Card Factory Employee Reviews in Newcastle upon Tyne

See reviews about:
Found 16 reviews matching the search See all 1,008 reviews
Great job and support
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear4 February 2018
Fast paced job with experienced people to help you along the way, never a dull moment and a manager with a gr at sense of humour. Will definitely be trying to go back for the 2018 Christmas period
Pros
Day goes fast during holiday seasons
Cons
Part time staff only get a T-shirt so it can get cold on the till for Christmas
fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne14 September 2017
i really enjoy working at the card factory at christmas time it always very busy around that time of year and all the staff were very welcoming and helpful
Christmas temp
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear31 July 2017
Always got given shifts no one else wanted, 0 hour contract, wasn't made to feel like part of the team just a number to help through busy christmas period.
customers and staff
Manageress (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear13 May 2017
loved the shop and customers where i worked but head office and senior management expected to much of you giving you time scales that where impossible
Pros
depending on what shop you work
Cons
where do i start
Hard work but fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear22 January 2017
The Card Factory is a hard working fun place to work in, management are great and everyone is very friendly. You learn all about seasonal cards and products and setting up displays set out on plans. You also operate tills and also guide customers to where the item is that they are searching for. There is alot of interaction with customers
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Alot of toing and froing with cards and sorting product displays
friendly work place
Part-time Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear8 January 2017
It is quite a demanding job and always busy. No two days are the same. I meet lots of new people on a daily basis and I have made great friends within my co-workers. I have learnt how to work to deadlines and good time management. The best part of my job is working with the public and providing great customer service and satisfaction.
Not good
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear2 December 2016
I didn't enjoy my time they cause I did t get as much respect of the other workers as I was giving them which was upsetting because I am a friendly person who likes to get along with people and be civil and make money
Pros
Not paid lunches
Cons
20 hours a week
Dull workplace
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle12 November 2016
Awful wages if you're under 16. Only 4 pound per hour. Most of the staff are very unfriendly and one of the managers made me pick up chewing gum for going to the toilet. If you're a temporary retail assistant for example a Christmas worker, you are likely to only get 4 hours a week and if you ask for overtime you are unlikely to get it. There are a few friendly people, but I found that these were only the new workers/temporary sales assistants just like me. I got on well with those but the staff who work there permanently are generally unfriendly and don't care about the temporary workers.

A typical day working there is going in for your shift 10 minutes early so you can count your till float and set up your till. You then serve the customers on your till and when the queue is small you tidy the cards and replenish the stock. At Christmas time the queues are very unlikely to go small as it's VERY busy. 15 minutes before your shift is over you will be taken off your till by a manager and have your till float counted.

At Card Factory I learned some things like how to work a till, improving my communication skills, replenishing stock and tidying the store. I learnt a lot of this in my work experience at Debenhams but I was only there for a week so I learnt all this in a lot more detail at Card Factory.

When I worked there we had a manager who was rarely there as she worked in different stores. Therefore we had Assistant Managers who looked after our store on different days. We had 5 different assistant managers. Two of them were quite lazy and couldn't be bothered but
  more... they were okay to their colleagues. Another was extremely horrible and rude and will make you pick up chewing gum for going to the toilet. As a whole they were pretty bad as you will get no training whatsoever and aren't usually interested in helping you if you're struggling. My wages were also messed up as I got paid for 3 shifts instead of 4 in the first month.

Most of my co-workers were friendly as we were all in the same boat. We were all temporary workers so we were all in the same situation. Some were nicer than others as some were easy to chat to when there were no queues while others were maybe a bit shy to talk but we always helped each other when we were stuck with something.

The hardest part of the job was going because I always had a feeling of anxiety going. I was worried about what bad thing was going to happen today as something always did and even at the end of the month I didn't even have anything to look forward too because the wages were so little.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people who were working with me and improving my communication skills with customers. You meet so many customers in Card Factory especially at Christmas time as it is so busy and therefore you have to be quite confident in any busy retail store for obvious reasons.
Pros
met a few nice people
Cons
no overtime, bad pay, unfriendly staff, few hours
No positions were available.
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne21 January 2016
This was my first job as a stock assistant. Sadly i was on a voluntary scheme and the manager had no positions available at the time. Staff friendly. Great place if your looking to keep busy.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Short of staff on busy periods.
Busy work place friendly staff
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne18 January 2016
Serving customers, filling stock, cash handling etc. I have learned Excellent customer service skills, patience, product and cash handling knowlege, mangement skills due to being a supervisor. Co-workers are generally friendly and easier to get along with. The hardest part of the job role is the pressure of the amount of customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Pay
productive and fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne8 January 2016
my manager was very pleasant and nice to work with a typical day at work would revolve around me bringing in stock that has been delivered and placing it on to shelves creating displays
Pros
free lunch
Cons
nothing
An ok place to work
Acorn dentist, Gosforth (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG3 June 2014
While working at the Card factory i enjoyed the time i spent there it helped me gain experience of tills and talking to the public.
fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG21 February 2014
customers made it enjoyable, overall good company to work for
card factory
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  newcastle upon tyne26 November 2013
brilliant place to work alltho it was only work experiance had a good time while i was there
Was ok.
Sales asst. (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon tyne.23 January 2013
I spent my shift cash handling.Sometimes management were abit misleading.My co-workers mostly were ok.Dealing with angry customers wasnt much fun.Im very a people person so enjoyed the banter.
Pros
wasnt a hard job todo.
Cons
was told had a contact until june 2013 at my interview.