Card Factory Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Rewarding experinece
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham17 June 2018
This job was a great experience and taught me some major key skills to use in the future, although there was a few cons to the job such as long hours, busy days, customer complaints etc. there were also many advantages such as meeting new people everyday and helping people. this job taught how to be patient and remain calm even in the most chaotic of times.
Easy job, bad management
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 June 2018
I worked at the card factory for a few months over the Christmas period. It was good in terms of how easy it was, it's not brain surgery. I didn't dread going in, everyone got on well and the customers were fine.

The only bad parts were the management and the pay. The management was awful because the manager and assistant manager would always go out for a cigarette, 3 or 4 times during my shift and for about 15/20 minutes at a time. I was left in charge of the shop all on my own, and if a customer needed a refund or to speak to a manager I'd have to make them wait 20 minutes for the manager to come back from their cigarette to sort it.

At the end of each shift you had to sweep the floors and tidy the cards, which you didn't get paid for. If the tills were wrong when the managers were cashing up then you'd have to stay even longer. My shifts ended at 8pm and I always ended up leaving at 9/9:30pm and never got paid the extra hour/hour and a half. The pay was really low for minimum wage and my age.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
A lot of unpaid hours, bad management
fun workplace
Sales Assitants/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 November 2017
I liked working there with the people it was hard work and it was fun working with the people it was a happy workplace and I enjoyed working there and the people was friendly.
Enjoy, though not enough work
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 September 2017
Decent breaks and a enjoyable place to work and gain experience. Flexible management and flexible with shift choose, though at the cost of a lack of shifts.
Good starting Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 June 2017
Working at Card Factory is a very good starter jobs as it can ease you into a working life. Your not expected to do anything amazing and the working environment is very nice. There are very limited advancements available in my opinion and the salary isnt great as it offers minimum wage.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 February 2017
Working Card Factory is a fun if you put the hard work in. Typical day at Card Factory includes putting deliveries away, tending to customers and working at the till.
terrible company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 February 2017
What's good about working for Cardfactory? Minimum pay, zero hour contacts and being bullied on a daily basis by your manager. You are expected to work over at the end of your shift but for no extra pay. Assistant manager only get 20p an hour more than the minimum wage but are expected to work at least an hour over every day for no pay at all. This is a company that tells you Christmas day is your rostered day off.
Pros
Cons
everything
good place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 February 2017
good place to work but working weekends
good managment training was done really well if i didnt feel confident they would support me
Dreadful!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 December 2016
I worked as Christmas temp staff. The pay is terrible and the treatment of staff by management is unacceptable! Changing your rota without informing you. Backstabbing staff in front of other members of staff. Management shouting in a member of staffs face because they had made a mistake! Very negative attitude by management. Shop staff were really friendly and helpful but all of them looked miserable. No positivity no thanks for coming in early and helping out. No training given. I would never recommend this company to anyone unless they are desperate!
Pros
Cons
Poor management, bad hours, shift changes last minute
fun, friendly, enjoyable and productive work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands29 November 2016
I enjoyed working for the card factory because I learned a lot of new skills that have helped me with other jobs and I enjoyed working along other colleagues and customers.
the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with all the customers and helping them with any queries they have.
Good Starter Job
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, Bearwood30 June 2016
The job consisted of working on the tills, serving customers, maintaining the shop was stocked up and supplied with the correct items. Carrying out day to day plans to make the shop look better, making sure that the shop was clean and tidy before the customers entered the shop so that there wasn't any accidents within the shop. Meeting all the health and safety procedures.
I was trained up as a third key holder, to open and close the shop when the manager wasn't there, i was given the opportunity to keep all the money secure and to do till checks when needed, and helping customers with there needs.
I left this job as the hours wasn't set and they kept on dropping so i left the job to find more hours of work.
But i really enjoyed my time working there.
The worst EVER
Supervisor/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG29 January 2016
In my experience they are the worst company to work for. Working conditions were appalling, weren't allowed heating in the winter and no air conditioning in the summer. Company do not care about the well being of the staff at all as in the shop I worked in we all got medical conditions from the conditions in our stock/staff room. In my year and 6 months of working there it was extremely rare that I had a break as we were only allowed two members of staff in store at one time making it impossible to leave the other person on their own especially as non management staff were not fully trained on the tills and the balloon canister was situated in the stock room. The wage is extremely poor, I was only paid supervisor hours when I was not working with the manager or assistant manager. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because of the other members of staff, however towards the end it was clear I was being taken advantage of as I was given the hours no one wanted to work and doing more than what I was paid for. In addition to all of this, I had to be at work 15 minutes before my shift started and never got out on time as there was only two of us and we weren't allowed to leave until all the banking and paper work had been completed, often spending an extra 30-45 minutes at work unpaid.
Pros
Cons
everything
poor pay and hours but management and atmosphere good
Store sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG4 July 2015
seasonal temp position so the pay and hours were not good or sociable resulting in little pay and only working on average once a week, the skills i gained were very beneficial how ever and the management were very kind and the atmosphere great
fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG29 January 2015
A typical day at Card Factory was meeting new people everyday and helping out the elderly to read cards and find one that was suitable for them. However we didn't have cards that meet everybody's needs which lead to disappointment for some customers.

