Card Factory Employee Reviews in London

feel like quitting.
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 December 2017
ever since the start i've hated working here. it drains me out by the end of my shift and if i work for 6 hours i get no breaks. i barely got any training, i literally got help from my colleagues on how to do things. the managers are really not helpful. i really hate how everything is displayed in the store aswell, especially at the till. its so difficult to serve customers because of things in the way and there's barely any room to put things there. everyday i regret applying for this job and i feel like quitting. i have little free time since i have uni and this job. whilst there are bad things about working here, the workers are really nice + friendly. they are probably the reason why i don't feel like quitting sometimes. some managers are nice whilst some i don't rlly feel comfortable being around. i'm literally just staying on for experience and i need money. i don't think it's a good place to work for students, they don't really take that you're a student into consideration.
Pros
friendly colleagues + experience
Cons
30 min break for shifts over 6 hours + little training + very tiring and draining
Decent
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London1 December 2017
As a young person still studying 4 A Levels the job is extremely flexible however sometimes are not very sensitive to the fact that I am a student and it isn't a very 'fun' place to work
Not interesting
Sales Assistant (London) (Former Employee) –  London5 July 2017
Slave type
Management too bossy salary do not match the amount of work
You feel like you're doing your job and the manager's tasks as well.
Had to leave
Pros
Nothing interesting
Cons
Long hours lots of cleaning and displaying
very friendly working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  london20 June 2017
i get on well with others i am a hard working person a team player as well as working on my own the customers are very polite and are willing to ask for help
Pros
free luches
Cons
i talk to much
ok
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 April 2017
was a ok place to work at staff wasn't really much help i had to learn and teach myself a lot of things just by watching other people which i didn't mind because i took what i learnt to other places
Pros
blowing up balloons
Cons
money wasn't good for the work you do
It was a good job but it could be improved in some areas
Retail (Former Employee) –  London6 March 2017
All in all i think that Card Factory was an ok place to work in. However, it did at times have a lack of structure and also had managers that weren't that good at their job.
workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 February 2017
• To sell product, offer guidance and product knowledge where required and to maintain excellent standards of customer service at all times whilst adhering to company policies and procedures
• Advise customers of product location and where possible take them to the exact product
• Promote a happy and welcoming atmosphere within the store
• Price stock correctly and merchandise in line with company procedure
• Assist with maintenance of the stock room
The hardest part of the job was putting the cards in their right order at the end of the day. The most enjoyable time was when i was actually on the shop floor greeting people as they walked in the shop
Very Unorganised and Rude
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London30 November 2016
Most of the staff are rude and/or unpassionate. The shop was understaffed due to people leaving and they did not know what to do with me so i was left with nothing to do until someone told me to do something. The staff hated each other maybe more so than the job itself! The real kicker came when I told my manager I was leaving then the assistant started making hilariosly snide comments such as "we hired imbeciles" and more use of the word "imbecile" directly in front of me. I left to find better jobs i can be passionate about and i recommend people to check out the store first before rushing in. I also recommend working here if you absolutely have zero places to go.
Pros
experience? But even that is not justified
Cons
Most of the staff were rude, Zero motivation to work, Very unorganised and pretty much everything else is bad
Productive workplace
Sale assitant (Former Employee) –  London25 October 2016
It very good place to work for where you will learn a lot new stuff as well where gain knowledge on how to use the till how to stock item properly and in the correct order.
Pros
Learn alot
Cons
Not good pay
Productive, social.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London10 October 2016
I learned many skills such as improving customer service skills and helping customers on a daily basis due to my role. This job made me improve in my social skills and understanding of different individuals and gaining friendly relationships with customers.
Pros
Very enjoyable on a daily basis.
Cons
Not much salary.
loved my managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London6 August 2016
Card Factory overall is a fun place to work, because here they do all occasions, events, celebrations and greeting cards, gifts, souvenirs, calendars, diaries, stationaries, balloons (helium, latex), gift wraps and lots other things. Its a big chain of stores in UK.
Very busy environment but had a very good set of colleagues.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London17 April 2016
It was mostly always busy and I rotated my day working on the tills or the shop floor replenishing stock and keeping the store tidy. Some days I spent the whole shift keeping the warehouse in order and unpacking new deliveries from head office. I learned a lot about team work and how important it is too always try and help each other so our days were easy. I also learnt about excellent customer service and how to talk to any customer regardless of there mood. The management was really good in all aspects and ran the store very well. My co-workers were reliable and fun to be around. The hardest part was customers who were upset about the long queue as the store was always busy and they would complain even if all the tills were being manned. Serving a satisfied customer.
Pros
Discount on Cards
Cons
From start to finish, hectic day.
Sales Assistant - Christmas Temp (Current Employee) –  London21 February 2016
Good environment, happy to work there, everyone seems to work well as far as helping everybody. Glad to work there, good place to help people
Pros
timing
Cons
less break
High expectations with MANY other issues all on minimum wage
Customer Service and Overall Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sout West London Branch23 March 2015
For the Minimum wage you will be asked to work unpaid hours as a "favour" and if you don't due to having a life the manager will cut your hours out of spite. If they call you last minute to come in and you are unable due to other out of work circumstances, they will cut your hours as well because they don't view you as beneficial for the operations of the store when they need you. At this point which is a fact they will not consider whether a family member is on their death bed or you are extremely ill.

Some weeks you will get 4 hours but yet demand one to put them as a priority drop everything else and if you're lucky you will get more hours.

No health and safety adherence from my own experience physical and verbal abuse by colleagues or even management is classed as normal.

Hard work is not recognised and motivation is not evident from management, team work is there on the good days. Management will expect you to work as a team for them when they need it such as working for free during stock takes which takes at least 2 full working days

You will only get half an hour break but those who smoke are given breaks inbetween and you are made to feel that you are not even entitled to a break and you're close to loosing your job if you consider taking your hour or half hour break during a full day shift sometimes not at all, from what I know this is actually illegal

There is very little opportunity for growth unless as previously stated.....you work free hours as a "favour"

The fact that employees work for free shows that either the head office doesn't understand
  more... how the shops operate and what is required or management doesn't utilise the hours they have appropriately
No consistent hours, your wage will vary from month to month

Most importantly it is made difficult as an employee to have any form of contact to the HR or Head Office ..due to this you have no form of employee protection and rights.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Everything else
friendly but repetitive
Retail Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ENG9 October 2014
Its non stop working at card factory which I enjoy as I like to be kept busy but it can be very repetitive. I work with a great team and everyone is very friendly and welcoming.
The hardest part of the job is how repetitive it is and its not a very challenging.
The enjoyable part is when you get really nice customers.
Cons
late finish
Just A Normal Work Day
Stock Replenishment & Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ENG22 January 2014
A typical day at work for me would be get up around an hour and a half before I start the job, provided I still have enough time to get to work early, 'Early bird catches the worm' I say.

I've learnt that no matter how hard you try to keep the shop tidy, customers always find a way of messing it up or putting objects where they never found them.

Management was good, I had my timetables on the wall and also had one printed so I always knew when I was working.

I feel like I can say that myself and previous co-workers get along good and have a laugh, But know when to hold it back when working to not distract eachother.

The hardest part is working under pressure - Example; I'd be working on the till on my own and the queue would be constantly building up, I can cope but It's always easier to have someone by your side on occasions.

The most enjoyable part of the job is, Once your comfortable within the branch of a company and you get to know all your colleagues and managers. Over time you feel like one big family. It's a good feeling. So you can be happy and have fun at work without it getting in the way of your job and priorities.