customer complaints!!! She didn't even bother doing day to day paper work, and was more interested in back stabbing about other people within the company!! Very unprofessional. The card factory would have been a lovely place to work, if they trained people more.
Pros
fast paced environment, great value product
Cons
they really need to make sure they give store managers proper training, and maybe do some back ground checks!!!
Busy but fun
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset6 October 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with the customers and heling them to find what they are looking for. My typical day will involve being on the till to start with and then going on yo fill product or cards depending on what has been delivered that day. The hardest part of my job is trying to do all I need to do in one day as we are a very busy store.

I have learned how to work well in a team and how to lead a team successfully. I have also learned to have more confidence in my own abilities.
Pros
Good working relationship with fellow employees
Okay-ish
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Epsom, Redhill, East Grinstead, Sutton2 October 2016
Started at Card Factory at 17 (now nearly 21), and would recommend to anyone looking for a first job as this would be perfect to zone in skills. Card factory will ask a lot of you for not a lot in return (the pay is awful), however for those that need experience in cash handling, customer service, replenishment and dealing with area and regional managers this is a great first job or experience!

However, for those looking for a long term job or career, Card Factory is a very bad choice due to very long hours, covering lots of different stores and awful pay.
Pros
Experience/advancement
Cons
Long hours/bad pay
Friendly work place easy going atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Wantage, Oxfordshire5 April 2018
Nice place to work friendly staff members busy working pace
Always something to do . From tidying cards to putting delivery away . inflating balloons.
Good range of cards and balloons to choose from
Pros
Good working hours easy to get to
great fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grays, Essex10 April 2018
very fast paced. always active. Great instore training.i worked here over the xmas time. It was well organised. very adaptable to your avaliable working patterns
Pros
always busy
Cons
hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Factory. Our community is ready to answer.

Card Factory Reviews by Location