I Learnt A lot from working at Card Factory, I Learnt how to use the Till and Card Machine also and how to ring up my Till at the end of my shift. Also learnt how to organize the shop floor by looking at the layout what the manager gave out.

By working at Card Factory it was good to get along with all the c-workers as we had to work as a team to get all the work done and re-fill the shelf's. Also we had to carry boxers as a pair from upstairs/downstairs with new and old stock. Working in a team is a big part of any job so by working at card factory it was a starting point to build my confidence and bonding skills.

The most enjoyable -part of the job was helping out people like the elderly or sometimes disabled people. Our shop was very small so sometimes wheelchairs couldn't access the sop when we were having a busy day so my job was to ask to customer what they was looking for and help them to the best ability as i could, which would make my day knowing I've helped other people out.
Pros
The Pro's was if you got all the work done you got to help customers out even more, also make the shop look tidy for any customers that were coming in.
Cons
When working at Card Factory I was part- time and didn't get enough hours that i wanted.
Temporary Seasonal Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham31 March 2014
Get on with people, friendly staff and management, wide range of tasks to complete - different things to do, deal with a wide range of people
fun place to work
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG3 December 2013
I enjoyed my time at the card factory.
things have changed a bit since i was last there but it kept me busy and i always enjoy learning new things
i have known the manager for yrs but the new assistant i didnt know but i always enjoy making new friends where i work
it was trying to keep everyone happy when its really busy.
making sure the customers have what they need
Pros
brilliant company to work for and lovely staff to work with
Cons
some times long hrs
productive and fun place to work
sales advisor (Current Employee) –  birmingham24 November 2013
a typical day at work would be me being on tills. I would count my till sign to say I have the correct amount in my till and then start serving customers. when the shop is quiet I would tidy around the shop or see if my colleagues need any help with what they are doing. when you enjoy your job I don't think there are any hard parts, the most enjoyable part of my job Is that were all like a little family, we always help each other out. management is good but sometimes I think that there can be room for improvement.
fun productive workplace
sales rep (Former Employee) –  birmingham7 January 2013
The card factory is like a big family. Everyone is really bubbly and hard working as well as relaxed.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
no cons
Fun Friendly enviroment
Sales /Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham19 July 2012
A typical day at work would be to meet new customers everyday learn new things, move the store around make general appearance some good for customers each and everyday , serve the public with happiness and respect.

Everyday i would learn something new that i didn't no before as that was the attitude i went to work for , learning new things.

The other workers in the store are all very polite and friendly and it has its own little friendship going on inside the building.

Everything about the job was enjoyable each and every day.